Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I like everything I've heard about this game and pre-ordered it despite almost never pre-ordering anything (outside of Souls games).

If this sucks I guess I'll never pre-order anything again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

I wish I could play this right now. drat classes! :argh:

I didn't realize I was going to be out of town for two days for work when I preordered it. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I've got the shrouded bulwark (aka buster sword) upgraded to VI, and I just noticed I can transmute it to a Scharfrichter V. The Scharf seems to have half of the base damage, but way better scaling (S vs D), so my overall DPS would go up. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this? I'm worried about losing my trusty buster sword that I've had for a very long time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Any advice for end game stuff? I think I'm in the last area but don't want to be moved into NG+ before going through some clean up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fuligin posted:

Have you hit up the flying castle? The ronin boss?

Got the second, not the first. Going to go look for that now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's kind of weird that my class 4 greatsword does more damage does more damage than the class 5 i can trasmute it to. Am I missing something?

Also I beat the game and can now say it is 100% rad. It's the only thing preventing me from importing Dark Souls 3 at the moment.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
loving hell. Greathammers are awesome.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Having finished the game with giant gently caress off swords, then spending four hours yesterday with a giant gently caress off hammer, I wanna switch it up. What weapons would y'all recommend for a Mage?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

EC probably doesn't want to use another greatsword given what he said. Not a bad idea to start with since it's available early, but a good alternate solution would be one of the magic-scaling swords. Branded Iron for fire, and Shikeimaru for a cool arcane-damage katana (same moveset as all the swords).

I'll look into both of these, thanks.

I made it through Tree of Men and explored the Cavern after, and the boss of that area is just wiping me out. I keep reading that magic is incredibly OP but I have to be missing something. You have a lot more resource management compared to big fuckoff weapons, and it was taking me three or four lightning bolt casts to kill various mobs in the area. I'm using the trifork staff thingee (you find one right at the beginning of the Red Cages, I bought one off the mage merchant earlier) upgraded to IV. Magic stat is somewhere around 36.

What am I missing in a magic build?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Your magic stat is fine; have you been upgrading your staff? Did you find the Lighting Burst/Lightning Barrage spell in the Castle of Storms? If not, go find it; it's incredibly powerful and relatively low cost, it melts enemies easy.

The Disemboweled Husk is weak to holy attacks, so if you can go to a Sanctuary of Devara and pick up some Sacred Pages from a cleric, it can help immensely.

You can stand at range to avoid all of the Husk's attacks, so fight him Megaman style and dodge to the edges of the arena.

Yeah, I have a Scrimshaw Cane upgraded to IV Rowan Crosier upgraded to III, and Lightning Bolt/Barrage are my go to spells. I also have Flame Guardian, which I usually only use for bosses or bigger enemies, and a handful of other spells that are flame based.

Both of the swords Genocyber mentioned are Class 4. That's a lot of skill points in the non magic branch. :( I guess I'll keep using the Arming Sword and Arcane Weapon and see how it goes.

EC fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 28, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I didn't really change anything, but I've beaten the Dome bosses and gotten the second brand on this build. Hopefully it'll pick up from here on out.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Salt & Sanctuary: Just Use Giant gently caress Off Weapons

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game's gonna pick up a fair bit as you get access to more movement options. Take on the Ziggurat next.

I finished the game last week, I'm just rerunning with different builds now.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Yes, but it does make you spray blood out of yourself which makes you take bonus damage when struck.

Yeah, this sounds amazing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The wiki says the last location of the Thief is in the Far Beach, but I can't find her to save my life. I've been talking to her at every location so far so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Edit: actually I'm a dummy, I gotta beat the stupid cavern boss first. gently caress.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I finished my magic run and destroyed the boss in about 5 seconds. Now I'm in NG+ for cleanup, and I'm thinking about trying to eek out a magic only NG+ LP before That Game comes out on Tuesday. I have some questions:

- Why the gently caress don't you start NG+ with your brands? So lame.
- I've pretty much maxed my magic tree. I guess I could get into swords so I could use the magic swords, but that seems dumb now that magic is actually doing real damage and I don't have to worry about focus cost so much. What should I do with these pearls? Class 5 light armor?
- Is there a better staff than the one you can transmute to using the Witch's ear? It's the only class 5 staff I've found so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finally got around to running through NG+ with my magic build, and it's actually a bit harder than I thought. Since I'm using light armor, most bosses kill me in one hit. I'm doing pretty insane damage, though. I'm gonna get everything exported to YT, but here's my 30s Tree of Men kill on twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/notecec/v/59775332

I...might be able to run through the rest of the game tomorrow. I have a feeling once DS3 comes out I'll never touch this again, so I need to hurry up and get these last two or three trophies.

• Locked thread