Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Making a Harbinger with Servants of the Dark, as a dev that was running around as a test character set to the enemy faction when Things Happened and just wants to fix this already. Will probably spend a significant amount of time going :| at everyone else's wacky antics.

EDIT: Have some art, why not.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Vivi Cursender of the Eighteenth Circle (aka vvcursender18)

It was just supposed to be another night at the office, you know? I was just testing a few things in-game, nothing special. Checking for clipping issues on a few premium items under high-load conditions, seeing how enemy AI changes when interacting with Fated Circle-flagged players for an upcoming expansion, stuff like that. I know, that's what testers in closed servers are for, but we've been having budget cuts and... That's not the point. The point is, I was just doing my job when everything went wrong.

Now... Now I'm an Arcanist with a legendary sword, everyone's calling me Vivi, and I'm cut off from any outside contact. But that's okay. I can live with that, for two reasons. One, I am a cool Arcanist with a legendary sword, and there are worse things to be called than Vivi. Two, and this is the important part, I know what needs to be done to fix this. It's going to be hard, and the flags we need to set are a bit weird, but it's doable. If it's doable, we can do it. And if we can do it, let's just do it so we can move on with our lives.

Sheet posted:

Look: Messy hair, very old robes, cold eyes, simple jewelry

Blood 0
Courage -1
Grace +1
Sense +2
Wisdom 0
Doom +2

My people are: Servants of the Dark

Agenda:
-Be Brave, Take Risks
-Tell Us Of Your People
-Improve The World Around You
-Fulfill The Prophecy: Tell us about ~The Great Prophecies~ and do your best to fulfill them

Core Moves:
Doomed Soul: The Harbingers are the keepers of prophecy and magic, and their soul is unlike any other. You have a sixth stat, Doom, and an additional +0 to distribute between your other stats. When your Doom stat gets damaged, you must immediately damage one of your other stats as well. When you Finish Them by revealing their fate, by using your knowledge of folklore or the prophecy, or with Wizardry, roll with +Doom.
When you share this move with another, their Doom stat is +1.
When someone who does not have a Doom stat uses a move that rolls +Doom, they roll at +0.

Doom And Gloom: Your Doom makes you hard for others to relate to. You can never have more than one Bond with someone, and others can never have more than one Bond with you.
This move cannot be Shared.

Do Not Trifle With Wizards: Your magic is both dangerous and powerful, for both you and your enemies. When you conjure a powerful spell to destroy something, pay a price, then take up to three points of damage. You inflict that much damage to your target. You then become exhausted, and roll with Despair for the rest of the scene.
Threats To The World and Set Pieces take no damage from this move.
This move cannot be Shared.

Wizardry: When you draw upon the magic inherent to your people, choose one option from below. You may use these spells as often as you need to. When you use one of these magical effects, tell us how it manifested - what does it look like, what does it sound like? What do you need to do to make this happen?
-Conjure a soft light, which floats around you.
-Deliver a message through mysterious means.
-Speak, look or listen as if you were somewhere else that you can see.
-Touch, push or grab as if you were somewhere else that you can see.
When you Share this Move with another, they choose a single spell from the list. That spell is the only one they can use. You can Share this Move with someone multiple times. Each time you do, they learn another of your spells.

Harbinger Customs
Dark And Terrible: When you denounce the deeds of another, you may take one damage to leave a curse upon them. Tell us the nature of the curse, and what must be done to lift it.

Bonds:
-Grid Nótt is my creation given life, and I do not know how to feel about that.
-I am teaching advising Luc1na on the ways of the world.
-Bond with Witch's Broom

Gear:
-Just enough food (2 uses, Food) [][]
-Wizardly baubles (2 uses, Useful) [][]
-A runed sword with a dark past (Melee, Necrotic) - Black Crescent's Waning Blade
-Witch's broom (available in your nearest cash shop for only twenty Crystal Mandalas) (Flight [], Zippy Quick [])
-Source of magic: The leylines of magic that hold reality together (2 uses). You can Use this connection to the leylines to access a sealed location, or seal off an accessible location, bending space to accommodate your needs. [X][X]

Some quick notes, while I'm here:
-Vivi's people are the Fated Circle, an association of soothsayers and arcanists who were previously attempting to control all world governments. Their plans were interrupted by The Event and the massive influx of devs to their ranks that came with it. Between the Overlord, the amount of devs going against Circle mandates to try to fix things and the general chaos besetting Madhya Prithi, the Fated Circle is in a... very strange place. (If it sounds like I'm stretching my people slightly... I am. I'll be honest, I just want an excuse to talk about both a spooky in-universe group and the weird nerd politics that made the game IRL.)
-Is Vivi's magic in-setting, or is it just dev tricks? Short answer: it's hard to tell. The Fated Circle's magicks are mighty enough to appear impossible, and ever any command use from inside the simulation is going to look like magic as long as things are the way they are now.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 12, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I'll take "______'s people serve me now.", and will also wait until I can come up with some more facts and bonds to write anything down.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Vivi's people serve me now. On one hand, the Fated Circle infiltrates other people's organization It's what they do. It's only natural that they'd start serving Khryos with varying amounts of sincerity once he showed up. On the other hand, there's been some weird business dealings around EternaSoft lately. Weird board meetings behind closed doors. Strange lines of code that no one on the dev team remembered writing that they weren't allowed to remove. The CEO poking around the servers in the middle of the night. In short, things that look incredibly suspicious in retrospect. Put those two things together and Vivi is running real low on associates that definitely aren't on Khryos' side.

Three facts about the Fated Circle:
-The Circle has splintered into three main factions from the stress of the Incident. The largest faction is the Garnet Tower, which has decided that they will simply puppet Khryos' burgeoning empire the way they have done for everyone else. The next largest faction is the Black Pearl, which believes the way forward is to just bunker down and wait for things to settle down and the skeins of fate to realign before they begin moving on anything. Finally there are the Unraveled, which is less a faction and more just a collective name for the various antisocial weirdos and confused devs that won't align themselves with any of the other factions within the Circle. (Coincidentally, this is Vivi's faction, mostly because she dgaf.) Maybe enough members with similar philosophies will come together to form an actual third faction, maybe they won't. Either way, every faction thinks they're the true masters of the Fated Circle and that their rivals will fall in line when it is proven necessary. This definitely won't lead to the Circle exploding in the near future.
-The Fated Circle specializes in divination and ley line manipulation, using these magicks to better manipulate society and to make things go the way they should go. Which is to say, the way that benefits the Fated Circle the most.
-There is only sure way to identify a Fated Circle member with 100% certainty. During their initiation rites there is a runic circle tattoo'd somewhere onto the applicant's body, unique to them. Normally this somewhere easily covered by clothes, because it's a secret society.

Vivi wasn't so much chosen by the Fated Circle as nominated herself in the Fated Circle's stead because no one else was particularly interested in doing anything about this. Well, there's probably a few other fellow devs who know what the Prophecy to end all this is. They just don't have any particular power in this world because their dev characters were level 2, or they'd rather just amass power in this brave new world, or they're just too busy freaking out and getting drunk on faerie wine to do anything. The point is, as far as Vivi cares, she's the best person for the job.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Guess I should post some bonds too.

Grid Nótt is my creation given life, and I do not know how to feel about that. Okay, not my creation per se, but Pandemonium Gate was the first dungeon I worked on and that dungeon means a lot to me so... whatever, you get the idea.
I am teaching advising Luc1na on the ways of the world. Is it because advising very important persons is the Fated Circle's default tactic? Or is it just because Luc1na skipped every cutscene and doesn't know the High Tower from a hole in the ground? Perhaps it's both.

This broom has been the best mount money can buy. Literally, it's the fastest flying mount they had in the Cash Shop. It's the main reason I stuck it on Vivi in the first place.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Fated Circle doesn't give much thought to the Nisse. Why waste time with yesterday's emperors when they have the ear of tomorrow's? But there is one thing whispered about them. That they have an ancient wonder kept safe within the heart of their oldest ruins. That this wonder tangles the skeins of fate whenever they try to divine it's nature. That it is only a matter of time before the Nisse do something with it. Something that will cause a great many plans to be thrown to chaos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

So. I'm quitting now. Which I probably should have done significantly earlier than now, but didn't because I kept operating under the false belief that I'd stop not feeling this and getting into a loop of not posting because of general game ennui, which in turn produces more ennui.

• Locked thread