Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:hellya:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:hellyeah:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I haven't updated to El Capitan yet because I heard it breaks things if you mess around in /usr/bin (which I do)

Also it breaks everything which depends on $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, including a ton of astronomy/astrophysics libraries. Not sure if these libraries have since added work-arounds though.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

VikingofRock posted:

Also it breaks everything which depends on $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, including a ton of astronomy/astrophysics libraries. Not sure if these libraries have since added work-arounds though.

Googling around looks like AIPS has a fix where you just symlink your dynamic libraries into a user accessible library area:
https://blogs.nrao.edu/jmalone/2015/10/05/how-to-fix-aips-under-osx-el-capitan/

Still, every update to OSX seems intent on driving physicists/astronomers away from it. They already break XCode with every release. It can never be as bad as Windows, but at some point they are going to make pure linux distros a viable alternative and it is going to be just super sad.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Stereotype posted:

I haven't updated to El Capitan yet because I heard it breaks things if you mess around in /usr/bin (which I do)

It broke serrato so my lilest bro could do his dj set at my lil bros wedding thanks Tim

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
look at all these scrubs

I still use Windows xp the best Windows os

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

look at all these scrubs

I still use Windows xp the best Windows os

how considerate, i'm sure it makes the russian botnet owners very grateful for your dedication

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Stereotype posted:

Googling around looks like AIPS has a fix where you just symlink your dynamic libraries into a user accessible library area:
https://blogs.nrao.edu/jmalone/2015/10/05/how-to-fix-aips-under-osx-el-capitan/

Still, every update to OSX seems intent on driving physicists/astronomers away from it. They already break XCode with every release. It can never be as bad as Windows, but at some point they are going to make pure linux distros a viable alternative and it is going to be just super sad.

Agreed. Most of the astronomers I know are leaning back towards Linux for their next computers.

More fundamentally, I just think SIP is kind of dumb (even though it is well-intentioned). As the administrator of my laptop, I should be able to do pretty much whatever I want with it, including writing in /usr/whatever or accessing whatever environmental variables I want. A more nuanced system, like SELinux, would be a better alternative.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Still, every update to OSX seems intent on driving physicists/astronomers away from it.

~scientific linux~

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Valeyard posted:

loving windows 10 on my touchscreen xps 15

ahhhhh, refreshing

upgrade to Windows 8.1 for a better Touch-Screen Experience.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

VikingofRock posted:

Agreed. Most of the astronomers I know are leaning back towards Linux for their next computers.

More fundamentally, I just think SIP is kind of dumb (even though it is well-intentioned). As the administrator of my laptop, I should be able to do pretty much whatever I want with it, including writing in /usr/whatever or accessing whatever environmental variables I want. A more nuanced system, like SELinux, would be a better alternative.

Most physicists still use ancient FORTRAN code on a regular basis, so whenever Apple breaks that to make things really easy and swell and abstracted for facebook game programmers we all shutter a little.

FopeDush posted:

~scientific linux~

I love linux security, which is either obscurity or nothing at all. I had to click on an actuator button in the SLAC ESA control terminal (running scientific linux) like ten thousand times (because we were mcgyvering something), so I wrote a auto-clicker linking in the Xlib library, since you don't need root permissions to compile an executable and the "mouseclick" function in Xlib is public!

You can use this to install a keylogger without root permissions too.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Stereotype posted:

makes sense, it's not like astronomers need sound to work

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Soldier of Fortran posted:

makes sense, it's not like astronomers need sound to work

Are sound issues still a thing with linuxes? I've never run into any issues but maybe I've just lucked out.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Good thing I didn't loving update, El Capitan breaks Menu Meters which would annoy the gently caress out of me

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Good thing I didn't loving update, El Capitan breaks Menu Meters which would annoy the gently caress out of me

yeah i can't imagine how you could work without having this available at all times

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Soldier of Fortran posted:

yeah i can't imagine how you could work without having this available at all times

I like the little graphs of CPU and network utilization. The memory pie is normally worthless.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

I like the little graphs of CPU and network utilization. The memory pie is normally worthless.

Just press control shift and delete and you have all this available on God's Own Operating System

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i use windows 10 and my favorite feature is how every time it forces an update it downloads a hosed up driver for my thinkpad's trackpoint that disables middle click and i have to remove it manually, and there's no way to turn that off or block the update

burning swine
May 26, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

Are sound issues still a thing with linuxes? I've never run into any issues but maybe I've just lucked out.

Yes yes a thousand times yes. Alsa still breaks compatibility with random sound cards every time it gets updated

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

i use rainmeter on winders and it's alright

can't get the network activity to only go from KB/s to MB/s and it would be nice if it fit in the miles of empty space in the taskbar but hey that's what i get for using windows

SmokyWings
Mar 23, 2009

I pitty the fool who doesn't have enough calcium in their diet.

Don't forget your
VITAMIN A & D!

*Milk from rBST FREE cows
Lipstick Apathy
Does it realy help you to know how your cpu is performing? Beyond "working good dude" or "on fire"? Like if pc be slow close some stuff. If pc be fast open stuff.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SmokyWings posted:

Does it realy help you to know how your cpu is performing? Beyond "working good dude" or "on fire"? Like if pc be slow close some stuff. If pc be fast open stuff.

PC can be slow because of swapping or HDD problems too. Like 90% of computers I look at where the user's main complaint is "It is slow" the problem is either that they have a super lovely hard drive or are swapping to it since they have 50 tabs open.

Also I use it to see when my code finishes running because I am looking at the internet for the 4 minutes it takes to run.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

i use windows 10 and my favorite feature is how every time it forces an update it downloads a hosed up driver for my thinkpad's trackpoint that disables middle click and i have to remove it manually, and there's no way to turn that off or block the update

dude go read some piracy forums and take advantage of their knowledge on how to shut that poo poo off

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
ou know you can just disable UsoSvc, BITS and wuauserv, and no updates are going to happen? This changes nothing in terms of whether you can disable updates or not.

And that's good. Because if it would, I would rip Windows Update from the system, delete the services, wipe the registry keys and incinerate the binaries. I decide when the updates are good for me. Not Microsoft.

And if I find those settings "occasionally overwritten", I'm not going to "expect" it. I'm going to eventually get fed up and leave for Linux, ending my 15 year long association with Windows.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SmokyWings posted:

i like being able to glance up at it if the computer is acting stupid for an instant "oh something crashed and is locking up a core"/eating all the ram/etc

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A Pinball Wizard posted:

And if I find those settings "occasionally overwritten", I'm not going to "expect" it. I'm going to eventually get fed up and leave for Linux, ending my 15 year long association with Windows.

The day I can't use Windows 7 anymore is probably the day I switch to Linux. Or castrate myself and become an ascetic beekeeping monk in some far-off monastery, but I repeat myself...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The day I can't use Windows 7 anymore is probably the day I switch to Linux. Or castrate myself and become an ascetic beekeeping monk in some far-off monastery, but I repeat myself...

You already can't use Windows 7?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i too insist on janitoring every moving part of my windows install, because i understand the os better than the team who wrote it, i have perfect insight into the vulns that i know how to avoid and i am an intractable autist who cannot tolerate any change to my beloved compy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

p sure those gears need to be touching eachother to make your computer engine work

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I get the deck chairs out of my computer?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

one of my coworkers randomly has our cad software and company chat client uninstalled when he gets in some mornings

he just sits down and logs in and those shortcuts are gone and starts making angry noises

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

i too insist on janitoring every moving part of my windows install, because i understand the os better than the team who wrote it, i have perfect insight into the vulns that i know how to avoid and i am an intractable autist who cannot tolerate any change to my beloved compy

ban for account sharing with hackbunny

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one of my coworkers randomly has our cad software and company chat client uninstalled when he gets in some mornings

he just sits down and logs in and those shortcuts are gone and starts making angry noises

this should be actually illegal

burning swine
May 26, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

same

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i love forced updates almost as much as i love unskippable cutscenes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

atomicthumbs posted:

this should be actually illegal

two senior ncms in the navy erased a shortcut from a desktop and were charged with loving sabotage because someone else is bad at computers

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

two senior ncms in the navy erased a shortcut from a desktop and were charged with loving sabotage because someone else is bad at computers

the article said they have texts between the two saying they were going to corrupt the db? I mean I don't doubt the military incompetence but if that's true those two are either the worst at jokes or the worst at sabotage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
my store apps are all still broken and there's no way to fix it that i can find, so i have to use google's calculator when i want to math

but on the other hand dx12 so

• Locked thread