Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It does give me a heavy Telltale Games vibe, especially from their Walking Dead series.

Also, I think this time the Nonary Game is going to be designed explicitly to gently caress with the time-jumping and recall abilities of the Espers. Something tells me Zero this time is someone with insider trading info on the participants/game. I'm thinking it's (VLR spoilers) Left, specifically wanting to make sure the world gets hosed over and that the Espers can't stop him; definitely an inherently villainous Zero, messing with veteran player expectations yet again by having Zero actually be a bad guy, similar to how Dio turned out to just be an rear end in a top hat.

3 months is too far awaaaaaaay, gently caress. :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I never finished VLR. I spent...god knows how many hours, I had done most of the various paths, I put it down, never picked it up, and lost my Vita. SO I don't wanna buy it again and do the whole fifteen hours of dialog and stuff over. Let me spoil what I knew and you guys tell me if I'm better off just spoiling myself on youtube.

Obviously major VLR spoilers here:

So as I recall there's a plague that wipes out mankind and the whole point of this experiment appears to basically be trying to solve the apocalypse after it happens, utilizing the Nonary Game to do whatever those weird time shennanigans are to bring that info to the past. The old man is Junpei from the first game all aged up, and presumably the woman whose corpse we find is June. Alice and Clover were put into suspended animation and I don't even remember what Quark's deal was. I know the man in the mask looks like the main character, who I assume is a life-like robot who only thinks he is human.

Since it's been about a year since I played the game last, I'm probably misremembering or misinterpreting what I knew.

Don't click this if you don't want to be totally spoiled:

(Massive VLR spoilers)

K is actually alternatively Kyle, a clone of Dr. Sigma Klim, and June/Akane, depending on whether or not the Old Woman was killed by Dio because of quantum physics Schroedinger's Cat fuckery.

Also, based on that trailer, ZTD is going to be loving dark as hell. Q, the kid in the mask, can be killed by traps. :stare: This game is going to be pushing the boundaries of the M rating pretty drat hard (and that's just from the first trailer)!

I'm sure his true identity is going to be a massive plot piece/twist, calling it now. I don't think the game is far enough in the future to include GAULEM trickery either.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 17, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

lotus circle posted:

Also to those who don't want to pay 20 bucks for 999: if you have an iPad, 999 is available on the app store for like 5 bucks. No puzzle components, but the story is there otherwise if you wanna just read it Visual Novel style.

I went ahead and bought it for iOS. Jazzed to play (well, read) through 999 again! :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Two details that strike me as interesting:

1. Zero is an active participant this time around.

2. The bracelets are not the killing component this time around; the participants are (albeit at the behest of Zero and/or anyone who goes psycho in this one). It's yet to be seen if the amnesiac drug is still Soporil, though.

Also an important note related to VLR True End spoilers Akane is with you (i.e. Post-ZTD events Sigma) who informs you that your arms were cut off due to deadly traps and your arms were replaced. The mission failed and they are watching the world get blown the gently caress up.

This means, at least in one ending for ZTD, Sigma and Akane managed to escape despite failing their mission to save humanity. But Phi and company are also rescued to be sent to the Moon. Presumably the bomb shelter they witness the apocalypse from is the same setting for ZTD. Curious. Not sure what else to say beyond this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NextTime000 posted:

only the VLR timeline end would have sigma/phi/akane/junpei escape the facility alive (somehow), so really anyone could be on the chopping block for the good best ending where earth doesn't get messed up horribly;

hell even the rhizome facility could wind up not even being what it was made out to be

all of vlr could have been fake but also real in another timeline :tinfoil:

Yeah, I agree that the X Door could be a crazy red herring, kind of like how in 999 (spoilers) the Q door is actually another number 9 door due to being lower-case q).

On that note, my favorite line in VLR is when Tenmyouji says "Well, now somebody's just being a smart-rear end." in response to the Q room. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, if that's the case, I'll just get it on PC then.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jintor posted:

Depends what the EU distribution will be like

EU distribution is supposedly digital only.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Free Drinks posted:

It is entirely possible I am remembering it incorrectly but I believe in the epilogue for VLR where you are walking around in presumably Kyle/K's body Akane points out that the player character is neither Sigma (old or young) nor Kyle. You are a third party that is able to jump into other peoples bodies. Thus you don't know that you are actually a old man and so on.

I'll just say I am mostly looking forward to Supergreatfriend's LP of this, since his 999 and VLR ones where great.

Too bad it will be a year or two until it gets finished.

This part confused me about VLR.

What was the point of that BEGINNING or END sequence? How will this ? character presumably fit into ZTD? If the in-game character for ? is neither Kyle nor Sigma, then what are they in-game? Or is it blatant fourth wall breaking that Phi and Akane are able to talk to ?/the Player directly?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nate RFB posted:

I strongly feel VLR spoiler tags are not needed. Who is jumping into ZTD without knowing what the deal is with VLR?

To be fair, Uchikoshi/Spike Chunsoft explicitly stated they wanted ZTD to be accessible to players new to the series in a recent interview.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Color Printer posted:

I still can't believe it's coming out in June. I'm not completely convinced any of this is real

It's actually going to be the trigger that sends our consciousness back into the past before 999 was released.

Change the future! Change the past! Find a way out!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wyvernil posted:

I'm strongly suspecting some kind of shenanigans with multiple test missions going on. It would explain a number of things, such as the paradox in the stated number of survivors.

Plus, it would enable a number of twists designed to screw with our minds. Like if there's multiple scenes where we overcome and unmask Zero, only to discover that he's a different person in each scene. Or if there's multiple potential people behind Q's mask(though that would be similar to what they did with K, so it'd be predictable). Or if Akane is called by her last name, Kurashiki, to hide the fact that in some of the perspectives outside of Group C she's been replaced with Santa.

And all of these scenes are actually in chronological order and every possibility happened (somehow). :unsmigghh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GeneX posted:

I think it's cool how elegantly the need for good old blick winkel is justified, at least on a surface level. They need someone who can be present and yet remember stuff in greater than 90 minute intervals, so akane and old sigma decided to get something like that. It's certainly better than the payoff in (other game spoiler) Ever 17, which ends with a wet fart and blick falling in love with a 10 year old girl. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

So all of VLR was done to make some kind of Esper counter-attack contingency plan to the 90-minute interval requirements?

:stare:

That's... Pretty genius, actually. Insane, decades worth of insane, but genius.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Danaru posted:

The Esper arms race escalated really fast.

Free the Soul starts off by releasing Radical 6
Crash Keys respond by sending Espers from the future who's consciousnesses were sent back in time
Free the Soul responds by using an amnesia drugs so the espers only remember 90 minute intervals
Crash Keys respond by enlisting a metadimensional being who can jump between timelines and bodies

Maybe Free the Soul was behind Chunsoft not wanting Uchikoshi to make ZTD, to stop us from intervening :tinfoil: We're ALL Crash Keys, and Operation Blue Bird was our final play.

I know it's stupid but it's fun

Free the Soul then hits the Nuclear Option by BSOD'ing your game, causing you to waste 50 bucks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This bears repeating: I feel like I'm having a schizophrenic break every time I try to speculate about Zero Escape. :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm pretty sure the True Ending is where everyone survives and humanity is saved. Crisis averted! :v:

I hope. :ohdear:

E: If people have their memories wiped and wake up to find someone dead, there's going to be a lot of distrust and apprehension brewing...

E2: And there's already fanart:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 18, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The twist ending is that the dog is actually the one who started the Radical-6 outbreak through a series of a wacky hijinks accompanied by laugh track.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nDafqdH9o

I'm sure someone already made this joke.

No, no, not the mastermind, just a family sitcom Urkel-style of goofs. It's different, you see? :v:

Now I'm imagining Zero saying "Did I do thaaaaat?"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm slightly disappointed we have a dog friend instead of a cat friend. Because the latter would prompt more quantum physics lessons with Phi and more terrible cat puns from Sigma.

Seriously those were some of the best parts of VLR.

I agree, dog friends are pretty ruff.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Why? Just... Why?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Aaaaanyways... Moving on.

I'm replaying/rereading 999 and I have a question:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why didn't anyone try some medical trickery to slow their heart rate to zero and then revived themselves to remove their bracelet? There is a freezer and a medical bay, it could have been worth a shot considering one of the two conditions of removing the bracelet was to have a heart rate of zero, not necessarily being dead.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The bracelets worked a bit differently between 999 and VLR.

In 999, it was a remote detonator that activated a bomb in your lower intestine that only came off when you either left the ship or your heart rate reached zero (in those specific words).

In VLR, the bracelet contained two drugs: first Soporil, which made you go unconscious, and then another drug I can't remember the name of which paralyzed your lungs until you stopped breathing and died. That one worked by only coming off when you die and activating if you didn't make it through a colored door in time or your bracelet points went below zero through AB voting.

I find it fascinating how "in your face" the violence and danger and the urgency in 999 was while the same was a lot more restrained and muted but still present in VLR. It was a different kind of danger.

E: Would the bomb have detonated in 999 if someone tried to cut off their left hand? If only that group had an experienced doctor or surgeon...

E2: Also of note: in ZTD, the bracelets don't seem to be used for killing the participants at all this time. So what precautions does Zero have this time to penalize the participants for trying to break the rules or avoid playing the game?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 19, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd cite the Axe Ending as proof that it wouldn't, but it's hard to say, given that only four people in the game were actually fitted with bombs and Junpei wasn't one of them.

I know, just curious as to why people didn't try that. If it's between losing a hand or dying by explosion, well... I dunno.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Terper posted:

It's the western audience, keeping the series alive

And God bless our obsession with gore and violence for it! :unsmigghh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

The problem is that you'd still have to solve the puzzles to get out and the "ship" was still "sinking". The only thing that removing the bracelet would solve is not having to strictly adhere to the door rules but once you are in the puzzle room, bracelet or no, you would need the solve the puzzle to move on or you're hosed.

Didn't Ace or Clover having the number 9 bracelet/multiple bracelets mean they have free reign over the ship and could go anywhere? Or were they still presumably screwed by the q door/incinerator room?

Also, was it intentional that the Ninth Man specifically have the number 9 bracelet and also get blown up? I know about him being targeted due to being a former Cradle Pharmaceuticals exec, but did he die first intentionally to set the tone of betrayal like with the Old Woman in VLR?

Speaking of which, man Japanese sure love to put business executives and especially pharmaceutical companies as villains in their media, it seems like a pretty common trope there. Not sure if this stems from the controversy around Unit 731 in WWII and many of their ringleaders transitioning into post-war medical company positions and living out their lives in peace and very wealthy and not being indicted at all for war crimes.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 19, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

They couldn't go anywhere because if they wanted to travel through a door nobody has done yet, they would be forced to solve the puzzle on the other side. If the puzzle had been solved, the bracelets would be rendered unnecessary because after sets of puzzles got solved, there was another way back that would be opened that made it so you weren't required to do the whole RED/DEAD thing to travel about. Of course, I don't remember everything so I might be wrong but I don't recall them having to do any numbered doors after solving the puzzle the first time.

How would they be screwed by having to solve puzzles? It's not like they are impossible with just one or two people.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
In retrospect, it was really dumb for people to try and murder each other in 999 and especially VLR. Although to be fair, it's hard to say that when you have at least one bad actor from the get-go, and in 999 Zero does inform people at the end of Snake's letter to "use this information to protect yourself from people who would want to hurt you," so Zero kind of eggs them on them subtly towards violence... So a moot point. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

andipossess posted:

Was it even the bracelets themselves that activated the bomb? It's entirely possible the bomb would have activated even without a bracelet and the bracelet would have just been needed for deactivation. Of course, it this was the case, only some of the characters would've blown up if they'd tried it.

At least from the start, yes. I'm replaying 999 and Zero says that the bracelets are the remote detonators that keep track of the time elapsed between the RED and DEAD switches and activate the bomb.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was confirmed by the writer that he was.

Given the flashback to the original Nonary Game, I'd say Ace was an even worse murderous psychopath than Clover ever was. He was pretty crazy about letting kids die in an incinerator for the sake of science (and money).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 19, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Something tells me that even if everything goes right in ZTD and the new timeline is created where humanity is saved, something will still go wrong at the last second as a final twist because something something "Snake! You've created a time paradox!"

Also, Snake and Santa were the coolest characters from 999 and should have came back somehow as a cameo. :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 19, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

God drat it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Again, replaying/rereading 999, and I think the moment when Junpei reveals to everyone about Ace's Prosopagnosia and his involvement in the murders is one of the coolest in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPCGohWiRk

e: The music in 999 is really, really good, too!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of which, is there an archived 999 Games thread here on SA? I've seen it mentioned, but I can't seem to find it with Search + Archives upgrades. :( I'd like to see some of the original reactions to moments in the game.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

Check out http://lparchive.org There should be a link to the thread in there?

Oh, I've read the Let's Play. Just wondering if there's still a Games thread with posts about "Holy poo poo the Ninth Man loving blew up! :aaaaa:"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ledgy posted:

Maybe you could read through the LP's thread, then.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527266

That works, thanks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've admittedly been trying to push votes towards K or Sigma's Endings, just for the WTF factor of both.

I rewatched the Sigma ending; and yeah, what VLR reduced in terms of direct physical violence/gore, it absolutely made up for in sheer psychological horror.

E: I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but the scanners/cranks in some of the doorways in VLR is absolutely a visual throwback to the REDs of 999.

E2: Why on earth (:v:) would K break Dio's bracelet in K's ending and doom them all to die? Was he suicidal?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 20, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That's precisely it. It was an emotional test of sorts even though K knew that this Sigma wouldn't know who he was at all, he still wanted to see if maybe his dad would pay him some attention in some way or another. Of course, it didn't happen that way.

The sad part is during that whole spectacle is Sigma does give real consideration to using the antidote on K but realizes he wouldn't be able to because of the armor on him. :smith:

Being locked in a suicide pact is a really strange way of getting attention from daddy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Looking back, I think the writing was a lot better in VLR than in 999. There are times in 999 when the writing is good and compelling, like with the Ace interrogation scene, but there are times when it's pretty bad like when Santa and June go on a lengthy tangent about Ice-9 when they are all supposed to be freezing to death in a freezer. It's really unnatural feeling, even with the suspension of disbelief about morphogenetic fields already.

At least with VLR the pseudo-science tangents were immediately relevant and intriguing rather than distracting and arbitrary. 999 was best when describing tense scenes of being blown up or murdered than when it takes a detour to talk about pseudoscience or bad puns or awkward sexual tension.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 22, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lareine posted:

Remember when Junpei, Santa and June were all stuck in a freezer freezing to death and Santa and June start talking about ice-9 like they weren't in a time-sensitive situation?

It wouldn't have been nearly so bad if they just focused immediately on escaping, THEN talked about "hey that dry ice reminded me of ice-9" once they got out of the freezer and had time to chitchat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Raxivace posted:

I think what we've all learned here is that Kojima and Uchikoshi need to make a game together.

If it's anything like Silent Hills, though, Konami will find a way to ruin it and cancel the project prematurely. :sigh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

voltcatfish posted:

"In terms of the level of violence originally we were going for a CERO D rating which is 17 and over. We realized that with those restrictions we wouldn’t get the same visual and emotional impact we wanted so at the end of the day we went with a CERO Z rating, which is the highest rating in Japan." -Uchikoshi

drat, it is actually going to be CERO-Z. Isn't that going to tank its sales?

Is that the equivalent of AO in Japan? It seems like explicit violence over there is like what explicit sex is here in America in games.

(On second thought, they do sell ero-games over there, so maybe the comparison isn't exactly apples to apples.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

the truth posted:

This is going to be some crazy poo poo. Hopefully it's not a ridiculous amount of gore for shock value, and just the realistic-ish aftermath of whatever traps are in effect.

Sigma's eye and arms are definitely going to be cut off, so I guess we'll see!

E:

How did I just notice this? :stare:

• Locked thread