Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Zg5X2Ab6U

Japan is a near-simultaneous release on the 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also, I think this time the Nonary Game is going to be designed explicitly to gently caress with the time-jumping and recall abilities of the Espers. Something tells me Zero this time is someone with insider trading info on the participants/game. I'm thinking it's (VLR spoilers) Left, specifically wanting to make sure the world gets hosed over and that the Espers can't stop him; definitely an inherently villainous Zero, messing with veteran player expectations yet again by having Zero actually be a bad guy, similar to how Dio turned out to just be an rear end in a top hat.

I would think that Brother by himself might gently caress with esper abilities, since VLR established that a stronger esper can absorb the powers of weaker espers. If that person is at the test site, and they're as powerful as they're implied to be, that might be enough to limit any time-jumping shenanigans.

It's just as well, since this setup seems pretty trivial for someone with Sigma's abilities. It's just like the situation with the bomb passwords in VLR. He could just jump to timelines where people die, get the passwords, and jump to a time where everyone's still alive to input the passwords and save everyone. I don't think Zero's going to make it that easy, though. Opening the X Door might be what releases the Radical 6 virus, and the whole setup was designed to trick the participants into making that happen.

However, I suspect that the periodic memory wipes might have some connection to body-jumping abilities. Maybe it's easier to jump into someone else's body when they don't have any memories, and the memory wipes will facilitate a form of time-jumping that can get around Brother's abilities. After all, it was the amnesiac Kyle who the unknown consciousness jumped into in the VLR epilogue, and I have a strong suspicion that the protagonist(s) of ZTD will be a body-jumper. Of course, it's possible that Brother is a body-jumper too, and he might be jumping into random participants to try to force the outcome to go in his favor.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Motto posted:

High res artwork:

Why yes, I would like a new phone wallpaper, thank you.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
only the VLR timeline end would have sigma/phi/akane/junpei escape the facility alive (somehow), so really anyone could be on the chopping block for the good best ending where earth doesn't get messed up horribly;

hell even the rhizome facility could wind up not even being what it was made out to be

all of vlr could have been fake but also real in another timeline :tinfoil:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yo I've got mixed feelings about the zero escape series overall but I love the character design and Plague Doctor Zero owns bones.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NextTime000 posted:

only the VLR timeline end would have sigma/phi/akane/junpei escape the facility alive (somehow), so really anyone could be on the chopping block for the good best ending where earth doesn't get messed up horribly;

hell even the rhizome facility could wind up not even being what it was made out to be

all of vlr could have been fake but also real in another timeline :tinfoil:

Yeah, I agree that the X Door could be a crazy red herring, kind of like how in 999 (spoilers) the Q door is actually another number 9 door due to being lower-case q).

On that note, my favorite line in VLR is when Tenmyouji says "Well, now somebody's just being a smart-rear end." in response to the Q room. :allears:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Don't take this as certain, but
https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/710311420357795842

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, if that's the case, I'll just get it on PC then.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I've got my Vita watch pre-order and I'm keeping it. I honestly like playing these sorts of games on a portable. It somehow feels more intimate, and the graphics won't be that much improved on PC. I'm glad more people get to play it though - hopefully the other titles also come to Steam, with the 999 port being a proper copy of the DS version with dual screens. Hell, if they were actually able to do that with higher-quality art, it would be nice to see a 3DS version at some point.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

playing visual novels on a pc is way too exhausting

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Depends what the EU distribution will be like

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jintor posted:

Depends what the EU distribution will be like

EU distribution is supposedly digital only.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

GulagDolls posted:

playing visual novels on a pc is way too exhausting

:what:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

EU distribution is supposedly digital only.

Ugh.

There still a way for me to get an overpriced bangle though? I have a 999 and VLR one, why stop now

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
man i'm pretty excited for this game but i still can't for the life of me wrap my head around VLRs ending, even after reading it again on wikipedia :psyduck:

so sigma in VLR is actually Old Guy Sigma, despite you originally thinking that you're the young guy on the cover of the box. then you get the true ending and find out K is actually a clone of Sigma named Kyle (or Akane sometimes????) and he's the young version of sigma that old-sigma made because he had this whole morphogenic field plan to stop the virus. so i guess my question is: why does sigma not remember anything at the start of VLR? something about jumping his consciousness around with phi??

also the end of VLR had sigma and phi jump to an earlier time to a base on mars, which im guessing takes place after this 3rd game since akane mentions you failed to stop it. so do they have to conscious-jump again to get to the beginning of ZTD? what happened to junpei in all this?

also also who the gently caress are brother or left??

sorry about that wall of text

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Antoine Silvere posted:

man i'm pretty excited for this game but i still can't for the life of me wrap my head around VLRs ending, even after reading it again on wikipedia :psyduck:

so sigma in VLR is actually Old Guy Sigma, despite you originally thinking that you're the young guy on the cover of the box. then you get the true ending and find out K is actually a clone of Sigma named Kyle (or Akane sometimes????) and he's the young version of sigma that old-sigma made because he had this whole morphogenic field plan to stop the virus. so i guess my question is: why does sigma not remember anything at the start of VLR? something about jumping his consciousness around with phi??

also the end of VLR had sigma and phi jump to an earlier time to a base on mars, which im guessing takes place after this 3rd game since akane mentions you failed to stop it. so do they have to conscious-jump again to get to the beginning of ZTD? what happened to junpei in all this?

The basic story is that Old Sigma swapped consciousnesses with Young Sigma in order to change the past. So Young Sigma jumped 50 years or whatever into the future and is controlling Old Sigma's body without realizing it (since he has young-looking cyborg arms), while Old Sigma went 50 years back into the past and is controlling his own young body in order to stop whatever happened in a simulated Mars mission that released the virus. It was never on Mars, it was just an isolated facility meant to simulate the isolation of being on Mars. I kind of assumed that would be where ZE3 takes place, but maybe not.

Kyle is a clone of Sigma and kind of his son, but that's not actually important. The point was mostly that we thought we knew who was in the suit (Sigma clone) until it turns out in an alternate timeline that it was actually Akane all along. But only in that timeline: the idea was that you had changed the past (who got into the suit) through your actions in the present, which was a proof of concept for the much bigger change to the past they were trying to enact. Until the helmet was taken off, K was neither Kyle nor Akane, he had the possibility of being either which you collapsed by observing. IE: Schrodinger's Cat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, Junpei participated in the Mars simulation (which, again, is presumably what happens during ZE3) and then lived through the post-apocalyptic world until showing up in ZE2 as Tenmyouji. Well, I mean presumably his name is just Junpei Tenmyouji, but he goes by his family name to obfuscate things for the player. Quark is his adopted grandson, not really important.

Brother is the leader of a terrorist cult called Free the Soul which is supposedly behind the spread of the virus that ruins the world after ZE3 (or won't, if the time travel plan works out). Left is the cult's head enforcer and Dio is a clone of him.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Antoine Silvere posted:

It is entirely possible I am remembering it incorrectly but I believe in the epilogue for VLR where you are walking around in presumably Kyle/K's body Akane points out that the player character is neither Sigma (old or young) nor Kyle. You are a third party that is able to jump into other peoples bodies. Thus you don't know that you are actually a old man and so on.

I'll just say I am mostly looking forward to Supergreatfriend's LP of this, since his 999 and VLR ones where great.

Too bad it will be a year or two until it gets finished.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Luna is a robot that Sigma built based on his memories of a woman named Diana who participated in the Mars simulation and apparently accidentally released the virus. Luna was also Kyle's mother-figure. Diana showing up in this game is more confirmation that it's the Mars simulation revisited with time traveling Sigma.

Free Drinks posted:

It is entirely possible I am remembering it incorrectly but I believe in the epilogue for VLR where you are walking around in presumably Kyle/K's body Akane points out that the player character is neither Sigma (old or young) nor Kyle. You are a third party that is able to jump into other peoples bodies. Thus you don't know that you are actually a old man and so on.

I'll just say I am mostly looking forward to Supergreatfriend's LP of this, since his 999 and VLR ones where great.

You are Blick Winkel.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

everyone posted:

good explanations

ah i see, thanks everyone! that clears everything up. didn't know about the diana/luna thing, that's a nice touch. now i get to wait for this game to arrive like the rest of you :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really like that first trailer and don't like casting Mercer to replace Baker, but whatever, I'm actually pretty excited for this game.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Baal posted:

I don't really like that first trailer and don't like casting Mercer to replace Baker, but whatever, I'm actually pretty excited for this game.

Actually Baker and Mercer are the same person.

It's true.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Japanese VA is stacked so I'll be using that anyways rather than the English dub.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Actually Baker and Mercer are the same person.

It's true.

I'm still waiting for the game that ousts Baker as a primordial being who is all of the voice actors

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Baal posted:

I'm still waiting for the game that ousts Baker as a primordial being who is all of the voice actors

I would have given Steve Blum that title tbh

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wait we are being cordial and that's not right.

gently caress you Baal you suck

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ah yes, the ten lines Baker just sorta read off the script really cemented him as Sigma :geno:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idgaf about Baker returning to voice him, I care that Matt Mercer is being used to replace him because they sound kinda similar

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I guess the Steam release will be delayed by at most a couple days considering the simultaneous release in Japan. I'll definitely get it on PC so I don't have to hunch over a dumb portable for hours.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What voiced lines did Sigma actually have again?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He had his (I guess we're spoiler tagging this) old man projection near the end of the game who had a different Va probably, Kyle's lines, and the little anime thing they did to hype up the game near release where he actually voices Sigma.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 17, 2016

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

littleorv posted:

The Japanese VA is stacked so I'll be using that anyways rather than the English dub.

Same. Being a nasty European, I'm not used to the American voices at all.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Free Drinks posted:

This part confused me about VLR.

What was the point of that BEGINNING or END sequence? How will this ? character presumably fit into ZTD? If the in-game character for ? is neither Kyle nor Sigma, then what are they in-game? Or is it blatant fourth wall breaking that Phi and Akane are able to talk to ?/the Player directly?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This part confused me about VLR.

What was the point of that BEGINNING or END sequence? How will this ? character presumably fit into ZTD? If the in-game character for ? is neither Kyle nor Sigma, then what are they in-game? Or is it blatant fourth wall breaking that Phi and Akane are able to talk to ?/the Player directly?

I'm pretty sure that it was the last thing you suggested.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The Zero's Escape director basically used that exact plot device before so it's not entirely unexpected.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Zero's Escape director basically used that exact plot device before so it's not entirely unexpected.

Yep. He sure did. Man that game's final route was a trip.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I keep thinking about that line “Fate doesn’t really make sense, you know. One snail could bring about the end of the world.” Zero says, there was a similar line in MGSV which was referring to the Green-banded broodsac which takes over the snail and gives it the uncontrollable urge to stay out in the open or on high places, so they get killed and gives the parasite the opportunity to reproduce. Considering this game is also about a potentially world ending disease that causes the host to kill themselves... :ohdear:

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Given that this thread is about ZTD instead of VLR, do we really need to be spoiler tagging stuff about VLR? I would say no, but just in case, here are some thoughts on the "schrodinger's box" nature of Rhizome 9 that I haven't read elsewhere:

I don't think it is an accident that the test site is for a manned mission to Mars and that the planet that the VLR characters see in the ending is bright red. I expect that at some point there will be a big twist that the planet isn't actually the Earth turned red after an apocalypse, but rather the planet Mars itself. This still allows the future of VLR to occur even if the Radical 6 outbreak is prevented, since none of the VLR characters are actually sure if they are in orbit around Earth or Mars. In a timeline where the outbreak is prevented, the Rhizome 9 facility is set up in orbit around Mars (tricky, since Deimos and Phobos would both have much lower gravity than the moon, but still possible), while in the timeline with the Radical 6 outbreak, the facility is set up on Earth's moon. The location of the Rhizome 9 facility isn't finalized until the characters actually observe it.

Also, some thoughts on the "termite mound" monologue in VLR:

It seems to me that the speech the recording of Old Sigma gives hasn't really been referenced in the main plot line yet. When he talks about many individuals working together to reach a higher goal, my guess is that it is to plant a seed in young Sigma for an eventual plan that uses the morphogenetic field to impact all of humanity in some way. For example, maybe the Radical 6 outbreak is used to prime all of humanity to slingshot their consciousness to an alternative timeline where the world hasn't gone to poo poo. Thus the Radical 6 outbreak is needed to avoid the negative consequences of the apocalypse caused by Radical 6. This sort of weird circular dependency seems to be the sort of thing the author has gone for in other games, and I can't see any other way that the termite speech really ties into the other events of VLR, since the game is focused on individual consciousness transfers rather than collective action.

Danaru posted:

I keep thinking about that line “Fate doesn’t really make sense, you know. One snail could bring about the end of the world.” Zero says, there was a similar line in MGSV which was referring to the Green-banded broodsac which takes over the snail and gives it the uncontrollable urge to stay out in the open or on high places, so they get killed and gives the parasite the opportunity to reproduce. Considering this game is also about a potentially world ending disease that causes the host to kill themselves... :ohdear:

On the nature of Radical 6 and why the virus was released: Near death experiences cause timeline hopping, and the terrorist movement is called "Free the Soul". What if the Radical 6 outbreak is designed to cause humans with esper powers to jump their consciousness to another timeline to "free their soul" by attempting to kill themselves? Radical 6 makes you want to kill yourself and also slows down your perception of time, making it easier to consciousness hop - those than get the disease who have the power to do so are thus prompted to leap into other timelines by the suicidal experience. Those that can't hop timelines, well, maybe the terrorists don't care about non-espers?

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 17, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now I don't know whether to get ZTD on 3DS or Steam. I guess if I got it on 3DS, I'd never have to put it down.

But man, the thought of hooking up an HDMI to my laptop and playing Zero Escape on my TV....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
this is not likely to be a game where blowing up the modeling will end well, graphically

• Locked thread