Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

SaltLick posted:

3 years of salary history? Why does that even matter one bit?

The more detailed ones are usually from Mortgage companies instead of prospective employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

Why should they trust you? Demanding a copy of a competing offer letter is so far out of the professional norm that it makes you sound like a loon.
I disagree. If someone brings it up, asking for proof is acceptable. And you shouldn't trust me. If you interview with me, you should ask for everything in writing. I won't be offended if you do.

From my perspective, I need justification to get additional budget for the hire approved. An offer letter from a competitor for a person who we wanted to hire would be the perfect justification that our initial budget for the hire was too low. I've done this before, and it's not a big deal.

Scenario 1:
Potential hire: "I have a competing offer that I'm prepared to accept."
Me: "Great! Can we match it? I'll need a copy of the offer to take to my leadership so we can beat it."
Potential hire: "Sure, here's the e-mail!"
Me: "I can't make any promises, but I'll go to bat for you!"

Scenario 2:
Me: "Great! Can we match it? I'll need a copy of the offer to take to my leadership so we can beat it."
Potential hire: "No."
Me: "Um, ok. We'll be in touch."

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Do NOT lie about your current salary.

I do 5 or 6 Verification of Employments a week in my role. The most basic ones list what the applicant listed and ask if it is correct, but the more detailed ones look for 3 years of salary history broken down by reg/OT/bonus. I've had to send a lot back because of lies.

This sounds like an unemployment counselor or something and doesn't seem relevant.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

swenblack posted:

I disagree. If someone brings it up, asking for proof is acceptable. And you shouldn't trust me. If you interview with me, you should ask for everything in writing. I won't be offended if you do.

From my perspective, I need justification to get additional budget for the hire approved. An offer letter from a competitor for a person who we wanted to hire would be the perfect justification that our initial budget for the hire was too low. I've done this before, and it's not a big deal.

Scenario 1:
Potential hire: "Sure, here's the e-mail!"
Me: "I can't make any promises, but I'll go to bat for you!"

Scenario 2:
Potential hire: "No."
Me: "Um, ok. We'll be in touch."

This seems like a reasonable thing to me.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
It's a standard part of the background check process for new hires to verify your claims re: past employment. Former employers will get questionnaires asking to confirm that you worked there and what your salary was. You will usually agree in advance that your potential new employer can do this as part of signing the offer. Lying now is a terrible idea.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

anne frank fanfic posted:

This sounds like an unemployment counselor or something and doesn't seem relevant.

I'm the payroll person in my companies HR department. It's plenty relevant.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

The financial specifics of another offer are still not information I'd be giving out 'for free' unless you don't have a choice or if your first-choice job is matching the second-choice offer. Just like how I wouldn't choose to reveal my current salary unless it's a show stopper not to, it's none of their business.

Even though I agree many companies and HMs do not interview 100% ethically I would not recommend outright lying about current salary. I think some puffery about total compensation, value of benefits, etc is acceptable if you're clear it's total comp. TC is a better measure than cash comp anyway.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah there's no reason to lay a competing offer on the table in detail most of the time. Swenblack's approach is a bit more aggressive on that than many companies in my experience.

The most important part about a competing offer is having it in hand so you can have the confidence to ask for what you think you're worth. If someone like swenblack asked me for a copy of the competing offer I'd say no 99% of the time. You can just put it back to them that "I have a competing offer and I've told you what I'd need from you to join your company in light of that offer. I don't think it would be appropriate to share the details of that offer, just as you would expect me not to show a third party your offer. I will need to have a final decision on the competing offer by (date), so I'd appreciate if you could put your best foot forward as soon as you can do I'm able to fairly consider your offer in light of my other options. I can tell you that if you meet the terms as I've outlined them I'd be ready to sign on the spot. Thanks for your consideration"

Or something to that effect

Has the benefit of giving them a clear line to jump over, showing your confidence, not lying, and giving a clear path / timeline to ending discussions or if the company doesn't meet your terms. Downside is a subset of companies with hard salary budgets and a hiring manager who doesn't want to rock the boat may just say no, but that's a risk with any situation where you're pushing for extra salary, particularly with a larger company.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

kloa posted:

Speaking of IP and such, does a company have grounds to go after you if you never signed any kind of waiver or something?

I've built multiple things here (as a DBA), and thus never signed any traditional agreement that I wouldn't build a competitor product in the future.

Curious minds want to know!
That's a really complex question that even lawyers won't answer unless you pay them a large sum of money.

If a company is so unsophisticated (in regard to legal stuff) as to not have any non-competes in place, I would wager that would be equally as unsophisticated when it came to protecting IP. I would not be willing to risk my career to test this hypothesis, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah there's no reason to lay a competing offer on the table in detail most of the time. Swenblack's approach is a bit more aggressive on that than many companies in my experience.

The most important part about a competing offer is having it in hand so you can have the confidence to ask for what you think you're worth. If someone like swenblack asked me for a copy of the competing offer I'd say no 99% of the time. You can just put it back to them that "I have a competing offer and I've told you what I'd need from you to join your company in light of that offer. I don't think it would be appropriate to share the details of that offer, just as you would expect me not to show a third party your offer. I will need to have a final decision on the competing offer by (date), so I'd appreciate if you could put your best foot forward as soon as you can do I'm able to fairly consider your offer in light of my other options. I can tell you that if you meet the terms as I've outlined them I'd be ready to sign on the spot. Thanks for your consideration"

Or something to that effect

Has the benefit of giving them a clear line to jump over, showing your confidence, not lying, and giving a clear path / timeline to ending discussions or if the company doesn't meet your terms. Downside is a subset of companies with hard salary budgets and a hiring manager who doesn't want to rock the boat may just say no, but that's a risk with any situation where you're pushing for extra salary, particularly with a larger company.
I could go either way with this one. We advocate putting off salary discussion until the end of the process. If you've already convinced the hiring manager that you're the best candidate and she wants you on her team, then by giving a copy of the offer to her, you're giving her a tool to use on the people who set her budget.

I would definitely agree with you otherwise. Keep your cards (offers) close to your chest unless it's useful to play them. If you disclose too early, you've just anchored at your BATNA, which is a bad thing.

As for lying, don't do it. Everyone has tells. And some people are very hard to bullshit.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 21, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

This is a good write-up regarding raises from the management perspective: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4bds4v/negotiating_a_promotionraise_from_the_lens_of_a/

I think one really good point in here is about just chasing the cash. I'm in a position where I came in one level above where maybe I should have after negotiating my position and salary. Still I feel like I'm outperforming my peers that are at the same level as me and probably even some another level up. I know I could get a parallel position for about 5-10k more and that was basically my plan around the year mark (if they didn't match). Now I'm reevaluating that thought and will maybe be willing to hold out for a more senior title along with the extra $$.

Related question. Let's say there's 5 levels. Based on my previous experience it could have been argued that I come in at level 1. I made my case for coming in at level 2 and it worked. While I didn't come in at the absolute floor of the salary for level 2, I'm pretty close to it. I feel like I'm performing at the top of level 2 or bottom of level 3 which is about a 20k-30k difference in salary. I'm half way through my first year now, what should I be doing? Should I start discussing this now? Try to get an unscheduled raise? Try to get a large bump come year end? Take a lateral title but vertical salary position elsewhere after a year? I'm feeling like I've already used a bunch of "goodwill" right in the beginning. The person that would have to go to bat for me made it clear that he went to bat for me in the beginning to place me where I am. I'm trying to walk the fine line of not expecting too much and expecting a bunch more.

Tots fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 22, 2016

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

If you're only 6 months in and you already got to skip the entry level job it's probably a bridge too far to ask for an off cycle raise before your first year. Be patient and if they don't adjust at one year then you can start thinking about how to re-set. You're not credibly going to be in a position to threaten to leave either based on my assumption about your experience.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

If you're only 6 months in and you already got to skip the entry level job it's probably a bridge too far to ask for an off cycle raise before your first year. Be patient and if they don't adjust at one year then you can start thinking about how to re-set. You're not credibly going to be in a position to threaten to leave either based on my assumption about your experience.

I'm 95% sure I could make a lateral move for ~7k more.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Tots posted:

Either you have an offer in hand or you're over confident in this belief.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Either you have an offer in hand or you're over confident in this belief.

So for the purposes of addressing the question, assume I have an offer in hand and I'm asking for advice.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Tots posted:

So for the purposes of addressing the question, assume I have an offer in hand and I'm asking for advice.

No.

There's actual work to be done in getting a competing offer, and that work has value. I'm not going to participate in your fiction that you get the value without doing the work.

The TWO values you get out of doing the work are:

1) You find out information; this information will either confirm or disconfirm your hypothesis that you're worth more than you're presently making. Sometimes when you go out and interview and get offers the result is that everyone offers you approximately what you make right now. This is humbling and it changes your perspective and shows you that you are not in a strong negotiating position.

2) You get leverage. Now when you say "I am worth more, and I think you should pay me more." you can back up that belief with something more than your own sense of self confidence. Your sense of self confidence is not grounded in the reality of a competing offer or market research, so it is worthless apart from however much you can bluster it into.

You said yourself that you already expended political capital to get where you are. That means you need for real hard leverage to get any further, which means that you have a competing offer in hand, which means you did the work to go out and interview with other companies to get that offer instead of sitting around making up a number of how confident you are you could get one.

So here is my advice: Go out and get other offers if you want to talk about more compensation with your present job.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

About me (and I will answer any questions you have that don't put me in a weird spot):

15 years of medical device sales, three of them as a manager overseeing the sales force of the Northeastern US. I have done negotiations and deals with the government, major institutions (Health Care Systems, buying groups, Harvard, Sloan Kettering, Columbia, Duke, etc.), all the way down to single doctor practice.

As a manager, one of my duties is interviewing for territories that need to be back-filled, so I am experienced on both sides of the table when it comes to interviewing.

Negotiating is my life, so feel free to ask any questions if you like.

One thing I noticed, and maybe because it is particular to sales: I ask anyone interviewing for a job with me how much they make, why they are leaving, etc. This job is about making money, and I want to know your backstory, and whether or not I can trust that you have the skill and work-ethic for me to offer you a job that pays well.

As a matter of fact, one of my standard questions that I ask of all candidates is "If you got a $50k commission check for x month, what would you do with it?"

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 22, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

No.

There's actual work to be done in getting a competing offer, and that work has value. I'm not going to participate in your fiction that you get the value without doing the work.

The TWO values you get out of doing the work are:

1) You find out information; this information will either confirm or disconfirm your hypothesis that you're worth more than you're presently making. Sometimes when you go out and interview and get offers the result is that everyone offers you approximately what you make right now. This is humbling and it changes your perspective and shows you that you are not in a strong negotiating position.

2) You get leverage. Now when you say "I am worth more, and I think you should pay me more." you can back up that belief with something more than your own sense of self confidence. Your sense of self confidence is not grounded in the reality of a competing offer or market research, so it is worthless apart from however much you can bluster it into.

You said yourself that you already expended political capital to get where you are. That means you need for real hard leverage to get any further, which means that you have a competing offer in hand, which means you did the work to go out and interview with other companies to get that offer instead of sitting around making up a number of how confident you are you could get one.

So here is my advice: Go out and get other offers if you want to talk about more compensation with your present job.

I agree with all of that, but you missed the mark of my question by a bit. I've started to do the work to look for other offers sitting at the 6 month mark and I fully expect it to teach me something. It will either teach me that my market value is more or it's not. I know it can go either way, but from the initial leg work that I've done in talking to peers and recruiters, it seems very likely that my market value is indeed higher. My question is then, if my market value is higher by about 5-10k is it worth taking a lateral position purely for cash or should I hold out for cash and title (taking everything in my initial post into consideration)?

You're assuming that I think I can pull leverage out of thin air. I know this isn't the case and wouldn't consider asking for an adjustment to compensation without an offer in hand. My question is, if and when I have an offer for something lateral, is it worth pursuing?

Tots fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 22, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Tots posted:

I agree with all of that, but you missed the mark of my question by a bit. I've started to do the work to look for other offers sitting at the 6 month mark and I fully expect it to teach me something. It will either teach me that my market value is more or it's not. I know it can go either way, but from the initial leg work that I've done in talking to peers and recruiters, it seems very likely that my market value is indeed higher. My question is then, if my market value is higher by about 5-10k is it worth taking a lateral position purely for cash or should I hold out for cash and title (taking everything in my initial post into consideration)?

You're assuming that I think I can pull leverage out of thin air. I know this isn't the case and wouldn't consider asking for an adjustment to compensation without an offer in hand. My question is, if and when I have an offer for something lateral, is it worth pursuing?

If this is your first job then odds are you're undercompensated because you were an unknown quantity. Hopping jobs after only about a year in your profession shouldn't be a black mark, but you ought to be ready to hang out wherever you land for a bit if you do make a lateral jump.

If you can demonstrate yourself to be well and truly "Grade 3" after only 6 months, then you should target making that leap, and if you can, get an offer for that position in writing around the time that your work is reviewed. You can then make the case to your current manager that you merit a promotion using both the information your firm has as well as that offer letter, and this would be one of those cases where showing some of your hand would be advantageous in terms of giving your manager the leverage to get your promotion.

Net: If you can make a significantly appealing, for you, lateral move, then go ahead and use that as a point of leverage. But if it's not the kind of thing you'd be happy coasting at without progress for a year or two, you might want to hold out for a promotion, either internally or by switching firms.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Do you think it would be prudent to seek out offers now or wait until I'm closer to the year mark? Either way I'm likely going to wait until my first performance review for a raise. If I say "I got an offer for 10k more 6 months ago" will anyone give a poo poo?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tots posted:

If I say "I got an offer for 10k more 6 months ago" will anyone give a poo poo?

Not in the way that you'd hope, because they'll basically roll their eyes and ask why you didn't take it. Further, that puts a target on your back, since you've indicated that you're a flight risk. You can seek offers anytime so long as they're still applicable at the time of negotiation, but you'll likely have a hard time getting offers if you tell the other companies that you wouldn't be able to give them an answer for another 6 months.

Wait it out, start collecting offers as the review date gets close, see if you get the kind of review you want, and play your hand then.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah you don't really want to sit on offers for long. If you're willing to stay at your company, you get the offer, then you take it to them and tell them that you're prepared to accept it.

If this is way ahead of your review, sometimes they will say something like "we'll give you X raise in a few months when your annual review comes up." This is what happened for me.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Tots posted:

Cool, but leaving a job after 6 months is something you'll have to explain to employers for the next 5 years. If you're as good as you say and enjoy your job then just continue to kick rear end and you will be really well positioned at 12 months for a real salary discussion.

Seconding dwight's point as well. You've gone about as far as you're going to go on goodwill in the absence of demonstrating capability. If you have an offer in hand then you need to decide if it's worth your 'once per employer' opportunity to use an outside offer to bump your pay 6 months into a job that you've already acknowledged they had to stretch to offer you, or to just be happy in the job you're in for 12 months and focus on being good at the job you're in to set up for a healthy raise on a more normal cycle.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

If this is way ahead of your review, sometimes they will say something like "we'll give you X raise in a few months when your annual review comes up." This is what happened for me.
If you do this get it in writing. Do not stick around without written confirmation.

If they fail to deliver on what they owe you, accept nothing less, and move on gracefully ASAP. This is what happened to me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

If someone on my team came to me 6 months into their first job ever with a job offer hand demanding more money, I'd tell them to take it and most likely let them go on the spot. It takes at least that long to get up to speed at my job. If they're already shopping offers, they'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Tots posted:

Do you think it would be prudent to seek out offers now or wait until I'm closer to the year mark? Either way I'm likely going to wait until my first performance review for a raise. If I say "I got an offer for 10k more 6 months ago" will anyone give a poo poo?

This will be a bit of a read, but hopefully it helps.

I wouldn't jump to another company for a lateral move unless I knew there was advancement potential, and that the potential didn't exist at my current employer. I was offered jobs with massive increases in base salary and possibly more money in commission, but I knew that I was liked in the company, and that if I stuck with it, that my career path here would be solid. If you're good at what you do, have potential, and most importantly, the important people at your company see that potential and will eventually promote you, it's often prudent to stick it out.

My GF jumped companies to another one because her friend worked there and her friend said there was room for advancement, but didn't know what she was talking about. My GF was well-liked at her previous employer, and there weren't any immediate routes to promotion, so she jumped ship against my advice. When she got to the next employer, she ended up clashing with other people there because she did her job too well, and was making them have to work harder, as she was spotting errors in their numbers (she's a risk analyst). Pretty soon, she was on a performance plan, even though she had just gotten commendations and awards for her work. She was then in a race to find a new job before they pulled the trigger on her and let her go over BS reasons. She found a new job and is basically making the same, but it isn't as good as her old job where everyone loved her and she enjoyed it.

My career path looked like this:

Graduated college
Sold Yellow Pages for one year, then got into medical sales since it was an obvious advancement, and where I wanted to be
Worked at medical device company for 2.5 years and then jumped to a different company because the opportunity to make good money wasn't there where I was
Worked at next company for two years and made a poo poo ton of cash, but they hacked the pay plan so that I would only make half of what I was making
Went to next company, which looked good, but ended up being shady as gently caress and left after 1.5 years
Went to next company and made good bank, but our product was discontinued and we all got laid off (2 years)
Luckily, had a good name in the industry and got picked up at current company after only five weeks of being unemployed. Have been here over six years, with two promotions.

During the time I've been here, I had many great offers from other places, but I performed well, became a top player, and was tight with one of the VPs. I knew that he was going places and I hitched my wagon to his. Six years later, he's the CEO and I'm one of the "inner circle." I still get good offers from other companies to be VP of Sales, etc., but as this company continues to grow, I've been here for a long time, and I'm one of the people they don't want to lose, and I have a good position. I also know that as things grow, I will be on track to more promotions if I stick it out, as there is a loyalty that's been built over the years, and they know that I always deliver.

Moral of the story for me was that I made moves when I knew I had hit a ceiling or I had to move, but I've always played the long game, and I knew when to stick it out. I'm willing to make less money now if I know, or at least have a good intuition, that there will be a bigger payoff later.

I've never asked for a raise from my current employers, as I'm compensated well, and they actually give me raises and bonuses proactively to retain me. I've let my boss know in passing at times that other companies were angling for me, but never in a fashion that made it seem that I was gunning for a raise. I said it in a matter-of-fact way, and they reached out to me because I've established my value to the company. Ask for a raise if you're sure they want you or need you, but if you're easily replaceable, you're just telegraphing the fact that you're not content, and then I'd worry that they will start looking for someone else who will be happy to do your job at the current pay or less. There are certain reps of mine, who, if they came to me for a raise, I would have to let my boss know that we had an issue and that we had to make them happy because they're too important to lose. The other reps? I would assume that, mentally, they may already be checked out and looking, and I would start calling recruiters to have a back-fill at the ready. Of course, we don't do raises in sales, generally, as a good rep will be making good money any way, and they make what they're worth. For us, it's more about making sure that the pay plan is good enough that good reps won't want to leave, and doing fun contests like giving away a nice car or expensive watch, etc. The only people who generally leave here are under-performers, and really, I like when they leave as it saves me the tedious process of having to fire them.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 22, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Count Freebasie posted:

This will be a bit of a read, but hopefully it helps.

I wouldn't jump to another company for a lateral move unless I knew there was advancement potential, and that the potential didn't exist at my current employer. I was offered jobs with massive increases in base salary and possibly more money in commission, but I knew that I was liked in the company, and that if I stuck with it, that my career path here would be solid. If you're good at what you do, have potential, and most importantly, the important people at your company see that potential and will eventually promote you, it's often prudent to stick it out.

My GF jumped companies to another one because her friend worked there and her friend said there was room for advancement, but didn't know what she was talking about. My GF was well-liked at her previous employer, and there weren't any immediate routes to promotion, so she jumped ship against my advice. When she got to the next employer, she ended up clashing with other people there because she did her job too well, and was making them have to work harder, as she was spotting errors in their numbers (she's a risk analyst). Pretty soon, she was on a performance plan, even though she had just gotten commendations and awards for her work. She was then in a race to find a new job before they pulled the trigger on her and let her go over BS reasons. She found a new job and is basically making the same, but it isn't as good as her old job where everyone loved her and she enjoyed it.

My career path looked like this:

Graduated college
Sold Yellow Pages for one year, then got into medical sales since it was an obvious advancement, and where I wanted to be
Worked at medical device company for 2.5 years and then jumped to a different company because the opportunity to make good money wasn't there where I was
Worked at next company for two years and made a poo poo ton of cash, but they hacked the pay plan so that I would only make half of what I was making
Went to next company, which looked good, but ended up being shady as gently caress and left after 1.5 years
Went to next company and made good bank, but our product was discontinued and we all got laid off (2 years)
Luckily, had a good name in the industry and got picked up at current company after only five weeks of being unemployed. Have been here over six years, with two promotions.

During the time I've been here, I had many great offers from other places, but I performed well, became a top player, and was tight with one of the VPs. I knew that he was going places and I hitched my wagon to his. Six years later, he's the CEO and I'm one of the "inner circle." I still get good offers from other companies to be VP of Sales, etc., but as this company continues to grow, I've been here for a long time, and I'm one of the people they don't want to lose, and I have a good position. I also know that as things grow, I will be on track to more promotions if I stick it out, as there is a loyalty that's been built over the years, and they know that I always deliver.

Moral of the story for me was that I made moves when I knew I had hit a ceiling or I had to move, but I've always played the long game, and I knew when to stick it out. I'm willing to make less money now if I know, or at least have a good intuition, that there will be a bigger payoff later.

I've never asked for a raise from my current employers, as I'm compensated well, and they actually give me raises and bonuses proactively to retain me. I've let my boss know in passing at times that other companies were angling for me, but never in a fashion that made it seem that I was gunning for a raise. I said it in a matter-of-fact way, and they reached out to me because I've established my value to the company. Ask for a raise if you're sure they want you or need you, but if you're easily replaceable, you're just telegraphing the fact that you're not content, and then I'd worry that they will start looking for someone else who will be happy to do your job at the current pay or less. There are certain reps of mine, who, if they came to me for a raise, I would have to let my boss know that we had an issue and that we had to make them happy because they're too important to lose. The other reps? I would assume that, mentally, they may already be checked out and looking, and I would start calling recruiters to have a back-fill at the ready. Of course, we don't do raises in sales, generally, as a good rep will be making good money any way, and they make what they're worth. For us, it's more about making sure that the pay plan is good enough that good reps won't want to leave, and doing fun contests like giving away a nice car or expensive watch, etc. The only people who generally leave here are under-performers, and really, I like when they leave as it saves me the tedious process of having to fire them.
I work in a bit of a different world but yah I think a lot of that applies and is really good advice. I should say that I have no reason to want to leave (aside from potentially compensation). I'm treated well, well liked, and the path to advancement is literally spelled out for you completely. Regardless of all that though, I still want to position myself as well as I possibly can. The perk to having the advancement path readily available and advertised is that I know I'm performing at the base of the next level already. I also know that I'm at the bottom of the salary range for my current level. I want to close that gap as much as possible without setting off alarms or burning bridges. I guess the best way to do it would be to bring it up after a year and they'll either take me seriously or they won't.

Dik Hz posted:

If someone on my team came to me 6 months into their first job ever with a job offer hand demanding more money, I'd tell them to take it and most likely let them go on the spot. It takes at least that long to get up to speed at my job. If they're already shopping offers, they'll be gone sooner rather than later.
I think that's a very fair position to have and it's what leaves me reluctant to be looking too hard at interviewing elsewhere to gauge my market value just yet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tots... Have you even talked to your manager at all? Do you have monthly 1 on 1's and is he agreeing with your amazing performance? If your manager is good, which it sounds to me like he is as you started higher up then you should have, he will get it come review time. You need to have those talks, plant the seeds, take on the hard project. You can then go in before the review and say it has been a great year, I really performed, I am currently here in the pay grade and I think I deserve to be up here. That actually does work. Companies reward people who they want to keep and value.

It happened just like that for me. I was making $59k and took a lateral in another state for $72 (with lots of room for growth). Kicked rear end and got a big raise year 1 (was at the bottom of the grade and clearly was at the top of performance and my boss agreed), kicked rear end promotion and bigger raise year 2, year three... Kicked rear end with a good raise, year 4 super kicked rear end and right now I make $108k. Granted I work at a great place and wanted to work hard and move up.

I would be putting your energy into your current job since there is a lot of potential there, unless you hate all the people then leave.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
One thing you could do is arrange a quick chat with your boss regarding your performance - this wouldn't be for any compensation review, just genuine performance feedback. Ask about things like what's been working well, how you can improve, etc from their perspective. If everything is going genuinely well or above-and-beyond, you can be sure of that going forward into the proper yearly official review, and can cite it when you *do* talk about compensation later. If it isn't going as well as you think, you have something (hopefully) specific to improve at, and you can point out that improvement at the official review. I think it's a pretty good thing to do once in awhile even if your compensation is fine, especially at companies that only do reviews once per year.

edit: good timing, dude above me

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I talk at least every other week with the person who is responsible for my financial well-being, but it also happens that this person is completely disconnected from my day today work which is how most of the firm is organized. My performance review is based on feedback that I solicit year round and that he solicits come review time. I try to plant seeds regularly by way of communicating the projects that I am taking on that are above my current level, so I believe I'm hitting all the basic points here.

E: I ask him pretty regularly if I can be doing anything else to improve my position and his advice is to stay the course. I think around maybe month 9 I'll try to get a little more to the point and say "hey I know I came in at the bottom of this pay grade and based on x y z I am performing at the top of this pay grade. Is there anything else I can do on my end towards closing this gap?"

E: And just to be clear, I don't have self-aggrandizing beliefs about my abilities. The performance expectations are very clearly defined and I can demonstrate clearly to him that I am performing at the base of the next level.

Tots fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 23, 2016

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One thing you could do is arrange a quick chat with your boss regarding your performance - this wouldn't be for any compensation review, just genuine performance feedback. Ask about things like what's been working well, how you can improve, etc from their perspective. If everything is going genuinely well or above-and-beyond, you can be sure of that going forward into the proper yearly official review, and can cite it when you *do* talk about compensation later. If it isn't going as well as you think, you have something (hopefully) specific to improve at, and you can point out that improvement at the official review. I think it's a pretty good thing to do once in awhile even if your compensation is fine, especially at companies that only do reviews once per year.

This is a good idea, and I would also mention that you want to make yourself the best that you can be, and ask what changes he/she would suggest for improvement because you like the company and want to grow with it. Let them know you plan on sticking around and you have the desire to move up through the ranks. If a person is too new and they're telling me they're gunning for management opportunity, that can be a turn-off if they haven't already proven themselves at their position. But, if a person is good, and they have made it clear that they want to stay here and move up through the ranks, and I think they have the potential, I will start them on that path. I have two reps that I have been delegating some semi-management duties to and I am grooming them for advancement. A little mantra that we have in our executive circle is "always be grooming your successor." This way it ensures my good talent stays with us, and if I get promoted, my back-fill, whom I've already groomed, is right there.

It's good to show you have ambition; it's just a matter of timing it right and saying it in the right way. All of the people who've been here that I've reported to knew that I planned to keep moving up in the company, and I made sure that I became a valuable asset, if not a necessary asset, to them. If your boss is a decent one, they'll know what to do. And as they rise, you will, as well -- as long as you're playing your cards correctly.

Tots posted:

I talk at least every other week with the person who is responsible for my financial well-being, but it also happens that this person is completely disconnected from my day today work which is how most of the firm is organized. My performance review is based on feedback that I solicit year round and that he solicits come review time. I try to plant seeds regularly by way of communicating the projects that I am taking on that are above my current level, so I believe I'm hitting all the basic points here.

E: I ask him pretty regularly if I can be doing anything else to improve my position and his advice is to stay the course. I think around maybe month 9 I'll try to get a little more to the point and say "hey I know I came in at the bottom of this pay grade and based on x y z I am performing at the top of this pay grade. Is there anything else I can do on my end towards closing this gap?"

E: And just to be clear, I don't have self-aggrandizing beliefs about my abilities. The performance expectations are very clearly defined and I can demonstrate clearly to him that I am performing at the base of the next level.

Is this person the one who would be able to promote you? If not, find out who pulls the strings and discretely make sure that they know you are going above and beyond and exceeding expectations. If your direct superior is disconnected from you and they are the one who can move you up, then you should either look for a better opportunity, find the person in the company who will notice your value AND has the ability to help you move up, or build experience until you can get a better job.

All of my promotions were through identifying those who I knew were destined to move up in the ranks and demonstrating my value to them. I became personal friends with them as well as being a colleague, but I know that you need to hitch your wagon to a rising star. Even if it's not your direct superior, connect with the power players and show them your value. If your direct superior doesn't recognize your value, hopefully, they will. I transferred between two divisions in the company, because when one of my bosses transferred, he knew that I would be a rockstar for him, and he took me with him. When he left to head up another division, one of my colleagues who was a manager in a different division became a VP and needed a backfill, which was me, because he knew I was crushing it in the other division AND we were friends.

Ability to do the job is important, but promotions are also about politics. Surround yourself with powerful people or those who you think will be powerful. As cliche as it sounds, often times it really does matter "who you know." In companies I worked for where I knew my boss had no upward mobility and would be threatened by anyone who could possibly replace him, I knew to move on to better pastures. I avoided big companies and tended to work for "smaller" (meaning not $billion+) companies where I would be noticed and wasn't a cog in the machine.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 23, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible for me to connect with the person making the final decision regarding promotion. I'm not even really seeking promotion (which I am pretty positive wouldn't happen) but just want to bring myself up from the floor of the current level to something that is roughly commensurate with median for my level.

It's probably different than what most people here are used to re: not actually working with the person responsible for your rate. The whole firm is divided into project teams and admin teams which are more often than not disparate. You just have to convince your PMs that your worth your salt then they have to communicate it to your admin supervisor.

E: Also another point, if you are in this company you ALWAYS have a path upward. You move up or you move out and it's expected that you do it. I just want to adjust my rate before I get branded as the guy with the low rate that PMs want to use to fill positions with tight budgets. (Which I have seen as a sort of alternative to moving up. People getting promotions but always staying at the bottom of the payband.)

Tots fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 23, 2016

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I would then say, gauge what you're worth, and when you think the time is right, move on to a company that will pay you what you're worth. If your company's policy for promotion is based on some weird system based on tenure/arbitrary values, you may want to look around for opportunities where you will be promoted based on merit. This takes honest introspection and the ability to determine that you're not being paid what you're worth and that you can do better.

If you're not ready yet and need to pay your dues, so be it. If promotion will only come around on some arbitrary event, or you are competing for a future position with 15 other people who nobody has really done research on, and they will just fill without really good reasons for picking a specific person, then find a better opportunity. Again, this is based on the idea that you ARE worth more than you are being paid, and the ability to move up will NOT be based on your merit, and/or the cards aren't stacked in your favor.

If you are good at what you do, and you show drive and initiative, you will find a good job that suits you. I know all too many people that are in dead-end jobs waiting for promotions that may never come because they are under the impression that if you work for the company long enough and hard enough, you will get what's deserved. Unfortunately, they seem to refuse to realize that politics plays into it and time served is in no way a metric for guaranteed promotion.

Hell, when I started here as a sales rep there was a woman who had been here for a while and was a senior rep. The first time she met me, she sat me down to have a talk on "how to be successful" at this company. Long story short, four years later I ended up being her boss and having to fire her. Often times, career advancement is not the standard linear path many people believe it to be.

e: Also, as far as titles: they really don't mean poo poo except to the company bestowing it. My "title" to some larger companies wouldn't sound very impressive. In my company (about $500 million), my title is actually a very powerful position. Don't worry about the title; the value is in the responsibilities of the role. At a larger company, my title would be equivalent to Senior Vice President or something along those lines. It sounds much less impressive at mine, but I don't much give a gently caress about titles. I've hired people who've had better titles than I currently have.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 23, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Meet with the person who actually evaluates you then, not the one who aggregates the feedback. If there's more than one, consider doing it with the ones who are the most relevant. I've worked in a "matrix management" company before - I met with my "tech lead"(PM) as they called it and presumably he passed feedback on to my "line manager"(admin supervisor). I'm making assumptions about the size of these projects - how many PMs are you likely going to work closely with in a given one-year period? If the answer is 20, maybe it's not worth it, but if it's 2-3, it can't hurt at all.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Goons,

I'm hoping you can help me here.

Last June I interviewed and was hired for a position with Manager A. She told me I would replace her within 2 years because she was planning on retiring (I got hired at 52, she made 95 + bonus)

She was then pushed out in between me getting hired and started and replaced with manager B

So, I have interviewed wth two companies for payroll manager roles.

Company A Advertised for 80-85 on indeed, the interview went ok but I'm not too excited about it.

Company B told me 70k with within their range when they asked me (oops) and is the company I want to work.

I'm pretty sure B is going to offer me the job tomorrow and A Is a non starter. Should I say A offered 80k, if you can come closer to that I will accept on the spot?

For comparison payroll management roles seem to range from 60 (Manchester NH) 140k (Boston) and I've done my research.

I've just never negotiated anything before

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 3, 2016

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Goons,

Advice question for salary negotiations, I just received the application form which for this company is a online document. irritatingly they have marked the current salary and desired one as required items. any suggestions on how i should reply?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

Goons,

I'm hoping you can help me here.

Last June I interviewed and was hired for a position with Manager A. She told me I would replace her within 2 years because she was planning on retiring (I got hired at 52, she made 95 + bonus)

She was then pushed out in between me getting hired and started and replaced with manager B who is really terrible at her job and has no idea how to do mine, but she's got an amazing social game and takes credit for a lot of what I do. It's a great company I just don't think I have any opportunity.

So, I have interviewed wth two companies for payroll manager roles.

Company A Advertised for 80-85 on indeed, the interview went ok but I'm not too excited about it.

Company B told me 70k with within their range when they asked me (oops) and is the company I want to work.

I'm pretty sure B is going to offer me the job tomorrow and A Is a non starter. Should I say A offered 80k, if you can come closer to that I will accept on the spot?

For comparison payroll management roles seem to range from 60 (Manchester NH) 140k (Boston) and I've done my research.

I've just never negotiated anything before

I guess you didn't read the previous posts. Lying is bad and you will get found out.

Try to narrow down your salary data to the region you actually live in - getting data points from cities with job markets that aren't related to where you live is pointless.

Assuming B gives you an offer that's an improvement on A but A is where you want to work, you can certainly go back to A (if they give you an offer) and say "thanks for the offer, I'm excited to work for you but you should know that I've recently received and offer for a comparable role at $x. I'd prefer to work for you and would be happy to sign if you can match the other offer."

Make sure that you get their written offers so that you can compare other terms like vacation and benefits.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Goons,

Advice question for salary negotiations, I just received the application form which for this company is a online document. irritatingly they have marked the current salary and desired one as required items. any suggestions on how i should reply?

How much do you need / want the job? Have you done your research? What kind of company is it?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Regarding trying to get a better salary from one of two companies. I was in a very similar position when I got my current job. I realized that I low-balled myself after I already gave them a number. A few days earlier I talked to a recruiter for a different company who threw out a range that was like +10k. I didn't even have another interview at that point, so I said "another company has expressed interest in me for $XX,XXX would you be willing to meet me half way?" which wasn't a lie. I sent it all in a rather lengthy email breaking down what I anticipated my total compensation to be in each scenario (even putting a number on job security) and sent it out with a very reasonable increase request. That worked for me. Might not work for you but it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How much do you need / want the job? Have you done your research? What kind of company is it?

I really just want to leave my current employer because of the toxic environment it has making something that is closer to what a masters level chemist should be making would be nice too. Haven't done the research yet but that is a excellent suggestion that i should have thought of in the first place. and this is a growing international pharma company.