Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Going to go with The Heir. Not sure about the move choices, etc yet. But conceptually my character is Ridley's sibling, who got roped into playing because Ridley's character didn't have enough people for raid to get a particular item. They realized they enjoyed the game a lot - as a game. They haven't until now not cared about the in-game lore, and doesn't give a poo poo about RPing.

Probably as The Heir my character represents more a group or guild of players than an in-game faction. Though this particular player coalition will probably have gravitated to a particular in-game faction (class, race, whatever). I figure that as a group, they're important because they are a bunch of very powerful characters due to min/maxing, hardcore raiding, etc. But in the current situation, their disinterest in game lore leaves them vulnerable in unexpected ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Still working on my character.

I wanted to ask a bit about the world in general. My take on is that the virtual world we've been trapped in operates a lot like its an alternate universe - that there are MMOish overlays to stuff but generally speaking anyone inside of it interacts and treats it like it's the real world, rather than having any sense of an interface between them and the world. Players are effectively their characters now, in terms of physical capability, but retain their own minds. Basically, my understanding is that someone could reasonably argue that this IS the real world and rather than being players trapped in a game, everyone is suffering from some kind of mass psychosis or powerful curse.

Am I right to see it this way?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows nee Lucy Carlisle

Not everyone who played EnJo did so because of its excellent world building or its deep backstory. In fact, some of them hardly noticed it. Sure, that fanciful architecture and elaborate costuming probably had some kind of explanation behind it all, but as far as these players cared it was just nice window dressing.

These players were here for the game. The thrill of slaying the bosses and gathering the sickest loot, of slaughtering uncounted mobs and dozens of fellow players in exciting battles. Of getting the biggest numbers.

Lucy was one of those players. She'd come to game via an unusual route. Not having any particular interest in gaming, outside of Pokιmon or disposable smartphone games, she didn't know - or care - one whit about EnJo. At least, until she got roped into a raiding party because her younger sibling was short a virtual body to complete a quest, one that gave out a very stylish pair of slippers.

To everyone's surprise, once Lucy figured out the controls, she was immediately addicted to the chaotic and competitive combat, and of seeing ever larger numbers pop into existence above the heads of weird looking monsters when she wailed on them with her sword. Somewhat to Sephy's chagrin, Luc1na - as she'd dubbed her character - quickly started logging as many, or even more, hours in the game.

Even more to Sephy's chagrin, Luc1na didn't have any interest in RP or lore or any of that stuff. The way she rapid-fire clicked through quest dialogues until she saw how many spiders to slaughter or which NPC to drag from point A to point B... For Luc1na, all that stuff was just boring preliminaries she had to deal with before getting to the fun stuff.

Before long Luc1na fell in with a crowd of hard-core power gamers and raiders. Just as quickly, she got ticked at their bro-ish behavior and general dickishness, and the way they decided a female couldn't really be serious about the game. So Luc1na gathered up some like minded young women and formed their own raiding guild. In a short time, they rocketed to the upper strata of the ranking boards. Those they displaced tended to make excuses and downplay their success, but the legitimately skilled groups they found themselves competing with quickly learned to respect the Raiding Rainbows.

The Rainbows later became a founding Chapter of the Iron Ladies guild, alongside the Knitting Circle and the Pretty Guardians. Having a support network with more varied in game interests helped, and while Luc1na still had zero interest in the lore, she pushed the other RR members to support their allies through thick and thin. She also managed to bring three of the other top raiding guilds - Epic Epoch, [SELECT A NAME], and Da G Shou - into an alliance (generally referred to as the Fantastic Four). The group was known for their prowess in battle, the ridiculously large holdings they acquired in world, and their complete disregard for anything having to do with RP.

It wasn't that Luc1na disdained it. She just didn't care. And not in way that was passive-aggressive, the one where they want you to know just how much they don't care. Luc1na just didn't even notice it, and neither did most of the people she played with.

Now, though, stuck inside the world, they have to take notice. They possess perhaps the greatest concentration of raw power and wealth of any faction in the game, but their nearly inexhaustible naivete prevents them from wielding it effectively.

In the face of the current crisis, Luc1na has convinced the other members of the Hurdcor (a name taken from a hilarious rant posted by a wannabe raider that had gotten ganked by the Rainbows) that they need to take this lore crap seriously now, and to use their powers to help people.

The Heir posted:

Look: Luscious Blue Hair, Pretty Face, Sharp Eyes, Fancy Garb

Agenda:
• Be Brave, Take Risks
• Tell Us Of Your People
• Improve The World Around You
• Judge, Jury, Executioner Make them pay for their crimes.

Stats: Blood+2, Courage+0, Grace+1, Sense-1, Wisdom+2

The Stalwart Defenders: Your kingdom is all that has stood between the Overlord and the rest of the world for centuries, locking them away. Stopping them now falls squarely on your shoulders. When you Overcome the attacks of a Threat to the World, you never need to pay a price first. When you Overcome an attack that would harm someone you have three Bonds with, you are filled with Hope.

Moves
Royal Treatment: When you visit the ruler of a place and introduce yourself, you and your friends are all given a room for the night and a hot meal to Fill Your Belly, free of charge.

Yes, My Liege: When you issue a command to someone below your rank, they'll do it immediately, no questions asked. Someone is below your rank if they are of your People, if they are a Companion, or if they serve or follow someone who has shown you Royal Treatment. You never need to Talk Sense to someone who is below your rank. When you give a command that directly harms the person you gave the command to, they become immune to this move forever.

How Dare You: When someone insults you to your face, you may choose to last out or remain stoic. If you lash out, roll to Finish Them with +Blood if you lash out with your weapon, or +Grace if you lash out with your tongue. If you remain stoic, ask two questions from the Look Closely list without rolling. Their outburst tells you everything you need to know.

Parry! Counter! Thrust!: When you fight a foe one on one in melee, you may Keep Them Busy as if you rolled a 10+.

Royal Gear
• Some food (3 Uses, Food) ☐☐☐
• Poultices (2 Uses, Healing, Slow) ☐☐
• Sparklepony [A warhorse war-unicorn you have 1 Bond with]
• The First Sword [A beautiful blade with a long and storied past] (Melee, Precious)
• A second sword (Skybreaker, Exalted Saber of the Dawnriders), and Regal armor (1 Use, Armor) ☐
• A rifle (Thunderbolt) (Ranged, 2 Ammo) ☐☐
• Loads of cash (2 Uses, Precious) ☐☐

Irreplaceable Item
• Guildmaster's Diadem of the Raiding Rainbows: A symbol of royalty (Infinite Uses). You can use this item to command respect from anyone who knows your line, or to gain an audience with anyone you wish, no matter how important they are.

Bonds
I would give my life for my dear sister, Sephilia Lampbright.
I shall take Novi Esq under my wing, and teach them all that I know.
I am in love with Grid Nσtt.
I have never had a more loyal ally than Arduino Mapleleaf.
I spoil Sparklepony shamelessly.

World Detail
I'm taking advantage of PbtA narrative control and saying that there there's a system of Allied Guilds and Guild Chapters in the game. Basically, a guild that's large enough can have separate sub-groups (Chapters). Chapters all have full guild access to resources (guild halls, etc) but can operate under different names and with different approaches. The Raiding Rainbows are a chapter of the Iron Ladies. Other chapters include the Knitting Circle and the Pretty Guardians.

There's also the option of forming Alliances between guilds. Allied guilds function as one big super-guild in most ways, though they can set lower permissions for stuff like guild hall access and shared bank space to the allies. Sometimes the alliances get names, but its not built into the game the way Guilds and Chapters are.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2016 around 21:25

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Background is up for Luc1na.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Going to take I have caused great harm to Luc1na's people, see below for more.

Luc1na's people are the player faction known as the Hurdcor.
• Though Endless Journey features numerous player races, most of the Hurdcor are members of the Anth (the baseline human analogue) or Jaan (humans with elemental powers). The two races shared certain stat bonuses prized by power gamers, and a starting area convenient to some of the best questing zones.
• The Hurdcor were the first to feel the full brunt of the Tower's wrath. Their power and the proximity of their fortresses the stronghold made this likely from the beginning. But the Hurdcor attempted to take down the Tower on the day of the Event itself. That strike force was destroyed, and further fighting has depleted the Hurdcor's ranks since.
• Previously concentrated in a relatively small region, about half the Hurdcor are in the process of an exodus, spreading out into other parts of the world and bringing their wealth with them. This was an intentional policy, intended to accomplish two things. One was to make it harder for the Tower to wipe them out a stroke. The second was to make sure at least a few powerful combatants where around to protect every major player settlement. The exodus has caused a lot of friction, though, especially with former NPC groups.

Luc1na was chosen as the Hurdcor's Champion because of her connections outside the raiding community. Though she's pretty innocent of game lore, unlike the other major players among the Hurdcor she actually has friends in RP circles thanks to her sister and other friends. Plus, she's used to working with more diverse player groups because of her connection to the Iron Ladies.

Her prowess in battle and experience as the Raiding Rainbows leader certainly gave her the qualifications, but that was true of Whiteblue (of Da G Shou) or GenericInsult ([SELECT A NAME]) as well. Eriic the Read (Epic Epoch) was disqualified on account of having disappeared in the raid on the Ultimate Summit.

Lastly, Luc1na was chosen because she knows the truth. Only the upper echelons of the Hurdcor's leadership know that their defeat at the Summit was due to Khyros' intervention. Due to the overlord's popularity, they've kept it a secret, lest it rend their fragile alliance apart. For now, their forces are openly opposing only the Tower and its denizens, fighting a rear guard action while Luc1na focuses on the true enemy.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2016 around 21:27

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Id say boss NPCs or the Picopico (for maximum hobbit analogy) for ignoring, so if ARB is cool with it being the boss NPCs, I'm on board.

As a note, I think the Hardcor tend to refer to it as the "Day Zero Raid," since it probably crossed over the Event itself, as well as happening before they really understood what had happened.

Rumors
The Hardcor are convinced the Fated Circle knows a way to communicate with the "real world," and are receiving special instructions from outside. Opinions differ widely about just how this clear this channel actually is, with most falling on the side of "cryptic at best." There's also a lot of discussion on whether or not it's two-way (again, with most on the side of "not").

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I would like to know if anyone besides Luc1na is part of a guild, and what its name is. Soonest is best!

Thanks!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Let me know if you want to change info on these, particularly in terms of the Guild/affiliation part. Also if I misspelled something.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at May 21, 2016 around 00:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

• Locked thread