Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You are a tree.

You stand tall and proud, your place in the world secure. Your roots reach into every crevice and secret cavern, deep into the core of the world, drawing on many-fold sources of dark strength. Your trunk is a pillar that holds up the sky. The heavens rest on your branches, and the mortal world rests in the shade of your leaves. Your offspring have spread to all places and times, and all know of your greatness!

Or at least they will.

Someday.

Eventually.

If you survive.

For now you are a simple:

A) Seed

B) Nut

C)Fruit

You wait for the day you will be cast from your parent, to make your own way into the world. While you wait to finish growing, your parent imparts its knowledge to you, to prepare you for that fateful day. First it tells you what all trees tell their offspring. It tells you of the Tree-Law, of good rain and helpful animals. Then it tells you of your line, of the First Tree, and the secret knowledge it imparted to your ancestor.

That secret was the secret of:

E)The Flowing Water

F)The Cleansing Fire

G)The Deep Soil

H)The Long Day and Night

I)The Ripping Wind

J)The True Names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1) C
2) J

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
C
F

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
1 - B

2 - I

nuts on the wind

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B/F- We are a tree that is born in fire and grows strong from the ashes of our kinstrees and the lesser arbs. The true kings of the forest, the royal tree.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
B
J

Nuts and minions

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jormagund posted:

B
J

Nuts and minions

This

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

B / J

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
BJ

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
B, J

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Trees that produce fruits and nuts do not grow as large as trees that produce seeds.

I am no whale tree biologist, but I assume this has something to do with how much energy they spend on it. Making fruits and nuts is expensive.

Do we want to be the biggest loving tree ever or what?

Therefore the obvious answer for 1 is...

1-A.

As to 2? Thats more style. But I like J, lets get some true name magic going on!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 15, 2016

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

BJ

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
AJ

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
A & G

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A
J

I like Diog's reasoning. The bigger we grow the better!

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
A +J. True names have true power.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
A,J

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

C, I

Let's be the most METAL of trees, and use our mastery of wind to extend our reach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hura_crepitans

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A. Goin' for that Evergreen.
G. Deep soil means deep roots, stability, nutrients, water from deep in the earth. None shall disturb or dislodge us, our roots will grasp the world.

E: A tree is only as strong as its roots; tend the roots, reap the rewards.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 15, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This man is also a tree: http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

not the same kind as you though

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

That man was immensely brave.

Stupid.

Really, really, really stupid.

But brave.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A to start small and simple and have long-term potential.
J because we can never resist the most secret of secret knowledge.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
CJ

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AJ

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A
J

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think everyone can agree BJ is needed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Possibly irreverent botanical knowledge:

All trees (barring a few exceptions) produce seeds, the ones that just have seeds and not fruits are gymnosperms (fines and cycads etc), they have cones or similar. Angiosperms (flowering plants) are the ones that produce fruit housing the trees seeds. A 'fruit' is the structure that houses seeds which can be a nut/fruit whatever (technically speaking, subject to debate).

Largest trees in the world are fir/pines (North America) and Eucalyptus (Australia), generally.

Eucalypts are baddass because their leaves produce a thick layer of highly flammable litter on the ground and when alive have so much oils that when fires roar through the crowns can virtually explode in a fuel air bomb type scenario. They also recover from fire by pushing new leaves from epicormic buds beneath their skin and post-fire can produce cyanide to deter browsing. They also drip wax onto the soil beneath them to prevent water seeping in and feeding the competition. They are flowering plants are better evolved to take advantage of biological pollinators and seed disperses.

Gymnosperm pines and firs are primitive scrub tier soft wooded shits which need wind/water to spread pollen and seeds aren't as evolved as the flowering plants.

Based on that I'm voting C so we will have flowers and fruit that can be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes and I don't want to be a stupid pine tree.

Also J, because knowledge is power.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

C
J

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's all knowledge.

It's all power.

It's all trees.

You are a tree.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BF

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Outrail posted:

Possibly irreverent botanical knowledge:

All trees (barring a few exceptions) produce seeds, the ones that just have seeds and not fruits are gymnosperms (fines and cycads etc), they have cones or similar. Angiosperms (flowering plants) are the ones that produce fruit housing the trees seeds. A 'fruit' is the structure that houses seeds which can be a nut/fruit whatever (technically speaking, subject to debate).

Largest trees in the world are fir/pines (North America) and Eucalyptus (Australia), generally.

Eucalypts are baddass because their leaves produce a thick layer of highly flammable litter on the ground and when alive have so much oils that when fires roar through the crowns can virtually explode in a fuel air bomb type scenario. They also recover from fire by pushing new leaves from epicormic buds beneath their skin and post-fire can produce cyanide to deter browsing. They also drip wax onto the soil beneath them to prevent water seeping in and feeding the competition. They are flowering plants are better evolved to take advantage of biological pollinators and seed disperses.

Gymnosperm pines and firs are primitive scrub tier soft wooded shits which need wind/water to spread pollen and seeds aren't as evolved as the flowering plants.

Based on that I'm voting C so we will have flowers and fruit that can be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes and I don't want to be a stupid pine tree.

Also J, because knowledge is power.

What about sequoias then? Huh? How you know we're not in dinosaur times before flowers even came out yet? Maybe it's carboniferous and we lose our whole fuckin branches each year instead of leaves? Maybe it's before leaves got invented?

Opp you made a fatal error by not allowing us to choose sporularion as a reproductive method, I'm starting to grow suspicious about your dedication, almost like you aren't completely serious about this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If its the carboniferous and we've got fruit then we're time travelling plants and the world is about to become our bitch.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

C and J of course we are the fruit of knowledge of the true names

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
1. B
2. J

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
AG

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What about sequoias then? Huh? How you know we're not in dinosaur times before flowers even came out yet? Maybe it's carboniferous and we lose our whole fuckin branches each year instead of leaves? Maybe it's before leaves got invented?

Opp you made a fatal error by not allowing us to choose sporularion as a reproductive method, I'm starting to grow suspicious about your dedication, almost like you aren't completely serious about this

I am not a botanist and also you are a tree, not some primitive plant with delusions of grandeur.

I will update sometime tomorrow, as beginnings are important and I want to provide a reasonable amount of time for people to see the thread and vote.

I am going to try to update at least once a day.

This should not be difficult, I'm not exactly typing long form novels over here.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 15, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
2, E Lets get this party started.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You really had a missed opportunity in the title.

"You are a Tree - A TreeYOA"

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

You really had a missed opportunity in the title.

"You are a Tree - A TreeYOA"

"You are a Tree now, Basscop. Go and be a Tree."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Outrail posted:

AJ - Maximum Eucalyptus

• Locked thread