Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhUIxZqR5I - Season 4 trailer

SEASON FOUR PREMIERES WED. MARCH 16 @ 10PM ET ON FX
Season 1-3 available on Amazon Prime | S1 & S2 is on most Netflix regions, Finland has 1-3.
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Wikipedia | IMDB | Season 3 thread | Season 2 thread

Synopsis posted:

The Americans is a period drama set during the Cold War shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President and is about the complex marriage of two deepcover KGB spies posing as an American married couple living in the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington D.C.. The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell), who have two children – Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati), who know nothing about their parents’ true identity – grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate and dangerous relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control while avoiding being caught by FBI counterintelligence.
★ Creators ★
The series was created by novelist Joe Weisberg (a former CIA officer) working under the tutelage of Graham Yost (Justified, The Pacific). Also on the writing staff is Joshua Brand, co-creator of Northern Exposure & St. Elsewhere. A number of people who were involved behind the scenes with Justified also work on the show.

Season 2 had the shows writers working with Oliver North who wrote the episode Martial Eagle, for a first person account of the Iran-Contra storyline in which he was involved.

quote:

"The most interesting thing I observed during my time at the CIA was the family life of agents who served abroad with kids and spouses. The reality is that mostly they're just people going about their lives. The job is one element, and trying to depict the issues they face just seemed like something that, if we could bring it to television in a realistic way, would be new."

—Joe Weisberg, creator and showrunner of The Americans
★ Characters ★
Detailed Character Bios: http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/the-americans/cast-crew

The FBI
The Counterintelligence Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation is fighting against foreign agents on U.S. soil - including the elite KGB Directorate S illegals: Russian spies posing as Americans.

Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), Special Agent Frank Gaad (Richard Thomas), Martha Hanson (Alison Wright)
Supporting: Agent Dennis Aderholt (Brandon J. Dirden), FBI Mail Robot (Mail Robot)

The KGB
The Rezidentura is the base of Soviet espionage operations in the US. It is based out of the Soviet Embassy, and receives orders from The Center, the central headquarters of the KGB in Moscow, especially those departments concerned with foreign espionage and counterintelligence. The Rezidentura then contacts Directorate S agents 'illegals' via handlers, coded messages or dead drops.

Nina Sergeevna (Annet Mahendru), Rezidentura Chief Arkady Ivanovich Zotov (Lev Gorn), Oleg Igorevich Burov Head of Science and Technology Department (Costa Ronin)
Supporting: Gabriel (Frank Langella), Claudia (Margo Martindale), Tatiana Evgenyevna (Vera Cherny), Anton Baklanov (Michael Aronov), Hans (Peter Mark Kendall)

The Jennings
Philip and Elizabeth are KGB Directorate S deep cover agents, 'Illegals', posing as Americans, working tirelessly to advance their nation's agenda - by any means necessary. As a cover, they own and run a travel agency. They arrived in the US in August, 1965.

Phillip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russel), Paige Jennings (Holly Taylor), Henry Jennings (Keidrich Sellati)
Supporting: Pastor Tim (Kelly AuCoin), Sandra Beeman (Susan Misner)

New for S4: William Crandall (Dylan Baker), Young Hee Seong (Ruthie Ann Miles) & Don Seong (Rob Yang)

★ Season 3 Recap ★
Season 3 Lookback Video - Recommended viewing
  • The Soviet-Afghanistan War / Yousaf the Pakistani ISI officer
  • Phillip's :pedo: attempts at seducing Kimmy, the daughter of the head of the CIA's Afghan group
  • Elizabeth gaining the trust of Lisa, the lady that works at the Northrop factory
  • The FBI conduct a molehunt within the department of counter intelligence
  • Elizabeth trains her protégé Hans to kidnap a South African intelligence officer
  • Phillip and Elizabeth bug the FBI Mail Robot for a direct source
  • Zinaida the ISKRAN defector is caught by Stan placing dead drops
  • Philip learns he has a son, Misha, who is active in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
  • Nina in Soviet captivity and her mission to get information from Anton Baklanov
  • Elizabeth takes Paige to West Germany to visit her dying mother in Russia.
  • Paige's confession to Pastor Tim
  • Regan made his 'Evil Empire' speech on March 8, 1983 (this date was the title of the final episode)
Killcount - Elizabeth: 7, Phillip: 12, both: 4

★ Posters ★

Episodes will air Wednesday nights at 10PM ET on FX.

1 - "Glanders" March 16, 2016
2 - "Pastor Tim" March 23, 2016
3 - "Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow" March 30, 2016
4 - "Chloramphenicol" April 6, 2016
5 - "Clark's Place" April 13, 2016
6 - "The Rat" April 20, 2016
7 - "Travel Agents" April 27, 2016
8 - "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears" May 4, 2016
9 - "The Day After" May 11, 2016
10 - "Munchkins" May 18, 2016
11 - "Dinner for Seven" May 25, 2016
12 - "A Roy Rogers in Franconia" June 1, 2016
13 - "Persona Non Grata" June 8, 2016 [season finale]

http://i.imgur.com/1oOpUyx.gifv
S4 Teaser #5 - Reflections - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPXubbzC94

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
[reserved post]

Edit: poo poo, forgot thread tag. Can a mod fix it up with 'drama' I suppose?

Videos
Season 3 Lookback Video - Recommended viewing (Recap)

Promos
The Americans Season 4 Extended Promo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhUIxZqR5I (Longer version of Trouble)
Promo #1 'Trouble' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxh9p40gsU
Promo #2 'Never Know' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAzWQpdzjQo

Teasers
Teaser #1 'Silencer: Elizabeth' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6jzVGEsmM
Teaser #2 'Silencer: Phillip' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDht9t7VAng
Teaser #3 'Silencer: The Family' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbuka0hbTc
Teaser #4 'Discover' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljQ3Ud0HkfM
Teaser #5 'Reflections' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPXubbzC94 (Gif at bottom of OP)
Teaser #6 'Spy Noir' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJZQZ-qnlCQ
Teaser #7 'Dead End' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQR2OqurqyM
Teaser #8 'Martha' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCoIisQal0Y

Pre/Reviews & articles
Season 4 first 4 episode review - Vulture
Season 4 first 4 episode review - Hollywood Reporter

The Most Dangerous Year (1983) Interactive timeline - The Washington Post
40 minute podcast + transcript by Vulture, interviewing the two showrunners
Music supervisor interview "building tension with music from the Cold War ‘80s" - Avclub
Keri Russell Talks The Americans Season Four - The Late Show (video)

Making Of: How to make great TV, explained by FX spy drama The Americans. - Vox.com (Season 4 spoilers, upto and including episode 5)

http://i.imgur.com/Ih50oxr.gifv

FX Store: Mail Robot shirt

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 24, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I am glad you gave Mail Robot its rightful credit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is my obligatory reminder that Martha owns

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Regy Rusty posted:

In a universe where Elizabeth preemptively killed the desk clerk at the mail robot repair shop, the idea that a loose end like Martha is still alive stretches the concept of suspension of disbelief to the max.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Precisely the sickening anti-Martha rhetoric I've come to expect from this thread. For shame

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Baronash posted:

In a universe where Elizabeth preemptively killed the desk clerk at the mail robot repair shop, the idea that a loose end like Martha is still alive stretches the concept of suspension of disbelief to the max.

She loves Philip more than her country, and a high-placed administrative assistant would be a great asset.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Baronash posted:

She is so ridiculously compromised and so well placed it's worth a little risk, which considering human psychology is exactly what it is. A very little risk. Which is of course why dozens of people like her in real life went years and years married to people they knew were spying on the government. It's a mix of denial, selfishness, fear, and a million other things that come together in a perfect storm to make her pretty dedicated to maintaining something like the status quo. Pretty much a 90% chance she's going to need a kid at some point though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I think this is gonna be a tough season for Team Martha.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Actually Martha is terrible.

Every time she's on screen she just makes stupid decision after stupid decision and she's so wrapped up with Philip/Clark that she's going to have a terrible end at some point and they should get it over with.

I can only watch a dumb person get victimized for so long before I just want them off the show. If the "Philip has to sleep with a kid" subplot goes on much longer I'll feel the same way about her, too. Hans the South African guy with a crush on Elizabeth is almost equally irritating. They never would've put up with this kind of potential exposure back in season 1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FairGame posted:

Every time she's on screen she just makes stupid decision after stupid decision and she's so wrapped up with Philip/Clark that she's going to have a terrible end at some point and they should get it over with.

I can only watch a dumb person get victimized for so long before I just want them off the show. If the "Philip has to sleep with a kid" subplot goes on much longer I'll feel the same way about her, too. Hans the South African guy with a crush on Elizabeth is almost equally irritating. They never would've put up with this kind of potential exposure back in season 1.

Tactical Realism

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FairGame posted:

Martha will be the sole survivor of the whole show

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder what worthless poo poo they will have Nina do this season.

She should have not come back after the end of s2 :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How are they going to explain Keri Russell having been knocked up by Matthew Rhys in real life?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

How are they going to explain Keri Russell having been knocked up by Matthew Rhys in real life?

A lot of laundry baskets, mail robots, and nuclear footballs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're doing an Elizabeth-gets-addicted-to-buying-oversized-handbags subplot. Super tense.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FairGame posted:

They never would've put up with this kind of potential exposure back in season 1.

Yeah, clearly the mental giants that decided to make best friends with the FBI family next door are too cool to let a sad sack asset stick around. Or maybe absolutely nothing is more dangerous than deciding to have your best friend cover be the guy who is trying to hunt you down and kill you, so who gives a gently caress? YOLO.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Man, I loved the first season of this show but I never followed through. Is it still good?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Trollipop posted:

Man, I loved the first season of this show but I never followed through. Is it still good?

Yes and in fact it got so much better! It's one of the best shows on TV right now, actually.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

bowser posted:

Yes and in fact it got so much better! It's one of the best shows on TV right now, actually.

I might have to binge watch the last two seasons then..

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I updated the second post of the OP in preparation for tonight with the teaser and promo videos and a couple of links to interviews and such. The interview by Vulture with the two showrunners is pretty good, mostly about the show overall with a little bit of season 4 talk near the end.

Tortolia posted:

I am glad you gave Mail Robot its rightful credit.
:D
Added two mail robot gifs just for you. Also it appears FX are selling a shirt of the robot on their store, they also have a few posters (but not the awesome ones) and such which you can grab.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Boogaleeboo posted:

who gives a gently caress? YOLO.

This is covert ops rule one

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I do not know what is going to happen in episode 8 but that title already has me very excited.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm so looking forward to the start of the new season, but at the same time, it's not going to end well for a lot people is it. :ohdear:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Argue posted:

I do not know what is going to happen in episode 8 but that title already has me very excited.

They put a ton of effort into the the aspects of the show, and the titles are definitely no exception. They're just vague enough to make you crazy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Let's do this!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh right, Phillip murdered a kid, I forgot about that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So is this Philip remembering the time he killed another kid out of desperation?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Phillip being around Martha as Phillip and not Clark is so weird.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Remind me: wasn't Martha picked in part because she was somewhat unattractive? I remember the voice recorder catching Gadd and other agents ripping on her, which Philip used against them.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Paige sitting out the pledge. I'm guessing that's significant

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Remind me: wasn't Martha picked in part because she was somewhat unattractive? I remember the voice recorder catching Gadd and other agents ripping on her, which Philip used against them.

Yeah, I think he preyed on that to a certain extent. The recording was doctored though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

"We signed a treaty not to make bioweapons, but we think the Americans make them so we do too." That's just pure Cold War right there.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

howe_sam posted:

"We signed a treaty not to make bioweapons, but we think the Americans make them so we do too." That's just pure Cold War right there.

And somewhere in Washington a CIA handler is saying the exact same thing to one of their field agents :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

What'd they inject her with? I missed that bit.

howe_sam posted:

One of Elizabeth's most delusional moments in the show was where she was appalled that the US would see to it the Soviets would be able to steal plans for a faulty submarine which later exploded. It amounted to "How DARE they do something so deceiving to our brave sailors??".

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CBJSprague24 posted:

What'd they inject her with? I missed that bit.

Vaccine immunizing her against the bioweapon they might get exposed to during tonight's mission

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

One of Elizabeth's most delusional moments in the show was where she was appalled that the US would see to it the Soviets would be able to steal plans for a faulty submarine which later exploded. It amounted to "How DARE they do something so deceiving to our brave sailors??".

I don't know, it's pretty hosed up to intentionally leave fake plans around hoping that your enemy blows up a bunch of their own soldiers.

I think Oleg said that wasn't what actually happened though, that the Russians used the propeller improperly and without testing it first.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wigs and beards

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I can't hear a word Philip is saying over that wild animal on his face :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012