Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now, but now that it's about to come out I feel instinct cautioning me, so I too shall join the line of people waiting for first-hand impressions.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The faces in this game look so stupid that they nearly ruined any interest I had in the game. The rest looks decently better at least but I still find it very much like the edgy 13 year old punk rock style you saw all over newgrounds back in the day. Charlie Murder was a huge step up but still. That said, stupid base art style aside these guys always make fun games and I'm looking forward to this once I hear a few impressions. If there's one thing I always like in their games it's their love of slashy squishy violence. It's nice.

Thank you for articulating this, there really is something irritating about how the faces and characters in general look here, and a "Newgrounds" style is absolutely appropriate. If the gameplay is good then fine, I suppose. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey hey, how do I use torches? It's dark and I can't find them in my inventory I'm scared

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, gently caress this Cyclops rear end in a top hat. Once he starts comboing I just get drained of stamina and die. It's harshing my buzz. Is there another route I can take? I don't like this guy but I've already cleared out the Village (I think).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I died and now I'm out of poison items. Where do I get more poison stuff?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

I didn't fight the Cyclops until I was cleaning up 20 hours into the game, so you can leave it for now. I don't recall exactly where I went at that point, though.

Yeah, I can't find any other paths. Bandit's Pass just ends in a dead end and the old man telling me to go back (presumably to do the cyclops route).

EDIT: People mentioned a Jester. How can I get to the Jester boss? From what Sanctuary do I start?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 19, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

go to the watching woods. once you're there go as far up and then as far right as you can, you'll find a sanctuary and a boss there. after you beat the boss you'll get a key that will open the door on the other side of the sanctuary and let you go around the cyclops.

Thanks.

Addendum: Well gently caress THIS new boss in particular. Is there any downside to abandoning my religion to join another one? 'cause I have a feeling this merchant here is gonna sell antidotes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh okay gently caress Retcheaters JESUS

loving STUNLOCKING CHEAP loving ASSHOLES

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wow upgrading your weapon makes a ton of difference. I think I finally found the right one for me, and my battle axe and I are going to cleanse these tainted streets shores!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So the boss in the Castle

loving dragon rear end in a top hat. I got the blacksmith apron on for its fire defense, but his physical attacks just chew me up. I'm level 19; should I be leveling up a bit more before taking him on, or are there some good tricks?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pladdicus posted:

Fire resistant shield inside will help but not with the physical attacks. Learning when to dodgeroll his stuff is key. I went naked and I kind of recommend it for the iframes on that dodge.

Yeah I hosed him up. It's a fun fight, actually, the attacks are all relatively fair.

WHen he flies up high, he's going to carpet spray fire where you are standing when he flies up there. Bait him to do this at the farthest end, then dash down--he'll fly right over you and you could even jump and attack him for extra damage. I used a battle axe and its downward aerial slash was very useful for getting chip damage on him. He's most vulnerable after his tail whip; the tell for it looks like his fire breath, but there's a slight delay, so it's hard to spot but doable.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yo so I beat the Castle and got the special reward, so now I don't know where to go. I thought I could go to the Red Cages place by using that elevator shaft with the cleaver guy in it, but the walls are too far apart, so I don't know where I am supposed to use my new power.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
And there goes 20k salt. loving overpowered Bronze Knight right in front of the Dome boss and while I"m parrying him five times and he' s just not dying, it feels irritating. Guess I'm underleveled for this zone!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Falling to my death sure is fun

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Please tell me this game is long. I just logged on for 3 minutes (I beat Alchemist and Kraken Cyclops earlier today and logged off...) and wander up and to the left and was like OOPS it's another boss (Jester) and just beat him totally unprepared.

Level 30 Knight with the first great sword I ever found. (Keiretsu or some poo poo?) Leveled to 2.

You are pretty high level for that part of the game, but you're still early in yet. You have a really big level coming up and a tough boss at the end of it and then another route split at least.

SLOSifl posted:

-me falling to my death on Tree of Men for the hundredth time

Still haven't died outright to damage in the fight. As far as I'm concerned that bat thing is just part of the boss fight.

I cleared it after four attempts or so; it nailed me with a bullshit sucker punch that ticked me off 'cause I would have won easily if it hadn't got me. This fight sucks on a lot of levels, and it's definitely an attempt to do the Bed of Chaos fight "right" but it has a lot of elements I really don't like, in particular how one of the hit boxes is usually at the very top and center of the screen, so every attempt to attack is going to cost you health from the fall damage. I don't see why they couldn't let you target its legs in that part to bring it down to a more reasonable level. Like pretty much every boss fight in this game, it felt like about half a dozen things getting thrown at me at once, but unlike the other boss fights in the game, this one didn't feel very fun.

Boss looks great though. Absolutely ridiculous in all the right ways.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a cool boss. I've accepted the fall damage but my video game instincts force me to roll after a damaging fall. I'll jump out there and do plenty of damage, fall and then roll right off the edge. It's just frustrating, just like bed of chaos.

Yeah, but somehow it's more insulting because they actually dared to try and fix that lovely fight and in a lot of ways just made it worse. I wouldn't call it an easy boss, but there's an awful lot of luck involved, especially since climbing quickly up collapsing floors has never been entirely consistent as I"ve played.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

I don't think I took any falling damage on the Tree? Wait for him to roar, jump to a higher platform, and hit his head when he lowers it. The only time you should be down by his feet is when he's breathing fire. That was my favorite boss fight so far since it actually had features to its arena.

What weapon were you using? I have an axe, so its reach isn't so great, I usually jumped out and hacked at his dangling bits, particularly 'cause of all the flamethrowers.

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any way to deal with the Kraeken Wyrm's flying breath attack? The loving thing just seems to start spamming it halfway through the battle and I can't hit the drat thing, and I seem to gradually get hemmed in by the side of the screen to the point where I can't even dodge through the flames anymore. It's incredibly annoying as I've got the battle down perfectly otherwise.

He will always swoop down and spray fire at where you were standing when he flew up. So once he hops off the ground, do a jump attack on him, then run to the edge of the arena. Wait a second, then run to the opposite side. He should fly right over your head and breathe fire on where you were. I love it when he spams this 'cause then I can just keep jumping and hitting him for risk free damage until he lands.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, what? He keeps coming in from the side of the screen and breathing fire as soon as he appears. :psyduck:

Something fishy is going on here.

He comes in, but won't start spraying fire until he's close to where you were. It's quite malleable, you'll notice it right away if you have forced him at all towards the left side of the screen, then head right. It's the truth!
EDIT: He comes in from the edge of the platform always, so move that way so the screen moves with you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That dome place is cool but the last challenge is nuts. I don't know why this knight has so much loving hp.

There's a few weird things like that. The hit boxes from Retcheaters is weird too, I've hit them with a fatal blow, only for them to still grab me AND damage me in their grab attack animation before vanishing abruptly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ It is not a covenant. He's offering you a Brand; Brands work like Metroid-style traversal upgrades, and you should accept them when offered.

Feenix posted:

I've beaten jester and alchemist and kraeken, etc... I explored a bit and got items at dead ends... Other than getting the Hager hate open from the right side somehow the only place I seem to have left is the Red Hall? (With the sword zombie right inside...) but it has a NASTY fall and that's about it...

A little guidance, if you please?

Beating the Jester should have unlocked a route to an NPC. They ask you if you want something; answer YES to open up the path forward.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A good rule of thumb in this game is that shields are way more useful overall than they are in Dark Souls; that said, you still suffer to rely on them. The trick to the cyclops, for instance, is to tank all his attacks EXCEPT his overhead swing, which is the only one that you can safely roll behind him for to get some hits in. All the others have a hit box on the opposite end of him to punish you from rolling without pitch perfect timing.

goferchan posted:

Oh I kind of liked the Alchemist, it seemed like a good "lesson" -- I had beaten the other 3 or so bosses up to that point by turtling with a shield and waiting for a chance to do follow-up attacks but all the enemy spawns and poison spam in that fight made that totally futile and the only option was being aggressive. It felt good being forced to switch poo poo up; I think pinning him in the corner is intentionally the optimal strategy given his low HP pool compared to other bosses & how overwhelming the battlefield gets if you drag the fight out.

I enjoy the irony that he is susceptible to poison, although his resistance is decent.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well the boss of Hager's Cave and the big boss of the Dome are both kicking my poo poo in. Is level 45 low? Neither can be poisoned which is rough stuff.

EDIT: In particular the walk back through the Dome really hardcore, is there some better way than the shrine respawn point before the Inquisitor arena? Going through there and then climbing up and killing all those ghosts is murder.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 20, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fuckin' yeah. Beat the Dome. So this boss

He's a lot like a tougher version of the Wyrm fight, really. Like all the big beast monsters his tells are fairly obvious, and this guy is a lot more clear about his attacks than the others. In truth, it's really easy to consistently damage him without taking damage, so the fight only really gets bad in the second half. I went mostly naked, equipped a 100 percent lightning block shield, and just used that and dodges to get through his attacks. The combos at the end all end with a big lightning shotgun-style blast, and he does three attacks always, so wait for the combo to run out before sneaking in a hit or dodging through him. None of his attacks except for the rarely-used homing lightning can hit behind him, so go hog wild, so long as you avoid his small shockwaves.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I beat the dome and these caves and their boss are pissing me off, where else can I go at this point?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fuligin posted:

The run up to disemboweled husk sucks so bad.

Yeah, it's awful and there's no way to circumvent it. Honestly, it's better to kill everything in your path, at least after the armor mite and the buccanneer guys. Once you get to the platform with the archers, you can haul rear end to the boss arena, then wait for whoever followed you to teleport in, kill them and hop to the boss. It's "efficient" as best as I can manage, as bum-rushing them tends to get you killed and fighting everyone drains resources.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Finally beat the Husk and...it doesn't even unlock anything...

:negative:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fuligin posted:

Inquisitor's a chump, but his bird is pretty nasty; it seems impossible to dodge through his almost instakill lightning, and it's windup is too fast to run from.

Which lightning kills you? Don some heavier armor, his tells are really clear and you can slow roll through him. It's safe to attack him any time you are behind him; try to roll through his long wind-ups and remember to block everything else with your shield.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is loving massive. I thought I found a shortcut that looped one side of the world map to the other, but nope, there's even more new areas and new areas and new areas...

Oh and I have to remember to give that guy his bag of earth, sheesh. I wish this game had a map.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

Without spoiling where it is, is that bag of earth the guy wants a random monster drop or is there a place in the world to pick it up

It was dropped by a monster in kind of a weird location. Uh, it's a unique-looking monster, come to think of it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Am I missing something in this Ziggurat or am I going to have to find an alternate entrance to get access to the lower section?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

depends on how you answer his questions i think. he gave me a full set of armor

Really? Fuckin' nice, got that one right on my first go. Kudos to the game if this is the case.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ha ha, the boss of the Mire has the best name.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the Bloodless Prince has a damage bug or something, 'cause for his size, his damage output is pretty low. He's the only boss I've cleared on my first try besides the Jester. This game is goddamn huge.

I like the optional boss, wonder if it's a reference to something.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 21, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megasabin posted:

So it's not really mages that are imbalanced, it's just elemental damage period. I just fought that boss with the blunderbuss everyone talks about having issues with, and I just slapped some lightning damage on my warhammer, and he died in maybe 10 seconds. I think he shot his gun 3 times period. It was the same story for the third lamb as well.

Similarly, high elemental damage mitigates a lot of danger in that fight, although I dig that fire elemental has a damage over time effect.

EDIT: Huh, both of the Ziggurat bosses are pretty easy. Or maybe I'm just getting overpowered now?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 21, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

A multi-char fight in a pitch black pit? I have no idea what you're alluding to.

As for the bloodless prince, I found his body slam to be the worst. The shockwave would always catch me as I tried to roll through his feet.

You can block the shockwave. The optional boss I was talking about was Cran the Ronin.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So far I've killed three bosses on my first go, all here in the endgame in the mid-60's level-wise. Mal was a fun fight; no way I would've won if she wasn't weak to poison.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

You can also parry with a pistol, Bloodborne-style.

^^ what this one said.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the whip any good at all? I like the moveset and kinda wanna do a Castlevania build for my next run.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

I recently got access a sword whip and flint & steel, and I wish you could get cool weapons like this earlier in the game. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's not an easy way to get one of these very early on.

I found a sword whip or saw it available somewhere about...maybe a third in? Since the whole beginning/mid part of the game is sort of open-ended, I'm not sure if my route I took is particularly typical. I think it was alchemy that had it available, so I didn't buy it 'cause dex just ain't my stat baby.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, the approach to the Pitchwoods is just loving awful. Then I get all the way down there, loving Megaman platform bullshit, I fall down, survive, look around for awhile, then I got loving murdered by a goddamn unicorn...narwhal...rear end in a top hat!. This sucks, and it takes ages to get there and doing double air dashes can be finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ The disciple seems to sell largely magic stuff.

What the everloving jesus am I supposed to do to get past these Spindlebeasts?

EDIT: ANd hey, I found this covenant after these poo poo sucking platform sections and there's a bit of hardlight walls up above that are almost close enough for me to jump to, but just out of reach. Am I really expected to air-dash there or...gently caress, I dunno, this is like that tower in GUacamelee but less fun.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread