Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean the characters are bad enough to pretty much sink the entire aesthetic. Gameplay looks sweet though so I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man I'm stuck. I've killed four bosses, and received the ability to use the totems that are everywhere, which grants access to The Storm Castle and some secret areas here and there. But I feel like there must be somewhere else I should go first because my dude dies almost instantly to everything in there and can barely nick the enemies. Anyone got any hints on where to look next? Boss wise I've already killed The Sodden Knight, The Queen of Smiles, The Mad Alchemist, and The False Jester. I also found the Kraekan Cyclops but he seems to be meant for later in the game and also maybe optional since I can approach him from both entry points?

Also this game is good and very much 2D Dark Souls. I'm wearing light armor for fast rolls and using what is essentially the Zweihander. Got equivalents for estus, pine resins, homeward bones, all of it.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 15, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only way to go where you are and the difficulty spike is crazy. I got to the boss by just running from almost all the enemies and I'm having a lot of trouble with it at level 36.

36? Whaaa? I am level 14 I think.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

lets hang out posted:

Thief mask is 20 minutes in if you're that bothered by your ninja turtle face

You can find a jack o'lantern to wear before the second boss which is of course way better.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Where do you find a chemist? So far the only guys I've seen in the sanctuaries is one blacksmith and some npcs that give you a sales pitch for alternate covenants.

Solomonic posted:

Probably the most ideal thread title, after traipsing through Falling Platform Forest.

An area with a bunch of rickety platforms with long falls to the ground and poison dealing enemies? A true Souls game~]

Gnumonic posted:

Is there a shortcut or sanctuary near the Mad Alchemist? I've been running to him from the village of smiles, but that seems kind of far. Also, is there any way to re-join a creed you abandoned? I kind of just abandoned my current one each time I opened a new shrine, and I'm not sure if that will screw me.

Hah, yeah dude. Just go a little right of the ogre that is just before the boss fight. It's probably the shortest boss run a game can possibly have.

Abandoning creeds gives you sin that prevents you from rejoining the abandoned creed until the sin is absolved. There's an Oswald analogue who does that, though she's somewhat hidden.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 16, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

hit detection is sometimes just really loving bad in this. If anything the 2D aspect just makes me wish I could go 3D when bosses just pin you to a wall and you get hosed.

You can't really get pinned since rolling allows you to pass through an enemy though?

Some of the hit boxes do feel a bit weird though. Enemy attacks seem to reach a little further than they look like they should and I swear my Zwei doesn't have as much vertical reach as the animation implies.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

idk, I swear that rolling only worked half the drat time on the same attack as some bosses, it just makes me want to quit playing because of how much of a 50/50 it is. So far it just feels like Dark Souls but with retarded caveats only happening because it's on a 2D plain.

Are you encumbered? Timing fat rolls is nearly impossible on some bosses. Just shed some weight and your rolls get dramatically better.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

He's extremely tedious and has a nasty tendency to kick you into a bottomless pit.

Yeah, I killed him on my second try without much trouble, but it's a bad and tedious fight. Not really hard, but also not fun.

Also gently caress this area after him. This stretch is a bit of a roadblock for me, and doesn't seem to have remembered the "fair" bit in "tough but fair."

The Red Cage Dungeon was fun as gently caress though... hope I can get back to a fun area like that before too long.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The homeware bone equivalent only letting you travel to sanctuaries with a guide is a little weird since you can just immediately use that guide to go to any other visited sanctuary. It really aught to limit itemless warping be limited to talking to guides at sanctuaries, but let item warps go to any visited sanctuary. The present limit only adds a few seconds of hassle.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it just me or does this game give you way more gold than you can productively spend?

Yeah certainly, which is nice because I lost almost all of mine repeatedly dying to the mad alchemist for dumb reasons but it was no big deal.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 17, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

goferchan posted:

Oh I kind of liked the Alchemist, it seemed like a good "lesson" -- I had beaten the other 3 or so bosses up to that point by turtling with a shield and waiting for a chance to do follow-up attacks but all the enemy spawns and poison spam in that fight made that totally futile and the only option was being aggressive. It felt good being forced to switch poo poo up; I think pinning him in the corner is intentionally the optimal strategy given his low HP pool compared to other bosses & how overwhelming the battlefield gets if you drag the fight out.

The alchemist can be a really RNG based fight. I had a ton of rounds against him where he just sat in the middle and spammed the slimes until the lower area was so full that they would just stunlock me with their grab. Other times he hangs out on the platforms and does his easily dodged lighting/fire spells.

The concept is okay, but his AI is just in need of some serious tweaking. Limit the amount or at least rate at which he spawns slimes, ensure he moves around a bit more. As is you can have a lot of bullshit deaths or a bullshit win if the RNG is dumb, and it kind of pushes the fight into a DPS race, which never makes for a fun boss fight.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AllisonByProxy posted:

If everyone's having so much trouble with the Tree of Men fight just skip it. It's optional.

I don't think there's an alternative access to Hager's Cavern, which is necessary to get to the Bog, and so forth. Gotta get through him for an entire branch of the game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well I finished everything and holy poo poo the scaling or difficulty curve in this game can be a bit broken. I guess plugging all your orbs into strength/endurance/healing with greatswords can make you a bit overpowered? Cause I defeated everything after Desecrated Corpse by rolling behind, spamming light attack and chugging healing. I killed most of the bosses in the later half of the game on the first try, a few took a second try where I just equipped whatever level 0 light armor had the best defenses against that bosses damage element. Only a handful (mainly the witch) took more than that. I couldn't tell you anything about any of their patterns, but they all went down fast.

Exploring was fun and I enjoyed the first half of the game, wish I hadn't accidentally overpowered myself for the second half.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I think the biggest hump for me was the dodging/rolling mechanic. Like how in souls, you dodge to avoid a weapon, but in this one you can just dodge straight through it. I think I finally GOT IT when I accidentally rolled through QoS's "both swords on the ground, run at you" move and I was like "oh poo poo THAT is how it works."

The only other criticism I have is that I don't really like the secret doors. It feels too much like wandering around in Doom humping the wall by mashing spacebar until some random wall opens. I'd rather them open via hitting, but that's a pretty tiny whine.

Hate to break it to you but you've been playing Souls wrong. Dodging lets you pass through enemy weapons undamaged and is by far the most effective way to play.

Digirat posted:

Also when I found the keepers of fire and sky, I accidentally joined them when trying to level up and lost my rank maxed devotion with devora. So I said gently caress it and burned the sanctuary of the three and became a betrayer. Then I betrayed the betrayers :black101:

You could have just repledge to the three and regain your rank I think? It worked for me when I accidentally joined the betrayers. Of course burning their sanctuary will now require paying a Salt fine to not-Oswald to have your sin removed. Was there anything worthwhile about the spoilered covenant? It was the only thing on the progression guide that I skipped because gently caress the jumps required to get there.

Feenix posted:

[edit] Just reached the Far Beach. How much more game do I have? (I did Mal's Castle already... I assume that was optional, no brand, just the Demon gear?)

Probably about two thirds of the way through, assuming you will do every area. Quite a few of them are optional though, including the one you asked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I said "weapon" when I meant "enemy". It's weird to me that in this game you just roll right through the bad guy instead of just the weapon. I guess the best way to put my confusion is that the timing often seems strange or very picky. It's almost like the hitboxes on enemy attacks are very different than they are visually represented in the game.

Ah, the deal with that is you have to be in the middle of your roll when you pass through them, cause that's when your iframes occur. For larger enemies that pretty much requires that you are standing literally right up against them. Takes some time to get a feel for it, but it's absolutely consistent so you eventually will.

• Locked thread