Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm most interested in Pikachu Libre

So I fully expect her to be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

cram me sideways posted:

Most important to me - is there going to be a bunch of stupid poo poo to unlock, ala Tekken Tag Tournament 2 or Soul Calibur 5? It's a Namco fighting game, so I have hope.

Character-wise, just mewtwo and shadow mewtwo, but you can earn coins by playing and spend them on a bunch of stuff to customize your player avatar too

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You also unlock stages and assist pokemon, and you can also dress Nia up too or whatever her name is. The assist lady.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
this game looks insanely fun, hopefully I see yall online!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Aww, the winner of the junior division of the tournament (ages 16 and under) was so excited that he won that he starting crying tears of joy. This game is great.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
US players, get back to this thread IRT how well the online play is. I find Smash Bros unfuckingbearable, but since this is a Namco fighter, maybe the online won't be complete dogshit.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Theta Zero posted:

Aww, the winner of the junior division of the tournament (ages 16 and under) was so excited that he won that he starting crying tears of joy. This game is great.

That was the senior division, but yeah that was really touching, even if I wanted the Sceptile to win :3:

EDIT: Game's out in Europe!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Waterfall of Salt posted:

That was the senior division, but yeah that was really touching, even if I wanted the Sceptile to win :3:

EDIT: Game's out in Europe!

The kid who lost to him DID NOT take it well.

I didn't see anything before the first link in the thread, so I just saw the trainers battling it out and on from there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id69xlDk0f8

This game's soundtrack owns, apparently.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Amppelix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id69xlDk0f8

This game's soundtrack owns, apparently.

Oh my good god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOwUccAO5Q

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 18, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I told myself I wasn't going to get Pokken but reading about the various bells and whistles they included that certain other fighting games currently lack and about people already having favorable impressions of the online experience has me leaning toward biting the bullet and getting it at midnight. I'm gonna be the very best like that Weyland kid.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Any other folks for the midnight train? Looking forward to watching Sceptile move in from UU to OU in the meta here :v:

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Is anyone else weirded out by how big Charizard's nostrils are?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well I just got the eshop code from Amazon and it'll take a while to download.

I'll probably have to call Nintendo to see if my amazon eshop preorder qualifies me for the amiibo card.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I'll probably have to call Nintendo to see if my amazon eshop preorder qualifies me for the amiibo card.

Nope! No non-physical versions are eligible for the Shadow Mewtwo amiicard. It's not particularly relevant since it just lets you use the character before you legitimately unlock it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm downloading this game. Gonna be Pokken around the training dojo in about 15 minutes if things keep downloading steadily.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Pyswagoras posted:

Is anyone else weirded out by how big Charizard's nostrils are?

Reading Miiverse posts again?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

When you're trying to learn a character, after running through their Action Dojo and Combo Dojo sections in the tutorial area, I suggest checking out their movelist in the pause menu. You'll find out properties of various moves that otherwise wouldn't be immediately apparent. For instance, some of Garchomp's strings and a couple of his A button special moves can transition directly into the Running Stance that normally requires a fff input on the dpad.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Dizz posted:

Reading Miiverse posts again?

I wish I could blame my bad posting on Miiverse.

edit:

Pyswagoras fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 18, 2016

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

One hour, two minutes, and thirty-four seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4YP3WciF-8

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I remember Pikachu Libre busting out a stunner in this game for no reason other than Pikachu Libre.

Is this true in the final game.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dunno about that but the burst mode attack is a body slam in a wrestling arena.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish this game had some random compatibility with the 3ds games. Have people played it much yet?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

widespread posted:

I remember Pikachu Libre busting out a stunner in this game for no reason other than Pikachu Libre.

Is this true in the final game.

Yes, it's some type of throw.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Machamp strong

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I played this game a lot today, here's my thoughts:

- the online is pretty much flawless so far both in terms of features and stability, street fighter v should be mad embarrassed

- the tutorials are very well done and i feel like i understand all the systems on day 1

- the combos are really really easy for better or worse and the phase shift system essentially guarantees you dont need to remember anything longer than four hits, good for people who dont like execution in their fighters

- the offline grind is real, you have to play 20 or so matches per league to rank up and for the first 40 or so fights you're basically against a training dummy

- shadow mewtwo is so lame

- customisation is really broad and cute, lots of trainer items to equip and a tooooooon of titles (including unlock requirements written out plain as day) + classic nintendo online chat messages

- the music is loving lit

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pyswagoras posted:

I wish I could blame my bad posting on Miiverse.

edit:

I'm disappointed that "I like shorts" isn't one of the comments.

How do you unlock the Mewtwos without amiibo cards?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i risk it all on a good explosion

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

the game has good comments

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like the charizard one that's just the ramblings of a madman

Do I even need to tell you why Charizard is the best I mean really all crammed into a tiny rear end box

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm disappointed that "I like shorts" isn't one of the comments.

How do you unlock the Mewtwos without amiibo cards?

Beating Shadow Mewtwo in the "story" unlocks mewtwo, and fully completing that mode unlocks Shadow Mewtwo

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I've never finished or even really played a Pokemon game in my life, but I really REALLY want this game. It's been too long since I've had a Namco fighter absorb me for days on end.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ranked Matchmaking is absolutely hosed and may as well not even have a logarithm for all the good it seems to be doing. I've run up against people who are two tiers higher than me with twice as many games played, people with significantly higher win rates than mine, and for my first actual rank-up match I got placed against a 0-0 player when I'm up to ~20 battles.

:psyduck:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This game has a really good tutorial and the customisation is very cute. Also, in the first fight against Shadow Mewtwo I pulled a victory out of my rear end with less than a second on the clock, so that was cool.

After an hour and a half playing this game I think I can cautiously say it is Hella Good.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i have spent my entire afternoon on this so far

tutorial is amazing, explains things that people who haven't played fighters wouldn't know about (like recovery on block and attacks that can combo on hit) without getting too complicated, combos are not hard at all and there are a wide variety of things to learn because of the shift mechanic, avatar customization is extremely varied and there are a shitton of titles to collect, and yes the game music is fantastic. havent tried online, probably will hit it up tomorrow

my chandelure is 25 and i've only unlocked red league but the game owns owns owns and im probably going to play it for the foreseeable future

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo what is this game?
I'm watching Rico Suave play it right now and its..

my mouth has yet to close its agape with awe as I watch machop fight a literal chandelier with lasers.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I was hyped for this when it was revealed, and as the years went by I got a little worried when I heard all the rumours about the machines being pulled from arcades and other bad signs.

Pre-ordered regardless and holy moly I do not regret it one bit. I can't sing its praises enough, and my only gripe is the campaign grind and pants-on-head matchmaking algorithms in use.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can kinda cheese the campaign by just spamming Chandelure's A button flame move. The AI has trouble blocking it for some reason.

I don't feel too guilty about it's an unfun slog and I'll just learn bad habits anyway.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can kinda cheese the campaign by just spamming Chandelure's A button flame move. The AI has trouble blocking it for some reason.

I don't feel too guilty about it's an unfun slog and I'll just learn bad habits anyway.

I've basically been using it as a training mode with ramping difficulty before tackling ranked in earnest.

Which leads me to ask; do you goons use the d-pad or the stick to move around? I use the stick out of habit and find it tricky to get dodges off consistently. Is the d-pad the way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I use the stick, though I know I should probably use the pad.

I love how quick the load times are and how fast you can get through menus and between matches.

Gengar is a beast. Sitting at about lvl 55 thus far.

edit: WTF is up with the voice actors? Though I'm digging the poor man's Christopher Walken they got to do Walter the Elder.

Fix fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 19, 2016

• Locked thread