Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

At what point/tips on phrasing should I bring up salary for a position that advertised a range in the ad? The top end is lower than I would take currently, but if they bumped it up by about 7k (from 58,240 to 65000) I would strongly consider the offer (of course depending on what else they offer as well). This is going through a staffing agency (I know) and they have just contacted me to schedule the initial phone interview. I get that it's a little premature, but I figured I'd ask early rather than too late. This would also involve a cross country move so please feel free to give me any insights about tacking on a relo package as well as any warning/pitfalls I should look out for. By the way I greatly appreciate the information you all have posted and it's already helped me become considerably more confident in future negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Right but if I hear something like "ok I'm going to submit you for x salary" prior to speaking with the actual company, do I bring it up then or after I get a formal offer letter? Especially since with staffing agencies you sign all that as part of a collection of documents.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is there a networking thread? I've always been a top performer but suck poo poo at networking so some tips to get started would be appreciated. And no I'm not some goony bastard lacking in social skills.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I'm looking at the second round of interviews for a position in Denver. They mentioned a 60k salary, yearly discretionary bonus of about 10%, and deployment pay that essentially doubles the salary per week, but varies from year to year (could be two weeks, could be four months). No relocation provided. I'd like to push the salary to 65k if possible due to cost of living out there, should I start with 70k as a counter or go higher? The averages for salaries in my position in that area are between 55k and 70k depending on the site used. If they say no on the salary I'm going to try to negotiate a raise based on gaining a cert I plan to take this year - anyone have experience with something along those lines and have any thoughts besides "get any agreement in the offer letter?"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

rt4 posted:

What's your work history like? What's the actual role? This sounds preposterously low, especially in a city as expensive as Denver. This would be unimpressive even in the south.

A little over 3 years in HR and a lot of restaurant work prior to that - this would be for an HR Generalist role. I'm not looking to buy a house or anything as that would obviously not be an option, but from what I looked at it seemed like I could get a decent rental in the $1500 a month range. By the sound of things though I should stick to the south (I'm in TN now).

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

You'd be spending almost a third of your before-tax income on rent, and we haven't even talked about parking, gas for what will presumably be a lengthy commute, and the general cost of stuff in Denver. Yikes.

Hmm sounds like I should take a pass unless they go substantially higher then. Ok thanks for the advice.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

ehhhhhhh

There are absolutely companies that have a track record of bonuses and then pull the rug. Comparing companies that give bonuses to those that don't is tough, but I'd still value the money in compensation over the money in bonus.

Right but for negotiation away from a company that hasn't pulled the bonus and has paid it's full value each year, they should count it, especially since they like their job and are basically in the best negotiating position they could be in.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any advice negotiating for a temporary government position? I was extended an offer at the bottom of the range they posted and it would involve moving across the country. I have no plans to take it at the $3500 per month they opened with and the top end of the range is around $5100. Is there a strict x years of experience equals this amount of pay or other things that will make it difficult to negotiate? Fwiw I have an extra year of exp. on top of the two years required.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I have one offer involving a cross country move, and I believe a second company is going to offer soon as I went through a second panel interview and got a follow up call regarding salary requirements. I pushed that back by saying I would need to review their total benefit package, which is going to get sent over to me. If they send that without a salary number, any tips on making them blink first for naming a number or do I just anchor high?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I am a little reticent to anchor due to the wide range that the position title is listed for in salary. I've seen JDs have a $16 per hour listing and it goes up to around 80k per year depending on area, and I don't want to come in too high and scare them off. Also, it was a bit of a weird situation as the panel interview consisted of 4 different department heads and it seems like I would be considered for each department. Speaking of, with fully remote positions, how are you all factoring in CoL into your negotiations/thought process? Emphasis on where you live, where the company is located, or just whichever is higher?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm looking at jobs in my field and at my experience level, but some places just don't put any value in HR beyond the absolute minimum but will still ask for 3 yrs exp. and a degree yet expect to pay barely above Target wages, so it's always a concern when applying without a salary listed. I've slow rolled the other offer enough that I feel confident using it as a back-up, and luckily my alternative to both of "no job" is perfectly acceptable to me at the moment due to the stability of my living situation/finances and need to study for my professional certification I'm sitting for in December. I guess if the top end is 80k I'll throw out 70 if they ask first. If that's too high and scares them off after several interviews they were probably looking to cap at 45k or something anyways. I do sometimes wonder if I should hold off until I gain my cert to increase my market value before accepting a position, as it's going to be harder to negotiate a raise/promotion with under a year at whichever place I get hired at.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

In a vacuum, SHRM guidance is 40% for hourly, 50% for salaried, 60% for executive based on their compensation philosophy instruction.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That might not be so much a negotiable point and more an accommodation under the ADA. Get a diagnosis first though.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Speaking of, talked with a recruiter a few minutes ago about a position that had $26-27 per hour listed on the ad. They asked if that would work, I said it's a bit below the market rate for the position and they can afford it. So she asked for a number and I said $30. It's a temp contracting gig until the end of the year so I figured the worse I was going to hear is "no" and a screw up wouldn't greatly affect me, but I would like some feedback on how to respond to the "job posting is for x amount, is that ok?" question with a bit more detail than "I'm negotiable/we can make the numbers work" when they're pressing for requirements to send to a hiring manager. Is it just to keep deflecting with a "more concerned about a good fit," etc and still hold your ground? I realize I'm dropping this in the middle of the biweekly anchor vs don't anchor argument so apologies.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

One point in it's favor is they let you apply internally from day one for positions, they just ask you work out your contract before accepting one (makes sense, have to get that recruiter pay). So it seems like more of a pipeline they can use to get rid of lovely employees without much investment rather than a quick project oriented position they are going to dump in a few months after the work is complete.

My alternative is sitting at home drinking rye whiskey and studying for my professional cert - pretty compelling stuff. I'm privileged enough that I've been able to ride out a few months of being unemployed without it having much effect on my finances but I feel like I'll need to take something soon just so the gap on my resume quits widening.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks for that target, I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's a little easier when you don't need a job.

Edit: having said that, I've worked on the HR side with recruiters, and...yeah they pretty much suck across the board.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They weren't negotiating on your behalf, they were making sure they could get you in for the number they were already given and not wasting their own time. You don't know what the range for the position was so no you should not have given a number. That being said, if you're happy with what you got then hey you succeeded.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 20, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That really sounds like they are hiring your replacement.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I mean as an HR "professional" it sounds like showing up and taking a steamer on the desk then peacing out is the best thing to do for your mental health. There's going to be no red flags for gaps this year when all you really have to say is Covid, or "I resigned due to a poor fit with the new company culture."

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Chalets the Baka posted:

That's perfect, thank you.

Also I just noticed that the "offer" letter I got is not actually an offer letter but an "illustration" that's not intended to be an offer - even though I originally asked to see the offer before making a decision. Is it common to see "offers" like this with tentative language? I don't want to accept this "illustration" only to end up with a final offer that varies wildly from what I see here. What kind of language should I use in a situation like this? "Assuming the final offer is consistent with what is described in the document sent to me, I accept"?

That's loving weird. No.

Edit: I mean what others have said, as in "what you have offered is acceptable."

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 20, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So just got a somewhat confusing offer for about 12.5k over my initial counter. I spoke to a recruiter who game me their range, I said the avg. salary for this position is higher and I know the company can afford it, especially for a contract only role, so let's go with $x per hour. I hear nothing for about 6 weeks until another recruiter from the same company contacts me about the same role and mentioned her coworker spoke to me some time ago. "So we had several positions open up that meet your target, is $x+6 per hour still accurate?" "Uh... Yeah that's right" "great I'll go ahead and move forward with an interview." I mean I feel like I won so it's a victory even if I left money on the table, but I'm pretty sure this thread just got me an extra 12.5k for a position I was interested in taking regardless. So thank you to the several posters that gave me advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Definitely don't quit. Worse case is you get fired and collect unemployment, as that's an easy case. Best case is they follow the guidelines. In-between is you still get paid while you apply to other jobs.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

He said they weren't following osha guidelines, he has it documented when they weren't following those guidelines, and has it in writing that he's asking them to follow those guidelines to which they haven't responded. Sure they might be petty and fight it but the employer isn't winning that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Well, not that it's helpful now, but this would be a good opportunity to say "always get agreements in writing." Even if it's over the phone, send a follow up email to the effect of "Here's what we discussed and agreed to on our phone call previously."

For your specific situation, it's going to be helpful to have the dates documented and any communication between you and them written down. You're also going to need a thorough explanation of how you were put in an unsafe position by both your employer and also whatever sites they are sending you to. It's one thing to show up to a site, say this is unsafe, here's why, I won't be performing work until this is resolved, and an entirely different thing to just not show up because you don't think it's safe because you don't trust your boss.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No, I'd still file unemployment if you get fired and show up for the hearing if it's contested (they do it over the phone in my state, even pre Covid). I would point out that you were told they would follow guidelines/mask mandates/whatever is actually applicable, you showed up in person and they were not taking the required safety precautions, you later contacted them about following the safety precautions they are required to/agreed to and you were terminated shortly after. If they fire you they have to show cause in order to avoid unemployment. I don't know what the situation is about you not showing up or refusing to show up at a work site, but if you're given the option to then go and do what I said in the post above. If they don't give you the option and terminate you then you should be in the clear as far as collecting unemployment. It does mostly hinge on whether they can show you actually refused to show up for an assignment and they claim job abandonment.

I'd be happy to take this to pm for more specific info regarding your situation but the overarching advice I think is relevant for everyone is to document everything you can as soon as you can. My anecdotal experience is that larger corporations will leave things vague but positive and hope you fill in the details yourself, while smaller ones will just straight up lie about poo poo and challenge you to call them on it.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 12, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am confident I am the best candidate for the job and I will deliver immense value. I will be happy to sign an offer today if it is $X.

It's this.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I would approach that as "I should get paid more, here's the value I bring" after I had been submitting my resume for a month or two and fully expecting them to give some bs noncommittal answer that strings you along while they look to possibly replace you, as someone else mentioned. Just remember, if you tell them you've received an offer, taking a counter offer is not a good idea.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I would still polish a resume and send out some targeted applications to places you think you'd be happy. It takes a while to get an offer and if you're starting to become financially unappreciated they aren't going to suddenly change their minds.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah sorry if my response came across as "you'll get poo poo canned for asking and this will sandbag your working relationship." That wasn't the intent if that's how it read. There isn't anything wrong with asking for a raise but it helps if you have alternatives to fall back on if it doesn't work out.
I've had people come up to me, ask me for a raise, and I've given it to them on the spot once I saw their pay wasn't in line with what my organization had laid out for pay. This was entry level but still.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 12, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

From the HR side it would be really lovely and counter productive to sandbag someone for giving an honest exit interview. Their whole point is to gather data about why people are leaving and use that as evidence for change to keep it from happening further. In addition, you generally want to keep good relations with employees for the opportunity to being them back up skilled further down the line. That being said, there's a lot of lovely or spineless HR folks who will crumple at the first sign of a demand from another manager to see the results, so I would say it depends on your relationships with people there and how you think they will react to honest criticism. It is true that it only really benefits the company though.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Pulling an offer.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"I would need to examine the entire compensation package before I can give you an answer, but I'm sure with a competitive offer we can make the numbers work."

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So put 1

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You messed up, you said a number.

And then edited your post dammit.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You can absolutely tell the difference between a housing application check and the like, and an employment verification check. The housing ones are a pain in the rear end and the people requesting them make it sound like you have nothing better to do so snap loving to it, while employment is "hi this is so and so from x employment check services, we wanted to ask you some questions about employee." If it's a small to mid company yeah it'll stand out, and depending on the relationship between HR and your manager they might get a message about it. When I got one I would give our ops manager a heads up because that means there might be a staffing hole to fill in the near future. If you're at a larger one it's done through a third party and nobody will have a clue, they have more important things to worry about.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You don't mention you're going to leave until you've accepted an offer and are leaving.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Really just depends on the position and the company. When I worked for a big hospital corp I would sometimes see references requested as part of the background check even for nurses which made me lol. Not sure if the recruiter wasn't paying attention when ordering the background check (very possible) or the site actually required it. I interviewed with a daycare company and they called my references before I even interviewed.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

In fairness not only the article that quotes it says this is a bad approach but every comment under it seems to proceed to dunk on the person that submitted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I can tell from the tone of that person's letter that they absolutely will not listen to either the author's advice or the comments. It's just oozing of idiot-bravado

Oh yeah definitely. Lol "I left 30k on the table in my own hypothetical example because I'm so smart I don't even play the game," is a real take, that's for sure.