Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

DI the sun won't help us down here, and we need deep roots if we are too survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
HK - Adapting to the acid is the first step towards learning the true name of the acid. Cutting deals with the smaller creatures means that as more of them flock to live around us/defend us in exchange for living space/higher ground more of them shall fall to the earth when they die, filling what little soil we have with delicious nutrients.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
H
N

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
DN, never vote not to listen to whispers.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A and I

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Pete's poo poo is practically magic, and will let you take three adaptations. Pick one. The top three results win.
G) Get salty. Increase your tolerance.

What would you like to prioritize doing in your first few days as a tiny little shoot?
K)Make allies amongst the small creatures, the worms, nematodes, and insects. Cut deals with spiders.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

DH

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The tree voting is now tree closed.

Trees.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You quickly decide that if the sun can get to you, then you will simply have to find other ways to feed yourself. You begin by focusing deeply on the creatures you know are there but cannot see. Creatures so small that they have no voices. But they do have a Name. You bind them to your very core, into which you will pump what nutrients you can muster. These creatures will break the nutrients down and survive of a small portion, turning the rest over to you. You cannot ferment as efficiently as you can photosynthesize, but it will keep you from starving when the shadows of much older neighbors grow too long to bear.

You also make adjustments that will allow you a much greater tolerance for water. You can absorb much more water without ill effect, and the soggy soil no longer bothers you. Flooding in any great amount will still pose a threat to you. You'll have to adapt a lot more to this area before you can handle all this water like a native.

The soil burns, at first, it almost feels like its eating you. Through a great deal of focus and not a little bit of damage to yourself, you manage to shift your internal chemistry to better tolerate and even take advantage of this hostile soil. Your root growth is now merely somewhat difficult instead of a complete non-starter.

Once you got acclimated enough to your surroundings that it didn't feel like they were constantly trying to murder you at all times (now they just feel like rear end in a top hat neighbors that occasionally throw rocks and who are on watchlists for buying too many explosives), you begin to do what those of your line have always done, make deals. You're prepared to do some hardnosed bargaining and use every bit of leverage you've got in order to make it.

And the True Names give you quite a bit of leverage. You must be careful though, using the Names too carelessly, or use them to force too much, and risk attracting unwanted attention. And the neighbors would gossip horribly. Your parent generally alleviated this sort of problem by using the Names to enforce deals in which the other party usually had some sort of benefit, rather than making crude demands.

You used many names in those first few weeks. In what way did you usually use them?

A) Defensively, you only used them to protect yourself. Nothing more.
B) You followed your parent's example, and used them to enforce mutually beneficial deals.
C) You were imperious. You did what you had to fulfill your wants and needs. The concerns of others were secondary.
D) You were tyrannical. You used the Names to fulfill your every whim, and cared not at all for others.

And as for those you negotiated with? They were many, their own concerns and perceptions of you varied. The only thing they had in common was that they were not so large or powerful that you couldn't bind them with their Name.

Who did you seek out first?
A) The Nematode Clan were, as always, quite simply everywhere, and they heard everything, even if as an undecipherable garbeled mess.
B)The local flying insects had unionized, they sent a delegation with a representative from each swarm and cloud.
C) An expecting mother centipede lived nearby, and negotiated on behalf of her children.
D) A local frog clan was in dispute with the spiders, and asked to speak with you.
E) The local spiders sent out one of their most venerated sages to speak with you.

Note: You will be able to negotiate with all the above options mentioned, this vote simply determines the order, which is important.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

paragon1 posted:

Once you got acclimated enough to your surroundings that it didn't feel like they were constantly trying to murder you at all times (now they just feel like rear end in a top hat neighbors that occasionally throw rocks and who are on watchlists for buying too many explosives)

This is awesome, as is this CYOA!

1 B: I don't think it would be wise to overuse them at the moment.
2 E: Spider sage!

Also, would it be possible to arrange a meeting with the spiders and the frogs, with us as a mediating figure?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dammerung posted:

This is awesome, as is this CYOA!

1 B: I don't think it would be wise to overuse them at the moment.
2 E: Spider sage!

Also, would it be possible to arrange a meeting with the spiders and the frogs, with us as a mediating figure?

if you get them to agree to it, yes.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

BB

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
1) B - let's not tip our hands too early, maintain a balanced power

2) A - they can be our Echelon. Information is awesome.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

BA

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
BC

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

BE - I'm with Dammerung, let's make peace.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: B
2: C

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

B
A

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
BB Insect Union!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1.B Lets not go powermad until we're a bit bigger

2. C We could use some guardians to keep the drat caterpillars and ants off of our leaves :argh:

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
BE all we can tree.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B
E

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A
B

Let's get some helpers first, then we can start listening to others' complains, when we can actually be of help.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BC

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

B
E

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

B
A

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

B
E

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BE all that you can tree.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Slaan posted:

1.B Lets not go powermad until we're a bit bigger

Yeah Enkidel, be patient!

BE

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
DC

Now is our weakest moment. We must claw our way up as quickly and as powerfully as we can. Damned be our diplomacy, make Oak great again.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
BE

Broker peace.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
BE

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
BE cautious!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Slightly Lions posted:

BB Insect Union!

+1

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
B,E

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
BE

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

B
A

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

BE all you can tree.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
BE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

BE all we can tree.

McSpanky posted:

BE all that you can tree.

Jewcoon posted:

BE all you can tree.