Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
So there's a few viral videos floating around of colorblind people trying out Enchroma glasses and having some sort of religious experience. The test on their website tells me I'm a moderate protan, and there's a 75% chance the glasses will help me see colors, but the effects probably won't be mindblowing like in the videos. Anyone have experience with these? Worth/not worth? It seems like it'd be cool to see colors normally for the first time in my life, but slightly depressing if I were to get all excited only to find out I'm one of the 25% of moderate protans that can't be helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Squinty posted:

So there's a few viral videos floating around of colorblind people trying out Enchroma glasses and having some sort of religious experience. The test on their website tells me I'm a moderate protan, and there's a 75% chance the glasses will help me see colors, but the effects probably won't be mindblowing like in the videos. Anyone have experience with these? Worth/not worth? It seems like it'd be cool to see colors normally for the first time in my life, but slightly depressing if I were to get all excited only to find out I'm one of the 25% of moderate protans that can't be helped.

If you google, there's a Forbes article where a colourblind reporter and his brother try them out for a while and describe the effect.
They saw many brown things were actually red, but whatever "red" they perceived wasn't normal vision red because they still failed every colour blindness test even with the things on.
They saw no new colours, only more vibrant ones.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Squinty posted:

My wife bought me a pair of these for Christmas last year. The site tells me that I am a moderate deutan and there is a 90% chance that the glasses will work for me.

I've worn the glasses on and off since December and while they do make it much easier for me to pick out reds (especially when they are against a green background), it's certainly not as earth shattering as the Youtube videos make it seem. All the glasses really do is oversaturate a certain color spectrum to where reds and greens appear almost unnaturally bright. While the effect is cool (every grass field looks like Ireland tourism photos) I doubt it's really an accurate portrayal of what the colors looks like to someone with normal color vision.

If you've got 300-500 dollars to throw away, they are certainly a neat novelty. However, I wouldn't go without something for the chance at getting a pair because they aren't life changing or anything.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
They're neat and they will reveal a whole new range of pinks, reds, greens and purples. Or would, if you were red/green. It isn't accurate to normal vision and is quite hypersaturated but in a wonderfully uplifting way. The best effect comes with certain shades of purple that look grey-green without the lenses on and an imperial purple with them on. There are colours I don't really know how to describe, but that's okay. If you have the money, go for it, they're neat as hell, though don't expect them to actually help in terms of real vision.

(though, weirdly, they actually do seem to work for me on colourblindness tests about 75% of the time and the effect lingers after wearing them for a while because the brain has relearned what to view that stimuli as. I'd say the lenses are going to prompt new findings in neuroplasticity and vision studies since both effects are reported but not consistently and seem to occur more in some population groups than others, so it may be a crapshoot for some but a miracle for others.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's an article at Ars Tecnica about a guy trying them.

quote:

I first put on my glasses in the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden. Established in 1931, the historic site is filled with roses of every color—white, pink, red and many shades in between. While I can immediately perceive a change, it is difficult to put my finger on exactly what is different. Later, a friend who tries the EnChroma shades on will tell me it's as if he is viewing the world through rose-colored glasses. But in the moment, in the Rose Garden, though things certainly appear more vibrant, I am suspicious that this may just be little more than an Instagram filter I can strap to my face.

But then I get into the car.

As I pull away from the garden, glasses still affixed to my head, I wonder whether the technology will be able to help me after all. My question is almost immediately answered, as I look up to see the greenest green traffic light I've ever seen.

"Whoah!" I exclaim, immediately understanding the power of these glasses. "That’s green! That’s really green!"

For the rest of my drive from San Jose to Santa Rosa the color green presents itself to me in new and exciting ways—mostly in the form of signs overhead and on the shoulder advising me of exits and the number of miles to the next town. They are a more brilliant shade of green than I am used to, with the exception of the weather-worn ones, which even with the glasses appear nearly the same as all of the signs always have.

It's been well over a month since I first peered through the EnChroma glasses. I find that I often look forward to stepping outside into the bright daylight, as I am still occasionally surprised by a color leaping out at me in a new and unexpected way. A pair of purple pants pops and a man's hair, dyed green at a local festival, takes on an electric luster, which only disappears when I remove my specs.

For most people they don't seem to be miraculous, just helpful. How much they help appears to depend on the individual.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Trip report, for anyone who's curious. I've been wearing them for about 45 minutes, walked the dogs, took a quick drive to check out some traffic lights. And even though it's not mind-blowing and I'm not exactly seeing brand new colors or anything, but it's like someone went into photoshop and turned up the saturation on all the greens and purples in the world. Grass is almost obnoxiously green, like I'm walking my dogs in Hobbiton or something. And green traffic lights are actually green instead of white, which is nice and probably a bit safer. Pretty cool, probably nothing life altering, but worth it for me.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Squinty posted:

Trip report

How are they for TV or do you usually turn up the colour on your set? Will you keep the glasses?

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

How are they for TV or do you usually turn up the colour on your set? Will you keep the glasses?

The glasses are lightly tinted so they aren't great for indoor stuff in general, but they seem to work okay on TV/monitor screens if it's a bright enough scene. I'll probably keep them.

Squinty fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 8, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Squinty posted:

Trip report, for anyone who's curious. I've been wearing them for about 45 minutes, walked the dogs, took a quick drive to check out some traffic lights. And even though it's not mind-blowing and I'm not exactly seeing brand new colors or anything, but it's like someone went into photoshop and turned up the saturation on all the greens and purples in the world. Grass is almost obnoxiously green, like I'm walking my dogs in Hobbiton or something. And green traffic lights are actually green instead of white, which is nice and probably a bit safer. Pretty cool, probably nothing life altering, but worth it for me.

You reference to Hobbiton makes me interested, do you mean that your particular color blindness allows you to see "normally" when the content is on a monitor or tv? If so, I would be interested if you could share an image of grass that matches how bright real grass appears to you.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
It's more of a figure of speech I guess? Without the glasses I don't really notice the grass outside, but with them on I can't help but notice how green everything is.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How do you know that certain colours appear "oversaturated" if you don't know how saturated they appear to non colorblind people?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Subyng posted:

How do you know that certain colours appear "oversaturated" if you don't know how saturated they appear to non colorblind people?

Yeah man and what if, like, the color I call red is really the one you call green??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, since people without colourblindness who wear them find the same thing - hypersaturation and increased contrast - it's probably a safe way to describe it.

• Locked thread