Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have an unusual situation in that I want to negotiate for something other than money.

Specifically, I have a body clock that's charitably describable as "night owl" and uncharitably as "Delayed sleep phase disorder". What I want to negotiate for is a job that will offer flexible hours - and then let me actually use them each and every day. (I'd probably work 11-7 or 12-8 most days.)

How can I negotiate for this? Is there a way I can get this in a contract so I have something to point to to say that I won't be able to come in before this time if someone tries to pressure me about it later?

To be clear, this is serious! If I have to wake up too early, my health and temper become seriously impacted. Ask me how I know. :negative:

Anyway, I'm serious enough about this that I'd be willing to accept a somewhat lower offer in exchange for absolutely ironclad shifted hours.

PS: this is in tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Important secondary information:

I'm in Canada. I don't think Canada has a specific equivalent to the ADA. However, I'm in tech so I think it's more likely employers would be amenable to this. And there's excellent health care here, though now's a bad time to go anywhere medical (even to get a diagnosis) with COVID on the loose.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Move to the Midwest or East coast and get a remote job with a west coast company?

Please! No jokes.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

White Chocolate posted:

I think if you’re honest with your career field, do they allow flex time? I heard tales of one of my friends who worked as an engineer getting to work hours he wanted within reason as lobg as the job got done. Or if they don’t regularly allow flex time can you find a reason that your work doesn’t all have to by synchronized with the rest of the group?

"Flexible hours" is at least semi-common on tech job descriptions, which is encouraging. I'm just worried that it'd be like how some companies claim "we have unlimited PTO" then look down on you if you actually use any of it - something less obvious from just the job description alone.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, here's a question. What's a good way to duck out of when you are specifically asked what salary you want?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

practically speaking for most industries non competes are incredibly difficult to enforce in most jurisdictions and you'll really only get nailed for them if you're like, in sales and bringing your book of business along.

What about tech?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I read a blog post on one way to deal with impostor syndrome, and I thought it was pretty useful/cool:

Pretend it’s brilliant conman syndrome, instead.

“Day 31. No one has yet figured out that I’m making it all up as I go along,” may not help with the perception that you are making it up as you go, but it’ll be a salve to the ego.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sundae posted:

Uggh.... and I thought your comp package smelled bad on the outside!

:allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have something interesting about to happen. After fully remote work due to COVID, my company is bringing people back to the office.

I'm planning to negotiate to stay 3 days remote permanently.

When is the right time to bring this up? The plan is to go to 1 day on next week, then 2 on the week after that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xguard86 posted:

Asap I'd imagine. Why wait?

I was weighing over 'now' or 'once we're at 2 days on-site just ask if I could stay that way'.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xguard86 posted:

I think you're better off asking up front. Are you worried there might be more repercussions than just a no?

No. I just suspect that I'll have a better shot once I'm already at 2 days remote because "I'd like things to stay this way" is usually an easier sell than "I'd like to change things" in general.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i decided to scratch the surface a bit and found this: https://danfromhr.com/

Oh, so he’s an influencer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

knox_harrington posted:

I guess I don't understand why on the one hand we would never disclose evidence of salary, but bonus and long term incentive (which are standard parts of compensation in this sector) are different.

Why is one taken on trust and one not? They are essentially saying "I don't believe you".

Because companies have to pay a salary.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My one-year jobiversary is coming up. Any advice on asking for a raise?

(Programmer, small city, company is in industry, very chill generally [my division's org structure is fairly flat] and appears to be interested in retaining me for a long period of time.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can't. Sorry.

I'm going to ask anyway, Mr. Downer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey, I hope you find success. I'm rooting for you. Just go in knowing that the entire purpose of the review/CoL cycle is to prevent the specific thing you want to happen from happening. There is no One Weird Trick to increase your chances, I'm afraid.

If you really want to ask your employer for a significant raise it's better to ask off cycle. But, again, you should be aware that the result of asking for more money is more often your termination a few months later than getting your raise and still being kept on long term. Hopefully you're fine with that.

I don't know if I have a review* or CoL cycle. It's not a technology company; it's a company in [such-and-such industry] that makes [such-and-such] and has a small side division that makes [technological product]. That's where I am.
There's also evidence (confirmed by one of my references) that they prefer people who will still be around in 5+ years.

So I'm assuming the norms may be somewhat different than working 'in tech'.

*Performance analyses happen every September, but they only grant a bonus. And my hire date was in February.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 13, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also dude even your "don't say poo poo" option you put in a lot of weird waffle language about conferring with another party etc which just makes you look like a weak negotiator. edit: aint no loving WE in salary negotiation drat, i do not care what your wife or your dog or your dad or your grandma or your throuple think, i ain't hiring them

What about "I need to confer with my lawyer"? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Seen elsewhere... :thunk:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

gbut posted:

As long as you don't talk poo poo about specific individuals, or go in guns ablazin' about capitalism and its ills, you'll be fine.

So exit interviews are useless in the case of "this particular manager sucks", then?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

So I've encountered the occasional application interface that does the obnoxious "this field is required" thing with a couple dropdowns where you have to pick number/currency/time for your minimum pay requirement, one that doesn't let me type in "equal to my peers doing the same work with similar skills and experience" or some other evasion. I'm a new grad in a field extremely competitive for new grads (registered nursing) and ive been poor my whole life so id literally take anything, so i knew enough to disregard my own judgement and just stuck in a value on the low end of the salary estimate for RNs in that area from a couple different employment websites.

Considering how heavily unionized nursing is in California, it's not likely to even matter, but I was curious what the advice is for these annoying electronic-forced-answers in the future.

I believe it's to enter '1' or '0' and then explain if they ask you about it later on.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pillowpants posted:

Background Check is back and I was given the all clear this morning.

I start new job on 8/1

:hellyeah:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sundae posted:

I think it's either horseshit or extremely company/field specific.

1) Don't job-hop because employers don't like job hoppers, but don't stay anywhere either because they don't like people to stay in jobs? So what's the magical sweet spot these advice-givers think is a reasonable amount of time to stay at a job?

in silicon valley it's supposedly exactly 2 years 😛

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sundae posted:

Also, remember from the corporate thread: "ZERO DEFECTS" parking spot directly next to the handicapped spot. HR had to sign off on that. :v:

What thread is this?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

leper khan posted:

Head of HR wanted to know what range I would accept. She mentioned in the conversation that they had a target range. She didn't seem to want to share their target range. :thunk:

I've been there.

I had a staredown with a similar HR person - which I lost.

I didn't end up taking that job, but it was a valuable learning experience about what to look for as a sign in the hiring process.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As always, the value of any and all stock-option setups a startup may offer is $0.

I'm curious. Can you ever counter an offer of stock options with, "I'll forgo all stock options, but pay me $[bigger number]"?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Epitope posted:

It's money what's planting the brain worms, not lascivious college professors.

Well, that and the common business-school belief that shareholder value is the greatest good, ignoring things like long-term planning, R&D, etc., etc.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fiduciary duty basically never actually gets litigated and the previous rulings basically give corpos a lotta latitude in doin some poo poo

I thought the board/shareholders just forces you (the CEO) out if you don't give them their money as fast as possible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Euronymous posted:

What if I don’t have problems meeting goals

Euronymous posted:

I'm gonna have to drop something soon, I think. Too many Benny Hill scenarios taking multiple calls at once.

:hmmno:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What's the lovely part they're adding?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Parallelwoody posted:

Is it already signed by them? If not, you could pull the ol switcheroo that dude did with the credit card company and modify the contract before sending it over hoping they don't read it (don't actually do this).

What story is this?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Parallelwoody posted:

when I read their contract it wanted me to sign over power of attorney

:eyepop: :stonk:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TBH the four-day, eight-hour workweek would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You don't get paid?