Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

How about this?

Jungle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

There Bias Two posted:

How about this?

Jungle

You have to beat the game on hard to unlock that.

It's fine.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

C) Near the shore of a fresh water lake

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E. Swamps are cool and we can grow as big as we want if we have deep deep taproot and all those insects will be delicious when we developed enzyme secretions and hair trigger snap pods.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

paragon1 posted:

Do you mean how'd he find your parent, or how did he find wherever you end up.

It'd be kind of hard to answer the latter right now for, uh, obvious reasons.

The latter. Thought it could be tossed in with an update/vote count/whatever.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

An impassioned Plea

Goons! Nerds! Friends! Lend me your ears!

Many things may happen on our journey to greatness.
But all greatness starts at the roots. Therefore, where we place ours shall be our greatest concideration. Across the continents we have been carried; and we are lucky our guide was not, itself, incontinent. And now, we find that we must be placed the greatest place. Hear me out, for but a moment, and i shall describe to you how a giant tortoise, in its majesty and glory, shall be the greatest place.
For what is greater than a tortoise? Is it not known that among all that lives and walks and breathes (that is, animalia, the lower order of being), turtles are the slowest and most guarded? Are they not therefore most like the greatest and noblest things, the trees? And is it not known, also, that a turtle's shell has been pressed a hundred times from pure aether to become a turtles shell? Are not turtles known for their wisdom of word and their nobleness of action? does it therefore not beroot us to to place our roots and our Divine & Ever-glorious being upon a turtle?
And think, i beg you, of the possibilities that come with such an enlightened and most wonderful placement of our roots. Rare is the tree that journeys but once within its Magnificent and Most Worthy life; and and here we, most noble and exalted goons, may choose for ourselves a place which shall let us move from place to place, free from all restriction; a fortuitous coincidence such as spoken of only in legend; by setting our roots in upon and animal such as a turtles, whose many virtues and nobleness of nature and of soul has already been expounded upon, do we not so likewise invite the superb and incontestable power and destiny of such legends?
Consider, also, our other options: upon a mountain side, storms and wind shall batter up and mayhaps rip up our trunk and root. Is it not better, then, to sit astride a wise and most philosophical beast which seeks its own shelter?
In a meadow, we shall never know true glory. Whosoever heard of a glorious and wonderfull tree such as that which we must become living in a madow? or a simple lake?
And in a corpse o trees upon a plain; well, such a place must surely a our leaves are green know much strife and competition; and if the plain is not a forrest, there must be few resources and soil ill-suited for our destiny.
As for a river delta, well, have you not heard that at such places live the most ferrocious and undignified monsters? shall we forever have our soil soiled with their filth and violence an blood?
And, as far as islands and oasies go, well, of those i need hardly speak. for we must have our destiny and glory wondered at and admired by the greatest and Most Worthy lives, those of our fellow trees.
It is for these reasons and others that i, with a most serious mind and the most astonishing passion, implore you, my dear fellow goons:

VOTE TURTLE!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A+ for effort. Are you promoting a tortoise or turtle? Because a turtle would kill us pretty quick.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

"No, I mean, why don't *I* poop? In the literal sense."

We poop when bird land. It in update!

paragon1 posted:

You feel yourself being pushed down through Pete's body, it seems you're finally about to *ahem* :airquote: land :airquote:

Voting for E

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mysterious and magical trees are often found standing alone in unassuming meadows by gorgeous glittering lakes. It is known.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

... there's a difference? There isn't in my native language. I'm geussing turtles go in the sea then? so... tortoise.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
H Witch Garden

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Magnusth posted:

... there's a difference? There isn't in my native language. I'm geussing turtles go in the sea then? so... tortoise.

turtles have flippers, tortoises have legs, basically

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

paragon1 posted:

turtles have flippers, tortoises have legs, basically

In that case...

VOTE TORTOISE!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

FoxTerrier posted:

e

Swamps are cool. Fact.

Fact indeed!

E

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
E — I think being a spooky swamp tree goes best with our theme thus far.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
h VOTING TORTOISE!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh God you're trying to turn us into a pokemons.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plan Diog

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

dog kisser posted:

h VOTING TORTOISE!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Throwing in with C I suppose. As much as I'd like the potential and mysteries of the mountaintop, becoming the wise old sage-tree atop the mountain, being above the timberline is just a bit too concerning. We might end up quite tough, but spending decades desperately clinging on to get to that point doesn't sound all that worth it.

Tortoise would be cool under the right conditions, but I worry for what happens to us when it gets into a fight.

Still wonder about the island, being King Tree on our own island could be pretty awesome, and we might make friends from the sea. Plus, really, we should also be wondering about human habitation here. Lakesides are prime targets for logging due to the ease of transportation the water provides. Mystery island could be safe. But it too seems like a pretty big gamble, so I'll go with the safe and cool bet for now.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
H. We shall ride eternal upon the Tortoise.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
C sounds serene and lovely.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you think about it, for a tree, riding on a tortoise is some breakneck poo poo. Ride till I died. Pack of cigs rolled up in our tendril. Sweet leather jacket

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

E

Swamps are cool and we can have cool swamp adventures and drink swamp moonshine and hang out with gators.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nyaa posted:

H. An indoor garden of a visiting UFO with its ceiling window opened.

Love it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Voting is closed.

Sudden death vote between lake or swamp.

Giant tortoise and witch's garden both made good efforts but came up just a bit short.

:ssh: You may get some interesting visitors though!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

swammmmmp

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Someone vote for swamp and accelerated growth!

^^: What he said!

vv: Yeah! Like that!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

E: Swamp time!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Swamp it is!

I hope you are all ready for the latest and greatest experience in survival horror semi-brackish water.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hyper-competition and anoxic conditions can produce some gnarly poo poo yo.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

paragon1 posted:

Swamp it is!

I hope you are all ready for the latest and greatest experience in survival horror semi-brackish water.

Think of all the skeltals we can grow vines through and use to be puppeted, mobile defenders

:yohoho:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Trees are :krad:

Do you know what's also :krad:? Dragons!

Check out the new CYOA "To Dream of Dragons," where you play a dragon, born in a dream and trying to become real and physical. It's just now starting, so come join us and have fun!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768781

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Double post.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
E

The swamp calls to me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lotta new CYOA's popping up lately. Feels like there some sort of cycle on SA. Yearly or something?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
In answer to Erghh's question: "Oh you know I just followed the buzzing of my favorite snacks and next thing you know here I was and I thought 'wow, look at all those trees. Trees must really like it here' and so here we are!"

Pete has dropped you in the middle of a river delta swamp. Water is everywhere, but competition for virtually all other resources is fierce. It's likely to be crawling (literally) with all sorts of life, some friendly, some hostile. There's just a slight tinge of salt in the air. Normally dropping you directly in such an environment would mean your unceremonious and immediate death, but Pete at least had enough sense to drop you on a slightly elevated dry patch. Hopefully it's a flood year, and not a drought year. Oh, and one other thing, your immediate surroundings have a somewhat unusual feature.

kindly ignore the human, thank you

Oh! And Pete left you a gift of sort. You should probably decide what to do with that. It's poo poo. No I don't mean it is a bad gift, I mean the gift is his poo poo. It's chock full of the good stuff and that means adaptations.

As it stands you still bear all the features of your isolated plains upbringing. You'll do best with a moderate amount of water and all the sun you can get, and you'll grow out and up at equal rates. Your roots will seek to grow more out than down, and you have a massive resistance against uprooting via wind. You do best in neutral soil with low to no salinity.

There is a shitton more water here and a good deal less sunlight than you are used to having. Tall trees loom not far away, though luckily whatever event caused the giant's skull to be placed here also cleared away some of the competition, so they aren't an immediate danger from them (and they haven't even noticed your arrival, the fat bastards). The soil is moderately salty and very acidic.

Pete's poo poo is practically magic, and will let you take three adaptations. Pick one. The top three results win.

A) Water! Change your internal structure to both tolerate and take greater advantage of a large abundance of water.
B) This tree has nowhere to go but up, up, up! Make it so that you grow taller faster than you grow wider.
C) You're in an expansive mood. Make it so that you grow wider faster than you grow taller.
D) gently caress the sun, who needs that guy anyway? Make yourself less dependent on sunlight, start developing means of gathering energy that don't rely on photosynthesis.
E) I tried to think of a funny way to work in a spinaltap->taproot joke but it just didn't happen. :smith: Grow your roots down, more than out.
F) Who says roots have to go in the ground anyway? Have your roots grow so much more out rather than down that they're practically a web on the surface, like some sort of shameless harlot.
G) Get salty. Increase your tolerance.
H)You feel the burn. Become more tolerant of acidic soil.

After enjoying Pete's poo poo gift, you begin to unpack and adjust to your new home.

What would you like to prioritize doing in your first few days as a tiny little shoot?

I) Get the root network growing faster, really dig in.
J) We're gonna need more leaves. Lots of leaves.
K)Make allies amongst the small creatures, the worms, nematodes, and insects. Cut deals with spiders.
L)Try to make yourself known to the trees around you.
M)Focus on your core. Grow your main body more.
N)Listen! You might learn of secret knowledge, or hear terrible things that you need to know about. Things a tall tree might not hear.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 19, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Outrail posted:

Lotta new CYOA's popping up lately. Feels like there some sort of cycle on SA. Yearly or something?

Perennial, maybe.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
A Gotta drink it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

paragon1 posted:

D) gently caress the sun, who needs that guy anyway? Make yourself less dependent on sunlight, start developing means of gathering energy that don't rely on photosynthesis.
Lack of sunlight of a terminal problem, fixing it has to be a priority.

paragon1 posted:

K)Make allies amongst the small creatures, the worms, nematodes, and insects. Cut deals with spiders.
We are immobile and defenseless. Some mobile help could make all the difference!

• Locked thread