Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I just woke up to feed the Sailor Kittens and found Mars dead in the bottom of their cage. He was fine a few hours ago before I went to bed, so I have no idea what could have happened unless it was related to him generally not growing as well as his siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LivesInGrey posted:

I just woke up to feed the Sailor Kittens and found Mars dead in the bottom of their cage. He was fine a few hours ago before I went to bed, so I have no idea what could have happened unless it was related to him generally not growing as well as his siblings.

:smith:

Ugh thats brutal Sorry

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LivesInGrey posted:

I'm so sorry. Sometimes kittens just don't thrive, unfortunately, or have some congenital issue that only shows up like this; I don't think there's anything you could have done.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

LivesInGrey posted:

One of the main reasons I wanted to set up this thread was to provide support to folks like you. Trust me, if you foster long enough, the worst eventually happens. When it does, it's one of the worst feelings in the world. Try to take it as easy on yourself as possible and know that when kittens are separated from their mother, their odds always drop. If you ask yourself if you could do more, of course you could have. You could have sat with the kittens all day and given them every single bit of attention you had.... but it probably wouldn't have helped in the end. Sometimes, they just don't make it.

The next important step, which I'm guessing you've already taken, is contacting the shelter and seeing how they'd like you to proceed from here. Since the unfortunate occurred so quickly, they'll likely want to rule out panleukopenia.

After that, however, please accept my gratitude for giving your time and compassion to creatures weaker and needier than yourself. You gave Mars a safe and warm place and made sure that his brief live was one filled with kindness and comfort. You are a good person. We love you for what you do.

If you'd like to chat outside of the thread, feel free to PM me. If you are happy with the shelter you foster through, if you'd like, please post a link to their site here, or PM it to me. I'd like to make a small donation in memory of Mars.

Keep on going!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Chilli. LivesInGrey.

Y'all are the best people. The best.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I'm LivesInGrey's wife. I feel like absolute poo poo because I think I was the last one to feed him before he died. Mars had been looking like poo poo for a while, both he and Venus had me super worried, but I didn't know what to do except keep feeding him, keep the water and free food topped off, and hope for the best. I'm still really worried about Venus, she's not nearly as active as her siblings (she's apparently wrestling with them rn though), but I don't know what else to do for them. Rose might want us to bring her in for a panleukopenia check (idk how this is done, I didn't know that was A Thing That Happens), right now she just wants us to bring Mars in for possible necropsy.

We volunteer through the Street Cat H.U.B., but the website is still under construction, and it doesn't really have anything for donations. The coordinator for it has her number up, though, if you want to contact her and find out how to donate directly. Alternatively, we are registered through Amazon Smile, so if you go to here, you can change the charity to Street Cat Hub, based out of Albuquerque NM, and anything you purchase through smile.amazon.com will donate a little money to our group.

I'm still in shock. I just really loving hope it's not something that all the kittens have. It'll be horrible if they all die one after another.

Thank you guys for all of your support <3

edit: Jesus Christ it's apparently contagious as hell. I really loving hope that if that's it, the Hub can vaccinate our older cats. I feel like throwing up.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 17, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cat_herder posted:

I'm LivesInGrey's wife. I feel like absolute poo poo because I think I was the last one to feed him before he died. Mars had been looking like poo poo for a while, both he and Venus had me super worried, but I didn't know what to do except keep feeding him, keep the water and free food topped off, and hope for the best.

You are doing all you can do, dont jump to conclusions just yet or panic, just get some tests done, take a deep breath and soldier on a bit. Its hard sure, but you are doing a really good thing and think of how much worse off they might be without attentive care.

keep being a trooper.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SneakyFrog posted:

You are doing all you can do, dont jump to conclusions just yet or panic, just get some tests done, take a deep breath and soldier on a bit. Its hard sure, but you are doing a really good thing and think of how much worse off they might be without attentive care.

keep being a trooper.

Yeah, keeping fighting for those kittens, you two are all they've got. Even if it is panleukopenia there are treatments for the kittens and vaccinations for the older cats you can get. Just keep going.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

cat_herder posted:

I'm LivesInGrey's wife. I feel like absolute poo poo because I think I was the last one to feed him before he died. Mars had been looking like poo poo for a while, both he and Venus had me super worried, but I didn't know what to do except keep feeding him, keep the water and free food topped off, and hope for the best. I'm still really worried about Venus, she's not nearly as active as her siblings (she's apparently wrestling with them rn though), but I don't know what else to do for them. Rose might want us to bring her in for a panleukopenia check (idk how this is done, I didn't know that was A Thing That Happens), right now she just wants us to bring Mars in for possible necropsy.

We volunteer through the Street Cat H.U.B., but the website is still under construction, and it doesn't really have anything for donations. The coordinator for it has her number up, though, if you want to contact her and find out how to donate directly. Alternatively, we are registered through Amazon Smile, so if you go to here, you can change the charity to Street Cat Hub, based out of Albuquerque NM, and anything you purchase through smile.amazon.com will donate a little money to our group.

I'm still in shock. I just really loving hope it's not something that all the kittens have. It'll be horrible if they all die one after another.

edit: Jesus Christ it's apparently contagious as hell. I really loving hope that if that's it, the Hub can vaccinate our older cats. I feel like throwing up.

Yeah, panleuk is just about the worst thing in the world for a foster owner to deal with. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, because the consequences can be devastating. To best prepare please do make sure that your adult cats get nowhere near those kittens. As soon as they rule out panleuk, you can take a deep breath and relax a little. If you happen to notice any of the kittens sitting still, above a water dish with their heads somewhat drooped over the bowl.... that's one of the telltale signs of panleuk, so keep an eye out for that.

Anyway, as I told your partner, feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk. From one foster to another, thank you, even though you're dealing with poo poo right now, please now that your compassion is inspiring!

Also, as I think we all need a pick me up, I'd like to share with you guys the most recent development in Butterscotch's quest for lap domination.

Since I've been home on medical leave, he's gotten insanely attached to me. It started a few weeks ago when I posted pictures of him trying to overtake my laptop. I made the mistake of picking him up when he was sleeping on the keyboard and put him on my lap. Suddenly, that has become the place to be. It started with him loafing for a minute or two, then he'd striaght up fall asleep on his side.

But now it's come to this:

Look at that baby.

Look at that big fat baby.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Yeah, panleuk is just about the worst thing in the world for a foster owner to deal with. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, because the consequences can be devastating. To best prepare please do make sure that your adult cats get nowhere near those kittens. As soon as they rule out panleuk, you can take a deep breath and relax a little. If you happen to notice any of the kittens sitting still, above a water dish with their heads somewhat drooped over the bowl.... that's one of the telltale signs of panleuk, so keep an eye out for that.

Anyway, as I told your partner, feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk. From one foster to another, thank you, even though you're dealing with poo poo right now, please now that your compassion is inspiring!

Also, as I think we all need a pick me up, I'd like to share with you guys the most recent development in Butterscotch's quest for lap domination.

Since I've been home on medical leave, he's gotten insanely attached to me. It started a few weeks ago when I posted pictures of him trying to overtake my laptop. I made the mistake of picking him up when he was sleeping on the keyboard and put him on my lap. Suddenly, that has become the place to be. It started with him loafing for a minute or two, then he'd striaght up fall asleep on his side.

Look at that baby.

indeedy that is a big fattie boy. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxwmW0DU-I

in the spirit of cutesy things to make you feel better here be a kitten attack movie.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That Butter belly! That Bitteh purr! So wonderful. :kimchi:

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your little foster kitten. I hope the rest of your little flock remains healthy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chili posted:

One of the main reasons I wanted to set up this thread was to provide support to folks like you. Trust me, if you foster long enough, the worst eventually happens. When it does, it's one of the worst feelings in the world. Try to take it as easy on yourself as possible and know that when kittens are separated from their mother, their odds always drop. If you ask yourself if you could do more, of course you could have. You could have sat with the kittens all day and given them every single bit of attention you had.... but it probably wouldn't have helped in the end. Sometimes, they just don't make it.

The next important step, which I'm guessing you've already taken, is contacting the shelter and seeing how they'd like you to proceed from here. Since the unfortunate occurred so quickly, they'll likely want to rule out panleukopenia.

After that, however, please accept my gratitude for giving your time and compassion to creatures weaker and needier than yourself. You gave Mars a safe and warm place and made sure that his brief live was one filled with kindness and comfort. You are a good person. We love you for what you do.

If you'd like to chat outside of the thread, feel free to PM me. If you are happy with the shelter you foster through, if you'd like, please post a link to their site here, or PM it to me. I'd like to make a small donation in memory of Mars.

Keep on going!

You guys are pretty amazing, I don't know where you find the strength to be honest.

I use to foster terminally ill pets and after the 4th one I was so utterly destroyed and heartbroken that I simply couldn't carry on, despite knowing full well what I was getting myself to I still became very attached.

My last one was this little baby right here, I opted to adopt him because I loved him so much and spent an absolute fortune to keep him going, he lived 2 years but it might as well have been lifetime for me, after that I just couldn't do it anymore much to my great shame.

Your words reached me, maybe I have some thinking to do.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

You guys are pretty amazing, I don't know where you find the strength to be honest.

I use to foster terminally ill pets and after the 4th one I was so utterly destroyed and heartbroken that I simply couldn't carry on, despite knowing full well what I was getting myself to I still became very attached.

My last one was this little baby right here, I opted to adopt him because I loved him so much and spent an absolute fortune to keep him going, he lived 2 years but it might as well have been lifetime for me, after that I just couldn't do it anymore much to my great shame.

Just volunteering for that even once is brave as gently caress. You are a big goddamn hero, even if you never do it again. Much respect. Performing deathwatch for an animal is one of the hardest responsibilities of pet ownership. And you volunteered for just that part. Don't ever doubt how amazing you are.

And because this is way too serious for my usual shitposting style, cuck , im gay and sjw

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Our adult cats have been vaccinated, the kittens are kept in carriers, but all kittens are going for vet checks and possibly snap tests for FLV and FIV tomorrow to be sure they're as healthy as can be.

In better news, the reason our previous foster Elizabeth wasn't gaining weight well has been discovered! She has a cleft palate. No lip involvement, only palate. Once she has surgery to repair it, she'll be just fine.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LivesInGrey posted:

Our adult cats have been vaccinated, the kittens are kept in carriers, but all kittens are going for vet checks and possibly snap tests for FLV and FIV tomorrow to be sure they're as healthy as can be.

In better news, the reason our previous foster Elizabeth wasn't gaining weight well has been discovered! She has a cleft palate. No lip involvement, only palate. Once she has surgery to repair it, she'll be just fine.

That's good news! Sad she has to get surgery but once that is fixed she'll probably start eating like a champ.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Chili posted:

Look at that baby.

I'll keep an eye on them, both Birdie and the Senshi. Birdie took the syringe feeding on his own today for a whole 5 ml! He also purred a whole lot. The others were their usual selves, Venus is still pretty iffy on syringe feeding, but I saw her eating the dry food, so it's something, anyway :unsmith:

Wanna stuff my face in that fluffy belly.

SneakyFrog posted:

indeedy that is a big fattie boy. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxwmW0DU-I

in the spirit of cutesy things to make you feel better here be a kitten attack movie.

what an excellent kitten! those air biscuits :kimchi: and that tiny purr.

my cat is norris posted:

That Butter belly! That Bitteh purr! So wonderful. :kimchi:

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your little foster kitten. I hope the rest of your little flock remains healthy.

Alteisen posted:

What a beautiful little guy. I'm aware of the terminally ill fostering, but I'm not sure my heart can take it. I also worry for our permanent cats, because the first kitten we fostered, Rena ended up nearly adopting as her own. I think the depression from being separated from the kitten was one of the factors that led to her not eating and developing hepatic lipidosis. So, we're segregating the adults from the little ones more carefully, and giving the adults a shitload of affection so they don't feel ignored or replaced.

Kwyndig posted:

That's good news! Sad she has to get surgery but once that is fixed she'll probably start eating like a champ.

I'm gonna be checking palates when feeding from now on. I didn't even know it was a thing that could happen. She was so sick at one point that her whole face was covered in crusty boogers, and we had to give her a bath and patiently soak and wash them all off. So, this explains why that happened. The doctor that does veterinary care for the Hub is super good and I'm a tiny bit worried about the anesthesia because she's so small, but I know they'll do a great job for her.

I quoted all of you so I could say thank you so so so much for your kind thoughts and praise. I always feel like I'm not doing enough for them, or otherwise minimizing the work I do (sadbrains unfortunately) but I really appreciate it and this keeps me going. So, thank you all so much.

SneakyFrog you should punch robocop in the face

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
When I get home tonight, I'm going to update the OP with all of the active fosters itt.

If you'd like to included, or not, feel free to post one way or the other. If I hear nothing from you, you're going in the OP.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Chili, I really appreciate the work you do as a fosterer. That said, I'm also really glad that Butterscotch is your forever cat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

JackMann posted:

Chili, I really appreciate the work you do as a fosterer. That said, I'm also really glad that Butterscotch is your forever cat.

He is too. He's such a tub.

OP list has been made:

List of Foster Goons, Shelter Volunteers, and Feral Animal Magnets!

If you're not on this list, and would like to be, feel free to post or PM me. If you'd like to be removed, same thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chili posted:

He is too. He's such a tub.

How's he doing on the weight loss?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I finally got around to fully processing this.

What? That sounds like the most devastating thing to do in the world. Will you elaborate a little on the process? You don't have to get into specifics if it's too tough to talk about. How long would these pets be fostered for? And jeez, please consider yourself champion of the thread.

Cythereal posted:

How's he doing on the weight loss?

Unfortunately, it's a little tricky weighing him now. He's a little too wiggly for my wife to hold him steady on the scale as she's smaller, and with one of my feet in an immobilizing boot, I'd have to weigh him on on foot, which can be tricky.

Pretty sure it's business as usual with regards to his weight loss. I'm guessing that the pound-a-month trajectory will likely continue until he hits about twenty pounds. At that point, I'll have to start a kickstarter to get him a tummy tuck or something (do they even do that for cats?) because there's just no way he's going to get much lower than 20 with all of that extra skin on him.

Also, he's able to access higher and higher places each week. I'm worried about the day when I find him on our kitchen counter. That day will be the worst day you guys. He'll get his stupid butterfluff over the counters and will eat our pizzas while they cook. I'll certainly be proud of him once he can make it, but it'll suck.

For now, my guess would be he's at around 22.5.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Will you elaborate a little on the process? You don't have to get into specifics if it's too tough to talk about. How long would these pets be fostered for? And jeez, please consider yourself champion of the thread.

The pets where meant to be fostered till they died, that was the entire point, nobody really wants to take in a terminally ill pet, hell I didn't want to either but from my time volunteering I just thought it wasn't very fair to these animals to have to die like that I volunteered to take in a few.

My first was a russian blue named Claudio, he had contracted FeLV and FiV and was just not really doing well, his platelets I believe they're called where like 0 when he was brought in, nobody thought he'd survive the night when he stopped breathing during treatment, next day he was up and eating like nothing had happened, he was such a tough son of a bitch I figured I could make his last days easier, gave him a solid 3 months before his condition deteriorated far to badly, I learned a very hard lesson about attachment with him because I convinced myself I could someone keep extending his time with me and I tried all sorts of things, eventually he got so bad he could barely move, I remember the last moment we spent together prior to me taking him to be put down, was me coming downstairs and he was stumbling out the litter box after peeing, like literally stumbling, he could barely get up to it and he crawled to me and layed at my feet, breathing hard along the way, I knew it was time and vowed to never do that again, I would put down the animals while they still had some dignity left.

This little guy was my 2nd, I named him Porky, you see that little tag he's wearing? I bought him that and engraved his name onto it, I buried it with him to.

Porky was just brutal, he was a kitten born with FeLV, he lasted 2 months and his last days where horrific, it wasn't even a case of I waited to long, he just deteriorated that drat fast, one day he was running around and begging me for chicken scraps the next he was vomiting blood, and pooping god knows what, I've never seen cat excrement look like that in my life and I hope I never do again.

Leo was number 3, you ever meet a cat and you're like nobody could love this cat but me? That was Leo, he was such a little poo poo in his time with me, he was so vibrant and had such an amazing personality but you needed a wealth of patient to deal with his mannerisms, he had throat cancer and eventually he just couldn't eat anymore, he lived 2 years with me and I miss that annoying little poo poo every drat day.

And Kami as I described above.

This was the last picture I took of him, he had FeLV and hit his mouth really hard, if you look closely you'll notice he's missing a little hair on the edges of his mouth, that was because his drool became so acidic it did that to him.

I won't lie, Kami hurt like a son of a bitch, I didn't make the mistake of letting them getting to bad but I did get attached to much, after his death I was in what was described as the fugue state of depression for a very long time, it really messed up to have lost him, even today I still have some psychological issues relating to pet loss simply because of my time with these animals, but that was my mistake I knew very well what was I was getting myself to, if this is the price I have to pay to ensure that a few little animals didn't spend their final months/years in a cold cage then so be it, if I ever work up the heart again I might volunteer again but for now I have my own pets to care for who are more than giving me a run for their money, one had dental surgery recently and another ate a goddamn string and poo poo it out today along with some blood, they're both fine thankfully.

So yea, sorry for the downer of a post but since you asked, if you are interested in caring for terminally ill pets make sure you're made of pretty stern stuff because its amazing how they worm their way into your hearts regardless of the time spent with you.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Chili wasn't kidding. You are seriously the champion of this thread.

FeLV is so loving horrible and depressing. We have to segregate the leukemia cats in the bathroom of the Hub right now, they have an outside enclosure they can access through the window, but I feel horrible because people rarely go in there and they really want attention. Whenever I go to pee these two siblings, Lucca and Amora swarm me and climb on my lap and give me all the headbutts. Amora's been losing her fur, so she's covered in mats, and someone's been making GBS threads or coughing blood everywhere, but so far I haven't seen anyone too lethargic.

I did find one of the leukemia cats dead in there one day, maybe a year ago. I guess she'd gone downhill really fast before anyone could do anything. That was really hard.

the Hub is raising funds to build a bigger cattery out back for the leukemia cats, with much more space to run around and play. if I at all thought it was safe I'd try fostering them, but FeLV is called the love virus because it's spread in saliva, so grooming and nose boops and such can spread it.

You are seriously amazing, Alteisen. Thank you for giving those cats a loving place to spend the rest of their days.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alteisen posted:

So yea, sorry for the downer of a post but since you asked, if you are interested in caring for terminally ill pets make sure you're made of pretty stern stuff because its amazing how they worm their way into your hearts regardless of the time spent with you.

I wouldn't have made it through one. You're a great person and they were lucky to have you.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Not a downer post at all. It's inspiring, like others have said, thanks for being there. I don't think I have it in me to do it myself.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
FeLV is the worst disease ever and I'll be happy if I live long to see it cured.

If I lived in the states I'd try to visit your shelter herder, at least give a few cuddles to those poor segregated cats, that's honestly the worst thing about it to me, they're like any other cat, they just love, pets, food and cuddles but that drat disease.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

FeLV is the worst disease ever and I'll be happy if I live long to see it cured.

If I lived in the states I'd try to visit your shelter herder, at least give a few cuddles to those poor segregated cats, that's honestly the worst thing about it to me, they're like any other cat, they just love, pets, food and cuddles but that drat disease.

Yeah I stand by my first statement. You are some kinda big goddamn hero.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
In other news today the kitten is now fully powered up. And black, and can run very friggin fast. He blends with everything :gonk:

So he is ninja-ing around the house terrorizing the other animals with tiny attacks while the pibbul is desperately trying to keep up and to lick the little thing to death.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Alteisen posted:

Not a downer at all, it's heartwarming and amazing. Those cats died loved :unsmith:

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

SneakyFrog posted:

In other news today the kitten is now fully powered up. And black, and can run very friggin fast. He blends with everything :gonk:

So he is ninja-ing around the house terrorizing the other animals with tiny attacks while the pibbul is desperately trying to keep up and to lick the little thing to death.

OMG, mommy dog must soothe the feisty cat!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Haji posted:

OMG, mommy dog must soothe the feisty cat!

problem being the puppy has poor paw control and no idea of "soft" or "slow"

I forgot how thorough you have to be kittenproofing and the level of supervision with the horde is silly.

eh its mainly the pibbul puppy as she has no idea how strong she is.

it is :3: as hell though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I used to have a yellow lab/husky who thought he should do anything he saw us doing. He saw us pet the cat, so he'd try to pet him too, with all the fine motor control dogs are known for...

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Oh my jesus you are all such brave souls. I really want to foster but my husband is resisting. He says he doesn't want more cats in the house (we have 3 adult cats), but I think it's also partially because he doesn't want to get attached and then have to give them up.

The closest we've come to doing anything like what you folks do is adopting a 17 year old cat that someone surrendered at our Humane Society. I just posted about him in the Orange Cats thread. We named him Knubbs, and we had him for just under 2 years. We loved him pretty goddamn hard, and it hurt really bad when he died, even though we knew our time with him would be short.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Echeveria posted:

Oh my jesus you are all such brave souls. I really want to foster but my husband is resisting. He says he doesn't want more cats in the house (we have 3 adult cats), but I think it's also partially because he doesn't want to get attached and then have to give them up.

The closest we've come to doing anything like what you folks do is adopting a 17 year old cat that someone surrendered at our Humane Society. I just posted about him in the Orange Cats thread. We named him Knubbs, and we had him for just under 2 years. We loved him pretty goddamn hard, and it hurt really bad when he died, even though we knew our time with him would be short.

what a handsome boy! such a sweet face! :byodame: THERE'S AN ORANGE CATS THREAD I MUST THROW PICTURES OF MY CAT AT

and yeah, getting attached is the hardest part. I'm pretty sure I'm getting attached to Birdie (gremlin kitten), and it's gonna be hell giving him up for adoption. I just keep telling myself he's gonna make some family super happy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cat_herder posted:

what a handsome boy! such a sweet face! :byodame: THERE'S AN ORANGE CATS THREAD I MUST THROW PICTURES OF MY CAT AT

and yeah, getting attached is the hardest part. I'm pretty sure I'm getting attached to Birdie (gremlin kitten), and it's gonna be hell giving him up for adoption. I just keep telling myself he's gonna make some family super happy.

not gonna lie.. always gonna be the animal hoarder voice that says KEEP ALL THE ANIMALS

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
And I had a heart attack last night when the kitten decided to take a flying leap from my arms down the stairs. Completely bit it and fell all the way down the rest of the stairs. Its apparently fine, because it was running around a few minutes later.

STOP FREAKING ME OUT KITTEH

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

SneakyFrog posted:

And I had a heart attack last night when the kitten decided to take a flying leap from my arms down the stairs. Completely bit it and fell all the way down the rest of the stairs. Its apparently fine, because it was running around a few minutes later.

STOP FREAKING ME OUT KITTEH

At least it's learning it's limits while it's still young and (mostly) indestructible.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Birdie went back to the Hub today :unsmith: he's doing much better and Rose was thrilled to see him. He's back with his siblings now, Radish (who looks like a normal fluffy grey and white kitten) and Onion (black and white and missing one eye already).

Google photos doesn't allow embedding images elsewhere apparently.

Anytime he was out, he had to be clinging to one of us, preferably chest or shoulder.

I swear I bathed him, he's just a super messy eater.

I miss him already. :cry: Godspeed, you cuddly little gremlin.

In other news, the remaining four Senshi kittens went to the vet for a check-up today to make sure they didn't have anything infectious. They got a clean bill of health, except they need another round of deworming, and Venus had a bit of a fever. She's eating and running around more now, though, and they're all looking great. We don't even have to supplement them anymore except if she stops eating again. I might do it anyway because damnit I just made a big jar of formula last night.

SneakyFrog kittens are made of some sort of non-Newtonian liquid, seriously. They can bounce off things and squeeze into tiny spots. Though, I would've had a heart attack too.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cat_herder posted:

Birdie went back to the Hub today :unsmith: he's doing much better and Rose was thrilled to see him. He's back with his siblings now, Radish (who looks like a normal fluffy grey and white kitten) and Onion (black and white and missing one eye already).

Google photos doesn't allow embedding images elsewhere apparently.

Anytime he was out, he had to be clinging to one of us, preferably chest or shoulder.

I swear I bathed him, he's just a super messy eater.

I miss him already. :cry: Godspeed, you cuddly little gremlin.

In other news, the remaining four Senshi kittens went to the vet for a check-up today to make sure they didn't have anything infectious. They got a clean bill of health, except they need another round of deworming, and Venus had a bit of a fever. She's eating and running around more now, though, and they're all looking great. We don't even have to supplement them anymore except if she stops eating again. I might do it anyway because damnit I just made a big jar of formula last night.

SneakyFrog kittens are made of some sort of non-Newtonian liquid, seriously. They can bounce off things and squeeze into tiny spots. Though, I would've had a heart attack too.

:neckbeard:

Glad the kittehs are doing well.

This little fucker is on a sleep-eat-drive the other animals bonkers-sleep-eat cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Has anyone volunteered with Dogs on Deployment? Assuming our living situation allows it we're contemplating volunteering to be dog boarders in a year or so.