Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Excellent OP, Dwight. I want to add a common piece of advice from the old thread. If someone tries to punish you for negotiating, they are a shithead and you do not want to work for them or be associated with them. Not all positions are negotiable, but you should certainly treat them all as negotiable.

Also, another common one that gets asked and answered often: Don't tell a recruiter your target salary. They get paid when they place you, and if they can convince you to take less money they are more likely to place you. Tell them that you will carefully consider the complete compensation package for each offer you receive, just like you would an employer directly.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Blinky2099 posted:

This has probably been covered a hundred times over in the other thread but I don't remember ever seeing it within the past few months... why is this such a firm belief in SA when there's a lot of research that suggests anchoring (being the one to give a number first) could potentially be even better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring#In_negotiations

It feels like there are two polar opposites here (offer first or have them offer first), both of which have advantages and disadvantages.
Anchoring works better if the other party doesn't have a number in mind already. The hiring manager knows what the last guy got paid and knows what her budget is, generally. So she's already anchored. By throwing out a higher number, she'll just pass. If you throw out a lower number, you cripple your position. Your best bet is to get them interested before salary is discussed.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

poeticoddity posted:

I would like to solicit some unusual negotiation advice in advance of when I may need it.

How should one approach requests for modifications to the offered contract that fall outside of traditional compensation? Specifically, I'm hoping to have it explicitly stated (whenever I find a job) that I retain IP rights to anything developed outside of the company and that is not derivative or related work. (I am comfortable with a company keeping IP rights to anything I develop in-house if that's standard and taken into consideration with their compensation.)

Details: I am applying primarily to positions where I would be doing a lot of code development for large-volume data analysis/visualization/processing in a business environment, but would like to be able to continue developing electronic research/medical equipment (and the corresponding user interfaces) related to my doctoral research. These two things should be completely separable (while there are software components to both, they are quite separate fields), but I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on how to request that without harming leverage on traditional compensation.

Edit: \/ Thanks. \/

Were you the guy who asked this same question a week ago in another thread? I can't remember. Anyway, I'll repeat my advice in case you're not. Keep a lab notebook/journal of your own projects and work. The company can't go after anything that's not work-related, and if you can show via your notebook that your ideas were invented on your own time, you will be golden. This is the primary reason for lab notebooks, even at large companies, btw.

Also, suing a former employee is the nuclear option. Imagine how bad it would be for morale at a company to go after anything that wasn't a slam-dunk win for the company.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

kloa posted:

Speaking of IP and such, does a company have grounds to go after you if you never signed any kind of waiver or something?

I've built multiple things here (as a DBA), and thus never signed any traditional agreement that I wouldn't build a competitor product in the future.

Curious minds want to know!
That's a really complex question that even lawyers won't answer unless you pay them a large sum of money.

If a company is so unsophisticated (in regard to legal stuff) as to not have any non-competes in place, I would wager that would be equally as unsophisticated when it came to protecting IP. I would not be willing to risk my career to test this hypothesis, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah there's no reason to lay a competing offer on the table in detail most of the time. Swenblack's approach is a bit more aggressive on that than many companies in my experience.

The most important part about a competing offer is having it in hand so you can have the confidence to ask for what you think you're worth. If someone like swenblack asked me for a copy of the competing offer I'd say no 99% of the time. You can just put it back to them that "I have a competing offer and I've told you what I'd need from you to join your company in light of that offer. I don't think it would be appropriate to share the details of that offer, just as you would expect me not to show a third party your offer. I will need to have a final decision on the competing offer by (date), so I'd appreciate if you could put your best foot forward as soon as you can do I'm able to fairly consider your offer in light of my other options. I can tell you that if you meet the terms as I've outlined them I'd be ready to sign on the spot. Thanks for your consideration"

Or something to that effect

Has the benefit of giving them a clear line to jump over, showing your confidence, not lying, and giving a clear path / timeline to ending discussions or if the company doesn't meet your terms. Downside is a subset of companies with hard salary budgets and a hiring manager who doesn't want to rock the boat may just say no, but that's a risk with any situation where you're pushing for extra salary, particularly with a larger company.
I could go either way with this one. We advocate putting off salary discussion until the end of the process. If you've already convinced the hiring manager that you're the best candidate and she wants you on her team, then by giving a copy of the offer to her, you're giving her a tool to use on the people who set her budget.

I would definitely agree with you otherwise. Keep your cards (offers) close to your chest unless it's useful to play them. If you disclose too early, you've just anchored at your BATNA, which is a bad thing.

As for lying, don't do it. Everyone has tells. And some people are very hard to bullshit.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 21, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

If someone on my team came to me 6 months into their first job ever with a job offer hand demanding more money, I'd tell them to take it and most likely let them go on the spot. It takes at least that long to get up to speed at my job. If they're already shopping offers, they'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Goons,

Advice question for salary negotiations, I just received the application form which for this company is a online document. irritatingly they have marked the current salary and desired one as required items. any suggestions on how i should reply?
Put in $1. It's negotiable later, and by putting in $1, you're indicating that you'll negotiate it later.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I really just want to leave my current employer because of the toxic environment it has making something that is closer to what a masters level chemist should be making would be nice too. Haven't done the research yet but that is a excellent suggestion that i should have thought of in the first place. and this is a growing international pharma company.
If you're willing to live in the Piedmont Triad of NC, I'm hiring a polymer chemist. PM me if you want more details.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 24, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The worst, unlikely outcome is they pull their offer entirely, and then you are dodging a bullet, because if they pull offers they're also likely broken in other ways that make them intolerable to work with.
I have learned the hard way that if anyone ever tries to punish you for negotiating, they are someone that you should not work for.

I have also learned that when someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

mastershakeman posted:

A few things:

A lot of jobs I apply to are online form submissions that have a required field for prior/current salary. I presume if I put zero there it gets rejected. As such I inflate it for total compensation in my mind, because I worked really low hours so basically figure the lowish pay was worth more since anywhere else would have higher hours. Is putting in $1 like others recommended not going to get it punted when a human sees it?
Think about the type of company that would punt you for putting in $1. Do you really want to work there? If so, put in your target number if you're desperate. But keep in mind that people who negotiate are viewed as more competent and more valuable.

mastershakeman posted:

Alternatively, a lot of job postings say to email with a salary requirement. Again, I start pretty high on this and say " plus benefits ". Is there a better way to phrase things?
In the one interview I had lately I was asked point blank the salary I was seeking, so I said it and essentially got laughed at for it being too high, they didn't even counter. I suppose I could just repeatedly dodge the question but it seems silly to try that- it's two parties going " you first " "no you"
"My expectations for total compensation are in line with local industry averages." (Be sure you know the industry averages, btw)

mastershakeman posted:

And anecdotally, my wife gave the salary range answer when interviewing for the job she has, and they gave her the top of the range. Makes no sense.
Your wife should have asked for more!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the talent deficit posted:

i took a job at a startup a little over a year ago under the understanding the offer was below market but that i'd be given time for personal research projects and my salary would be adjusted to compensate after our series A

they had taken a small friends and family round and a seed round before i joined and raised what they termed a 'second seed round' in december. i was told a series A would follow within 12 months at the time

the research time never really happened due to normal startup time pressure, my team headcount never hit the target i was given when i joined and i hit every personal and team milestone i was assigned

i asked about salary review about a month before my 1 year anniversary and was told salary reviews were ongoing and i would hear back soon. i just got my adjustment and it is frankly insulting. the equity grant is the bare minimum i would expect and the salary increase is tiny as a percentage of my compensation and still leaves me making much less than i could be making elsewhere

i was told to not expect another adjustment until next spring when we are profitable and that the series A is on hold to 'preserve employee equity'

is this situation salvageable or should i walk immediately? i believe i'm critical to operations but that my manager/COO think i'm low risk to quit. most of the dev team were pulled out of the corporate world, are vastly underpaid and are uncomfortable 'rocking the boat'. the few that aren't have significant equity (far more than me)
Don't get paid in promises. Get paid in cash money. Get another offer ASAP. That's your only leverage if you want to stay, which you shouldn't.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gin_Rummy posted:

Fair enough, but I mean, it's not like I'm looking for the job offer itself right now or today, but I just kind of figured some sort of "We will take this into consideration and get back to you soon" or a simple general acknowledgement of my email would be in order. As it stands now, for all I know my email got buried in a poo poo ton of others the dude received while he was out and now they're just sitting over there thinking "well, I guess he wasn't interested in the job. Onto the next candidate then!"

But also, I don't work in HR so I don't really know if this is just kind of normal or what. :shrug:
Pretty normal. If you have an open offer, they know it. It probably needs HR and executive approval, which could take a couple days depending on the company. If you still haven't heard anything by Wednesday morning, go ahead and ping your contact again.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Deadite posted:

Given my experience over the last two days: never try to negotiate and internal offer or expect a lecture from your HR rep
I've posted this on every page of this thread so far, but....

If someone tries to punish you for negotiating, they are a shithead and you do not want anything to do with them. Reasonable people know that everything is negotiable. If they're firm and unwilling to negotiate, reasonable people won't try to punish you for attempting to negotiate. If you try to negotiate and get poo poo for it run, don't walk, away. You dodged a bullet.

If they're asking you to do more, they should pay you more. gently caress getting paid in promises.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

legsarerequired posted:

Some conversations in my company lead me to believe there is a strong possibility that I am getting hired for an internal administrative position in a different department. This position is entry level with the same title as my current role.

Career planning is really new to me, but I'm seriously considering accepting it if offered because I'm very bored in my current role and people tend to move up out of that other department. Another difference is that my current department focuses on maintenance and my new department actually brings in revenue, so maybe people in that department get paid a little better.

We have a Career Path Thread that you should post these questions in.

legsarerequired posted:

I also enjoy the people in the other department. There is a male co-worker in my current department who I no longer want to work with professionally--he's cussed me out twice this year, then felt awful when he realized the mistake was entirely on his end. He also has a weird habit of touching women after they've told him not to. I think he once incorrectly assumed that I reported him to HR (when really it could have been anyone who saw him touching a woman co-worker, who got cussed out by him, who heard his political opinions, etc) because he once hovered over my desk and said "You are not allowed to report me without talking to me" and walked off. Even though he's tried to touch me, I don't really trust corporate HR, so I've never reported him.
This is creepy and intimidating behavior that you do not have to put up with. Keep an incident log. If you don't trust your manager and you don't trust HR, you should seriously consider a new job at a new company. Culture matters. If you need this job, you may consider talking to an attorney. Not because you plan to sue, but because you need a gameplan and professional advice on how to handle this creep and your incompetent HR.

legsarerequired posted:

Again, career planning is really new to me, but how does salary negotiation go if you are changing jobs internally? If I receive the offer, do I have a case for requesting a 2% raise? We already received our annual cost-of-living increases at the beginning of the year.
You can and should negotiate every time you change jobs. Worse case is status quo. Best case is a big pile of money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Not Grover posted:

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, but it seems right. My girlfriend and I both work in the same industry and are looking to relocate. We interviewed this week at competing companies in the city we would like to move to, and both got offers. Because it's a little of a niche industry and kind of a small world, so to speak, my potential employer knows my girlfriend interviewed at the other company. I actually interviewed at two locations owned by the same person; one is specialty and one is more generalized (and in another town ~20-30 mins away). I'm more interested in the specialty place, and today received an email back with an offer, with the caveat that the owner would prefer that I not work in the specialty office if my girlfriend is going to work for the competitor (conflict of interest?). I kind of get it, but it also kind of seems like bullshit to me. I am going to sleep on it before I respond, but as I've never been in this situation, I thought I'd get some more perspective. Thoughts?
I don't think girlfriend/fiance/wife working at a competitor is a protected class. And honestly, as the employer, I'd be wary here too. Not sure what to do about it, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gin_Rummy posted:

This would have been my next step, but I interviewed with like four different potential hiring managers of varying departments. My "we are gonna offer you" email was so vague that they didn't really specify who or what department I was really being offered by.

EDIT: Basically my only point of contact is this crappy HR rep, unless I get desperate enough to try the dude mentioned in the original "out of office" reply, or possibly one of the recruiters that helped set up the interviews. Though, I'm not sure they'd even be much help if I tried them. Worst negotiation ever.
Call the recruiter. They have an interest in placing you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GordonComstock posted:

I do have some numbers from former classmates, as well as some information from a former employer. Just looking to supplement that. Especially since I'm thinking about relocating to a different part of the country, whereas most of my information is central to one state.
What type of engineering and what location?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

This might help?

https://www.asme.org/getmedia/788e990f-99f5-4062-801c-d2ef0586b52d/32673_Engineering_Income_Salary_Survey.aspx

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

compshateme85 posted:

Any advice here for negotiating a salary right out of an MS program? I got an offer from a company I'm super excited about and this will be my first "big girl" job. I really have no experience in the field, but I guess they like me. Since I'm a student and my money comes from the GI Bill, I don't really have the leverage of "this is how much I'm worth".
What's your degree in and what geographical area are you in?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I am graduating with a Bsc in chemical engineering in a few weeks. I have 2 internships, 1 research project that I presented at a national conference, have club leadership experience, and have a GPA of 3.2.

I have just received a job offer in the pharmaceutical industry in the east bay area in CA. The offer is $65000 with good benefits, great vacation/pto and great 401k. This value agrees with the middle of the range from the companys glass door page and some of the reviews say that the company does not negotiate. I like the benefits and I really like the company. I am interviewing at another company in an unrelated field and am waiting to hear if I move further in the process for a third company, also in an unrelated field. Does anyone know what a competitive offer in this industry/location would look like? Is this an offer/situation that I should negotiate?
$65k is low for an expensive area. I live in the rural south and we start ChemE's straight out of school ~$50-60k plus decent benefits.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Big City Drinkin posted:

I was just offered a job and I asked for 10k over their initial offer, and I ended up with 6k more. I probably would have been too scared to ask/not even thought to ask if it weren't for this thread, so thanks!
Grats

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well, after the longest offer negotiation ever (seriously, does it always take three weeks from the verbal offer to finalize the details?), I have decided to turn down the job. Their salary offer was well below my minimum and they didn't even attempt to meet me in the middle from my initial ludicrous salary "expectation," nor would they budge on any of the benefits or perks. Pretty disappointing, overall.

Anywho, I wrote up a nice little email saying I regretfully had to decline and all that, but they've now replied asking for a reason and they're wondering if the salary was my primary reason.

Is this standard protocol? I've never been in a position to turn down an offer, so this is new territory for me. I'm wondering if I should be truthful or if I should just give some BS "there were many factors at play" kind of response?
They might not know that their offer is too low for the local market. I would just right a nice note that their were unwilling to meet your salary requirements and leave it at that. As long as you're polite, you'll probably engender good will.

I've had good candidates take higher paying jobs elsewhere, and when they've provided that feedback, I've been grateful for it. And then I used that feedback to advocate for more budget room for future hires.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Indolent Bastard posted:

The institution has a published salary grid. I fit a certain row based on the job I am applying for and that row has 9 columns from $xx,xxx through to $zz,zzz (technically $rr,rrr through $zz,zzz I suppose, but you get the point) and there is no column beyond $zz,zzz unless I move down another row (which I'm not even certain exists).

Thanks all. Here is hoping that the second interview I just finished will necessitate me taking part in negotiations when I get offered the job.
That sounds like the general pay scale and may be difficult to negotiate against because level is based on role and degree and step is based on time in role. Is that the case in this instance?

Also, it rarely hurts to ask. But if there's a published pay scale and your qualifications are at the bottom end and you ask for the absolute max, it makes you look out of touch. Your most valuable negotiating strategy to know what you're worth.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I disagree, under no circumstances should you accept additional responsibilities without additional compensation. A promise for a raise in 6 months is worth nothing, they will play the same game again when 6 months roll around until you grow a spine and put your foot down.

The ONLY way that it's a good move is if you can make yourself irreplaceable in your new double-position AND have the ability to walk for appropriate compensation after 6 months. If you do this you'll probably be occupying the double-position indefinitely so you have to make the compensation worth it over the long haul.

Get a good deal now, or don't go forward with them.
In some companies if you refuse a promotion you'll get blacklisted for any future promotions or even get fired. Those are generally bad companies to work for, but sometimes you can't easily find a new job, y'know?

Also, in some industries, it can be hard to break into management. You might consider taking the promotion without compensation to make the transition then going elsewhere to get paid.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

paradigmblue posted:

Thank you all for your insight - you've convinced me that I do need to push back a bit on this before accepting the position.

Let me know how this sounds:

"Thank you for offering me this new opportunity at [company name]. I enjoy working at [company name], and in my current role I'd like to think that I've been successful. I oversaw the opening and daily management of a 25 staff store generating 9MM in annual revenue, including performing staff development, sales tracking and inventory management. I've developed and implemented weekly wine education seminars and tasting programs that educated crowds of up to 50 attendees on wine history, regions and tasting concepts. I created the sales metric tracking workbook in coordination with Friedman Group that is now used company wide. I've written tasting notes for our private label wines used by the entire chain of 200+ stores.

Trying to Translating that success into this new role is a risk that I'm excited to take, and I'm grateful for the confidence that you place in me., but given the extra responsibilities that will result in additional hours and travel that will take me away from my family, I'd hoped that the compensation would be commensurate. Given the circumstances and my past performance, I believe a pay increase of $13,120 annually would be reasonable. If this is something the company can work with, I'd be happy to work at that rate for the first 6 months and at that point, we can sit down and review my performance in the new role against projections and a defined list of expectations."
Don't negotiate against yourself by offering back-up terms. If you're willing to accept the back-up terms, wait for a counter-offer before suggesting them. Don't hedge. Your accomplishments speak for themselves. And a 4.6% raise is peanuts for a major step up in responsibility. I don't know your industry, but I'd make a much bigger ask.

That being said, how reasonable are your managers? Would you get any blowback for negotiating?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

paradigmblue posted:

My palms got sweaty and my heart raced just getting up the nerve to hit the "send" button. I'm terrible at being assertive, so this was really hard for me. We'll see what happens.
The first time is the hardest. Each time you are assertive in the business world it gets easier to be assertive the next time. After a couple go-rounds, you're fully in the game and on a level playing field. If the stats you posted in this thread are even halfway accurate, you deserve it.

Also, your degree gets you your first job. Every job after that is earned by your previous performance. Unless you're in academia or government.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

paradigmblue posted:

Welp.

Just got off the phone with my regional manager.

The executive VP is not willing to provide any additional compensation for the position.

I now have until the end of the work day today to decide if I still want the job.

Accept it and start looking.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

You have nothing to gain and everything to lose, and pretty much no leverage to achieve anything unless you are willing to lawyer up.

Some rear end in a top hat might say it's not appropriate to this thread but a lot of what we talk about is job switching so here's my advice, having never had to deal with the terrible situation your soon to be ex-boss put you in:

Submit a resignation letter in writing. Keep it Nixonian:

"To <Direct Manager>,

Effective today, July 29th of 2016, I resign my position as <your job title>.

<Signature>
Bitchkrieg"

Have hard copy of this on your person. Say literally nothing else. Putting anything else in writing cannot help you.

Have a hard copy of your google doc on your person. If that GDoc is associated with a work account get it moved to a personal account ASAP. Do all of this before you let on to anyone that you're leaving.

Hand letter to your boss, be prepared to be escorted from the building. Refuse to discuss your reasons with him. Tell him you'll discuss why you're leaving with no notice with HR.

If and when you get debriefed by HR keep your position professional and impersonal:

- You are leaving without notice because your direct manager has created a hostile work environment.
- You have a dated record of a pattern of behavior of examples of his sexual harassment over the past 5 months.
- Your expectations are that you will receive good references from this company in the future despite leaving with no notice, in consideration of your boss's wildly inappropriate behavior.

IF they ask for the record you have a hardcopy on your person to provide them with. It is not the only copy of that document.

IF they assent get that agreement in writing.

IF they do not assent, become hostile, or otherwise adopt any position other than "Oh gently caress we can get our pants sued off! We'll agree to your reasonable demand!" then you probably want to leave and lawyer up.

Stay cool and professional, focus on this being the end of your relationship with this dysfunctional organization and that you have a new opportunity to work in a healthy place where you won't have terrible people doing and saying terrible things to you. Don't worry about arguing with them, about if your leaving is justified, or too much about them serving as a good reference for you. If they aren't cooperative, disengage and lawyer up.

edit: I strongly disagree with asur, do not stay around in a hostile environment any longer just to try and CYA legally. There is no reason for you to continue to be subjected to the abuse, and your own mental well being and health are the most important things.
I agree with all of this advice. A good reference from a person like this is completely out of the question, no matter what. Get yourself out of the abusive situation ASAP.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bitchkrieg posted:

Update: Everything went better than anticipated.

I turned my letter in to the VP, who is my boss' boss. When pressed, I said there was a documented history of harassment and my impression from my boss was that reports of harassment faced retribution. She was appalled. She apologized profusely and repeatedly asked if there was anything they could do to retain me because she sees me as one of their top employees and 'smartest people here.' She got very upset and sent my boss to another building so I could gather my things and leave. She also offered to be a personal reference and that the door is always open to return in the future; she wrote out all her personal information on her business card for future reference. I thanked her and left.

I received and accepted an offer from a new company. (Got the verbal offer yesterday, waited till I signed the agreement today to resign). Anticipate starting in ~2 weeks.

I successfully negotiated nearly 50% raise, with substantially better (fully comped) benefits and the opportunity for professional growth. Also hopefully no creeplord bosses.

As for anyone asking why I stayed so long:
I live in an at-will state and have watched multiple people be terminated apropos nothing.
This is my first professional position out of grad school and a major shift (rare books to analyst work) and I didn't want to gently caress up my first opportunity to show competency.
My boss is the person with whom I have 90% of my professional interactions and from day one, he has emphasized repeatedly the inefficacy of HR and that 'people who cause problems get fired.'
I do not have the financial solvency to just quit a job without something lined up, and I tried to use my time at this company to develop as much as I could, learn as much as possible, and otherwise plan for the 'next step.' By being patient, I managed to get a new position with great pay, excellent benefits, etc.
Congrats. You deserve it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

When you gave a range, did you phrase it as "Depending on benefits/total compensation...." Because that gives you a little wiggle-room to negotiate a bit more.

Can you decline the offer and continue working on contract without facing consequences? If yes, then you can negotiate from a position of relative strength because your BATNA is status quo. But it could be that they were under the gun when you quoted a rate to them (or the person who accepted it was looking bay area rates and not Indiana rate), and now they want to reduce that expense. If that's the case, your position is pretty weak. They know you can't go somewhere else and make the same money.

Either way, you're clearly talented at your job. Doing all the support tasks and doing them well so that engineers can be solely engineers is a valuable and rare skill. Engineers are notoriously stingy with sharing responsibility, and often reluctant to accept help. By the time you've worked for as long as you have (total career), the degree or lack-thereof is not a very big deal. Don't sell yourself short.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

solauran posted:

In essence their position is that they prefer to reward outstanding performance rather than starting at a high salary. I'm assuming that this is a fairly common stance for a company to take during salary negotiation and may not be reflective of their actual approach to handling pay raises if I were to take the job.

You're right. Everyone says this, but few companies actually do it. Don't get paid in promises.

solauran posted:

I'm still interested in the position as I feel it is a good opportunity to make the switch into software engineering, the work itself and the workplace culture sounds great, and it potentially involves an overseas relocation that would satisfy one of my career goals. So I would prefer to continue negotiating rather than walking. I see my options as being:
  • Stick to my guns. I feel that this would be the same as walking away from the negotiation.
  • Recognize that their internal range for the position is lower than expected and/or I overvalued my skillset, and counter at 110k. Based on their counter I'm not sure they'll come up this high.
  • Accept that they are not willing to come up on the initial salary, and start negotiating for other benefits (increased leave, better benefits, yearly return flights home, etc) along with getting a shorter (6-month) salary review baked into the contract to give me more frequent opportunities to ask for pay raises after proving I can do the job at a high level.

Apologies for the long post. Any advice for the next step is appreciated :)
I think a combination of #2 and #3 could work. But, what is a win in your book? What number would you be happy with?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

solauran posted:

Thanks for the the advice all :) I ended up going with a combo of #2 and #3, countered at 110k and after some to and fro we settled on 105k plus some decent relocation benefits, which I accepted. The new location (different country) has a lower cost of living and some interesting tax breaks so while I didn't get my target salary locally, once the relocation happens it looks like my net effective salary will be closer to target.

In review I could definitely have played it better (and will do so next time around) however I did get an additional 10k over their initial offer just for negotiating so I feel like that's a win.
If it makes you feel any better, you get that $10k every year for the rest of your stint at that company, and future raises will compound it if they're given in the traditional X% increase style.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah that excerpt is referred to in the title but it's only really one little paragraph of the article. I think it's completely wrong even if the rest of the article is fine. I don't know what range offers are typically negotiated in, but at least in my industry, the margins the company has to make on an employee for them to be worth keeping are way higher than any typical salary negotiation could net anyone. I'm pretty skeptical that he actually knows someone who lost their job because they negotiated their salary too high - pretty sure they would have lost their job anyway if they weren't deemed competent enough for the role.
Yeah, that's poo poo. People are more likely to view the higher paid guy as more competent so he's less likely to lose his job, all other things equal.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rizuhbull posted:

Thanks for the responses to my questions last page. Wanted to chime back in and say we agreed on a $1 raise. Was fairly painless, but more importantly, the experience of asking makes asking again in the future that much easier. I told a friend of mine and she said she's never asked. I was a bit shocked. I've also read however that women are less likely to ask for raises and that accounts for some of the reason why women are generally paid less for the same job. Obama signed link related a few years ago to combat this. But it got me thinking, what does this thread think of the taboo of not discussing wages with coworkers? Justified? None of anyone's business? A form of control? Meant to keep workers ignorant?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/04/08/executive-order-non-retaliation-disclosure-compensation-information
I think it goes both ways. People overestimate their own contributions to team successes and downplay their role in team failures. So they almost always think they contribute more than their peers. So it can be highly demotivating for people to find out coworkers make more than them. But their are also companies that put the hush on coworkers discussing salary to get away with paying poo poo.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MatildaTheHun posted:

So I'm in an odd situation that's made researching salaries on the tough side. It's an internal hire for a new position at a non-profit (a huge, really profitable non-profit), and I pretty much all but have the job already. I strongly suspect I'm the only candidate, and given the bump in responsibilities, and going from part-time wage to full time salary, I think I'm due for a substantial pay bump. The trouble is I have no idea what a good target number is, and when I look for (get a load of this job title, by the way) 'Assistant Guest Experience Manager/Manager on Duty' I mostly find jobs that are for hotels and stores with something like 10-15 people under them, where I'd have, depending on the day, 25-100 people to supervise and 5k-15k guests daily, and additional work when I'm not the MOD. I'm more looking for tactical advice, I suppose I should just wait and listen to what number they throw out then go from there?

Have you checked glassdoor.com yet?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Guinness posted:

This is pretty much exactly what you should do in this situation.

FWIW, I think the whole "never take a counter-offer" thing is entirely overblown on the internet. If you are not easily replaceable and are otherwise a valuable, professional team member, then sometimes you have to force the issue if your compensation has lagged behind the market. Turnover is extremely expensive and good companies generally want to avoid it if possible. It's not disloyalty, it's just business.
But, good companies in general are already paying the market rate. If you're far enough below the market rate that moving gets you a big raise, you're likely already dealing with unreasonable people trying to take advantage of you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

creatine posted:

So I am in this situation:

Currently work as a butcher at a major retailer making $17/hr (32 hrs normal, 8 OT every week). I recently graduated college and have been applying and interviewing for positions in my field. My research into average salary is inconsistent because the titles for positions vary widely from place to place (research assistant vs research technician vs research technologist) but overall the average seems to be at or higher than what I make. I am honestly trying to get a minimum $40k/year as that will allow me to pay bills and save a little.

How do I negotiate to get to this number? I unfortunately only got the opportunity to do one internship during school but I tried to take as many applicable classes during school that could transfer to a real lab. I've currently been trying to highlight the managerial aspects of my current job along with how the work is self driven, independent, time sensitive, etc.
It depends on where you live. Fresh research techs start at ~$16-17/hr here in the rural south. In bigger cities with higher costs of living, they start at ~$23-$25/hr. You can probably get from $17/hr to $20/hr just by asking.

Also, you may want to contact some staffing agencies to get some experience.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

johnny sack posted:

I would appreciate feedback.

Current situation:

Been with my company for 2.5 years. It's a global company. I was hired as a senior tech, after about a year promoted to engineer II. Now, a little over a year since then, I have the opportunity to take a supervisor position. Prior to this position, my salary has increased by over 30% since I started 2.5 years ago. The supervisor position would increase it from where it's currently at by another 10% or so.

Problem is, I'm not sure I want to do it. In my current role, I am the only engineer at my site who performs the type of work I do. I've performed extremely well in my role, therefore I'm likely to make senior engineer by 2017 review time (≥10% salary increase). I have had meetings with my boss's boss to ensure I'm happy and not a 'flight risk' so I believe it is very likely.

Beside the above, I really enjoy the work I do. I support the 2 groups that the aforementioned supervisor role supervises. In other words, the supervisor directs the labor/work load, identifies improvements or problems, and it's my job to create and implement or fix them.

At the end of the day, I want to be paid the most now and have the best future job security. I'm not super concerned with whether I get the 10% bump right now or in about 6 months at review. Though, if I did get the 10% bump now, I'd also get the 3% or whatever at review time.

My question isn't whether I should apply for the position or not. I already have, though I am not sure I truly want it. This is where the negotiation comes in. I'll have to interview with my boss (who pleaded with me to apply) and a couple others, and then negotiate an offer. I want to run the following by you all for feedback before I try it (or you convince me to do something else!).

I want to propose negotiating a higher title in addition to the pay raise. The next level above supervisor is senior supervisor; but there are also some employees throughout the company who are senior engineers but they have direct reports. I would be fine with either title, now or in 6 months. My position is that since I am pushing for the senior engineer position in 6 months anyway, I get the title (or senior supervisor) now. From my perspective, I'm getting something a little early. From the company's perspective, they're getting someone they want in a needed role. I believe I should get this request met because the supervisor position desperately needs to be filled - it's been open for over 3 months and everyone is sick of interviewing people.

The caveat is that my position will be vacant. I don't know how they will fill it and what I'll be expected to do in the meantime; but continue doing at least some of my current duties until my role can be back-filled.

Any feedback? I will have to take action early week.
Do you have any experience supervising other employees and directing work?

Can you go from supervisor to senior engineer directly?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

johnny sack posted:

I have supervised for about 1.5 years at a different company. Similar number of reports.

If I go the supervisor route, I believe it would be increasingly harder to get back into engineering the longer I'm out of it. In short, I don't know.
I was going to suggest asking for leadership training as part of a switch, but if you already have leadership experience, you probably don't need it.

Sounds more like a career path decision than a negotiation. Have you talked to your manager about the best path to become senior engineer? If that's your end goal, and your management is reasonable, then you should start from there and work backwards.

Edit: Also, if it is going to take them 4+ months to fill the position, and you only want to be in it for 6 months, the higher-ups are probably going to be a bit miffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sleepytime posted:

He said he didn't want everybody else threatening to quit or asking for raises.
That's complete bullshit. How is the fact he underpays other people relevant to your compensation?