Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I'm familiar with Bitcoin. It's what pedos and drug dealers use to get money for their nefarious deeds.I understand that it's not really a very useful currency. I can't pay my mortgage in Bitcoin. But I don't really understand how it works. I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyxRH18YlpA But I was too distracted by his potato like complexion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoxiesMD
Oct 20, 2013

by LadyAmbien
they don't and neither do the people who use them

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
you pour your money into the internet and get bits that are then stolen

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Like every open VNC server on the internet has a bitcoin miner installed thanks to some enterprising individual

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I understand that it has real world problems, but I'm trying to understand how it works theoretically. Wtf is a block-chain? How do you "mine" a hash and what does that mean?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SweetKarma posted:

I understand that it has real world problems, but I'm trying to understand how it works theoretically. Wtf is a block-chain? How do you "mine" a hash and what does that mean?

it's a ledger of every transaction made every moment of every day, downloaded to your computer

somehow, this makes it decentralized and private and scalable to national economies

mining is when you run your video card until it melts solving pointless math problems to get the winning lotto number that gives you bitcoins

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
you install linux then you get the powerup and you win the game

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
well when I say "video card" I mean "giant server farms in china" and by "melt" I mean "burn to the ground" because the difficulty has increased since the early days

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
Let me first start by asking if you have a time machine.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
scratch-offs are probably a better ROI than bitcoin at this point

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
So the more Bitcoins you spend in a transaction the more computing time miners need to find the hash? Is that it?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SweetKarma posted:

So the more Bitcoins you spend in a transaction the more computing time miners need to find the hash? Is that it???

yep

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
Australia has this thing call superannuation, where based on your wage x% equivalent funds is locked away in investments until retirement age.

I saw some group offering bitcoin as an investment option... yes I would love to tie my retirement savings into a clusterfuck of libertarian horseshit and scamming paedo miners.

Sorry your investments have been taken by a script kiddy because we use php and save passwords in cleartext. Have a nice life.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I you needed weed or hitmen you would know op

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
here this should help

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

I didn't know The Undertaker was into Bitcoin :smith:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

SweetKarma posted:

computer finds a number that turns number into money

where money is a thing someone is willing to trade goods as services for [mostly dummies]

how do you "mine" it's with more computers looking for more numbers

also if you were reading LF in 2010 you could have made a couple thousand dollars, if you had a couple hundred dollars, selling bitcoins to dummies

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Okay. Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that I wanted to use Bitcoin to buy a packet of gum for $1.50 at my local 7/11. How would I go about doing that?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
you would sell it all immediately at an exchange before it implodes due to massive fraud and use your USD to buy the gum

assuming they don't just cut and run with it that is

if you lose it all lol free market bithc

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i invested my life savings in beaniebabycoin

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you would sell it all immediately at an exchange before it implodes due to massive fraud and use your USD to buy the gum

assuming they don't just cut and run with it that is

if you lose it all lol free market bithc

How do I exchange bitcoin into usable USD?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SweetKarma posted:

you buy young white girls with bitcoin and sell them for usd

but you get a better return if you put them in the ywgcoin market

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

SweetKarma posted:

MGTOW or MGT or one of those acronyms

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
some people think it has value so it does

supposedly

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

gary oldmans diary posted:

you buy young white girls with bitcoin and sell them for usd

but you get a better return if you put them in the ywgcoin market

I knew I was getting jipped when I bought those 3 mexican girls for .0000000003 BTC. Now what do I do with them?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its basically a sprinoff of the luelinks "eti"

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
it's a big cargo cult

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shaquin posted:

it's a big cargo cult

Munchausens by proxy. A classic toxic relationship.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SweetKarma posted:

I knew I was getting jipped when I bought those 3 mexican girls for .0000000003 BTC. Now what do I do with them?
theyre losing value every day now :ohdear:

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
They're like war bonds for Satan; chance of loss but benefits could be eternal.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Isaac posted:

Its basically a sprinoff of the luelinks "eti"

watch out for this guy on the bitcoin exchange trading floor, he's obviously cracked the code

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SweetKarma posted:

I can tell you but I will require a 100 bitcoin tip for the information :grin:

but for real I dunno I've only followed it on and off since Mt. Gox, which was the main exchange, imploded and drug down half the bitcoin economy with it, just scan one of the megathreads or check TCC or something

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

...WHATEVER HE WANTS!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
ron paul 2008

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I can tell you but I will require a 100 bitcoin tip for the information :grin:
but a 100 bitcoins will be worth millions of future dollars!

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Bitcoin is old news. People are losing vast sums on a horde of other pretend number monies now. You can make up your own currency apparently.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
money is just like 0s and 1s anyway man its like you have it or you dont you know what im saying?? :2bong:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bitcoin pisses bankers off. The way you make money is you have cctv on a bunch of high profile bankers in the imf being broadcast to the Internet without their consent. When they see they are losing trading leverage to bitcoin, they get angry. When they get angry and upset, their views go up and the Bitcoin becomes even more valuable, which perpetuates their anger. Eventually pissing them off becomes a hot commodity. Bitcoin went up a bunch for instance, the last time a banker got a footling piece of poo poo placed in his coffee. The guy who did it was like 12 and not punishable under international law so he's sitting on a Bitcoin farm on his own private island in the pacific. P cool.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just hacked into my bank and added a few zeros to the end of my balance. I now have -500,000 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

It don't. End thread.

• Locked thread