Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That guy has had a cat at some point and knows what they can do. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Having a new cat escape into some unexpected nook or cranny of a house is just a part of cat butlering.

My family's last kitten managed to climb the chimney and got to a ledge about six feet off the ground, which took some careful work to get her out of.

She then pulled up a corner of the carpet and hid under it Tom and Jerry style.

My current fuzzbutts managed to get up the chimney in my current place, but happily gave up when they couldn't find a ledge to perch on.

The day I brought Peridot home I left her alone for a few hours and came back to discover her trying to escape up the chimney. Thankfully she ran back into her carrier to hide and i moved her to the bathroom while i spent the next few days making sure the chimney was securely barricaded closed (if you know steven universe yes she got her name because of being locked in the bathroom by her Enemies who were actually trying to make friends with her). I was more worried about her hurting herself than actually escaping so I guess good to hear other cats have done the same thing and not hurt themselves in the attempt.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ceiling cat updates:

After being terrified on the kitchen counters last night, he eventually descended with some encouragement from his friend and then ate a ton of wet and dry food (making up for lost time in the ceiling) and drank a lot of water. So that's all good.
He sat in the litter box for a while so I'm not sure if he just really had to go or if he's still stressed/maybe dealing with some urinary problems. We need to keep on eye on that.

This morning he's found his way under our very low couch, once again abandoning his slightly more rotund friend to our care.

We managed to feed him some wet food on a spoon and I bought/plugged in a feliway diffuser to hopefully help calm him down.

e:
Shortly after I posted this, our gray friend managed to ply him out of the couch with some mewing. He's now exploring the kitchen.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 3, 2020

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ceiling cat updates:

After being terrified on the kitchen counters last night, he eventually descended with some encouragement from his friend and then ate a ton of wet and dry food (making up for lost time in the ceiling) and drank a lot of water. So that's all good.
He sat in the litter box for a while so I'm not sure if he just really had to go or if he's still stressed/maybe dealing with some urinary problems. We need to keep on eye on that.

This morning he's found his way under our very low couch, once again abandoning his slightly more rotund friend to our care.

We managed to feed him some wet food on a spoon and I bought/plugged in a feliway diffuser to hopefully help calm him down.

e:
Shortly after I posted this, our gray friend managed to ply him out of the couch with some mewing. He's now exploring the kitchen.

handsome!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Looking out for his scared friend. A good cat. :kimchi:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Scaredy cat spent most of the rest of the day under the couch until he got lured out by some dry food in the evening. He made some rounds around the living room, his cat tree perch, and even hopped up on the sofa with us and had a few treats and made a few laps until he went into the kitchen, knocked over an empty bottle, and right back under the couch he went. Surprisingly he came out a little bit after and went right back to his perch.

There was a lot of progress today.

Here he is watching his buddy play with the cat dancer toy. He may not be ready to play with us just yet but he's very intrigued.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sounds like awesome progress! And a much more appropriate hiding place involving less property damage, good job cat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scaredy cat spent most of the rest of the day under the couch until he got lured out by some dry food in the evening. He made some rounds around the living room, his cat tree perch, and even hopped up on the sofa with us and had a few treats and made a few laps until he went into the kitchen, knocked over an empty bottle, and right back under the couch he went. Surprisingly he came out a little bit after and went right back to his perch.

There was a lot of progress today.

Here he is watching his buddy play with the cat dancer toy. He may not be ready to play with us just yet but he's very intrigued.

What good boys.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

What good boys.

They really are. The grey one is the sweetest cat I've ever met and the socks one is probably the most skittish.
And now for an update:

Both of them spent most of the day sleeping, which makes sense since they spent most of last night running around the house getting into wacky cat hijinks. (We've got some more toys on the way that they can use by themselves so hopefully that will inspire them to play more beyond just our wand/laser time)
We managed to feed the scaredy cat some wet food and tuna but he is very particular about wet food it seems. He only likes it heated and from a spoon under the couch right now.
He comes out for dry food strangely enough.

This evening when he came out we managed to play some laser chasing.

We also fed him some treats from our hands and I get a head bap and a little bit of scratching in.

Another good day.

e:
Another later in the evening big breakthrough (I guess the little one gets a lot braver when the sun goes down)

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 5, 2020

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

e:
Another later in the evening big breakthrough (I guess the little one gets a lot braver when the sun goes down)

I love these good friends

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Last night I dreamed that I was petting a chubby orange cat. I wonder where that came from?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dick Trauma posted:

Last night I dreamed that I was petting a chubby orange cat. I wonder where that came from?

Orange cats come from the shelter, in my experience. You should go find your dream buddy!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

Everyone's heard of that farm where old dogs go to live out the rest of their lives, lay in the sun, chase chickens and sleep as much as they want. My wife and I live on that farm.

Not letting this one go by unloved. Y'all do good work. :kimchi:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Slight setback with the cat duo yesterday (we had to corral them into a bedroom to get the wall/bathtub repaired and there was a lot of noise).
Today, after another fairly slow start, the black and white fella (named Bowie now) came out and decided he wanted some pets and to play.
The gray one (Fezz) also wanted to play a bit but not as aggressively. They really have a younger/older brother dynamic where the little one seems mostly to annoy the bigger one but he still cleans him and snuggles him and everything, even if he doesn't like sharing the food.

Here they are "playing" with the cat dancer

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I missed this but I love all these dogs and would like to come hang out on your farm please.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

At what age/size is it safe to let kittens out of their kitten pen and into the rest of the house permanently?

Kenan and Kelly are approaching the 7-week-old mark, and the former is now able to climb up onto our couch all by himself.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As long as you can keep an eye on them, let them explore. They should be getting close to 2 pounds as well, which is when they can be spayed and neutered.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

She just hit 2 pounds. She's bigger than her other 2 littermates.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I love their tiny paws :kimchi:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/tramL116/status/1271850016777388039?s=20

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats not a cat its some form of steam shovel

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

sneakyfrog posted:

Holy crap. Those exact words formed in my brain as I watched. That is some serious Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel action.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
So. Uhm we picked up another member of the horde last week.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

sneakyfrog posted:

I gotta see the back half of that cat because I’m imagining this:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

Not a lot of hair, did it get shaved at the shelter?

(Congratulations. What's their name?)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
William

Yeah all that bottle feeding advice from the last few pages is coming in handy about now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sneakyfrog posted:

holy cow what kind of monster would leave a baby out in front of your house????

(congratulations!!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sneakyfrog posted:

Were they left on the doorstep in a basket, or did someone just drive by and fast-ball them over the fence wrapped in blankets like a padded football?

(Congratulations!)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kitties enjoying an afternoon by the window.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sorry if this is the wrong place to vent, but are shelters/rescues generally just horrible at responding to emails and phone calls? My wife and I have been looking to adopt for a while now and have sent inquiries for at least 20 dogs throughout the past two months and have gotten zero responses.

The one time that we managed to get someone on the phone, my wife was told that she needed to “submit the application at least thirty times to get our attention”. Like what the gently caress?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Everyone wants to adopt a pet during quarantine. Shelters/rescues are literally empty here.

In general they can be disorganized, too, and not always great at newfangled things like email, let alone online applications. Are you trying through one organization or a bunch? If they're open, you could stop in and do your best to demonstrate that you're sane.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The unfortunate truth thanks to beervirus is by the time you see a listing for a pet there's probably already 10+ applications in. Rescues are having kittens/puppies that need fostering get claimed in <1 minute.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a great problem.

sorry though if you are looking.

if you want a dog Id be glad to pass one along though to a good home

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kenan and Kelly have officially graduated from their makeshift kitten pen to the whole entire house. :3:

They are also stuck to me like glue, and spend most of their non-sleeping-eating-or-playing-with-each-other time following me around and demanding to sit in my lap and crawl around on my chest and shoulders. Which is adorable, but also kinda distracting sometimes like when I’m trying to read or type stuff on my iPad and I don’t have a comfortable way to hold it because they’re blocking me from doing so, or when I can’t concentrate on something because they’re crawling around demanding to be petted and snuggled with. It’s also keeping our other two cats from getting to sit on my lap at all, since they’re both still pretty wary of the new kittens.

How do I get these babies more comfortable around my dad? I’ve been the only one handling and feeding them for most of their lives now, so they obviously love me, but they’re not crazy about sitting in my dad’s lap or being petted or handled by him like they are with me since they haven’t been around him as much before now. They’re not SCARED of him, they just don’t really want to gently caress with him. But I need them to get more okay with him, because eventually I’m gonna have to leave them for awhile to go back to school in another city, and when that happens dad will be the only one there feeding them and taking care of them.

Also at what age is it considered safe to stop weighing kittens every day? These two are about eight and a half weeks old now, I think? They’re old enough to get their first vaccinations, which they’re about to get in the next few days, but I haven’t weighed them since *checks weight chart*...... gently caress, it’s already been a whole week! So the last time I weighed them, Kenan was slightly over 2 lbs and Kelly was about 1.5 lbs. I’m assuming I should continue to weigh them at least once or twice a week until after they’ve been spayed/neutered?

Oh, and speaking of neutering, Kenan doesn’t have a visible nutsack yet... do some male cats just not have balls on the outside? Because I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that happen before either with our cats or some of the feral ones in our yard, but I’m not positive.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 19, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If you want them to love him, have him feed them. It's like 100% that easy.

I'm so glad they're thriving now!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
to be fair i think they are mostly out of the woods as far as everyday weighing.

once they hit that stage cats are pretty low effort.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mistaya posted:

If you want them to love him, have him feed them. It's like 100% that easy.

I'm so glad they're thriving now!

sneakyfrog posted:

to be fair i think they are mostly out of the woods as far as everyday weighing.

once they hit that stage cats are pretty low effort.

Kickass, thanks!

On an unrelated note, Kenan is apparently figuring out how to use my iPad. He already knows how to scroll up and down on it. So that might be a thing now.

THEY’RE LEARNING :tinfoil:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 20, 2020

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

going to need video proof of this iPad usage :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

Kickass, thanks!

On an unrelated note, Kenan is apparently figuring out how to use my iPad. He already knows how to scroll up and down on it. So that might be a thing now.

THEY’RE LEARNING :tinfoil:

Well let them say hello then. :colbert: