Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

do rolls not change at 50% equip load

seems like no, but movement speed is faster all around below 50?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 15, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

Oh man, at the first boss and THE SALT IS REAL!

grrrr!

shield helps a lot when he speeds up

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

It's funny how in all these Souls-y games I automatically just assume that shields are useless against bosses. I just always do. Thanks for the advice. I beat him without the shield but I should've tried that.

So let me ask if anyone knows. I rolled a knight. My knight rolled (evaded) like crap.my encumbrance was fairly high.
I put on lighter rogue gear. I roll better. The only stat that changed was my equip weight. I didn't see where my armor stat was worse.

Looking in wrong place? Something I am missing?

open the menu and then hit r2 to change the left panel to show your defense values

Sakurazuka posted:

This game has designed levels, no procedurally generated nonsense, right?

that's right

e: found a secret door i opened with the circle button so i guess run around mashing circle on everything

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 15, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the flanged mace has unique attacks if you hold up while hitting square and triangle. none of the other weapons i've found do that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the game doesn't explain it so when you turn in quests to a leader npc and they offer you a reward, it's something that's going to get refilled every time you rest at a sanctuary like your healing flasks

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Thief mask is 20 minutes in if you're that bothered by your ninja turtle face

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Those 3 bars under your level look like they match the colors of your stats in the menu. It's like a simple indicator of your build for I dunno, videos and screenshots I guess.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you're having trouble parrying the knights you can try breaking their guard for the same effect. If spears can't do it maybe swap to a mace just for them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

Can I leave notes yet?

The item for that is down and left from the sanctuary under the first boss.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Watched a guy use the firebomb items on the first boss and they were hitting for 50 damage, like a fifth of its health. :eyepop:

Fat Samurai posted:

Hmmnn... I got a ring that says something about setting my minimum Stamina level to one third of the max. Also, sometimes there is a difference between my max Stamina/Health and the health I can reach via healing. I don't think it has to do with dying and going hollow. Any idea what that's about?

As you take damage and use spells your maximum health and stamina deteriorate until you die or rest at a sanctuary. Game calls it the wounding effect, at least for hp. There's a ring that reduces it early on.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is there a way to actually increase max HP? None of the basic stats increase it.

Leveling up increases it a little bit

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

holy gently caress saltless are miserable to fight

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

Was picking Hunter an inadvisable decision? They can't seem to parry.

if whips can't do it you could just change to a different weapon or put a shield in your off hand

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i keep expecting the dungeon route to like stop or curl back around or something but it just keeps going deeper and deeper and deeper

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pladdicus posted:

Spoilered for gameplay tips and a creed

As a note you can use a stained page to 'desecrate' an opposing creeds shrine, resulting in a crazy fight. Losing is apart of joining another creed.

I tried this and nothing happened. :(

Maybe because I'm in The Iron Ones?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 16, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Been wondering about the candelabra outside boss rooms, maybe the number of candles lit is estimated difficulty? I've never seen more than 2 lit in my game but I'm seeing more in videos of the same bosses.

E: Like 5 for the smile queen

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vintersorg posted:

Any strategies for the first boss aside from "git gud"?

Since it's all 2D - I can't be a rolling maniac since I just roll into him. :( And he hits so hard!

Just grind up a bit?

You need to be close to roll through him, and being lighter will get you better rolls. You can roll through the lightning shockwaves too, good for the 2nd half of the fight because he'll jump over you. Grenades do tons of damage to him. Like you could probably kill him with 6.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can use the shitloads of money this game gives you to buy a whole lot of buffing items and stuff. they're really good

upgrade mats too

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its driving me crazy that i can't remember where the first red wall i saw was

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

worked out my frustration at the pitchwoods by kicking the assholes at the top of the tower out of their sanctuary :black101:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

everything about the nameless god including the forced damage run to him is bullshit

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://a.pomf.cat/pckfyn.webm

???

I beat the game and it was good. Does anything change on ng+ aside from all the numbers being higher?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 17, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Surprisingly accurate

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can just sell them to a merchant

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Satorr posted:

Queen of Smiles is cake city with a shield.

Man where the gently caress are the brands. All I have is vertigo but man I really want the ones that allow air dashing and wall jumping.

edit: also I give up, someone please just tell me how in the world I can deal with the insane emberskulls in the Castle of Storms. I swear that is the only place I can go that I haven't already been to, but I go in there and those things eat me alive in seconds.

Wall jumping is in the castle and the rest of the game is on the other side of it so good luck. I dunno about the skulls, I was using a great sword so they died in one swing :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I'm completely lost where to go after the Queen of Smiles. I ran around the forest for a bit, but see to find only dead ends there.

iirc you need to head for the right side of the forest to the sanctuary and boss there.

LibbyM posted:

Does it matter where you place your stone clerics (and other similar stone people)? My stone cleric still hasn't sold anything but blessed weapon and in the sphere grid I'm up to class 3 miracles, going on a full faith build. It's annoying.

No. Their inventory might expand as you rank up in your creed by doing work for leaders, but you'll probably find most spells out in the world, usually hidden pretty well like behind fake walls. Different creeds might sell different spells but you'd have to look all that up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kobogartimer posted:

The game crashes on me every once in a while when I try to rest at a sanctuary, and unlike Souls games, it never autosaves. Does anyone else have this happen?

Yup, both times at the first sanctuary on the shore

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You could build to something you want and then remove all the spheres you took getting there, but I don't think you can remove weapon and gear proficiency spheres. I did that for light armor 2 so I could wear something better than the thief armor and just refunded all the dex points.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fuligin posted:

This game is fun, but gently caress ugly. Does color ever get introduced to any of the environments? And on a more gameplay related note, am I supposed to be heading into the Village of Smiles after taking down Sodden Knight?

It's almost always pretty drab but most places are less grey than the starting areas.

Feenix posted:

The Kraeken thing?

I literally ran to him right after fighting and beating the Queen of Smiles and was like WHAT THE gently caress? and then almost beat him with no vials and just my great sword.

By the way, I am converted. I am a beast with a great sword and no shield. A BEAST!

The boss you're looking for is in the top right corner of the woods, The Mad Alchemist. He'll get you a key that will open the way to the top part of the sunken keep. Wiki says the Kraeken is an alternative way to progress but I don't know anything about that. Either way, your goal at this point in the game is to get to the top of the sunken keep one way or another.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the willpower ring increases drop rate more than the drop rate ring :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

holy poo poo poison is crazy. stone roots 4 life

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

man yeah 1 hand sword in the castle is a real bad time

e: maybe through the entire game?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 18, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game does not seem to be balanced very well for daggers and short swords. No reach, no damage, no ability to stagger, and the fast attack speed isn't nearly enough to bring them in line with bigger weps.

Like it's not great when my solution for boss fights is to break out a great sword because even un-upgraded and without any points in str it's still more effective.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 18, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, I can't find any other paths. Bandit's Pass just ends in a dead end and the old man telling me to go back (presumably to do the cyclops route).

EDIT: People mentioned a Jester. How can I get to the Jester boss? From what Sanctuary do I start?

go to the watching woods. once you're there go as far up and then as far right as you can, you'll find a sanctuary and a boss there. after you beat the boss you'll get a key that will open the door on the other side of the sanctuary and let you go around the cyclops.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

So if I like Greatswords I should not fear upgrading it for the worry of wasting upgrade resources on a weapon when I may find a better one, because it's just one I keep upgrading?

Yes. It's like that for all the weapons, you don't really find higher tier ones out in the world much if at all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Genocyber posted:

Question: where do I go to get the air dash brand.

Top floor of the ziggurat. iirc you'll need the red and blue brands to get there.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the worst thing about the flamethrowers is the way they melt your maximum hp

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

For the forgotten king I walked off the opposite ledge and just mashed dodge as I fell :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, you pick it up somewhere way later. IIRC the reward is nothing special.

depends on how you answer his questions i think. he gave me a full set of armor

• Locked thread