Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arquinsiel posted:

If the dude interviewing you was in Ireland then the numbers are likely to be very wrong for a USA-based role. Ireland is depressingly expensive and not particularly well paid right now, so 65k euro might be reasonable for what you're being asked to do within Ireland where unless you're being sent to Donegal nothing is more than four hours drive away. Vision and dental are also dirt cheap in Ireland compared to the USA (dental in particular, I fly home rather than pay UK rates) so they might not realise that it actually matters a lot to you.

Ooooorr they do and they're being lovely, so what Lockback said.

I think the Irish guy was who he was waiting to hear from though I may be mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

GWBBQ posted:

Just copying and pasting from the chat thread,

The offer is $65k, health insurance, no vision or dental, 10 days/2 weeks flex PTO, and first 3 months at gross pay as a 1099 worker. I'm hoping to get an offer for way more from a competitor that said they would let me know by Friday, but I'll just have to see if they actually get back to me; that one was another "when can you start?" phone interview and the guy flat-out said "what we need is another genius type who has seen everything and can fix whatever the crew on-site runs into, and you sound like that kind of guy." I'm hoping it's just time zone delays since I'm on the east coast of the US, the guy who interviewed me was in Ireland, and his business partner is on the west coast. Not wanting to constantly travel is one thing, but salary plus optional overtime and all-expenses-paid travel on the clock makes it a lot more palatable since the farthest I've been from home outside of an airport was Miami.

I'm not going to give up and stop looking for something better, especially with the 1099 bait and switch that wasn't mentioned during the interview although the guy who runs the office is really nice and has a particularly adorable dog. I'm touching up my resume and writing cover letters to a bunch of single-location M-F jobs in my area. Aside from A/V and IT tech jobs, there are a handful that pay over $100k base, plus commission, that I'm more than qualified for if I suck it up and break my personal "I don't want to work in management" rule.

I'm also spending a lot of my free time cramming on Coursera Plus as a refresher on some programming skills that I've forgotten*. There's a potential, very lucrative opportunity with a medical startup and I'm currently reading a book on Keras for healthcare applications while practicing optimization problems in both TensorFlow 2 and
D-Wave Leap.

* - holy poo poo, do I feel old having learned C++ in my freshman year CSE101 class

This is bottom tier startup-thats-6-months-from-death pay. IMO it's not worth accepting (having taken similar things very early in my career). If you need the money to eat then whatever, but don't stop looking for other work.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

GWBBQ posted:

Just copying and pasting from the chat thread,

The offer is $65k, health insurance, no vision or dental, 10 days/2 weeks flex PTO, and first 3 months at gross pay as a 1099 worker...

If you're working the same hours and have the exact same job for the 1099 period, then they're misclassifying you for that period and it's almost certainly illegal. Not to mention that the gross rate for the 1099 is going to work out to be like 50% less take-home pay for those three months because of the extra taxes you'll be paying that your employer would be covering if you were a W2 employee.

Like others have said, if you desperately need the money, take it while looking for something else, but definitely hold onto that offer that explains the 1099 thing and report it to your state department of labor whenever you've left the job. If you don't take the job, then report it now. The actual punishment for this is relatively minimal- I think it's simply correcting the issue and putting everyone on a W2 that is misclassified, but at least it'll make them think twice before trying that poo poo again on someone else.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 23, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

I think the Irish guy was who he was waiting to hear from though I may be mistaken.
I can see that reading. In that case... I guess watch out for all those pitfalls from that job too.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The guy in Ireland was very straightforward with everything and their range is 65-90. I thought this first one was being shady with the 1099 thing, thanks to everyone for confirming it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

m0therfux0r posted:

gross rate for the 1099 is going to work out to be like 50% less take-home pay for those three months because of the extra taxes you'll be paying that your employer would be covering if you were a W2 employee.

Isn't it 7.65%? Like an actual contractor would need to charge more since they'll have overhead, but a misclassified wouldn't really.

(Hopefully this is moot and you get a better offer and don't have to deal with the shady company)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Epitope posted:

Isn't it 7.65%? Like an actual contractor would need to charge more since they'll have overhead, but a misclassified wouldn't really.

(Hopefully this is moot and you get a better offer and don't have to deal with the shady company)

Yeah, he's not right. Usually the 50% mark is to account for insurance (which it sounds like he is getting, for some reason) and 401k (which is not take home) and PTO, which he'd also be getting. Take home taxes would, quick math, be about $5k more per year for a 1099 (but you'd also get an additional deduction to counter some of that).

But, as said, usually no 401k, and you won't have the same employee protections (for what thats worth), usually no unemployment (this can be a very big deal) etc. So straight take home is pretty close but long term the things you're giving up are painful. This is why people get stuck in these bad situations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ladders, lifts, and no workman's comp insurance are a dealbreaker (and would be even if I hadn't broken my right foot twice this year). Anyone want to call the over/under on how many seconds it will take for the offer to be withdrawn once I give them the choice of hiring me as a W2 employee or paying me prevailing wage with supplementary benefits as a contractor?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Ladders, lifts, and no workman's comp insurance are a dealbreaker (and would be even if I hadn't broken my right foot twice this year). Anyone want to call the over/under on how many seconds it will take for the offer to be withdrawn once I give them the choice of hiring me as a W2 employee or paying me prevailing wage with supplementary benefits as a contractor?

You won't even finish the sentence

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I bet they won't withdraw it, they'll just ghost.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

doublepost

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 24, 2023

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I bet they won't withdraw it, they'll just ghost.
That would make for a very awkward situation considering we already agreed that I would start Thursday.

I woke up to a message from the guy in Ireland, the other company wants me to interview with their technical manager. I don't have the gut turning anxiety I had yesterday (not even exaggerating, I was in physical discomfort with nausea and chest pain, plus I was tense enough that I'm sore all over today).

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 24, 2023

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, he's not right. Usually the 50% mark is to account for insurance (which it sounds like he is getting, for some reason) and 401k (which is not take home) and PTO, which he'd also be getting. Take home taxes would, quick math, be about $5k more per year for a 1099 (but you'd also get an additional deduction to counter some of that).

I was posting that fast at work and messed up- I just meant to say that the contract rate should be way more than the W2 rate, but for some reason but some random figure there and shouldn't have- chalk it up to lack of coffee yesterday morning I guess. Regardless, I entirely missed the part where he's getting insurance during the 1099 probationary period? That seems extra weird.

It also seems like he bailed on that place anyway so I guess it doesn't matter now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

m0therfux0r posted:

I entirely missed the part where he's getting insurance during the 1099 probationary period?
:iiam: I think I figured out their deal as I can find no evidence of the company having any employees aside from management - I think they take jobs, hire people as contractors, and ditch them once the job is done and paid for.

quote:

It also seems like he bailed on that place anyway so I guess it doesn't matter now.
Looks like it. It's also travel heavy, but no out-of-pocket expenses, federal mileage reimbursement rate, company tools and laptop, and a company card I can use for any job expenses like lodging, food, gas, tool/equipment rentals, etc. is way better.

Adhemar posted:

If you touch computers well enough to know C++, I hope you know you can do much better than that offer.
That was 20 years ago and I forget it all, but I got Coursera Plus and am breezing through programming classes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GWBBQ posted:

That would make for a very awkward situation considering we already agreed that I would start Thursday.

I woke up to a message from the guy in Ireland, the other company wants me to interview with their technical manager. I don't have the gut turning anxiety I had yesterday (not even exaggerating, I was in physical discomfort with nausea and chest pain, plus I was tense enough that I'm sore all over today).
If you're trying to negotiate after agreeing to start then I think you're getting a "take it or leave it" at best so.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

More updates, hold on to your butts! I talked to the guy again and here's the summary.

-He confirmed that the business is licensed and bonded for all work done. He does not know if this extends to liability for contractors or if they're covered by workman's comp (so that's a no on all counts).
-There is no contract involved in 1099 employment (I'm fascinated to hear how they explain hiring contractors without a contract).
-Hiring people as W2 employees after 3 months is a verbal agreement, nothing is put in writing.
-In the past "two or three years," all but one person who started as contractors were hired as full-time employees.
-When I asked how many other people work there, he said that most work is subcontracted out.
-When I pressed further, he admitted that he's offering me the job because [drumroll] aside from him and his co-founder/co-owner, they have one employee who "isn't going to last much longer."

All that said, you're right; it's take it or leave it. I told him I would need to talk to my accountant and would let him know next week. I'm going to make a counteroffer with 3+1 options:
-Hire me as a contractor, pay me my contracting rate.
-Hire me as a full-time employee in the role of project manager and lead technician.
-Without getting into details, my accountant isn't the only person I'm going to be talking with and I may be able to offer them a fair investment in exchange for making me an equal partner and running it like a competent person while they do ... well I'm not quite sure what they actually do.

And the +1

m0therfux0r posted:

definitely hold onto that offer that explains the 1099 thing and report it to your state department of labor whenever you've left the job. If you don't take the job, then report it now. The actual punishment for this is relatively minimal- I think it's simply correcting the issue and putting everyone on a W2 that is misclassified, but at least it'll make them think twice before trying that poo poo again on someone else.
If they won't put it in writing and it's a 15-minute drive to a state that only requires one-party consent for recording, establish proof that you're there, record conversations, and let the state DOL handle the rest and make everyone whole who they've hosed over.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

offer them a fair investment in exchange for making me an equal partner and running it like a competent person while they do ... well I'm not quite sure what they actually do.

This rules

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hmm, your hiring practices are unethical at best and illegal at worst, and you seem to have little idea how to run your business. I would like to buy in!

GWBBQ posted:

If they won't put it in writing and it's a 15-minute drive to a state that only requires one-party consent for recording, establish proof that you're there, record conversations, and let the state DOL handle the rest and make everyone whole who they've hosed over.

This probably won't work like you think it would. They'd be totally in the clear if they use ANY weesling at all "We said we'd like to hire him, but the economics didn't work out. We said we'd give him an offer, but the offer we could give him is a really low one" etc. You'd probably have to drive a civil case yourself as I don't think the DoL usually gets involved in situations like these (unlike wage theft or union violations) you aren't an employee so this is more in the realm of breech of contract, which means you are going to likely have to front a bunch of money, which is a problem because All you'd be entitled to is damages, which for a position like this probably wouldn't amount to much. You might spend $15k and 12 months to get 3 months of salary. It's unlikely to be worth much.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Epitope posted:

This rules
It's a Hail Mary play, but the math on slapping "under new management" onto what exists and running it competently and ethically could easily bring in more money than cooking the books and treating your single employee like poo poo.

Lockback posted:

Hmm, your hiring practices are unethical at best and illegal at worst, and you seem to have little idea how to run your business. I would like to buy in!
I doubt this will actually work out, but success would involve not doing unethical or illegal things.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Epitope posted:

This rules
I mean it's a pretty badass move to pull, but solid odds it'll just result in GWBBQ being left holding the can when it's suddenly "discovered" that there are irregularities in the books or something.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a little cooler than that.
"It seems I may be forced to sell my labor to your lovely company, that uses exploitative and illegal practices. But I have a better idea"

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

GWBBQ posted:

So while this wouldn't help YOU personally, you can report misclassification to the state labor department even just based on suspicion. If they're interested, they'll look into the business.

I'd definitely go that route if I didn't take the job (I'd be wary of it if I took the job because I wouldn't want to risk a surprise firing), but then again I am a guy that gets notably furious when places violate what few labor laws we even have here in the US. gently caress em.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

m0therfux0r posted:

So while this wouldn't help YOU personally, you can report misclassification to the state labor department even just based on suspicion. If they're interested, they'll look into the business.

I'd definitely go that route if I didn't take the job (I'd be wary of it if I took the job because I wouldn't want to risk a surprise firing), but then again I am a guy that gets notably furious when places violate what few labor laws we even have here in the US. gently caress em.
I've thought it over and I'm going to ask to meet in person to hammer out the details. I'll present my counter-offer to sign on as a W2 employee with a contract that specifies a 3-month probationary period. Given their apparent difficulty finding and retaining employees, I'm going to ask for the title of lead technician and hiring manager, with the goal of hiring and maintaining competent and capable staff rather than being the A/V integration equivalent of The Skipper and Gilligan running three-hour tours.

And yes, I am still looking into subsidized business loans and venture capital investments that would let me invest in the company as a partner or buy it outright. It's a long shot like I said, but contracts, partnerships, and inventory/cash on hand could easily compensate everyone who they hosed over with far less than the value of cash on hand and accounts receivable.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hello cool negotiation thread, I am a forum demon that has come to beg a moment of your negotiation brains.

I preanchored with the recruiter because I'm an idiot and this is my first time ever really dealing with one and I was offered a job that I want at what I anchored at + 2k which is the very tip top of the range they advertise in their listing. However, there were 3 interviews, 1 of which was a "fit" meeting with who would be my boss's boss and I told him what I used to make (again, idiot) and he said, well, the job starts at $actualoffer but if you wanted to do $actualoffer + 5k, we could probably accommodate that. My speculation as to why is that I left my last gig because I went in undervalued, he liked me a lot (quite sure of this, said things like "best interview I'll have all day" etc) and would like me to stick around so hes getting ahead of that issue.

I realize this seems like a slam dunk and I'm thinking that boss's boss might lose respect if I don't negotiate, but also its the top of the posted range and since it's such a sweet deal I'm worried about souring. Company is relatively large so I should be fine... right?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is actualoffer +5k more than what you wanted? I’m a bit lost there.

Definitely at least ask for actual offer +5k. Your future boss is telling you that the offer is too low, it probably doesn’t make a difference to him what his salary spend is, and he doesn’t want to lose someone good for a relatively minor salary difference.

If it’s higher than what you preanchored on previously - “after further conversations about the nature of the role” etc

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 29, 2023

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yeah, what does the market say? Is the offer competitive with the overall market?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Sounds like you are in a good position. Give yourself flexibility if they hold firm that you can still take it if you want without losing credibility. I.e, use wording like "after considering all aspects, i know i could sign today for x+5k. If there a way you can get there?" Only use that if you actually have already thought about it and don't need another night to sleep on it.

The point is to keep truthful here, don't say stuff like "i can't sign unless you go up another 5k" if that's not totally true-- if they hold firm and you sign anyway that's an unforced error giving them info you're not credible. And it's easily avoided by just phrasing things differently.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Is actualoffer +5k more than what you wanted? I’m a bit lost there.

Definitely at least ask for actual offer +5k. Your future boss is telling you that the offer is too low, it probably doesn’t make a difference to him what his salary spend is, and he doesn’t want to lose someone good for a relatively minor salary difference.

If it’s higher than what you preanchored on previously - “after further conversations about the nature of the role” etc

It is more than I asked for, though I am very growth focused in general so I think it actually *would* keep me in the role for longer.

What you and Jemand say makes sense and goes with the voice that drove me to post. As Jemand points out, I came here because I do want to work there and do not want to lose credibility. I do have another offer on the table for a bit more but it's not as good once I've considered things like growth potential, benefits, upsides etc.

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, what does the market say? Is the offer competitive with the overall market?

A quick look says that in the market they're based out of, its average, but since it's full remote I had anchored to what is average here. In my market, its above average significantly if I get the +5. However, my role has various experience level tiers (IT), and if I go with the middle experience level, it seems to be right on the nose average.

Thank you all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If they countered for more than you asked for I'd just take it. You showed your cards, but it's a good sign of a boss if he's doing that. It means he's trying to think of you in longer terms.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It is more than I asked for, though I am very growth focused in general so I think it actually *would* keep me in the role for longer.

What you and Jemand say makes sense and goes with the voice that drove me to post. As Jemand points out, I came here because I do want to work there and do not want to lose credibility. I do have another offer on the table for a bit more but it's not as good once I've considered things like growth potential, benefits, upsides etc.

A quick look says that in the market they're based out of, its average, but since it's full remote I had anchored to what is average here. In my market, its above average significantly if I get the +5. However, my role has various experience level tiers (IT), and if I go with the middle experience level, it seems to be right on the nose average.

Thank you all.

Sounds like you learned why you never name a number first unless you think you have an information advantage.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

leper khan posted:

Sounds like you learned why you never name a number first unless you think you have an information advantage.

But don't get too down on yourself -- you got more than what you wanted and you learned a lesson for next time

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Rule 1 is "never not negotiate" but Rule 2 is "know when you've won".

If the boss's boss is telling you to email back with a "hey based on chats I require X+5k" then that sounds like you've won.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
My previous company essentially closed their local division because of covid, and didn't yet have fully remote positions for their out-of-state office. Since then, I've been looking for a job for well over a year, and finances are getting extremely thin. Thankfully, I'm in what appear to be the late stages with 2 different jobs at the same large Company A, which works very very slowly from a hiring standpoint, and I'm hopefully finally approaching the offer stage. The wrench is that I noticed that my old employer was now offering a fully remote position that I'm qualified for, and I applied to that as well, and frankly, they seem thirsty as gently caress. It's a pretty small Company B and they seem ready to hire me back after only a few days since I initially contacted them again, where it's been a multi-month process for the other 2. I'm not really sure what my question is, I'm just looking for advice on generally navigating the prospect of trying to negotiate for these jobs and a higher salary while at the same time NEEDING one of these jobs. Like I literally can't afford to NOT get one of these jobs.

Job 1: Company A. Highest Paying, Fully Remote with an on site probationary period with an annoyingly long train commute, job I'm least qualified for. Slowest hiring process, who knows when this offer is coming, if it is.
Job 2: Company A. Slightly lower paying, Hybrid with an annoyingly long train commute with possibility of going full remote later, should be more on my level than Job 1. SEEMS like it's approaching an offer this week or next week max.
Job 3: Company B. Lowest paying. Fully remote. Seems like they need someone now, could have an offer as soon as tomorrow.

Now, since I had never read OP, I initially gave the recruiters a range, because it's literally one of the first things they asked and I didn't want them simply declining to pass on my resume when, again, I NEED a job. Here's the thing though, my wife actually works at Company A. It's a big company and I'd never be anywhere near her or have anything to do with what she does, but she has access (as do all employees) to their compensation guidelines. They have a pre-set range for all positions, low, mid and high. She says they never hire at the high end of the range, so you're mostly shooting for the middle point. Job 1's range is 69k-low 89k-mid. Job 2's range is 57k-low 73k-mid. Job 3 is "55k+". I believe I told the recruiter for jobs 1 and 2 my range was "around 70k," and the HR person for job 3 that I hadn't learned about the position yet but I was looking for other positions in the 60-70k range. This person also knows that my previous salary for the company was 52k in 2020, because she can look that up. No other money talk has taken place during any interviews or conversations with the actual teams. According to an inflation/buying power calculator I just found, anything less than 60k would basically be a pay cut from my old job.

My other concern, besides money, is timing. Let's say Job 3 contacts me TOMORROW, and says "yes we want you, we'll pay this" or we negotiate or whatever. How do I tell them I'm waiting for other offers to come in. I mean, I know I probably just say "that's an interesting offer, I'd like to see what these other offers come in at." But then how long can I leave them hanging while I wait for what is hopefully coming from company A, but maybe isn't, or they just keep being slow as gently caress and I don't know when it's coming. How aggressive can I be with company A and say "hey company B wants me back, I'm gonna need to see some offers real soon?"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Usually the better way to play it is "Great, thanks. I have received multiple offers but I am excited about joining your team and would be willing to commit today for $X." If they say no then it's "ok, in that case I need a week (or whatever) to consider my options."

But if Company A is so slow that it might be a month or more before you hear from them again, you have no choice but to accept or decline whatever Company C's offer maxes out at. They're not going to wait longer than a week for an answer, possibly not even that long.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

E: wrong thread.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 7, 2023

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Usually the better way to play it is "Great, thanks. I have received multiple offers but I am excited about joining your team and would be willing to commit today for $X." If they say no then it's "ok, in that case I need a week (or whatever) to consider my options."

But if Company A is so slow that it might be a month or more before you hear from them again, you have no choice but to accept or decline whatever Company C's offer maxes out at. They're not going to wait longer than a week for an answer, possibly not even that long.

I've definitely stretched my answer for longer than a week before.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Suspecting I may be getting offered a new position in my company. I have no idea what the pay scale for the position is and we never talked about numbers. I know I am basically up a river but if I am not happy with the number is it worth mentioning what market scale currently is? Based on averages these kind of positions go from 105-125k, and I'm currently at 80k (minus bonus which is 5%). I would be fine with lower range since I don't have full experience with the platform, but a year in this role will set me up to make that or more down the road.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internal promotions generally don't have a lot of (or any) room for negotiation. I know my corp limits it to a 10% increase in most cases. I wouldn't expect much wiggle room to be honest.

It's dumb, and it leads to organizations spending a bunch of money training people and then watch them walk out the door to market rate jobs, but that's the way it is a lot of places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

skipdogg posted:

Internal promotions generally don't have a lot of (or any) room for negotiation. I know my corp limits it to a 10% increase in most cases. I wouldn't expect much wiggle room to be honest.

It's dumb, and it leads to organizations spending a bunch of money training people and then watch them walk out the door to market rate jobs, but that's the way it is a lot of places.

I’ve worked for this company for a few years now. My current role was a promotion to a new department and I went from 50k to 70k, so I don’t think they are limited. I don’t know that for sure though and I did whisper to my former manager that was shilling for me that I wouldn’t take it unless it was around there. When the vp offered me that I just immediately accepted since it was what I wanted.