Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Emalde posted:

Hold block unless you feel like they are going to grab you, attack them as they are winding down from their attack spam

This is really helpful and I hope to read more posts like it in the future!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bass Bottles posted:

This is really helpful and I hope to read more posts like it in the future!!

I know, but it's real advice. Some pokemon in the cast are fast and have long auto-combos, the urge to mash is very much a thing :v:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Emalde posted:

I know, but it's real advice. Some pokemon in the cast are fast and have long auto-combos, the urge to mash is very much a thing :v:

Lol I wasn't being sarcastic

Even basic flow of fighting games is foreign to me

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Emalde posted:

Avlein make a post itt about Oki for me, I don't have time to write it out via phone

Knockdowns are very scary in this game. If you're flat on the floor, you're subject to a lot of mixup options from your opponent if they're standing right beside you. While you're on the floor, you can wake up with attacks, blocks, counters or jumps. All of which are pretty much gambles depending on what your opponent is going to do as soon as you get back on your feet. There's no right option here, just make a choice and then pick a god and pray that you don't get Critical Hitted.

If you're the one looming over your victim, by far the easiest way to cash out on your knockdown is to throw out a grab upon getup. It trumps both block and counters (two moves that most panicking opponents will try to do when getting up) and usually knocks them right back down again. Be warned that grabs do get beaten out if your opponent mashes light attack or jump during wakeup. Try to mix it up by doing counters or charging up a strong attack with multiple hits (like Lucario's back+A) so they don't get complacent with your constant grabbing.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I like the gengar in this video game but I am very bad at it

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i haven't played a non-smash fighting game seriously since like dbz budokai but i'm getting decent at this and i believe you guys can too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
surrounding my avatar with hearts+sparkles atm

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why does this plaid flannel lookin jacket have a j.o crystal with it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just played through the tutorials a few times and now I feel like I have a decent handle at the game.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I'm loving me some Chandelure. His attacks have such long range and smog is amazing for knocking enemies away from you and keeping the distance. Hex is the best thing ever if you land it with 2 debuffs on the enemy. I've been kind of on the side learning some pikachu libre because i've been seeing a shameful lack of him online.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I'm not feeling this game. The unlockables are dull and there's no way to actually customize the Pokemon. I keep seeing the same four or five fighters, no matter where I play. The game flows like a really stunted Soul Calibur - you're committed to a move for at about 2 seconds when you activate it, but it doesn't flow. There isn't any grace or nuance the attacks; it's just a matter of sticking them and reaping the benefits.

I guess I got caught up in the thread hype. Maybe if you're a Pokemon fan, none of this actually matters.

And gently caress the adviser; lady I don't need you telling me that some dipshit in Florida kicked my rear end and "read me like a book." :mad: Turned her rear end off.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I love Garchomp but i hate people spamming dig. I've gotta learn the timing for inputs better. People keep getting attacks on me while i try to get the block up.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Dizz posted:

A hex to anyone whom got the game early. My reached NJ and will probably stay there until tommorrow noon :suicide:
You should use debuffs before you use hex, unless they are being very turtle-y in Duel Mode.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I love Garchomp but i hate people spamming dig. I've gotta learn the timing for inputs better. People keep getting attacks on me while i try to get the block up.
I love people spamming dig because I just block their dp and punish them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im having a great time playing as braixen and attacking from the opposite side of the screen

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Nahxela posted:

I love people spamming dig because I just block their dp and punish them.

Just wait until they all figure out that dig is cancelable into throws

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
come to the discord in 15 minutes if u want an asskicking

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

just watched pikachu libre stone cold stunner a normal pikachu

pokemon shouldn't be fighting like this

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I don't really understand this game but I enjoy hitting people with my crystal ice dog's ice attacks.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I picked this up, went online, and remembered why I don't play fighting games anymore. The single player is really fun at least!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

training mode tips: zl and zr let you instantly switch between field and duel phases, holding a direction on the dpad while pressing them lets you instantly set the position of you and the training dummy

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Eleeleth posted:

I picked this up, went online, and remembered why I don't play fighting games anymore. The single player is really fun at least!

I was the same way, trying to make Blaziken work. Need up with about 30% win rate, really getting frustrated. Switched to Pika Libre this afternoon and holy poo poo having a lot more fun. I was against her addition at first due to Hawlucha being a better lunch adore, but that doesn't make her less fun.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

R. Pika can attack by ramming her rear end into the enemy.
This is officially the best game ever.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
where the gently caress is jigglypuff sleepin on motherfuckers

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I lost the second fight vs shadow mewtwo when it only had 10 hp left

I'm so salty about that

E: I still got a body splash off on it with Libre so good enough.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I lost the second fight vs shadow mewtwo when it only had 10 hp left

I'm so salty about that

E: I still got a body splash off on it with Libre so good enough.

gently caress that fight. Just cheese it with Chandelure's A attack like I did.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress that fight. Just cheese it with Chandelure's A attack like I did.

Is there a option to actually rematch him? It was some story event after I cleared Blue League

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You eventually have to fight him a few times and one of the fights is total bullshit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough, and man I hope I get more stages soon. Up to red league and would like to see more then Diggersbyland and that Autumn town.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Magikarp Festival is the best stage qtiyd.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Senerio posted:

Magikarp Festival is the best stage qtiyd.

Yes.

Gaffle posted:

Just wait until they all figure out that dig is cancelable into throws

Dig is also cancellable into jump which looks pretty funny.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the number of people who are playing online for the first time and still kicking my rear end is somewhat discouraging.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYt0--CiPY

Immediately ruined.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Holy poo poo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What is with the league anyway. I just kinda thought about it but there's like 10 new guys and apparently 100+ Highest of the high.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
So I played Pokken for about six hours straight. I used only Suicune, haven't even looked at anyone else. The game's pretty fun, but it takes quite a lot to figure out, especially coming from Smash and having never played a traditional fighter seriously.

I love running into scrub Pikachus that spam Thunderbolt and Braixens that spam Fireball and I'm just like "lol, Mirror Coat." And they keep doing it!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm using Chandalure's A button method to go through the story and just finished the whole shadow mewtwo thing before the top tier things

Curious I hoped online and tried the mash a strat and beat a Machamp with it somehow. In honor of that guy my new greeting is "Machamp is on Fire!"

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I picked the game up on a whim since I like Pokémon. Not really a fan of tekken or the anime fighters namco/Bandai has produced, so I didn't expect much. But it's a ton of fun and I'm pleasantly surprised at how smooth the online experience is. Matches come quickly and feel good.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

is anyone else weirded out by Charizard's pecs

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im more weirded out by Blazikens cock n balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nia's voice actor is great for Story Mode

Everything she says sounds super condescending like she hates everyone and it's funny.

"Please help mewtwo!"

"Wow! That sounds super bad I guess!" :jerkbag:

• Locked thread