Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why is everyone assuming the nine participants in ZTD are the same nine participants in the timeline that lead to VLR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Why is everyone assuming the nine participants in ZTD are the same nine participants in the timeline that lead to VLR?

they're underestimating uchikoshi

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

curiousCat posted:

Six are supposed to die for the door to be opened. In the VLR timeline, it would seem to be Eric, Mila, Q, Carlos, Gab, and Zero. Right, wouldn't that work?

Fixed that for you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
No not poor pupper :ohdear:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Raxivace posted:

Well, Diana is a given. Sigma is a given. Junpei was part of it. I guess Akane switching in could be the a new thing, but the way she says we failed at the end of VLR would seem to point to her inclusion in all timelines.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The door could pop open upon failure, so it might be that six people DIDN'T die and that's why Radical 6 happened. Diana says six people are dead but it could just be that she thinks Akane and Junpei are dead given that the teams are all separate.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I am all kinds of fascinated by the amnesia element of this game, but it's also making me sort of apprehensive?

Like, imagine watching Memento except instead of the scenes playing out in reverse they're just randomly shuffled throughout the film

I feel like I'm going to have to play the entire game twice to even understand what happened

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Raxivace posted:

I'm strongly suspecting some kind of shenanigans with multiple test missions going on. It would explain a number of things, such as the paradox in the stated number of survivors.

Plus, it would enable a number of twists designed to screw with our minds. Like if there's multiple scenes where we overcome and unmask Zero, only to discover that he's a different person in each scene. Or if there's multiple potential people behind Q's mask(though that would be similar to what they did with K, so it'd be predictable). Or if Akane is called by her last name, Kurashiki, to hide the fact that in some of the perspectives outside of Group C she's been replaced with Santa.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Or if Akane is called by her last name, Kurashiki, to hide the fact that in some of the perspectives outside of Group C she's been replaced with Santa.

If that turns out to be Santa, I won't even know what to say.

I seriously want that "Actually, I'm Santa" line to be relevant again in some way, though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think it's cool how elegantly the need for good old blick winkel is justified, at least on a surface level. They need someone who can be present and yet remember stuff in greater than 90 minute intervals, so akane and old sigma decided to get something like that. It's certainly better than the payoff in (other game spoiler) Ever 17, which ends with a wet fart and blick falling in love with a 10 year old girl. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wyvernil posted:

I'm strongly suspecting some kind of shenanigans with multiple test missions going on. It would explain a number of things, such as the paradox in the stated number of survivors.

Plus, it would enable a number of twists designed to screw with our minds. Like if there's multiple scenes where we overcome and unmask Zero, only to discover that he's a different person in each scene. Or if there's multiple potential people behind Q's mask(though that would be similar to what they did with K, so it'd be predictable). Or if Akane is called by her last name, Kurashiki, to hide the fact that in some of the perspectives outside of Group C she's been replaced with Santa.

And all of these scenes are actually in chronological order and every possibility happened (somehow). :unsmigghh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GeneX posted:

I think it's cool how elegantly the need for good old blick winkel is justified, at least on a surface level. They need someone who can be present and yet remember stuff in greater than 90 minute intervals, so akane and old sigma decided to get something like that. It's certainly better than the payoff in (other game spoiler) Ever 17, which ends with a wet fart and blick falling in love with a 10 year old girl. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

So all of VLR was done to make some kind of Esper counter-attack contingency plan to the 90-minute interval requirements?

:stare:

That's... Pretty genius, actually. Insane, decades worth of insane, but genius.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Esper arms race escalated really fast.

Free the Soul starts off by releasing Radical 6
Crash Keys respond by sending Espers from the future who's consciousnesses were sent back in time
Free the Soul responds by using an amnesia drugs so the espers only remember 90 minute intervals
Crash Keys respond by enlisting a metadimensional being who can jump between timelines and bodies

Maybe Free the Soul was behind Chunsoft not wanting Uchikoshi to make ZTD, to stop us from intervening :tinfoil: We're ALL Crash Keys, and Operation Blue Bird was our final play.

I know it's stupid but it's fun

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Danaru posted:

The Esper arms race escalated really fast.

Free the Soul starts off by releasing Radical 6
Crash Keys respond by sending Espers from the future who's consciousnesses were sent back in time
Free the Soul responds by using an amnesia drugs so the espers only remember 90 minute intervals
Crash Keys respond by enlisting a metadimensional being who can jump between timelines and bodies

Maybe Free the Soul was behind Chunsoft not wanting Uchikoshi to make ZTD, to stop us from intervening :tinfoil: We're ALL Crash Keys, and Operation Blue Bird was our final play.

Free the Soul then hits the Nuclear Option by BSOD'ing your game, causing you to waste 50 bucks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Here's my crackpot theory: Phi is Sigma's Daughter. Why? She and K felt "a connection" and it is has been specifically stated Sigma and Phi will not be a couple.

I'm on to your game, Uchikoshi.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zero should be the son of the ninth man from 999, or someone like that.

It would be cool imo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zero is Blick.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

voltcatfish posted:

Here's my crackpot theory: Phi is Sigma's Daughter. Why? She and K felt "a connection" and it is has been specifically stated Sigma and Phi will not be a couple.

I'm on to your game, Uchikoshi.

I've seen that theory before, and it seems almost plausible if not for one minor detail; if Phi is Sigma's daughter, then how can she exist in 2028 and be almost the same age as Sigma?

The only way I could see that happening is if there are two Phis; Present Phi and Future Phi are actually two different people who time-jumped into each other's bodies because we were tricked into believing they were the same person. I had that theory for a while, based off of the fact that we never actually saw Phi in the present in VLR; that seemed to indicate that the present Phi actually looked very different from the one in the future. It's a bit trickier now that we've actually seen her in the past, though.

I could buy future Phi being Sigma's child, but what about present Phi? Who is she?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

She could be Phi's mother!

Phi can jump into her mother because she's pregnant.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This bears repeating: I feel like I'm having a schizophrenic break every time I try to speculate about Zero Escape. :psyduck:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

I could buy future Phi being Sigma's child, but what about present Phi? Who is she?

Santa? :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As for puzzle rooms, there was apparently one shown where you could switch between Diana and Phi and each had their own inventories.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Danaru posted:

I think you just spoiled the plot of ZTD for me. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

She could be Phi's mother!

Phi can jump into her mother because she's pregnant.
Man, gently caress that game, assuming it's the one I think you're referring to.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 18, 2016

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

:tinfoil:

I actually had the theory that Santa would attempt to impersonate Phi at the test site, but her design looks a bit too feminine for that theory to be convincing.

Unless Santa was a girl pretending to be a boy all along(there aren't any voice actors in 999, and "Aoi" could be a girl's name as well as a boy's name), but I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Wyvernil posted:

:tinfoil:

I actually had the theory that Santa would attempt to impersonate Phi at the test site, but her design looks a bit too feminine for that theory to be convincing.

Unless Santa was a girl pretending to be a boy all along(there aren't any voice actors in 999, and "Aoi" could be a girl's name as well as a boy's name), but I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

For some reason I thought the same thing when I first played VLR. "Oh, it's the female version of Santa"

edit: I think the worst that can happen is that Santa and Phi are related somehow. They do share some distinct facial features like the slanted eye, large forehead and white hair (and eye colour maybe?)

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 18, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Man, gently caress that game, assuming it's the one I think you're referring to.

I was thinking of Remember11, which is slightly different than what I'm describing to be fair. What are you referring to?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

I was thinking of Remember11, which is slightly different than what I'm describing to be fair. What are you referring to?
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of as well.

Hahahaha, gently caress that bathtub puzzle.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really don't want there to be a connection between Phi and Santa. Other than having white hair, they're not really very much alike, so it seems like a pointless tie-in.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah, Phi is infinitely cooler. :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can definitely agree with that. I am prepared for her to give pages upon pages upon pages of exposition again :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Diana, look at this die.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Personally I never expected this game to happen, and now that some details and a trailer are out I just can't contain my hype :allears:

I'm really excited to see how it all ends. Uchikoshi has had some time to marinate on the plot so I'm hopeful things will wrap up elegantly with some crazy-rear end poo poo along the way

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm looking forward to more quantum physics lessons with Phi, it will be great.

Also an entire new game of cat pun speech!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

alcharagia posted:

Diana, look at this die.

It is to dye for.

Waffleman_ posted:

Zero is Blick.

Zero is Wesker with his Stupid Radical-6 virus.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I wonder if Radical 6 is the result of Akane not-dying in the original Nonary game, and Zero's intentions are to kill her (and other timeline anomalies in the group) to prevent the outbreak, while she's trying to find a way for her to survive and stop the outbreak.

I kind of hope that this game doesn't have a true ending like the other ones- or if it does, it has multiple true endings that both have different, positive outcomes to it. I'm sure it'll be good regardless.

I wonder how many people are going to go for the 50% choice every time because that's the one where everyone can survive. I'd imagine there would be an ending where, because no one died and the passcodes couldn't be found, everyone ended up starving to death in the nevada testing facility.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm pretty sure the True Ending is where everyone survives and humanity is saved. Crisis averted! :v:

I hope. :ohdear:

E: If people have their memories wiped and wake up to find someone dead, there's going to be a lot of distrust and apprehension brewing...

E2: And there's already fanart:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 18, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E2: And there's already fanart:

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The twist ending is that the dog is actually the one who started the Radical-6 outbreak through a series of a wacky hijinks accompanied by laugh track.

• Locked thread