Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can tap five amiibo a day to get free amiibo-only items, and then tap the same five amiibo every day afterwards. Also this game is good, I really like the field mode > duel mode > field mode transitions, it sorta scratches a Dragonball itch now that I think about it.

I like Pika Libre a lot but Regular Pikachu has a good variety of tools to get in close and to battle zoners, who I don't want to get gobbled up by. Lucario feels really good too but I gotta be honest,

e: Diglett/Cubone is my favorite assist set so far. One is great for tying up nuisances and the other pulls opponents towards you even when they're blocking and sets up very fun grabs.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Just got this game today, and I've only played as Gengar so far but I am having so much fun being a command grabbing jerk who sends people to the shadow realm as a finishing move.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Found some Gengar tech: If you do his upward divekick thing (up + x in the air) super low to the ground he'll hit the ground during his little teleport windup animation and go back into neutral. You gotta hit the buttons pretty fast but it covers more distance faster than his regular backdash. It works best in duel phase, you can do it during field too but he likes to go into the homing attack if you try to do it in succession so it's less useful.

e: Just checked it again and it's actually about the same distance but it's definitely faster.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 20, 2016

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gengar 4 life

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Where's Snorlax

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I'm playing Garchomp and just loving taking off half an opponent's health because I landed his backwards weak attack which just transitions to borderline every combo he has. On top of his command grab and command counter. Garchomp is great.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
If any of you were hoping single player gets harder, I'm sad to say it doesn't. Chandelure mash a works throughout chroma league, final mewtwo fight, and iron league, including the final fight of the campaign.

I guess watch out for gardevoirs since they can beat your long range bullshit but otherwise yeah its easy, gets you the titles/cash to play pretty princess quickly

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Seriously though why the gently caress isn't there any option to put loving hats and costumes on your goddamn Pokemon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm not sharing my santa hat with my pokemon. Little shits can conjure up the elements and slice through rocks, looking stylish is all we have over them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cram me sideways posted:

Seriously though why the gently caress isn't there any option to put loving hats and costumes on your goddamn Pokemon.

that requires way more dev time than paper dolls.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I made a video about the thing because I like to make videos about things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3Jr1T1CBw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Some of these trainer comments are truly incredible

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

absolutely anything posted:

I made a video about the thing because I like to make videos about things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3Jr1T1CBw

Thanks for this. It's interesting tech in a small enough chunk that makes sense to me. Instead of a ridiculously long string of "Just do this" that combos and explanations are most of the time. I still won't touch Gengar online for a while, but it's interesting for local matches.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

you... and me... and a ferrum battle.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Three days of tapping Amiibos brought me a full set of Santa's suit, hat and 'Merry Christmas' background for my avatar. Not sure why the game was so eager to get me Christmas supplies.

IronicDongz posted:

I love the full set of comments about when the best time to play Pokken is. Mine is currently 'Real Pokken players play in the early afternoon!'

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Going to a Pokken Tournament Tournament this afternoon. I'm thinking I'll probably play Pikachu Libre and bust out some stone cold stunners. I haven't had the urge to try any other fighters because I hear Good Ol' JR in my head every time I connect a Down + A

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

Animals don't wear hats.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

love how one of the machamp trainers had a "do you even lift?" title.

I know Nintendo said "no dlc planned" but I'm hoping it's another misdirection like with smash or mario kart and they take the time to fill up the empty spots on the map/character screen. The premise and fighting engine is so good they could keep supporting this for a while.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I feel like I made a mistake with maining Machamp cause I get zoned on a lot in duel phase, but he's extremely satisfying to play once you get in. I've been trying to focus on good field play so that I can force the phase change at close range so I'm not fighting an uphill battle.

I really enjoy dunking somebody out of field phase and destroying them with throw/close combat mix-ups.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question for Lucha Chu's

1: How do you close the gap effectively with her in both phases? I'm /ok/ when I get in but her walk speed is abysmal in Dual Phase and nothing other then the easy-to-see coming dive kick really closes the distance fast enough.

2: Sometimes in her Y Y Y combo her fist becomes blue and you can do a lot of other poo poo after it. Problem I'm having is the instructions say "carefully time the presses" and I'm pretty sure the game is lying to me and it's random because i can push it the exact same and sometimes get it to come out and other times it's just the normal yellow one. This one is super frustrating and if anyone can clear it up that would be nice.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Sparkle heart combo is mandatory imo

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Reiley posted:

Animals don't wear hats.

Pikachu does.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question for Lucha Chu's

1: How do you close the gap effectively with her in both phases? I'm /ok/ when I get in but her walk speed is abysmal in Dual Phase and nothing other then the easy-to-see coming dive kick really closes the distance fast enough.

2: Sometimes in her Y Y Y combo her fist becomes blue and you can do a lot of other poo poo after it. Problem I'm having is the instructions say "carefully time the presses" and I'm pretty sure the game is lying to me and it's random because i can push it the exact same and sometimes get it to come out and other times it's just the normal yellow one. This one is super frustrating and if anyone can clear it up that would be nice.

Blue lightning triggers when you cause a phase shift with a pokemon move (a). If you are already in blue mode, Y Y Y will be enhanced, but i dont think you can go blue with that combo. Duel mode Up + A is fantastic in blue mode too. Its a long paralize that you can use to set up other great moves, or you can waste it on Down + A and drop a stunner like I do.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
JWong+Appleboom has been really fun to watch so far

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
What's the best way to get good? Online play? Training mode? The campaign seems a little too mindless but maybe that gives you a chance to learn strategy in a safe environment?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Best way to get good is to join the discord! https://discord.gg/0th271u4YmmhJeQf

Seriously, though. As someone who only recently got into fighting games, the best way I've found to get better is to play against actual people who you are comfortable with giving you constructive criticism. That said, this game also has a VERY good training mode which should be utilized. Campaign and CPU battles are good for warming yourself up probably, but the AI in this game is very weak and with any fighting game the experience you get fighting a computer is vastly different to what you'll get fighting another human being.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bass Bottles posted:

What's the best way to get good? Online play? Training mode? The campaign seems a little too mindless but maybe that gives you a chance to learn strategy in a safe environment?

Play a touch of the tutorial mode, then go online for a good, long while. Get dunked, but learn your moves and other character behaviors, get comfortable with the RPS triangle and general flow of matches. Allow your frustrations at how you feel your character/playstyle don't seem to match up or be improving to build. Then, go youtube up some tournament play and have your core understanding of everything shaken and dismantled.
Incorporate the new knowledge via practice mode, repeat ad infinitum.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I don't have fighting game playing friends unfortunately. But I think I will stick with online and try to always pay attention to what is happening and why it is happening THANK YOU

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Best way to get good is to join the discord! https://discord.gg/0th271u4YmmhJeQf

What is discord?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I've never seen a twitch chat so anal about the names/pronounciation of things before

JetpackHowwy posted:

What is discord?
a much better chat program than skype

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

"IronicDongz" posted:

a much better chat program than skype

Don't you mean the flavor of the month chat program? It was slack before that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Slack is awesome for an office or work group...not so sure about arranging video game poo poo.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Discord is literally a build of slack with voice chat and game-related features.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Combo dojo is a very good feature. Cycling through the full moves dojo set is also an extremely good way to learn a character. Very good game A+. Are they going to have arcade cabinets set up at EVO or are they going to do the nightmare dance with wireless pro controller coupling?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

good lord this game is fun

pikachu libre 4 life holy poo poo

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This game is alot of fun even though I'm pretty terrible at fighting games and basically mash buttons to win. Is it just me or does Suicune have a death stare that could rival Luigi's from Mariokart 8? Also, :laffo: at Pikachu imitating Heihachi.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

oh my GOD :aaaaa:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Reiley posted:

Combo dojo is a very good feature. Cycling through the full moves dojo set is also an extremely good way to learn a character. Very good game A+. Are they going to have arcade cabinets set up at EVO or are they going to do the nightmare dance with wireless pro controller coupling?

I imagine they'll probably use LAN + Pokken controllers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I like how pikachu libre does way the gently caress more damage in enhanced mode. One Stunner is almost 50% in that mode, and it's fast as gently caress and you can combo into it. It also gets Counter frames too. That and Double Team's quasi-invincibility make her terrifying.

• Locked thread