Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Aaaaanyways... Moving on.

I'm replaying/rereading 999 and I have a question:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why didn't anyone try some medical trickery to slow their heart rate to zero and then revived themselves to remove their bracelet? There is a freezer and a medical bay, it could have been worth a shot considering one of the two conditions of removing the bracelet was to have a heart rate of zero, not necessarily being dead.

Because getting your heartrate to zero and then reviving isn't the kind of thing your average person knows how to accomplish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The bracelets worked a bit differently between 999 and VLR.

In 999, it was a remote detonator that activated a bomb in your lower intestine that only came off when you either left the ship or your heart rate reached zero (in those specific words).

In VLR, the bracelet contained two drugs: first Soporil, which made you go unconscious, and then another drug I can't remember the name of which paralyzed your lungs until you stopped breathing and died. That one worked by only coming off when you die and activating if you didn't make it through a colored door in time or your bracelet points went below zero through AB voting.

I find it fascinating how "in your face" the violence and danger and the urgency in 999 was while the same was a lot more restrained and muted but still present in VLR. It was a different kind of danger.

E: Would the bomb have detonated in 999 if someone tried to cut off their left hand? If only that group had an experienced doctor or surgeon...

E2: Also of note: in ZTD, the bracelets don't seem to be used for killing the participants at all this time. So what precautions does Zero have this time to penalize the participants for trying to break the rules or avoid playing the game?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 19, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Would the bomb have detonated in 999 if someone tried to cut off their left hand? If only that group had an experienced doctor or surgeon...

I'd cite the Axe Ending as proof that it wouldn't, but it's hard to say, given that only four people in the game were actually fitted with bombs and Junpei wasn't one of them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd cite the Axe Ending as proof that it wouldn't, but it's hard to say, given that only four people in the game were actually fitted with bombs and Junpei wasn't one of them.

I know, just curious as to why people didn't try that. If it's between losing a hand or dying by explosion, well... I dunno.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I find it fascinating how "in your face" the violence and danger and the urgency in 999 was while the same was a lot more restrained and muted but still present in VLR. It was a different kind of danger.

This was actually a response to Japanese audiences not being fans of the gore in 999, so VLR toned the horror elements down and pretty much just made it straight sci-fi.

And ZTD's bringing it back. :unsmigghh:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I know, just curious as to why people didn't try that. If it's between losing a hand or dying by explosion, well... I dunno.

Stemming the flow of blood from a severely injured limb is considerably harder that most media makes it look. Even if you managed it, you'd very likely be basically incapable from blood loss/shock.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just glad to see a Zero that really is straight up antagonistic now.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Raxivace posted:

We don't know that for sure yet

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

It's just gonna be Akane again :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's the western audience, keeping the series alive

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Terper posted:

It's the western audience, keeping the series alive

And God bless our obsession with gore and violence for it! :unsmigghh:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Aaaaanyways... Moving on.

I'm replaying/rereading 999 and I have a question:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why didn't anyone try some medical trickery to slow their heart rate to zero and then revived themselves to remove their bracelet? There is a freezer and a medical bay, it could have been worth a shot considering one of the two conditions of removing the bracelet was to have a heart rate of zero, not necessarily being dead.

The problem is that you'd still have to solve the puzzles to get out and the "ship" was still "sinking". The only thing that removing the bracelet would solve is not having to strictly adhere to the door rules but once you are in the puzzle room, bracelet or no, you would need the solve the puzzle to move on or you're hosed.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

The problem is that you'd still have to solve the puzzles to get out and the "ship" was still "sinking". The only thing that removing the bracelet would solve is not having to strictly adhere to the door rules but once you are in the puzzle room, bracelet or no, you would need the solve the puzzle to move on or you're hosed.

Didn't Ace or Clover having the number 9 bracelet/multiple bracelets mean they have free reign over the ship and could go anywhere? Or were they still presumably screwed by the q door/incinerator room?

Also, was it intentional that the Ninth Man specifically have the number 9 bracelet and also get blown up? I know about him being targeted due to being a former Cradle Pharmaceuticals exec, but did he die first intentionally to set the tone of betrayal like with the Old Woman in VLR?

Speaking of which, man Japanese sure love to put business executives and especially pharmaceutical companies as villains in their media, it seems like a pretty common trope there. Not sure if this stems from the controversy around Unit 731 in WWII and many of their ringleaders transitioning into post-war medical company positions and living out their lives in peace and very wealthy and not being indicted at all for war crimes.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 19, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Didn't Ace or Clover having the number 9 bracelet/multiple bracelets mean they have free reign over the ship and could go anywhere? Or were they still presumably screwed by the q door/incinerator room?

Also, was it intentional that the Ninth Man specifically have the number 9 bracelet and also get blown up? I know about him being targeted due to being a former Cradle Pharmaceuticals exec, but did he die first intentionally to set the tone of betrayal like with the Old Woman in VLR?

They couldn't go anywhere because if they wanted to travel through a door nobody has done yet, they would be forced to solve the puzzle on the other side. If the puzzle had been solved, the bracelets would be rendered unnecessary because after sets of puzzles got solved, there was another way back that would be opened that made it so you weren't required to do the whole RED/DEAD thing to travel about. Of course, I don't remember everything so I might be wrong but I don't recall them having to do any numbered doors after solving the puzzle the first time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The weird thing about 999 is that questions about intentional/not intentional don't really enter into it. Everything was set up the way it was because Akane was exactly reproducing what she saw through Junpei during the first nonary game in order to get out of the time paradox. None of it was her idea in the first place.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 19, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Things were set up in general to let Ace be a terrible person. Of course, sometimes he was worse than other times, given that it's heavily implied that he is the one responsible for both Knife and Sub ending.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

They couldn't go anywhere because if they wanted to travel through a door nobody has done yet, they would be forced to solve the puzzle on the other side. If the puzzle had been solved, the bracelets would be rendered unnecessary because after sets of puzzles got solved, there was another way back that would be opened that made it so you weren't required to do the whole RED/DEAD thing to travel about. Of course, I don't remember everything so I might be wrong but I don't recall them having to do any numbered doors after solving the puzzle the first time.

How would they be screwed by having to solve puzzles? It's not like they are impossible with just one or two people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lareine posted:

Things were set up in general to let Ace be a terrible person. Of course, sometimes he was worse than other times, given that it's heavily implied that he is the one responsible for both Knife and Sub ending.

It was confirmed by the writer that he was.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How would they be screwed by having to solve puzzles? It's not like they are impossible with just one or two people.

There was that one puzzle that required someone to be sitting in a experiment chair for reasons. But yes, I guess it's kind of a stretch to say that they would be screwed. Puzzles still take time to solve though and time is at a premium given that the place is filling with water. My point was that even with all the bracelets, you wouldn't be able to go EVERYWHERE without any problems but people end up being able to travel around the ship with relative ease since after a puzzle area, there was usually a way back that was opened upon completing the puzzles. Nobody had to do the RED/DEAD again to go back to previous areas and rooms.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Was it even the bracelets themselves that activated the bomb? It's entirely possible the bomb would have activated even without a bracelet and the bracelet would have just been needed for deactivation. Of course, it this was the case, only some of the characters would've blown up if they'd tried it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
In retrospect, it was really dumb for people to try and murder each other in 999 and especially VLR. Although to be fair, it's hard to say that when you have at least one bad actor from the get-go, and in 999 Zero does inform people at the end of Snake's letter to "use this information to protect yourself from people who would want to hurt you," so Zero kind of eggs them on them subtly towards violence... So a moot point. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

andipossess posted:

Was it even the bracelets themselves that activated the bomb? It's entirely possible the bomb would have activated even without a bracelet and the bracelet would have just been needed for deactivation. Of course, it this was the case, only some of the characters would've blown up if they'd tried it.

At least from the start, yes. I'm replaying 999 and Zero says that the bracelets are the remote detonators that keep track of the time elapsed between the RED and DEAD switches and activate the bomb.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was confirmed by the writer that he was.

Given the flashback to the original Nonary Game, I'd say Ace was an even worse murderous psychopath than Clover ever was. He was pretty crazy about letting kids die in an incinerator for the sake of science (and money).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 19, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well in the case of VLR I think most of the malicious murdering was Dio. Alice suicided in precisely 126 timelines and Clover idioted at Luna but that particular killing didn't stick. In Clover's ending everyone suicided. Sure, Zero Jr. egged them on to go killing but Dio was the only one stupid enough to take the bait for the most part.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Something tells me that even if everything goes right in ZTD and the new timeline is created where humanity is saved, something will still go wrong at the last second as a final twist because something something "Snake! You've created a time paradox!"

Also, Snake and Santa were the coolest characters from 999 and should have came back somehow as a cameo. :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 19, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I was fond of Lotus myself. You think she's this ditzy dancer girl but nope, just a stay at home computer hacker mom that likes to dress up in exotic outfits for fun.

A stay at home computer hacker mom that was somehow smarter than the CIA Agent wearing a toilet seat cover over her boobs. :psyduck:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

In retrospect, it was really dumb for people to try and murder each other in 999

I mean, Clover genuinely mentally snaps and Ace is a giant dick with a past to keep on the lids. I wouldn't really say there was much murdering attempted all things considered.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sure, Zero Jr. egged them on to go killing but Dio was the only one stupid enough to take the bait for the most part.

Well it was all part of the plan that Dio did start killing people. He was there to disrupt the AB Game in the first place to personally redeem himself to Brother and Akane preety much foresaw that and used him to help further the espers ability to remember information more quickly through each time jump because of the sense of danger that increases better results from espers that 999 explained previously. Nothing spells more danger then a murderer wandering around, a suicide plague and bombs.

He took the bait the second he was in Mars or even knew about the AB game.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

God drat it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was fond of Lotus myself. You think she's this ditzy dancer girl but nope, just a stay at home computer hacker mom that likes to dress up in exotic outfits for fun.

A stay at home computer hacker mom that was somehow smarter than the CIA Agent wearing a toilet seat cover over her boobs. :psyduck:

Wasn't the entire reason Alice was even put in the Nonary game because she was super smart? Their abilities didn't really seem comparable in a way you could call one smarter than the other.

But yeah, I like both of them the most out of the cast. Someone who's smart enough to know how to deal with all the crazy poo poo going on is good in my book.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The man went from Two Vests McFly to a nice jacket to a goddamn bolo tie.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Momomo posted:

Wasn't the entire reason Alice was even put in the Nonary game because she was super smart? Their abilities didn't really seem comparable in a way you could call one smarter than the other.

But yeah, I like both of them the most out of the cast. Someone who's smart enough to know how to deal with all the crazy poo poo going on is good in my book.

Yeah she could do math good. I think that's also the entire reason Lotus is in 999 as well?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In the second post it goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

In retrospect, it was really dumb for people to try and murder each other in 999

To be fair, in this case it was just Ace killing people, unless you trigger the Axe Ending. Which still results from Ace's actions.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Given the flashback to the original Nonary Game, I'd say Ace was an even worse murderous psychopath than Clover ever was. He was pretty crazy about letting kids die in an incinerator for the sake of science (and money).

To be fair, Snake seems to be just as :black101: as Clover when it comes to possible sibling murder.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah she could do math good. I think that's also the entire reason Lotus is in 999 as well?

Lotus was present because her children were in the original experiment as well as her computer skills.
Alice was present because of her ability to do super computer level calculations in her head.

And to be fair, Alice is far from dumb but it's fun to poke fun at her because she makes a lot of questionable decisions in VLR out of panic... which you'd think a CIA Agent would be trained to handle but whatever. She also likes to be as rude and callous as possible at any opportunity which is why a lot of people don't like her.

That and the toilet seat boob cover.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

voltcatfish posted:

Lotus was in 999 because of predetermination. Akane saw her in that Nonary Game so she was added in that Nonary Game so that Akane could see in her that Nonary Game.

Really, that she could math good and that she was connected to the first game as well because of her kids was kind of a coincidence.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

She also likes to be as rude and callous as possible

I read "nude" and it still made sense.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
To be fair to Alice, she DID kill Zero in at least one timeline.

She still manages to only barely be the most competent SOIS agent in Rhizome-9, which considering the other one is Clover, is not a high bar.

EDIT:

Waffleman_ posted:

Ten: Wouldn't it be weird if Clover tried to hit on you to get you to betray?

Clover: I would never do that!

*5 seconds later*

Clover: *Does exactly that*

I honestly count that as a point FOR Clover, because if the player weren't guiding Sigma, he would fall for that in every timeline. :cripes: Siggy's not the smartest quantum engineer/bioroid inventor

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 20, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ten: Wouldn't it be weird if Clover tried to hit on you to get you to betray?

Clover: I would never do that!

*5 seconds later*

Clover: *Does exactly that*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Again, replaying/rereading 999, and I think the moment when Junpei reveals to everyone about Ace's Prosopagnosia and his involvement in the murders is one of the coolest in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPCGohWiRk

e: The music in 999 is really, really good, too!

• Locked thread