Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Forget everything I said! I'll be putting together a liberated boss monster using the Giant handbook here.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2016 around 03:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Grid Nótt, Carnivale Oni Queen, Final Raid Boss of the Pandemonium Gate

The adventurers had come before, of course, to seal the Pandemonium Gate. But to her, this may as well have been the first time. But there was a feeling of deja vu about it. Like going through the motions, only... this time, nobody came. She felt tense, like waiting for... what? The chamber was silent despite the dramatic trimmings of a macabre party. And so she waited. And waited. And fidgeted and waited. There was something else building, too, a foreign sensation. Thirst and hunger weren't familiar, but they were oddly comprehensible. Still. Her role was to guard the Gate. She hummed a familiar tune without knowing where she'd learned it, but eventually the nagging of her stomach became insistent. Humming a tune that tens of thousands of adventurers had heard, she realized couldn't recall she'd learned it. She had never felt so sick or uncomfortable or troubled. Or felt at all, really. For the first time, she abandoned her duties. She walked out of her zone, past the other myriad creatures wandering the caves, venturing out into the blinding light.

Drinking from the water was the first time she saw her face. A cliche, but she didn't have anything to compare it to. There was a long period where she, sat, pondering her duties, but... there was a certain melancholy. Loneliness? Boredom? She didn't have the understanding to grasp it, but she didn't want to go back. There was something vaguely unpleasant. Like an ill omen, like... something bad had happened to her, but the memories were dim. Furthermore, hunger pulled her onward more insistently.

Though her hunger grew, she didn't feel the need to rest, not yet. The sight and smell of smoke drew her over, before she finally marched heedless into the clearing. Those gathered around the fire stared at her. "Huh, that's a nice outfit.", a fighter said. "Not sure what race, but..." The barbarian pointed, eyes wide. "Don't you recognize what... what that is? That's Grid Nótt! She's a raid boss! She's not supposed to be in the Overworld!" She looked to their cooked meal, not particularly worried about their talk until an elementalist rose. "Look, I'll just scan her-", the spellcaster started, before the barbarian shouted, "No, don't target her, idiot!"

It was more like a programmed reflex from the former raid boss once the scan brought up her information. "Did you come to die by my hands? Congratulations!", she said in a moment of canned dialogue, and swung out with a backhand. The elementalist practically vanished, a line of shattered branches erupting through the treetops before he vanished. She blinked as the others stared at her. "Good or evil? Life or death...", she started to continue in her speech, though all the prerecorded heart went out of it by the end. "... how about weak and... strong? Guess... which... you..." Everything was wrong here. Weren't adventurers stronger? More numerous? The words coming out of her mouth felt like nonsense when she focused on their actual meaning. None of that really mattered, though, as she reached down for the elementalist's cooked chikotrice and picked it up, devouring it hungrily to the bones as she sat down.

"Um...", she mumbled as they stared at her, trying to remember what she could of the adventurer's tongue as it fumbled around clumsily in her newfound brain. "'Sup?"

pre:
Grid Nótt, Giant of Spirit

Look: Burning Eyes, Very Long Hair, Gothic Outfit, Lanky Body

Stats		Agenda			Custom

Blood +2	Be Brave, Take Risks	Feats of Legend
Courage +2	Tell Us Of Your People
Grace -1	Improve the World
Sense +0	Don't Stop Me Now
Wisdom +1

Gear

Fists (Melee)
Huge Object, Thrown (Giant-Sized, Ranged, Dangerous, Reload)
Food (3 Uses, Giant-Sized)
Alcohol (2 Uses, Giant-Sized, Vigor: Blood, Drunk: Sense)
Skin Like Iron
Feats of Legend (1 Use)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2016 around 03:15

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Guided Establishment

Grid's "people" are the raid bosses of the world. As far as the "new world" of Madhya Prithvi is concerned, most raid bosses are just as unusual as adventurers - that is, they didn't have a "natural" place in the world before. There might be a few exceptions, but raid bosses are to normal bosses and monsters what PCs are to NPCs. Of course, now that they're out there, they're likely to have their own impact on the world, though nowhere near as organized or widespread as adventurers would be. In addition, some of them don't have human-level intelligence, and others may have limited roles, like a guardian automaton attached to its zone.

Their awareness of the previous game is more dim, though, because unlike adventurers, they didn't have an active intelligence at the time. It acts as a sort of primal core to their mind, largely subconscious, like the earliest memories act in humans. They don't remember why they have a catchphrase, how they learned to do the Seven Crashing Angels attack, but they do instinctively, because it was programmed into them. Their backstory seems to have come with them, but there are at times inconsistencies that seem unresolved (but then, that always seems to be true of lore, anyway). A few may actually retain some dim awareness of past battles, though this seems to be tied to those that previously had a lot of interaction with adventurers; i.e. were grinded for stuff. There's no seeming logical reason why their code would carry this information, but perhaps there's more to them - or the code -than was immediately obvious in the game...
  • Grid is one of four raid bosses with the type "Oni Queen", which are very tenuously connected the "four oni generals" of Japanese mythology, have roughly Norse names, and festival themes. Generally speaking, they're a mishmash of inspiration. Technically there is also an Oni King in the lore, but not in the game prior to the expansion. Not much is known about him other than that he tries to command or court the four Queens ineffectually, more rival than ruler. There are also other oni-typed enemies, but none are raid bosses.
  • Raid bosses are easily identifiable by the flashing red skull symbol they have in place of a level, though players who never raided may not be familiar with this. (The game usually showed overleveled enemies with flashing red level numbers.) They can't gain levels like adventurers do, but are usually at least on par with max-level adventurers, albeit with much stronger or wider attacks. Some have demonstrated an ability to break reality somewhat, as if there were a conflict between their coded abilities and the new reality they've found in, which can have dangerous effects on the world around them. An enemy that calls up a caldera in an MMO and one that can call up a caldera in a real world are troublingly different things.
  • Grid, of course, wasn’t the only boss in Pandemonium Gate; there was Radost, the skeleton with a dance troupe, Rahmy, a witch with a gatling wand, and Yuanbo, a ghostly general who fights with formations of headstone “troops”, amongst others. The general theme was of the chaotic Pandemonium realm corrupting and stirring up the land of the dead, with Grid just throwing a festival in celebration. Without “guests”, she never fully unsealed it, but it may be troublingly unguarded, depending how the raid zone’s hierarchy shakes up in her absence.
Grid is the main representative amongst the raid zones mainly due to having the strongest connection to other players. Her source was the main area for drops of carnival and gothic-themed garb, and some powerful status effect-inflicting items. She actually might remember some high-level players dimly, and was the first to exit her zone. Where other raid bosses might react in horror or trauma if they knew how many people had been “killed”, she’d probably settle into “So, when are we going to fight again?” after the initial shock. While other bosses might interact with adventurers, she's more likely to put with their nonsense in the interest of exploring new ideas and having a good time.

Bonds

"Sephilia raided my dungeon repeatedly." Grid doesn’t quite know how she knows her, but she does, like an old rival or friend.

”Vivi knows a secret regarding my original code.” It could be a bug, reveal something personal, or be something more sinister. But she knows it, alright.

”Grid secretly admires Khyros’ summit.” Onis value the height of the mountain you can claim.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

2. Whose People has the Overlord mostly ignored?

I'm think the raid bosses / oni seem likely candidates for this.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Id say boss NPCs or the Picopico (for maximum hobbit analogy) for ignoring, so if ARB is cool with it being the boss NPCs, I'm on board.

Given I proposed it, I better be!

Grid thinks the Machinists might be responsible for the Ars Machina (that's "mak-in-uh"), a variety of robots that haunt ancient ruins and mostly just try and bisect adventurers with their buzzsaws or slam them with their hammers. That would explain why they're folk of the highways instead of living in that giant robot that is also a city / mountain that almost seems like they built it, maybe? It's not taking visitors anymore, tho, or at least not letting people leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Also, just let us know whenever leveling comes up.

• Locked thread