Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

We'll end up with a Saturday sprint race to determine the grid for Sunday I reckon

Line them up in reverse order of championship points. 5 laps, how they finish determines the starting grid.

See how easy that was Bernie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

anything that involves a reverse grid of any kind is A Bad Idea

You just hate everything.

On a side note, media companies do an excellent job measuring market penetration. F1 is getting less popular, but it doesn't really matter. Billionaires will continue to spend their fortunes on it for the next 20 years, so who cars if they are a few million less fans?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

the only thing i hate is the idea of a competition involving the drivers and teams who perform best being artificially handicapped. that defeats the point of a competition and is indefensibly stupid.

Sports car racing is also very competitive and yet no one watches it. It's almost like there has to be entertainment value to get people to watch.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

serious gaylord posted:

Think about what you're suggesting, and then think about the sport you're suggesting it for. F1, a sport where teams work out to the hundreth of a second how fast a car can go to maximise tyre and fuel life while maintaining decent lap speed. Now imagine what will happen if teams know theres a reverse grid. It won't be a battle to win, it will be a battle to finish in the mathematically highest point scoring spot that will leave them the best chance in the next race.

You'd see cars deliberately slowing down to finish 5th or something, with people refusing to overtake each other. Its a stupid idea.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Can we talk about how Mercedes were not allowed to tell Nico that his brakes were about to explode, and decided not to retire him when they were at a critical level please?

You will need to get permission from the new forum moderator first.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Bernie has an excellent model for extracting the maximum out of the venues. The local promoters raise a bunch of money via investors/lenders while local governments use taxpayer money to pay Bernie. The promoters pay themselves a nice take home salary, Joe Governor looks good for bring economic development to the community and everyone is happy.

Eventually the annual 10% increase becomes too much to bear, and the promoter's shell corporation goes bankrupt. At that point Bernie can either decide to write off the loss and start over (like in Canada) or move that date to a new venue.

You can argue it's not a sustainable model, but people keep signing up. The only downside is that there are very few local governments in the USA who will sign up for this model (thanks Rick Perry) because F1 isn't popular here is the USA like American Football is.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

AgentJotun posted:

Wouldn't the failure of Korea, India, Turkey and Valencia - as well as the constant ongoing struggles with Spa, Monza, Silverstone, COTA and Nurburgring/Hockenheim strongly suggest that at the very least the amount of race weekend money going to the tracks is broken wicka?

The business model really boils down to "find the tracks willing to pay the most money." Europeans probably feel like F1 is their sport and there should be more races there, but if the fans don't turn out to pay the high prices then Europe will end up with as many races as the USA gets.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

Vettel is going to win this, i'm realy feeling it!

That didn't work out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Does anyone else think it's kinda a bad thing that the same driver has won the last 5 races? In most other series, that would be huge news. In F1, it's the opposite.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Europeans don't like it when an American team comes in and does it better than they do right off the bat? You would think they would be used to that by now.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It seems to me that F1s recent problems stem from the deal Bernie made with the teams a few years ago to prevent them from forming their own series. Once Bernie gave up some of his power, F1 went from a dictatorship to a messy system where different players get a different percentage of the votes. The result is that nothing gets done unless it's unanimous.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

it's shocking because it's the worst possible idea. there are a million and one ways to try to knock mercedes off the top. the most effective is to loving wait. for some reason they've jumped to the end of the list and tried to the turn the sport into a farce. no one suggested this when ferrari was dominating. no one suggested this when red bull was dominating. they just waited for the order to naturally change, as it ALWAYS does. for some reason everyone has gotten their panties in a bunch about mercedes. i don't understand it.

The token system has had the impact of limiting the teams ability to catch up to Mercedes. The sport is run by morons

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

be nice wicka posted:

and the token restrictions have been greatly reduced for this year and are entirely gone next year. done.

Yes, it is gone next year. For this year, we look to be stuck with Mercedes domination. While I applaud the attempt to break out of the cycle of spend even more money to be competitive, the token system was doomed from the start.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have read a lot of comments that basicly amount to "The racing has been good this year" and while I agree it is better than last year, there really hasn't been much competition for the lead.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Also, they officially are going back to last years qualy system now.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am not attacking you, that is the difference, you seem to take offence at everything and any criticism tor differing opions to what you say you take unbelievably personal and will proceed to try and 'out argue' <insert opponent of the day here> until you are satisfied that everyone has got the message on how pedantic you are. I mean christ on a stick you are too much sometimes.

*EDIT* Here comes another probation im guessing.

This pretty much is my observation as well.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

nsaP posted:

I googled looking for shirtless male drivers in their race suit with it half zipped down but wouldn't you know it, there wasn't one!!!

You must be new to the google.

http://famewatcher.com/shirtless-nascar-drivers-indycar-hunks-whos-the-hottest.html

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Haas beat both Red Bull cars today. :fsmug:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Mercedes a full second faster than everyone else...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In the end, there was no harm done so the stewards really didn't need to jump in there anyway.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dubs posted:

No harm? I had to agree with wicka

I do too. I'm also hoping we see a repeat at the 5 or 6 races.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

My point is the Ford Tempo is a fine car.

My Dad owned one of these. It was more Fraudulent than the Mercedes F1 team.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
F1 needs fake engine noise to spice up the show

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33937.html

Everyone in F1 is a fraud now

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Did anyone ever explain why Red Bull didn't have those tires ready?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They should only allow one button on the steering wheel and force the drivers to tap out the settings in Morse code

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A lot of crying about the curbs today. Either build a stronger car or don't run them over. Bunch of babies.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

nsaP posted:

I saw the Kvyat crash. Not a proper penalty for going slightly wide. With walls you know what you're getting into, it's not like they expected curbs to do this. If they all slow down cause of the curbing people will whine that the drivers are being held back from driving the car like they should be able to.

It's not the curb's fault. The cars are too fragile to be able to handle the slightest bump. The drivers just need to drive better.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So if Shifting doesn't matter, then why are CVTs banned?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Ban Wings.

I post this every year

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I still can't believe an American company bought the commercial rights. America is not a place where F1 can succeed.

The TV ratings are terrible and we won't pay the ridiculous fees to host races. COTA is in trouble after just a couple years.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

here's some crazy poo poo: you can make money in other countries, and then - try to stay calm - convert their currency into dollars and bring into the US

US companies don't bring their money back due to the massive tax hit they will take.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/u-s-companies-are-stashing-2-1-trillion-overseas-to-avoid-taxes

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

There's this crazy thing called tax havens and loopholes that lets you bring the money back into the states paying significantly less tax than normal.

Nobody other than the guy who asked the question does.

You should call up Apple and tell their CFO how to do it because he can't figure it out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This showed up on my Google News this evening.

quote:

Bernie Ecclestone's future might not be as secure as it was earlier thought.

US media tycoon John Malone was understood to have signed the Formula 1 supremo to a new three-year deal as he moved to take over the sport's commercial rights from CVC.

Yet Germany's Auto Bild claims that Ecclestone, 85, and 75-year-old Malone may already have clashed, with the current F1 chief executive now set to vacate his role after November's season finale in Abu Dhabi.

The same report says that Malone and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne are also clashing, with the former wanting to end the Italian team's special annual bonus payments.

"Sue me!" Malone is quoted as having told Marchionne during recent negotiations. "I have the time and the money."

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/abu-dhabi-grand-prix/news/abu-dhabi-to-be-ecclestones-last-race_281134.html

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
When the new owners cut off all the extra money for Ferrari, what will the new break away series be called?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

I have two tests to study for tomorrow. Is this race worth watching? Or should I assume that Lewis won and then rest of the grid was a train?

Like most F1 races, you only have to watch the first 10 minutes to know who won.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

quote:

New chairman Chase Carey said Formula One cannot continue as a "dictatorship", as speculation grows over the role of long-term supremo Bernie Ecclestone under the sport's incoming American owners.

We are screwed.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
These guys are going to run F1 into the ground and it's going to be glorious. I predict a breakaway series that destroys open wheel racing in Europe.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's clear to me that driver aids like traction control (which still exists), flipper shift transmissions, and blah blah blah have made the cars easier to drive. It would be nice if driver skill meant more than the car but those days are not coming back.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dubs posted:

Every single pitstop in Every single race by Every single driver, being decided by the driver and not the pitwall would improve what I think of as RACING

This doesn't make any sense to me. If they ban radios, team would just roll the dice on changes and then it becomes a random numbers game instead of a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's a lot easier to just blow it all up and start over than to fix F1. Auto Racing is in serious decline here in the USA anyway, so why not try something totally new?

Anyway, ban wings.

• Locked thread