Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I keep thinking about that line “Fate doesn’t really make sense, you know. One snail could bring about the end of the world.” Zero says, there was a similar line in MGSV which was referring to the Green-banded broodsac which takes over the snail and gives it the uncontrollable urge to stay out in the open or on high places, so they get killed and gives the parasite the opportunity to reproduce. Considering this game is also about a potentially world ending disease that causes the host to kill themselves... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only way to prevent Radical 6 from happening is to send our consciousness back in time and prevent Zero Time Dilemma from coming out, so the mars test site disaster never happens. But can we make such a sacrifice

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My big dumb theory is that Dashiel Gordain is Brother and is also All-Ice (or is at least full of Ice-9), which means he can just stand in a fridge and cryofreeze himself, explaining why Free The Soul existed back in the 1800s despite their founding leader still existing in the future to order the Myrmidons to screw up the Crash Keys' nonary game. I also think this Zero might be him since this game seems to be built specifically to gently caress up Espers with the whole 90 minute thing.

I'm pretty sure Uchikoshi's turned me into an aluminum foil hat wearing moron :shepface:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Raxivace posted:

Guys D.C. Douglas is implying he might be in the English dub.

Therefore it may be the best dub.

I had to look him up to see who he was, and Wikipedia already has him listed as voicing Zero :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CottonWolf posted:

That phrasing always sounded weird to me, so I assumed that that was just Ushikoshi throwing vague, so he could decide later if he wanted Junpei in 3. It very specifically doesn't say whether he was onsite or in the monitoring station. Also, I assume Monitoring Station-man will be an external character that we can interact with in 3, Diana definitely calls him at the end of whatever happens on the test site.

I wouldn't count on it, Diana made that call at the end of the simulated Solar Conjunction, which can last for two weeks. That's two solid weeks of radio silence for Zero to go ham on the participants

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
No not poor pupper :ohdear:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The door could pop open upon failure, so it might be that six people DIDN'T die and that's why Radical 6 happened. Diana says six people are dead but it could just be that she thinks Akane and Junpei are dead given that the teams are all separate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Esper arms race escalated really fast.

Free the Soul starts off by releasing Radical 6
Crash Keys respond by sending Espers from the future who's consciousnesses were sent back in time
Free the Soul responds by using an amnesia drugs so the espers only remember 90 minute intervals
Crash Keys respond by enlisting a metadimensional being who can jump between timelines and bodies

Maybe Free the Soul was behind Chunsoft not wanting Uchikoshi to make ZTD, to stop us from intervening :tinfoil: We're ALL Crash Keys, and Operation Blue Bird was our final play.

I know it's stupid but it's fun

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As much as it sucks for Carlos and Diana being an awkward third wheel to two people who know way more than them, I feel really bad for Q for being stuck with two complete loving nutbars (considering Eric slinging around a shotgun like a loving idiot, and Mira being soaked in blood and smiling in the trailer)

Poor kiddo :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
To be fair to Alice, she DID kill Zero in at least one timeline.

She still manages to only barely be the most competent SOIS agent in Rhizome-9, which considering the other one is Clover, is not a high bar.

EDIT:

Waffleman_ posted:

Ten: Wouldn't it be weird if Clover tried to hit on you to get you to betray?

Clover: I would never do that!

*5 seconds later*

Clover: *Does exactly that*

I honestly count that as a point FOR Clover, because if the player weren't guiding Sigma, he would fall for that in every timeline. :cripes: Siggy's not the smartest quantum engineer/bioroid inventor

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 20, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In MGS2, the Patriot AI gives a ten minute speech about memes and japanese WW2 planes while Solidus is actively swiping his sword at you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Volgin also tried to root out the spy in his midst, who was everyone except Granin. Seriously, everyone else was a spy keeping tabs on Volgin or rusing him to some end.

Volgin concluded that Granin must be the spy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had someone ask me if ZTD was a sequel or a prequel and I honestly still don't have an answer for them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Clarste posted:

Keep in mind that the entire point of VLR was that we're going back in time to change history. It's not supposed to be a consistent time loop. If things end up the same way then we'll have already failed.

After every bad ending in ZTD, replay the entirety of VLR to keep the loop closed

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't own a Vita, so I only got to enjoy the first DR game in LP form, but it was a fun ride :v: So was all the internet drama it caused

Chihiro was a tough favourite character to have :smith:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 1, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Davincie posted:

poor 3ds....

...:smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly think Uchikoshi could out-ruse Kojima

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 10, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[img]http://lpix.org/2434496/e76da47d783449a4946996f92daa1058[1].png[/img]

Well that's interesting

EDIT:

[img]http://lpix.org/2434497/1058d22280404b4c9271d0618c1bedbb[1].png[/img]

Hoo boy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Junpei Hyde posted:

It could just be that Akane was given the memory wiping drug, which would also explain Junpei as Tenmyouji not remembering all that time him and Akane spent on fake Mars.

Also why post test site Sigma didn't write a letter to his VLR self that said "dear Sigma shoot any plague doctors on sight also you're welcome for the poster in the crew quarters"

Honestly the anti esper juice is astonishingly competent all things considered

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

IceBorg posted:

So everyone besides the dog......well knowing this series twists you might also hate the dog at some point.

This is the one series where "The Dog is Zero" could honestly be true. I'm not ruling anything out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think Carlos is a cool dude, and hopefully isn't Zero. Uchikoshi also went out of his way to purposely break the letter of all of Knox's rules while following the spirit of them in VLR though, so honestly nothing is off the table.

Also while I hope Junpei is less Shadow the Hedgehog than he looks, I maintain Akane Kurashiki did nothing wrong :colbert:

GeneX posted:

There is no scenario possible that would result in me hating the dog.

If there isn't a sequence where we jump into the dog and save the world as Gab, I'll consider it a lost opportunity

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Momomo posted:

I kinda forget, what DOES Sigma do that she can't? From what we saw by the end of VLR, she has near god-like abilities as far as jumping goes.

IIRC Akane can only see other timelines, she can't jump or interact with them until she physically reaches that moment in time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Paul Zuvella posted:

They have multiple breaks that are literally hours long that they spend doing almost nothing multiple times during the course of that game.

And that's not even getting to the fact that he has a goddamn robot eye that is raised like half an inch off his face that he never once notices or touches or anyone comments on.

One of the other participants is a mechsuit, captain eyeclops probably looks normal to them comparatively

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So in the past week and a half, I finally played through 999 and then VLR. I just finished the true ending of VLR and got the Platinum Trophy.

I don't even know how to process the last few hours of VLR. My head hurts just thinking about it.

Now imagine there being a two year long period where all signs pointed to there never being a third game :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The models look a little silly at times (especially Diana's :stonk: face), but I'm sure I'll get used to them. I only watched a little of the gameplay video but I hope it's still a VN style "press a button to continue the line" thing instead of straight up cutscenes :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Capsaicin posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. Who is in Sigma's body during ZTD?

Old Sigma. At the beginning of VLR, when Siggy gets gassed, Old Sigma's conciousness is transferred there, punting Young Siggy's conciousness to the future to play out VLR.

This entire series plays out like the most convoluted Who's On First joke

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Waffleman_ posted:

But what if one of the testers....WAS AMONG US?

I knew because they knew

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just found out that Amazon won't ship the watch edition to my location. It hasn't told me this since I pre-ordered last July.

Looks like I'm just buying it on e-shop. :sigh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

NeuroticLich posted:

I might be crazy, but I seem to recall there being a 3DS game that had 3D up until a certain point where the PC lost an eye or something. If I didn't just hallucinate that, it wouldn't be the first time someone pulled that gimmick!

MGS3 I believe.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Chill and Rigor is another really good one. VLR also had bluebird's lament which is only matched by Morphogenic Sorrow for blowing everything else out of the water though

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nate RFB posted:

It's basically an Empire Strikes Back ending, I was perfectly OK with it/pumped in general when it went down. The problem was when it became obvious that a sequel wasn't going to come any time soon.

year199X posted:

The ending is kind of cool now that a sequel exists, previously all it did was make people sad.

These are both my exact feelings on VLR's ending

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Spoiler Free: The ending falls over itself so desperately to have a twist, and in doing so creates so many unjustified plot holes.

To be fair, people said VLR had tons of plotholes for a while after release until people started really thinking about it :ssh:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

One room in particular is a lovely hidden object game that ends with you memorizing a pattern of eight things and then it says FINISHED.

Since these rooms lead to no actual thought or discovery, it's REALLY frustrating that there are more than one of them.

This makes me sad to hear :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone know what time Nintendo's e-shop updates? I was hoping to start downloading before work :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vaguido posted:

The graphics looked kinda janky to me at first, but I got used to it.

I really like the departure from a visual novel the cinematics have taken. It's nice to see people walking around and doing stuff while they talk instead of 5 static images they use the whole game. I like an old school VN, but it's a bit refreshing to see after the first two games, I think.

My only real complaint from a performance perspective is audio balancing. I'm on 3DS and using headphones for reference, but it seems the dialogue audio is too quiet compared to the music. Zero's English VA is the worst offender. Sometimes I really need the subtitles to understand what the gently caress he's saying.

You can adjust the volumes manually in the options menu. I cranked down the music volume and it sounds so much better now.

• Locked thread