Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768507&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post457475261

In October 1854 a dispute between the irredentist Romanian military (still nominally under the authority of the Ottoman Empire) and Ukrainian fishermen of Imperial Russia has led to fighting on a beknighted and worthless rock in the Black Sea called Snake Island. During the pointless scuffle where nothing but national pride was hurt an interesting find was made - an ancient skeleton in a rotted British naval uniform, clutching a bottle containing an intriguing note. As a noted antiquarian you have your buyers working constantly in Paris, Istanbul and Nagasaki to procure interesting finds for your collection, and as soon as this is brought to the market your agents snap it up and send it back to London for your perusal.

You resolve to seek the Island of the Unforgotten Lost, deep under Constantinople. By March of 1855 you and a few of your most trusted confidants have chartered a voyage and arrived at the harbour of Constantinople, ready to outfit an appropriate vessel, hire a crew and begin your search.

(if any of you are familiar with my CYOAs I'd be happy to run a "light" version of one here but only if you want me to, let me know and I'll do it or not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Arggh, you scurvy lily-livered land lubber count me in! I remember all too well the time me and the lads were exhausted from the exertions from our wicked excursion- we passed out into unconsciousness and slept around her reaches off the slime flow while the currents dragged us on by and we missed the blasted Island. Our chance at finding treasure is on that Island, along with her other treasures. By Poseidon's posterior, I'll do it- if only for one last chance at tryin' to find One-Eyed Willie's Long Lost Eye of... something or other. It was important, whatever the blasted thing was!

ARGH!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Splatmaster posted:

Arggh, you scurvy lily-livered land lubber count me in! I remember all too well the time me and the lads were exhausted from the exertions from our wicked excursion- we passed out into unconsciousness and slept around her reaches off the slime flow while the currents dragged us on by and we missed the blasted Island. Our chance at finding treasure is on that Island, along with her other treasures. By Poseidon's posterior, I'll do it- if only for one last chance at tryin' to find One-Eyed Willie's Long Lost Eye of... something or other. It was important, whatever the blasted thing was!

ARGH!

Captain Splatmaster, you will be represented on your quest for One-Eyed Willie's Lost Eye of...whatever it was by this surly captain, as befits your name and Cornish pirate argot:

Perhaps we will find a crew in old Constantinople. who knows what surly goons lurk around the drinking holes looking for adventure or lost treasures of their own? Should any appear you can hire on who you like - the first three will be officers of your chosing (cook, doctor, whatever), the rest will be Oarsmen.

hi how are you ♥

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
cool idea, do you have links to any of the other cyoas that you've done?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Luvcow posted:

cool idea, do you have links to any of the other cyoas that you've done?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727561

and

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741940

this will not be like those two because it would kill me to do those again right this second!

hi how are you ♥

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

oh holy poo poo i loved these but for some reason didn't realize that was you/your old user name and avatar who did them

:cripes:

me am dumb

breakfast dorito

doritos form part of a healthy breakfast (in theory) and should not be used as a primary source of nutrition (you don't tell me how to live)
can corn chips be officers?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Breakfast Dorito posted:

can corn chips be officers?

there is no historical reason why they couldn't

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
It's good that people remember who get's lost on this island but you would think they would make up a better name for it.

----------------

drilldo squirt

I mean after a while you're going to forget who got lost and then the name is just going to be silly.

----------------

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there room for a disgraced Spanish nobleman on your crew?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

drilldo squirt posted:

It's good that people remember who get's lost on this island but you would think they would make up a better name for it.

you'd think but it doesn't translate from greek all that well

hi how are you ♥

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there room for a disgraced Spanish nobleman on your crew?

the barge will hold any number of treasure hunters but the capn can tell you what your job is.

Also we've rounded up enough rowdies at the bar so we can set off. Splat, who's doing what?

hi how are you ♥

MrWillsauce

wait for meeeeeee

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Raise the mizzen mast! If there's a hatch that needs a battening down then batten that bastard! Hoist and raise the sails, we're off with the tides me hearties. Spanish Manlove, you're our ship's cook, get down in the galley and make sure it's all it can be.

Mr. Willsauce, you're our new Quartermaster. Make sure our supplies are up to snuff and we've got plenty of grog for the crew's rations, we need to stave off scurvy and rickets so make sure Mister Manlove has what he needs in the galley afore we set sail.

Drilldo Squirt, you're up in the crow's nest, prepare to yell ahoy should you see anything worth noting.

Breakfast Dorito, you're with Mr. Manlove in the galley to lend a hand. I promise my crew 3 squares and a ration of grog, make sure I don't break that promise!

I await reports from my crew...

MrWillsauce

Aye aye, capn. We got plenty of grog and hardtack, and we got some rats for protein. The ship's awful rickety down in the hold, so I'm afraid it's too late to prevent that, and we don't have any fruit. We also got some crates with bullets and stuff down here. I'd write you up a proper manifest, but I can't write or count.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

MrWillsauce posted:

Aye aye, capn. We got plenty of grog and hardtack, and we got some rats for protein. The ship's awful rickety down in the hold, so I'm afraid it's too late to prevent that, and we don't have any fruit. We also got some crates with bullets and stuff down here. I'd write you up a proper manifest, but I can't write or count.

There's a young lad in town with a mysterious and shady background and an unmistakable aura of something not quite right but he can read and write and help you with your lists. He's at the White Tailed Falcon, meet him there and come back with him. And Mrwillsauce... conduct yourself like a proper pirate while yer at the WTF, if yer takin' my meanin'

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

With any luck you're only going to be down there a day or two but it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

I'm finishing up a thing or two then i'll get stuck into the update, be prepared to cast off at 11 bells! (i don't know what time that is in CST or wherever you are)

hi how are you ♥

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

With any luck you're only going to be down there a day or two but it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

I'm finishing up a thing or two then i'll get stuck into the update, be prepared to cast off at 11 bells! (i don't know what time that is in CST or wherever you are)

It's let's see... (begins counting off using fingers) one, two three- potato? Wait, er- ARGH!

We'll leave when yer good and ready!

drilldo squirt

Hey I just saw some good anime google katangatari if you wanna see it.

----------------

breakfast dorito

doritos form part of a healthy breakfast (in theory) and should not be used as a primary source of nutrition (you don't tell me how to live)
Aye, sir! 3 square meals (not round ones) a day even if I have to scrape my own cheese dust.

Quartermaster! Bring me some salted meats! IT'S BACON TIME

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

drilldo squirt posted:

Hey I just saw some good anime google katangatari if you wanna see it.

the art style looks good but im still working through nichijou

(sorry for delays, something will happen tonight and it will go faster from tomorrow)

hi how are you ♥

breakfast dorito

That is quite alright, friend. I'm not able to yobpost 24/7 anyway

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out
Ugh

fine

I'll break my not-ever-posting rule for you, Mr. Gilganaxion.

Mr. Captain sir!

Room for a filthy squab?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

FilthIncarnate posted:

Ugh

fine

I'll break my not-ever-posting rule for you, Mr. Gilganaxion.

Mr. Captain sir!

Room for a filthy squab?

Since yer so keen on breaking rules by posting when you said you wouldn't, you get to be First Mate

MrWillsauce

capn I learned how to count up to seven on my fingers! Me quartermasterin prowess is growin' by the day. If only I had some more fingers, imagine how good I could keep track of the boxes in the hold...

anyway, I can now say with total confidence that we have THIS MANY barrels o' grog and more than THIS MANY barrels o' hardtack

breakfast dorito

do we have any chickens or am i gonna have to breed rats for chili

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

MrWillsauce posted:

capn I learned how to count up to seven on my fingers! Me quartermasterin prowess is growin' by the day. If only I had some more fingers, imagine how good I could keep track of the boxes in the hold...

anyway, I can now say with total confidence that we have THIS MANY barrels o' grog and more than THIS MANY barrels o' hardtack

Excellent! Give yerself an extra ration o' grog!

Breakfast Dorito posted:

do we have any chickens or am i gonna have to breed rats for chili

Like me 'ol pappy used ta say, why not both

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out
boom

Splatmaster posted:

Since yer so keen on breaking rules by posting when you said you wouldn't, you get to be First Mate

failing upwards

*adjusts comically oversized pirate hat*

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

March 17 1855

Captain Splatmaster has gathered some rowdies from the Rotten Cask in the Constantinople docks and has arranged for them to meet him at the harbor at 11 bells.

As the bells helpfully chime (the Ottomans allow for church bells due to a fairly progressive stance on religions other than Islam), the crew assembles before the steam barge.

The wretched-looking vessel, purchased mostly because of its shallow draft and low price, is equipped with the finest steam boiler the smiths of Constantinople could hammer together. In case of catastrophic engine failure it's also equipped with oars. The kitchen is unwholesome and cramped, the sleeping quarters waterlogged, the supplies stored on the deck and the poor bastard on the tiller has to stand next to the boiler to steer the ship. In short it's a death trap but with any luck you'll only be aboard for a couple of days.

Please christen the vessel, make any final preparations and pray to whatever gods you people believe in. Each crew member may bring a piece of equipment they think may be useful, and this should be mentioned now otherwise it will be considered left at port. We set off at midnight for find the Island!

hi how are you ♥

Android Blues

the mist-wreathed domes of constantinople are home to a reeking, half-blind mystic who is probably very bad luck to have aboard a pirate ship, but has promised to protect the crew from the evil eye if allowed aboard

(count me in!)

Android Blues

she's double bad luck because she's a woman and a wizard, but some of the bad luck is alleviated because she smells like a pirate and is willing to wear a massive false beard to mollify the crew, if necessary

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Android Blues posted:

the mist-wreathed domes of constantinople are home to a reeking, half-blind mystic who is probably very bad luck to have aboard a pirate ship, but has promised to protect the crew from the evil eye if allowed aboard

(count me in!)

Android Blues posted:

she's double bad luck because she's a woman and a wizard, but some of the bad luck is alleviated because she smells like a pirate and is willing to wear a massive false beard to mollify the crew, if necessary

Captain Splatmaster approaches the wizened Mystic with his good eye (not the lazy one, out of respect) please note: I actually have a lazy eye so please don't cook my cannonballs! and considers the possibilities of being warded by an Evil Eye.

"Welcome aboard! Bad luck is better than no luck a TALL where we be headin'. Make yerself at home, and tell us all yer name, or at least what you'll have us be callin' ye."

Android Blues

"at the fork, 'ware the sinister path," cackles the soothsayer mysteriously, before patting captain splatmaster on the back and ambling up the gangplank

MrWillsauce

look, capn, I brought me pet rock on this venture! Name o' Merlin! Been me mate fer many voyages

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
can i be a small mischievous and plucky monkey or other ship type pet?

Android Blues

it seems like most interactions with the mystic consist of her telling you to 'ware things, for which she made a pretty penny back in the slums of that ottoman port

MrWillsauce

I met this sage before. She told me to 'ware houses. I been workin' as a quartermaster ever since. Changed me life.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

March 17 1855

Captain Splatmaster has gathered some rowdies from the Rotten Cask in the Constantinople docks and has arranged for them to meet him at the harbor at 11 bells.

As the bells helpfully chime (the Ottomans allow for church bells due to a fairly progressive stance on religions other than Islam), the crew assembles before the steam barge.

The wretched-looking vessel, purchased mostly because of its shallow draft and low price, is equipped with the finest steam boiler the smiths of Constantinople could hammer together. In case of catastrophic engine failure it's also equipped with oars. The kitchen is unwholesome and cramped, the sleeping quarters waterlogged, the supplies stored on the deck and the poor bastard on the tiller has to stand next to the boiler to steer the ship. In short it's a death trap but with any luck you'll only be aboard for a couple of days.

Please christen the vessel, make any final preparations and pray to whatever gods you people believe in. Each crew member may bring a piece of equipment they think may be useful, and this should be mentioned now otherwise it will be considered left at port. We set off at midnight for find the Island!

But FIRST... I gather up my gear, consisting of maps of where we're going and the following items:

I have a magic chest that holds a lot more than it looks like it should, it's code word to open it is ARGH! Ye must be joking!

I wear pirate garb that looks shabby and rough but is comfortable and is a magic item set that has the magic power of looking shabby but being quite comfortable in the rain or snow or sleet or cold or hot or while falling overboard because I got too drunk. I also won't sweat because I'm bluffing my arse off while playing poker and other neat o things like that.

-lucky spyglass been in the pirate family for centuries. it is purported to have magic powers.

-50' of rope grappling hook

-4 maps that are rumored to lead to TREASURE

-a magic lantern that never needs fuel from a plunder er, I mean that I found somewhere

-I have a magic scimitar in my right hand that can't slip loose from my hand or be pilfered so long as I wield it and has a chance to heal me if I get hit with an edged weapon.

-In my left hand I have a dagger that talks to me sometimes and shows me odd visions that (so far) have come true. It's why we're here, and how I got this ship and became it's captain.

-I have a magic oven in the galley that doesn't need fuel and can make anything taste better. I will wait until the Captain's Banquet afore we set sail to let my galley crew know, though

-My eyepatch can see if an item is magical by seeing a glow around a magic item corresponding with it's appropriate magical power.

-My Pirate Hat has one single precious wish left

-I have a pair of magic gloves that can allow me to teleport myself plus one other person one time per week anywhere that I've personally ever been to in the last 5 years.

-My boots are +5 Elven Boots of Seamanship, which makes all my die rolls concerning being at sea +5, including combat. They also have Spider Climbing at will so I can climb all over the ship and it's rigging with ease.

-Finally, I have an Everful Cask of Brandy so my crew will never not have grog

The ship has 2 week's worth of rations that will taste great regardless, even if it's wormy and rotten and plus we're infested with an additional 2 weeks worth of live rats

The ship is of course [i]the Splatmistress
. Her reputation is one of pity and confusion, surrounded by an air of uncertainty and trepidation and one person was reputed to have stated that he was, and I quote: "afraid to look at her for too long". That's right, she is something to [i]behold and fear
!

I go to the Shrine of Calypso and ask her to take pity on my ship, everyone else does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Luvcow posted:

can i be a small mischievous and plucky monkey or other ship type pet?

Welcome aboard, yer me pet shoulder monkey!

• Locked thread