Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gorbash, Molly, Cirno, Lurks, ARB and devilmaydry, plus ningyou if she wants in! You are my players.

This is the thread to discuss poo poo, hash out what the world is like and so on.

What we know is:

1. The world used to be an MMO game.
2. Due to a Big Event, likely involving the Overlord, all the players online at the time were warped into their characters in the world of the MMO, which is now a living, breathing world (with MMO features overlaid).
3. You can play a PC or an NPC, and your People can be either your character's race or a PC group of some kind. Even if your character does not know all the lore of your People, you still control it.

Please, share and hash out your thoughts so we can create this world together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Official ruling: the game's name is Endless Journey, set on the world of Madhya Prithvi.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 15, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, they can represent different cultures/Peoples that happen to share some traits.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Objectively speaking that is correct, yes. Individual characters may view it differently.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, now we're just waiting on ARB and Fewture, who will be taking ningyou's slot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Khryos, the Lord of the Ultimate Summit

He appeared on the day of the Event. The Ultimate Summit was to be one of the new major dungeons of the expansion, but Khryos was never in any materials about it - its lord was to be some sort of dragon that hasn't been seen at all. Instead, Khryos has claimed to be Lord of the Ultimate Summit, and no one seems to have any idea what he wants. He is unassuming, even friendly, and yet at his beck and call have come strange and terrible things, while monsters rise and fight at his whim. No one seems clear on what he actually wants, but certainly the Ultimate Summit has become home to creatures and people who will commit terrible acts, acts that resonate with some power that even the great mages do not understand.

His face is not familiar. He was not a player, his name was in no player registry. He was never a character in Endless Journey that anyone can recall. There were no developmental plans for him. He breaks the rules of the game and the world itself with ease. And the worst part is his charm - you know he's got to be the one behind all this, you've seen evidence. But anyone that hasn't witnessed his acts firsthand seems to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's maddening.

quote:

Look: Glowing Eyes, Expensive Clothes, Unassuming Figure, Commanding Attitude

Agenda: Ultimate Power

OVERLORD STATS
Invincible: You cannot be hurt.

Charming: No one will believe you're as bad as you really are.

Out of Context: You may ignore any limitations normally laid down by the metaphysics of the world or the rules of the MMO.

Weakness: World Shards

Moves:
An Offer You Can't Refuse: When a player gets Taken Out in your presence, you may give them an offer. They may attempt to negotiate, but you do not need to listen. If they accept, you fulfill the deal and then leave the scene. If they refuse, they must roll +Courage.
On a 6-, they take the offer anyway. On a 7-9, they refuse and have one good chance to spite you, they'll tell you how. Then, you tell them what you do to them for it. You may kill them.
On a 10+, not only do they spite you, but they manage to escape before you can properly punish them for it, ending the scene with you standing there, alone. Tell us of your rage.

Chew The Scenery: When you are physically present, you can have the Spotlight for as long as you like, when you get it. You and your Generals can never be in Despair.

Cut Them Real Bad: When you are physically present, your Cuts can be as hard as you like. Your Generals do not have this move.

Forge a Bond: When you cause great personal harm to someone or their people, Forge a Bond with them. Your Bonds can be erased only by your own Moves, and you can hold any number of Bonds.
When you reveal a side of yourself to someone you never intended to share it with, they may Forge a Bond with you. You cannot erase the Bonds they hold with you, no matter how badly you might want to.

Heart of Fire: When a player has a Bond with you, you do not become their Companion, but it still holds sway over you. They may erase that Bond with you at any time to buy themselves reprieve. They choose one: You will show them mercy, tell them something valuable or ignore them for the time being.

Heart of Iron: When someone makes a move against you, you may erase a Bond with them to have them automatically fail their roll, steal the Spotlight from them, and Twist the Knife against them. Your attention is entirely focused on them while you use this move - the rest of the fellowship can act without drawing your attention. A player may force you to do this before making their roll.

Master Plan: Whenever the Fellowship Recovers or the Overlord Levels Up, you Advance your Plans. When the fellowship has A Little Downtime, you may Advance your Plans during your turn, but the fellowship will immediately hear about it if you do. When you could Advance your Plans, you may recruit a new General or heal one damaged Overlord Stat instead.
When you Advance your Plans, you choose one and move it one step forward. You always have two plans going at once - whenever you only have one plan left, write a second immediately.

Overlord Damage: You are difficult to harm. When you would take damage, they must first pay a price for each undamaged stat you have. If you would be destroyed, instead damage one of your stats at no cost to your attacker. If you take damage or are destroyed when none of your stats remain, you are finally defeated, once and for all.
If the fellowship seizes a Source of Power, they may use it to erase one of your stats forever. You can never get that stat back unless you can take control of that Source of Power.
When the fellowship Recovers, heal one of your damaged stats.

Overlord Foibles: You are arrogant. Every setback is minor and can be dealt with. You know you can't lose.
You are busy. You have something you want and focus on that. When you engage the fellowship, your goal is not to kill them, but to get them out of your way.
You are honor bound. When you make a promise, you keep it, period.

Threat to the World: You have immunity to a variety of moves. Further, when someone who is not a Threat to the World takes direct action against someone who is, they must Pay a Price to do so.

Twist the Knife: When you speak to someone you have a Bond with about your history with them, you may force them to relive their pain They must either pay a price, stand down and get out of your way, or they must attack you, right now. Their choice. No matter what they choose, you make a Hard Cut against them.

Overlord Stats: Your undamaged stats are immutable truths that cannot be contradicted by any means.
When you Advance your Plans, you may heal a damaged stat instead.
When you seize a new Source of Power, gain a new stat of your choice. When you gain or lose a Source of Power, write down which stat that Source of Power is tied to - if you lose or regain that Source of Power in the future, it takes that stat with it.

My Only Weakness!: When you are exposed to your Weakness, one of your stats is immediately damaged, their choice. Your stats and your moves cannot protect you from your Weakness, but it can only hurt you once per scene.

Your Generals: To create a General, take any Threat you like and give it the Threat to the World trait. Your Generals follow you without question and can never become Companions to the fellowship. Generals have all your Basic Moves and their own minions. You have one Bond with each of your Generals, describing why they serve you.
If one of your Generals suffers a significant failure at the fellowship's hands, you will either execute them, exile them, or give them one last chance. You can only give a General one last chance once.
You begin the game with a single General. When you Advance your Plans, you may recruit a new General instead.

GENERALS
Ordric Marr, Commander of the Summit Gates, the Warmonger

ARMIES
The Organization: An elite group, rather than a proper army, that will compete with the Fellowship and harry them throughout the journey.

GEAR
You do not need to eat and do not want for companions. When the fellowship Recovers, you also recover your Gear.
An elegant sword, exotic in design (Melee)
Magical bolts of energy, able to be reflected back at you (Ranged)
Destructive blasts of fire and lightning (Dangerous)
A powerful special attack (1 Use): The End of Days. Use this instead of erasing a Bond to trigger Heart of Iron.
A traitor (1 Use): Use to make anyone in the scene who is not part of the fellowship reveal their allegiance to you, complete with a dramatic moment where they betray the fellowship and cause them trouble.

Reason: :iiam:

BONDS
Ordric Marr is sworn to serve the master of the Ultimate Summit, which is me.

Bonds:

I destroyed _______'s hometown.
I have caused great harm to ______'s people.
I killed someone important to _______.
______ killed someone important to me.
______ knows the details of my previous defeat.
______'s people serve me now.
Only _______ knows my Weaknesses.
I have fought ________ before and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.
______ was once my friend.
______ secretly admires me and the things I do.

Everyone can pick one!

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 24, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Now, let's go through Guided Establishment.

Step one: Tell us about your hero, why you're one of the champions and three facts about your People. (Since half of you or more don't ICly know the lore, that's fine - you don't have to ICly know the facts of your People, if they aren't a PC group like the Raiding Rainbows.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We're almost up. We've now got one last bit of Guided Setup.

First, some questions:

1. Whose People did the Overlord hit first and hardest?

To me it sounds a lot like Luc1na's, because of their day 1 raid, but if you guys want to discuss that more, go ahead.

2. Whose People has the Overlord mostly ignored?

3. What impossible thing has the Overlord already done.

The Event itself seems the obvious answer there to me.

And last: Choose another player. Tell us a rumor or superstition your People hold about their People. They cannot tell you whether or not it is true.

Once this is done, thread will go up! Bonds should be finished by then. If you want to ask people questions about their People, do feel free!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We're starting this in style.

Everything is on fire.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Updates tonight or tomorrow dependong on how long some RL stuff takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Don't expect much out of me this week, gonna be at Origins for most of it.

• Locked thread