Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I'm on the road right now, but i will update by the time i arrive; That might be 6-7 hours out, so voting remains open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

You wait. Again and again the voice rings out, summoning the green man, the ancient power, etc. etc. It goes on for hours and you're about to decide that nothing will happen and you should do something else, when you feel the dream quaking, straining under the power of the entity summoned into it. The magus stands strong, however, and the creature appears before him as an ever-churning whirlwind of leaves. It speaks, and its voice is thunder.
"I Am Here."

The words aren't spoken. They are sung by everything and everyone in the dreamscape. The air sings it, the hills and trees and stones sing it, the mage sings it, you sing it, and every single fiber, muscle, bone and nerve within you sing it in thundering harmony. The power the words course through you and make you spasm and spiral downwards, crashing into the wards and stone. The mage, however, is buisy crying and bleeding from the ears, and does not notice it.

"Why Have You Called Me?" The voice asks again, but you are ready for it this time, and manage to control yourself.

The magus looks up at the creature, the whirlwind of leaves and power, and you feel his will echo in the dream for a moment as he reshapes it into one where his ears are not bleeding.

"I seek your boon, O Great Power," the wizard claims and he pushes both his hand into his own flesh and bone at the chest. "And in return for a sapling of your greatness, I will give it a heart in which to grow."
With these words, the wizard rips open his chest and pulls out his heart with his right hand.
That explains why he's doing this in a dream, at least.

The creature, the power, does not respond. It mearly expands the whirlwind in which it exists, and then a sapling is growing from the offered heart. Almost at once, the creature begins leaving, though it will take a while for the entirety of the creature's essence to leave the dream. The Magus Kneels and begins planting his heart, dripping blood from his exposed chest. The dream will remain while the power is withdrawing from it, but collapse with its passing.

What do you do?
A - I wait until the summon has almost left the dream, then smash the wards and eat the wizard's empowered heart for a *significant* boost in my magical powers, and a possible link to the green and the growing in the real world.
B - I smash the wards and adress the entity. I ask it to teach me things. I might have to offer it something, though.
C - I smash the wards and COMMAND the entity! it is a spirit, no matter its power, and as a spirit it will obey me! If i get it to work, well, a primordial entity of fertilty and plant magic is mine. If not... who know what it'll do?
D - I wait until the summoning has almost faded, and then pierce the wards and talk to the wizard, offering to teach him some of the magic i know in exchange for some of what he knows. He's not as wise as the green thing, but human magic might be useful in the future
E - I wait until the dream is on the brink of collapse, and Juuuuust as it collapses, i eat the dreamscape, which has been imbuned with the power of the mage and the creature's voice and presence
F - I wait until the dream is about to collapse and then i extend my will into it and stabilize it. If it works, it'll give me a powerfull demense as a base of operation, and a possible link to a mortal mage and a heart to hold hostage over him.
G - gently caress it! I smash the wards and try to EAT the green thing!
H - Other stuff! write it in!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A Eating wizard's hearts sounds like a good idea.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A, then do E

Eat the mage, then eat the dream!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A

Some ham with a salad on the side sounds really good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

F

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SerSpook posted:

A, then do E

Eat the mage, then eat the dream!

This +1

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
F. We could have the mages power, sure. Or, we could have his power And plausible deniability And a sweet crib

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
F

Hi new home, and new heart tree!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
E for eat

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hey, I just want to say i'll be travelling the next... 24 hours or so. Will update once i get to japan. Voting remains open.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
F

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Slaan posted:

F. We could have the mages power, sure. Or, we could have his power And plausible deniability And a sweet crib

Yeah, this sounds like a lovely thing we should do.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F that mage up

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Sorry for the delay. the time between arrival and stable internet was longer than expected. Will update tomorrow, it's late here.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Sorry for the delay. Time to update.

You wait for a while and the dream begins fading. It is about to crumple with the fading footsteps of The Green Man, and the mage is waking up. Just as the dream is about to fold, though, you press your will into it and your power courses through it. The edges and surroundings disappear, but you manage to stabilize the center, and the dream is now yours. It contains the large standing stones on top of the mountain, and the mountain it stands on. The mountain is covered in forest, but the forest is empty and lifeless; the dreamer dreamt up the mountain as a sweeping and natural setting, but he did not consider the animals and other life in it. You can populate it later, but you'll need animals from other dreams or some other source of animal symbolism.
Further, the dreamscape is still not entierly yours. The heart and the sapling makes it partially the mage's and partially the Green Man's. If you find the correct spell, you could forcefully convert it to become yours entirely and uproot the heart and the sapling. Over time, living here will also make it yours, as will befriending the spirits that inhabit it or making effort to invest it with draconic symbols and symbolism. Currently, they don't know this place still exists, but if they find out, it could be trouble.
The dream is also full of magical power. Anytime you're here, you can draw on that for big effects.

After a survey of your new lair, you settle down on top of one of the standing stones. This is a good start.

What do you do now?
A - I meticulously begin talking to the spirits of the land and mountain to familiarize myself with them and make them my friends and allies
B - I follow my nose, leaving this dreamscape to go search for knowledge and magic i can use to claim this place and do more spells and such.
C - I follow my nose, leaving this dreamscape to go search for something to populate it with.
D - I still don't have a name! I leave the dream and go find that giant dream of knowledge i remembered.
E - I go explore, jumping into the nearest dreamscape
F - I eat the heart. This will give me power, but i won't have any sort of leverage on the wizard.
G - I rest, for now. I don't have too many defences here, though.
H - Something else! Write it in.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - Get the home field advantage, and we won't need to try as hard to rule with spells, which lets us focus on getting better spells instead.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

A - I'm all for attempting to befriend the mage too. Not enslave him.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
G. We are a very sleepy dragon. Talking to things takes effort. Yaaaaaawn

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A

Learn the land.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Sorry about the delays in updating. Still finding my footing in japan. Will update in a few hours.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

G - We just got here, it can't be that dangerous, right? Seems like a good time to recharge for the next phase of the REM revolution.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

'Will update in a few hours' says magnus, and then updates two dates later. My bad, sorry guys.

You flap your wings and rise into the air, and you speak the words of the spirit language to rouse the dim spirits in this deam, and their whispers reach up from beneath you like a quiet chorus. You fly above them, and the wind whsipers to you silently, and you ask it questions, and it answers
You land upon the stone circle, and the voice of the rocks speak to you with some power, being the center of the dream. They tell you their purpose, their history, and teach of you some of the magics behind their construction.
You land upon the ground and press your ear against it; and the spirits of the mountain tell you of the roots of this dream, which still now touch a mage's soul.
You land and walk among the trees, and the leaves rustle with meaning and words as the trees answers your questions and tells you what little they know

You may at any time think back at these encounters and get a full transcription of what you learned.

But now, you are getting hungry. You have extended yourself quite a bit for a newborn dragon, and you need to eat.

What do you eat?

A - The dreamstuff that makes up the outlying mountains. It's a perfectly safe option, but it's not a very filling meal... and you shrink your demesne.
B - I enter the nearest dream and gobble up everything besides the dreamer. Unless the dreamer is having terrible nightmares or is a dangerous mage, that should be just as safe, and more filling.
C - I enter the nearest dream and gobble up everything, including the dreamer. As safe as the previous option, and it should be an acceptable meal. Might scar the dreamer for life, however, and not get you a very good reputation
D - I leave this dream and go hunting though dreams for another dream creature to gobble up. As long as it's just a small faerie or an imp, that should be fine for my reputation, and might give me a small power bump. I might run into something quite dangerous, though.
E - I leave this dream and let myself fall into the astral world to go eat some spirit or other. That would be a significant power bump and a very good meal. It's very dangerous, though.
F - I fly from dream to dream, eating a bit here and a bit there until i'm full. Not too dangerous, but should let me see the world.
G - I try to siphon energy and magic from the mage's heart and eat that. If it works, it's a small power bump and a good meal. If not, it might tire me out.... or destroy my demesne
H - Something other! write it in!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Let's go Flightseeing.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
F It'd be nice to look around at the dreams we can eat.

Also, Remember what exactly did the spirits say about the roots of the dream. I think it would be helpful to know how this dream touches the mage.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

F Let's go see some stuff. Fighting can come later.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

F, but not too far yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

E. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

F

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

F

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Let's go Flightseeing.

Flightseeing sounds like fun. We might meet some neat people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

You think back toward the conversations you had with the mountain spirits.

Who are you? They had asked.
A dragon, lord of this realm, you had answered, and they accepted it.
Why do you come?
To hear your secrets. Where do your roots go?
Our roots go deep into the soul of the mage who called us forth, and with them go the root of the sapling newly planted.
Do you touch his mind? you had asked. If so, he might know of any manipulations you wrought
Only barely, had been the answer It is as the soil upon the deeper rock that is the soul; but we do not disturb it nor does it disturb us.
Do you touch the core of his soul?
No; we dig deep, but not that deep. The root of the sapling newly planted reaches further still, and may touch the core of the soul. We do not know.

Will update tonight.

• Locked thread