Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

average wagecuck pc programmer making a deece 5 figgies here, to me pirating games for old consoles is good but i always buy pc games since its easier and you arent risking getting a million viruses from a russian hacker.

i love russian viruses and in fact i'm going to go download a few roms from questionable sites for old times sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I would like to give some advice, but I actually don't know anything about Dreamcast games except for when my friend and I were playing Powerstone and laughing at the way the announcer says "VERSUS!!!!". Anyway have a good night.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

How much more quickly? 10% more wear? 33%?

Serious question.

Will this make Dreamcast games not look like poo poo on my HDTV?

I cannot answer with any certainty, the degree of which it stresses the motor/laser. You can also easily open up the DC, and using a screwdriver, change the potentiometer to increase the sensitivity of the laser if it's having trouble reading, or overt motor noises. If you have an older CD burner, it's quite possible it can burn it at the speed the games were originally. Off the top of my head, that would be 4x or so. I've played many hours on my DC using burned games, and have not had a problem yet. All depends on how many hours it had on it, when it came to you.

And yes, VGA is the highest quality output you will get from the DC.

They claim no soldering or wiring. So, it should be easy enough. I believe you have to take out the entire GDROM so you can't use CDs anymore, but who cares at that point, eh?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Like if stock is 4x speed, and the laser is trying to read an 8x cd, I'm going to assume it's trying twice as hard to read that content. It's taking more motor function to turn the disc, and change the position of the laser, and the laser has to read data that's written more closely together.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Like if stock is 4x speed, and the laser is trying to read an 8x cd, I'm going to assume it's trying twice as hard to read that content. It's taking more motor function to turn the disc, and change the position of the laser, and the laser has to read data that's written more closely together.

this is the secret to why i failed burning a game last time!!!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

every retard i asked about it earlier never mentioned the speed and would just tell me you burn an iso to a disk and it will work with no further information

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Looked up videos online and E.G.G. seems very good. I wonder why it isn't talked about more often.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I love EGG.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
If you throw a working Sega Dreamcast in the dumpster you are literally satan.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Looked up videos online and E.G.G. seems very good. I wonder why it isn't talked about more often.

jon hendren came up with the E.G.G. challenge

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Chu chu rocket.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

jon hendren came up with the E.G.G. challenge

I think I saw that guy in a dominos ad

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I never heard of E.G.G. until I was looking up DC RPGs. It's not an RPG powerhouse like the ps2, but there's some definitely great titles in there.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not to loving mention niggas STILL BE MAKING GAMES FOR THAT poo poo

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
get marvel vs capcom 2 and put in custom music/palettes

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

VERY COOL MAN posted:

get marvel vs capcom 2 and put in custom music/palettes

then plug in your ngpc to the system and unlock all hidden content

lmao I'm dumb, I read capcom vs snk 2, durrrrr!

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Dreamcast was notorious for having basically 0 copy protection and a lot of people pirated games for it. It's mentioned a lot because there was a wider discrepancy between hardware and software sales compared to its competitors and it probably cost Sega untold millions. The PSP was also really easy to crack and it's why the Vita is a fortress and whenever somebody finds even the most innocuous exploit Sony will patch it within a day, despite them never making any games for it

iw is h that ws true, the new saga games only comng out on vita and i'm mad as heck abot it because it's the only vita game i give a poo poo abot

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whn the best reson to own your portable's to play psx games on the go and two rpgs you hosed up p retty bad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Does the Dreamcast have any superior versions of games that have been ported to other consoles after it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does the Dreamcast have any superior versions of games that have been ported to other consoles after it?

It has the best port of MvC2

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fungah! posted:

whn the best reson to own your portable's to play psx games on the go and two rpgs you hosed up p retty bad

I like the vita

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

iim actually loking at getng one but its mostly for the psx games nd saga. thre really arent many good exclusives for it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The screen on the OG Vita is really nice and PSX games look really good on it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have used my vita a poo poo load. Good console

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I have used my vita a poo poo load. Good console

[Reaching down to caress Vita] Good, good console

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

iw ill say they got a shitload of good psx games on there. suikoden 2, mega man legends, armored core, bunch o f other stuff

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

[Reaching down to caress Vita] Good, good console

lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

It has the best port of MvC2

Better than the PS3/Xbox 360 versions?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Better than the PS3/Xbox 360 versions?

Yeah they have slightly more input lag and a couple other tiny bugs, plus you can't even buy them anymore. The arcade version used Sega Naomi hardware which was extremely similar to Dreamcast hardware so the port is as close as can be basically

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Marvel vs Capcom 2 still considered the best entry in the series?

Personally I've always liked the first game the most.

EDIT - Man the prices are expensive. May have to buy a boot disc and use the Japan version.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dreamcast is right behind ps2 in my mind for best console

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dreamcast is godlike and I wish I still had mine

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the dreamcast version of San Francisco Rush 2049 is prettier but I prefer the n64 music. idk if this game is actually good though, or if I just played it when I was 12 years old

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

San Francisco Rush 2049 is absolutely awesome

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kaz do you have a DC you could sell me that plays burned games??

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

Kaz do you have a DC you could sell me that plays burned games??

This is every DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the black ones don't? The Sega sports edition? I'm not sure though

• Locked thread