Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm in. This is preorder-able aka midnight Eastern release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh man, at the first boss and THE SALT IS REAL!

grrrr!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lets hang out posted:

shield helps a lot when he speeds up

It's funny how in all these Souls-y games I automatically just assume that shields are useless against bosses. I just always do. Thanks for the advice. I beat him without the shield but I should've tried that.

So let me ask if anyone knows. I rolled a knight. My knight rolled (evaded) like crap.my encumbrance was fairly high.
I put on lighter rogue gear. I roll better. The only stat that changed was my equip weight. I didn't see where my armor stat was worse.

Looking in wrong place? Something I am missing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm guessing much like Souls, if I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at the Bandit area I should probably head to Village of Smiles instead. Yea?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am a veteran of all Souls games. Somehow this one is proving (at least initially) more difficult.)

I'm rocking a Polearm and Knight starter Shield and am Level 7. I get just past that trap in the beginning of Village of Smiles and the slow moving knight monster with the shield just obliterates me.

Tips?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, pointless "try rolling" messages, how have I missed thee.

In true DS Bigass Knight fashion, he's very easy to parry.

Really? I'm having a fairly hard time with the parry timing on him and am instead just getting my poo poo pushed in.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That knight is causing me to stagger and then doing massive damage. That is mainly my problem. Blocking is ineffectual, it would seem. (for me.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Of course after posting I beat the guy (ledge drop heavy attacks) Man I found a great sword in a hidden area. I had to unequip some weight but gently caress me it is nice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok now that I am sort of figuring out the pace and feel of Dark Souls but in 2D, I am doing better. That said, I think I do have some legitimate grievances with how they hide traps and rising-from-the-ground zombies in such a washed out world. It's hard to make anything out, even being careful.

[edit] Also am I missing the place where it tells me WHY I cannot equip something? I get a red X through the item but the description and stats are not indicative of why I cannot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can I leave notes yet?

AGGH this loving tree-branch part can suck my immortal dick. I fall to my death for the goddamn DUMBEST reasons.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tips for Queen of Smiles?Level 14 Strength Knight with 34 Damage Greatsword and a shield.
No weapon buffs except some poison.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hakkesshu posted:

Use your shield and attack after she rushes past you. I beat her with no healing potions left that way.

More or less what I am trying to do. My Endurance might just not support this weapon, sadly. (I get 2 swings, or a swing and a roll more or less...)

Can you drop poo poo? I have like 10 loving buckler shields...

[ed] Is Endurance even helping with how much "green bar" I have? I feel like I get 2 swings on this great sword no matter what.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Willpower? Really? poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ugh I traveled back to the lady pouring the water statue and now I can't loving find my way back to the Three sanctuary near where the Queen of Smiles is. I go to the right but come to a guy talking about Obelisks and castles. Im lost. gently caress.

[edit] Nevermind went back to first sanctuary where I can offer a guide without breaking covenant.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow thanks for the advice all. I beat Queen with no paper even. I ditched the shield and went 2 handed on my Greatsword which gave me ample maneuverability. She was cake.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lets hang out posted:

iirc you need to head for the right side of the forest to the sanctuary and boss there.

The Kraeken thing?

I literally ran to him right after fighting and beating the Queen of Smiles and was like WHAT THE gently caress? and then almost beat him with no vials and just my great sword.

By the way, I am converted. I am a beast with a great sword and no shield. A BEAST!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Please tell me this game is long. I just logged on for 3 minutes (I beat Alchemist and Kraken Cyclops earlier today and logged off...) and wander up and to the left and was like OOPS it's another boss (Jester) and just beat him totally unprepared.

Level 30 Knight with the first great sword I ever found. (Keiretsu or some poo poo?) Leveled to 2.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've beaten jester and alchemist and kraeken, etc... I explored a bit and got items at dead ends... Other than getting the Hager hate open from the right side somehow the only place I seem to have left is the Red Hall? (With the sword zombie right inside...) but it has a NASTY fall and that's about it...

A little guidance, if you please?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Moon Monster posted:

Look around in the area past the jester fight. There should be someone you can talk to.

The upside down dude? I did. It sounded like a covenant to join which I did not. That one?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When will I find other greatswords?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Genocyber posted:

You don't. The only greatsword you can find is the basic Kureimoa, everything else needs to be transmuted from it. You can get more Kureimoas at least; if you're at rank 2 in the Iron Ones or The Three then those blacksmiths will sell you it.

So if I like Greatswords I should not fear upgrading it for the worry of wasting upgrade resources on a weapon when I may find a better one, because it's just one I keep upgrading?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Digirat posted:

I haven't tried magic yet so I don't know if there's any areas you want to beeline for, but you can get a wizard who sells a few spells and staves if you use a stone mage at a sanctuary.

I just got a secret-isa item called Lightning Barrage and I can't figure out how to equip it.

[ed] Oh I don't have a stave or a wand.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may be crazy but I often find myself not paying attention to the tiny loot-pickup text. I have not once seen or noticed anything (or found in inventory) when beating a boss. I'm up to the Wyrm. (Beaten, that is)

What loot should I have???

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 questions:

1: I'm two-handing a great axe. I exceed all requirements and prerequisites. I even seem to use it fine.

Why does it have a red slash through it?

2: help with Tree of Men???

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Only thing in this game I am not enjoying (other than a map-wish) is not getting an Amber Idol. Having to farm-run the Gaoler thing in Red Cage is the easiest but has still taken me over an hour.

[ed] So far... with no drop yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Megasabin posted:

Shortly after this you should be at the point in the game where you have enough faction rank to just buy Amber idols from your faction merchant for 2.5k gold. No need at all to farm them.

Forgive me for not fully knowing but do I need to do anything to get my faction rank up? I'm still with the 3 gods and my merchants don't have them. (as far as I know Ive beaten every boss up to Tree of Men.)

[edit] How do I get back to that StoneRoots Sanctuary?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 22, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ultrachrist posted:

One of the stone guys you can get for your sanctuary is a 'stone leader'. Once you offer them to the sanctuary and they appear, they have an option called "work". The work requires giving 3x 1 specific enemy drop. Each time you do this, you rank up and can choose different items to get every time you rest at a sanctuary. So I'm like rank 3 iron ones and I get +1 potion, +1 lighting weapon buff.

Oh those guys. I turned in 2 before and now I have 2/3 for Emberskulls ash but everything else is a beast Ive not even encountered yet. :\

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just turned in Emberskulls Ashes for my 3rd Leader turn in. No option for an Amber Idol. The rest are Whisperman's Ashes. (Never seen one) HEartseeker's Nerves, (never seen one) and Lepris' Ear (never also.)

I'm hoping I encounter them soon. :\

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm so loving salty at the Tree of Men fight. :\

[ed] And I just beat it. :p

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 22, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Marogareh posted:

At least you can grab what you want and gray orb the stats that your build doesn't need right after.

Got my first Gray Pearl. Does that reset EVERYTHING or just wipe out a single skill point item?

Also: In the Dome, what do I need for those cloud platform things I seem to be seeing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got the brand from the dude for the cloud platforms but when I jump on them I fall through. How do I do this?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm a bit lost on where to go after getting the brand that lets you use the ethereal cloud platforms. I had recalled I'd seen one back in the low part of the valley between Hall of Red Cages and the Dome but it appears I'll need more to my jump to get to it. So at this point I don't know where to go next...

A light hint or nudge would not be unwelcome... :)

[edit] Nevermind, forgot about the ethereal cloud platforms on the bottom right of the Dome.

[edit] Just reached the Far Beach. How much more game do I have? (I did Mal's Castle already... I assume that was optional, no brand, just the Demon gear?)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 24, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I beat The Bloodless Prince on my first go but it did leave me wondering how you avoid his belly splash attacks. Or maybe my roll is just too fat? It's certainly not that overburdened flop, but I guess it could be more spry... Is that all there is to that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tips and general encouragement? I beat the umm.. Forgotten? (Ghosts and Axe) and I feel like the game offered almost TOO MANY directions. Pitch woods with Unicorn things that one hit me... The Witch of the Lake, a couple other directions...

I'm like level 75 and have a Headtaker V Greataxe and that cool Samurai Armor. I got pretty hosed up on my first Witch attempt.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So was there or was there not a patch last night in SCEA? I didn't seem to get it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Ronin Cran necessary? Anything good? I am loving HATING this torch-brand jumping from the Salt Alkemancy area. For some reason it's really picky about when I catch the ledge so I fall to my death a TON.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Cran is optional, but you can access him through the Red Hall. The Alkymancy I honestly don't even remember lol, wasn't that the one with suction tubes? It's smaller than it looks.

Good to know. Yeah, no, right now the only way I know to get to him is to go up and to the right in the Alkemancy area and then outside to some hidden (torch) platforms. But for some reason I don't manage to latch onto them about 80% of the time so I'm just sick of wasting time and gold and falling to my death a ton. :p

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any tips on the Dragon boss in the Cave of the Gods or whatever?

Also: I had a Headtaker greataxe but decided it was really slow and stuff so I made a Jaws of Death greatscissor. Was that a solid choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo you guys just made me realize I beat the game without ever getting the brand for the red walls.

gently caress!!

• Locked thread