Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm gently enthusiastic about this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Nice!

does it gaze at the sun with its wandering eye?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

you cant fool me

thats a turd

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Do one on octopuses, they're rad.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
but which ones are good to eat. asking for a friend

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Hogge Wild posted:

you cant fool me

thats a turd

I was thinking more along the lines of a NY Strip steak. mmmmm, steak.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Who the heck has a shell inside their body that's r tarded

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Here is a short documentary on Mollusks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2zvE615dM
apparently, the Clam is a right out whore.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 18, 2016

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

JiveHonky posted:

abalone is pretty tasty

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Once the current period of man inducted mass extinction is over, it will the mollusks' turn to rule the Earth.

I am ready.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

abalone is pretty tasty

can confirm- went diving yesterday and got some paua for eating and I'm going to give the shells to my friends mum for her garden

truly the buffalo of the sea

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JiveHonky posted:

Abalone, traditionally. Your conventional French cuisine snail isn't bad. If we branch out into other mollusks, octopus/squid/cuttlefish are delicious.

Nothing can ever beat human flesh, but yeah I'm always lookin'.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
During our seventh grade retreat we stayed in tents in a forest and one of the girls in my tent made escargot out of wild snails she caught. I kinda regret not trying them.

E: Here is an article about catching and cooking snails in your own backyard.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 18, 2016

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I had a racing snail once.

I even removed its shell to make it more aerodynamic, but that made it even more sluggish.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
This thread makes me happy and I am learning a lot about Gastropods. I love cuttlefish, aren't they supposed to be incredibly intelligent? Pigs of the sea if you will.

Hogge Wild posted:

you cant fool me

thats a turd

Hey I think maybe you should go to the doctor.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I woudld never eat an octopus they are too intelligent and cute

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LadyAmbien posted:

This thread makes me happy and I am learning a lot about Gastropods. I love cuttlefish, aren't they supposed to be incredibly intelligent? Pigs of the sea if you will.

Cuttlefish are cephalopods! This is the gastropod thread.

Mods please ban this horrible troll.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Dr Cheeto posted:

Cuttlefish are cephalopods! This is the gastropod thread.

Mods please ban this horrible troll.

Please, I'm sick and I only mentioned them because someone above me did. You're right, I'm horrible. Banning myself now.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
hey op, I enjoyed reading about these thingies but do you have a video of one doing something? For example yelling into a cup

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LadyAmbien posted:

Banning myself now.

Mod self flagellation is my fetish.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LadyAmbien posted:

Please, I'm sick and I only mentioned them because someone above me did. You're right, I'm horrible. Banning myself now.

Cephalopods are a class of molluscs, YOU WERE RIGHT BECAUSE PICK WAS RIGHT

I'm thinking this "Dr. Cheeto" fella isn't even certified by the AMA... but I guess the thread title is calling for a less inclusive discussion

Mollusc:

A zebra mussel, gently caress these molluscs, they need no love

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 18, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think its weird that coral is alive. i think its weird australia has a big boner over their funny colored living rocks

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tricky D posted:

Once the current period of man inducted mass extinction is over, it will the mollusks' turn to rule the Earth.

I am ready.

god drat the world needs a tim burton chutluhu movie

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sea slugs are hosed up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi posted:

During our seventh grade retreat we stayed in tents in a forest and one of the girls in my tent made escargot out of wild snails she caught. I kinda regret not trying them.

E: Here is an article about catching and cooking snails in your own backyard.

I don't know if I'd eat a wild snail, since I associate snails with parasites (e.g. schistosomiasis), though that's probably unfair because it's freshwater snails who carry that.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

:agreed:

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sea slugs will gently caress you up.

FTFY

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

can someone photoshop this gif to make the background like hotline bling?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LadyAmbien posted:

Should I eat more, or less fibre?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bring back old gbs posted:

Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to get his adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness produced for about 10 years now, but he's having trouble because 1) he insists on making it R-rated instead of PG-13 and 2) there's no love interest or happy ending :negative:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pththya-lyi posted:

Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to get his adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness produced for about 10 years now, but he's having trouble because 1) he insists on making it R-rated instead of PG-13 and 2) there's no love interest or happy ending :negative:

del toro kind of hosed up his career he will never get this made, he should have been doing every single lovely thing any studio asked him to do since Hellboy and cashed out every bit of goodwill and backroom favour to make that. The guy loves making weird dark no audience movies just bite the bullet and make the ultimate one

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
why do sea slugs need an internal shell

is that like an evolutionary precursor to bone

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

Black leather creature look like my poo poo after i drink too much pepto bismol. Now that's good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

Thank you Mak0rz for posting chitons, I really love chitons. I can find them on the Oregon coast when I'm tidepooling. Maybe I should have made a tidepooling hobby thread.

No problem but I only just realized that chitons and gastropods are actually different classes. It's been a long time since I taught invertebrate zoology :blush:

Katarina is good and i like it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

I explicitly stated the rationale for excluding scallops! It's the gastropod thread!

But fine, you can post bivalves, i give up :qq:

These look super fake. Are you sure you didn't accidentally post muppets?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

No problem but I only just realized that chitons and gastropods are actually different classes. It's been a long time since I taught invertebrate zoology :blush:

Katarina is good and i like it

It's ok we jumped straight to bivalves and cephalopods anyway, general mollusk thread I GUESS

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Can someone make this av sized?

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I love you Pick. Thank you for making threads that are informative and stimulating.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Is it okay to talk about how awesome the scaly-foot gastropod is in here, or does that get too much attention all ready? It is after all, the most metal of all snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pick posted:

It's ok we jumped straight to bivalves and cephalopods anyway, general mollusk thread I GUESS

mr. spondylus thanks you

see he's smiling

• Locked thread