Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Xad posted:

Discord is literally a build of slack with voice chat and game-related features.

Ah good to know. I'm just used to the wave of everyone wanting to use HipChat, then Slack, then this. It gets tiring.

What are we supposed to be noticing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Drowning Rabbit posted:

What are we supposed to be noticing?

Doesn't it sound similar to a certain popular song?

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I am full of noob emotions. How do I use suport pokemon other than the first three online? I unlocked some bUT I don't have thr option to choose them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reznor posted:

I am full of noob emotions. How do I use suport pokemon other than the first three online? I unlocked some bUT I don't have thr option to choose them.

You choose at the my village thing or whatever it's called.

Also man I'm a clusterfuck online. I fought a guy who just threw a ton of poo poo at me and if I managed to close in would hold his shield up to catch me and toss me. I'm so bad I had no idea what I was doing :negative:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If someone is shielding your approach you can use your X combo in Field Mode and just hold the last input, the burst does piercing damage and forces the shift to Duel Mode. Mishima Pikachu has a really good Field Mode move in back+Y, where you very quickly leap forward and burst into Duel Mode.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Not Amiibo, but you you really need a practical reason?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reiley posted:

If someone is shielding your approach you can use your X combo in Field Mode and just hold the last input, the burst does piercing damage and forces the shift to Duel Mode. Mishima Pikachu has a really good Field Mode move in back+Y, where you very quickly leap forward and burst into Duel Mode.

Yeah as I'm playing more I'm starting to grasp stuff I was underappreciating like the counter attack on the triangle. Just remembered it and went like 10 wins in a row before taking a break.

I really should probably try to learn someone other than Libre at some point but her attacks are so fun I feel like I'd instantly be downgrading myself if I didn't stone cold stunner everyone.

E: Except Gengar, I remember hearing that he was broken when the game was just arcade stuff and I have no goddamn idea what I'm supposed to do against him. He's scary as all hell.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gengar's grab game is really strong but his super is a grab too so if you jump it can't get you. You can jump over Pika's too but you can also really easily confirm into it from light attacks. Pika's >Y >Y vX vA combo in Duel Mode is really satisfying to pull off. Thunder is the best anti-zoner move I've ever seen, if they stand still to throw out a strong laggy projectile you can always drop a Thunder on their heads, it forces them to move and saves you from getting pinned down too badly.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Doesn't it sound similar to a certain popular song?

Do you really believe this was going to work. Captain obvious strikes again. I obviously don't know what song it is riffing off the top of my head, hence the question.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

It's Gangnam style in the background

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I've spent a decent amount of time now with Chandelure and love him. For support, it's Eevee all the way. Pair that with his overheat attack and you are dealing 250+ damage in no time. He's just a bag of tricks. I'm totally in love.

My biggest pain online is Gardevoir whose 3D game /zoning game is strong. Whenever I face a Gardevoir I'm forcing phase shift asap. Online has been smooth.

I know the local coop isn't ideal, but it's no worse than Mario Kart 8. I'm not finding myself worry about frame count (not yet) and so while it's not silky smooth, it's far from unplayable. I did play a local game of Braixen versus Blaziken and the game just started chugging because of all the particle effects. Outside of that though, I didn't find it to be broken.

Suicunes and Gengars have been noticeably absent in most of my games. Can't wait to see what people are doing with them.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I like espeon for chendelure support. The debuff removal lets me use overheat without the debuffs after every once in a while. Though i suppose eevee would have basically the same result if you use it after the buff.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Reiley posted:

Gengar's grab game is really strong but his super is a grab too so if you jump it can't get you. You can jump over Pika's too but you can also really easily confirm into it from light attacks. Pika's >Y >Y vX vA combo in Duel Mode is really satisfying to pull off. Thunder is the best anti-zoner move I've ever seen, if they stand still to throw out a strong laggy projectile you can always drop a Thunder on their heads, it forces them to move and saves you from getting pinned down too badly.

Did you watch the Final Round matches earlier? Knowing about Pikachu's Thunder would have saved whoever was playing him from GO1 domination.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Reiley posted:

Gengar's Grab Game

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Do you really believe this was going to work. Captain obvious strikes again. I obviously don't know what song it is riffing off the top of my head, hence the question.

It's ~A Thing~ that youtuber does, honestly it's kind of aggravating b/c it pollutes the youtube searches for the particular songs he does it to, so if you don't already know that it's a gag account you get some weird bullshit instead :v:

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question for Lucha Chu's

1: How do you close the gap effectively with her in both phases? I'm /ok/ when I get in but her walk speed is abysmal in Dual Phase and nothing other then the easy-to-see coming dive kick really closes the distance fast enough.

2: Sometimes in her Y Y Y combo her fist becomes blue and you can do a lot of other poo poo after it. Problem I'm having is the instructions say "carefully time the presses" and I'm pretty sure the game is lying to me and it's random because i can push it the exact same and sometimes get it to come out and other times it's just the normal yellow one. This one is super frustrating and if anyone can clear it up that would be nice.

Y Y Y blue is a just frame you get from pressing y twice then y as soon as it hits the target.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MewTwo is extremely my jam.

The netcode for this game is goddamn magical.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ran into another Libre

First Round I nearly got perfected, second round I returned the favor, third round was a slobberknocker of stunners and flying kicks. He uses his burst and whiffs and I catch him with mine for the win.

Jesus christ this game is good

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Hi, new to the thread.
Machamp sucks right? He gets zoned harder in duel phase than in the actual zoning phase?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Emalde posted:

It's ~A Thing~ that youtuber does, honestly it's kind of aggravating b/c it pollutes the youtube searches for the particular songs he does it to, so if you don't already know that it's a gag account you get some weird bullshit instead :v:

Thanks bud. Makes more sense now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Gorp posted:

Hi, new to the thread.
Machamp sucks right? He gets zoned harder in duel phase than in the actual zoning phase?

Machamp actually does pretty well but requires you to really know the triangle. I believe he has the most HP and he's supposed to use it to run in and kill everything in like 3 hits. He's scary as all hell when he gets in and forces me to try and play more carefully then usual because if he touches me it's over.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

LemonAIDS posted:

I like espeon for chendelure support. The debuff removal lets me use overheat without the debuffs after every once in a while. Though i suppose eevee would have basically the same result if you use it after the buff.

I think it might end up being more valuable to support Chandelure with assists that cause debuffs other than attack or defense down. Having two debuffs on the opponent in duel phase is the ideal situation for Chandelure to be in, so having another way of inflicting status is strong for him, especially if you can come up with a combo that lets you inflict two debuffs and also doesn't leave duel phase so you have time to threaten them with Hex/punish their attempts to avoid Hex.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Playing Garchomp, I found out you really need to charge his special move at all times as a get out of jail free card. When you let go, it almost immediately launches you diagonally into your opponent and behind them, with enough distance that if they block it, they can't react in time if you dash back.

It's a fantastic way to make Garchomp, which honestly feels like the slowest character sometimes, not punish you for doing risky reads. I love it.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Started off with Braixen because fabulous. Got bodied by people online and switched to machamp who sits firmly at the other end of the scale and it turns out that manliness is extremely my jam.
Went up against a chandelure with 80 something wins and beat him with my hour old machamp.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/Cross_Ultimate/status/711795210779561984

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Maybe I should buy this game

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ruggington posted:

Maybe I should buy this game

I keep wanting to buy this loving game but only thing holding me back is the versus play issue.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Versus is fine, assuming you have a pro controller. It's not ideal, but it's fine.

Chandelure is super weird and totally my jam. I think I'd like other characters but I love this dumb candle too much to properly try them.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Truspeaker posted:

Versus is fine, assuming you have a pro controller. It's not ideal, but it's fine.

I do have a pro controller, however I do not have a second wii U. Playing with 1 wii U and someone playing with the frame rate cut in half at a lower resolution while looking at the tablet isn't too appealing. A drat shame because this seems like a fun little casual fighter I could actually get a lot of people interested in locally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Treehouse is loving us again!

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Treehouse is loving us again!

I wish they would stop quoting me

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Good thing people don't play Pokemon games for the dialogue.

e: reminded me of this gem

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I only stopped to listen to voiced lines because lmao everyone is gargling marbles.

Award goes to Walter though. I'm pretty sure he sent the studio like 500 files and they were all just one word a piece. His reading of [SHADOW SYNERGY STONE] is the exact same every time he says it and it's the only logical thing I can think of to explain it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Walter is a bad Christopher Walken impression. Once you accept this, he's quite enjoyable. He emphasizes the weirdest syllables.

The voice acting in this game is the most amateurish I think I've heard in ages.

Also, this game is great. Like, truly great. Every battle is worth the effort till the end. I love it.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 21, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Some random things:

Chandelure:

- I mentioned before that some assists can be used to let Chandelure land two debuffs in one combo. An example of this is Rotom, where you can do something like:

(up+X or midair up+X or midair charged up+X), call Rotom, up+Y, pause, Y cancel f+A

- In general, ending combos in the f+A smoke move seems to be the best option unless you're gonna kill with something that hits harder. Plenty of Rotom's juggle starters let you do that easily enough though:

(midair X or midair up+X), YYY combo
(midair charged up+X or counterhit midair A) up+Y, pause, Y cancel f+A
up+X, b+YY cancel f+A

You can sub in super instead of f+A if you have burst active. Also that second combo might work off midair X, I can't remember at the moment.

- up+X cancels into the chandelier swing but nothing seems to combo after even on counterhit. It's still something to know about I guess. The chandelier swing is really cool though since it's Chandelure's fastest movement by far and lets him swing over projectiles and go for midair X in field mode or swing into midair YY range in duel mode.

Garchomp:

- I tested a lot of damage values into super off of fff+X specifically and what I found was that fff+X straight into super seemed to be more damaging than doing literally anything else. Without super, fff+X into b+Y, b+Y, f+YY was the best damage. The f+YY is sometimes hard to get after two b+Y in the combo though so you can drop one of the b+Y and not lose much in the way of damage.

- Canceling duel mode d+A with the block button goes directly into Running Stance, but I don't remember if it lets you continue running past a short distance or not. Still, it's a pretty fast way to get an fff+X or fff+YY out.

Braixen:

- If you did Combo Dojo with Braixen you already know that Farfetch'd assist can help her out both in terms of damage and in letting her land certain important specials that go into Sunny Day for her unique powerup state. It really ups the threat on landing most of her faster moves, including X, midair X, d+X, d+Y, and b+X. In several of these cases, the combo will Phase Shift at the end, so stray hits before it will cause it to drop, just as a thing to keep in mind:

(midair X), X ~ Farfetch'd, midair X, f+Y, d+Y cancel u+A,B
d+X ~ Farfetch'd, dash, midair X, f+Y, d+Y cancel u+A,B
(d+Y or b+X) ~ Farfetch.d, dash dash b+Y, YYY cancel u+A,B

The timing and spacing on the midair X juggles off Farfetch'd are somewhat character specific, so it'll be worthwhile to practice it especially on small characters (Pikachu) and weird shaped characters (Suicune for sure). In the first combo, I also messed around with charging the midair X, which seemed to work on characters where the Farfetch'd assist would definitely hit all three times, but I was having consistency issues with it. Also in all these combos, ending in super does barely any more damage so it would only be worthwhile if you really needed the Sunny Day x2 charge status up.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
figured i'd share what i've tried with blaziken

one of blazikens combos is X > Up + Y > Y (Hold) > Airdash (R) > Airkicks (Y) > -> + A; its a decent combo that deals about 200 damage, and if you get a wall bounce with it you can end it with Sky Uppercut (^ + A). The problem is its start-up (X) relies on you being right up in their face, and the startup for it is kind of slow...

his bnb is probably his triple Y into blaze kicks since the startups are so quick on it

You can also just double Hi Jump Kick for 180 damage; if you hold the first one and empower it, it ground bounces and lets you follow up with another...but boy do you have to aim it because that recoil damage is no joke.

I'm still trying to find a good way to combo into Burst, but even if you miss it and hit shields you still get the speed up buff, so if you can force it into field phase somehow you move at mach 10, most people aren't expecting you to move that quickly. If you land a wallbounce you can burst into it and it will hit.

I'm liking Electrode assist for pokemon like Machamp and Sceptile, because they have to be in close range to do much and will trigger a counter more easily, but I want to try out Diglett/Cubone more to pull in/disrupt long range fighters

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 21, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I've been playing Mewtwo and there's two things I'm not too sure about.

When you knock somebody from duel to field phase and use a hyper beam immediately as they land, is there anything they can do to outright avoid it? Anybody I try it on either blocks or just gets hit by it, both of which do a massive amount of damage. Often shifting into duel phase again, where you can usually use again hyperbeam if you knocked them into a wall and back into field phase.

Secondly, you can block cancel Mewtwo's field backwards ranged attack (the fire spin thing) into a second one, then into a hyper beam. After you get hit by the first one, is there anything you can even do? Once again, everybody I've played who gets hit by it just keeps getting hit by it afterwards, so I'm led to believe there's nothing they can do but lose about 1/3rd of their health at that point.

I do have to say, if you genuinely can't escape from fire spin and you can just use hyper beam over and over again when you knock a Pokemon out, it's a pretty accurate representation of Gen I.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 21, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Canadian posted:

I do have a pro controller, however I do not have a second wii U. Playing with 1 wii U and someone playing with the frame rate cut in half at a lower resolution while looking at the tablet isn't too appealing. A drat shame because this seems like a fun little casual fighter I could actually get a lot of people interested in locally.

I played a lot of local multiplayer the other day on the Wii U gamepad, I can confirm that it works perfectly fine, so it really isn't a big deal.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

From a video I watched, Emolga is a very good partner for Machamp in the field phase, because you can combo its hits into a Bulk Up boosted Cross Chop to get in on someone from a decent range, and it lowers their speed for the Dual Phase right afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mabels big day posted:

From a video I watched, Emolga is a very good partner for Machamp in the field phase, because you can combo its hits into a Bulk Up boosted Cross Chop to get in on someone from a decent range, and it lowers their speed for the Dual Phase right afterwards.

This happened to me when I played Chandelure and it loving SUCKED

Bulk Up Boosted Cross Chop hurts like hell

e: unrelated but if there was ever a reason to get a capture card and make videos, this was it, because drat this game is fun as hell

• Locked thread