Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Not my thread, but helping animals in distress is definitely the spirit here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not my thread, but helping animals in distress is definitely the spirit here

:same:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Need some cat round-up advice.

I have a reputation where I live as a cat person and someone's been dumping little ones on my property, 3 so far across 2 months, I cannot afford to keep them, I've made one my pal and I'll be taking him to the shelter soon, yesterday another one got dumped here and I'm pretty sure I can win him over, the problem is another one that dumped along with the first one, he will not let me near and bolts if he so much as senses me, need some way to get him without hurting him.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Alteisen posted:

Need some cat round-up advice.

I have a reputation where I live as a cat person and someone's been dumping little ones on my property, 3 so far across 2 months, I cannot afford to keep them, I've made one my pal and I'll be taking him to the shelter soon, yesterday another one got dumped here and I'm pretty sure I can win him over, the problem is another one that dumped along with the first one, he will not let me near and bolts if he so much as senses me, need some way to get him without hurting him.

Some cat shelters and such will let people borrow safe traps to try and wrangle stray kitties with. Can you maybe call a few to see if any will do that, then leave the trap open with some smelly wet food inside to lure him in?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the live animal "humane" traps for like raccoons and opossums are going to be the bet here.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Havahart...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

something like that. see if your shelter will help you out.

Think they make an xtra small as well.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
As per usual, go with what Sneaky Frog said. Those traps can be very effective/safe.

Also, Butterscotch wishes you all a good morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpQLMeOIak

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I want a giant rear end cat :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SneakyFrog posted:

I want a giant rear end cat :smith:

I want to know more about rear end cats

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

I want to know more about rear end cats

..... I dont want a cat around the house i admire the rear end of.. that would be weird.

"rear end" would be an exponential notation of the "giant" in this case.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
A giant-rear end cat versus a giant rear end-cat, one could say

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frog::respek::unsmith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Some of the best cats I've ever had were foster failures. :unsmith: Keep up the good work.

(the mlem pic is :swoon:)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

RedTonic posted:

(the mlem pic is :swoon:)

Someone on the cute thread posted an Instagram with some solid mlem action: https://www.instagram.com/catswiththeirtonguesout

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

the Sailors went to the city for adoption yesterday, I got to say bye to them Wednesday night and give them all kisses from me and LiG. Rose said we did a super good job with them, she was really impressed.

Embers is with Rose's sister, who is also really good at urgent and critical care for kittens. So, I know she's in good hands.

This year has just been brutal, though. We lost another kitten at the vet's d/t kidney failure. I don't think I met her, but it's still really sad.

In better news, a kitten that we've had for a while named Goth got fixed yesterday, and after he's done recovering, he's going back home to his person who's a cool veteran. He's so sweet and friendly, I'm really happy he's going home soon.

The house is freakishly quiet. I've gotten hella nice sleep, but it's weird to have all this quiet and free time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So today I go downstairs to go get one of my boys like I always do at night and this completely beat to poo poo, scruffy bastard comes up to me, first hissing a little then meowing, it takes me a few moments but I place his face, I know this cat but I haven't seen him in 4 years.

His name is Sylvester he used to belong to a couple not super far from my house, I tried going over there but it seems the family moved away, now I'm not stupid, I've seen this to many times, I doubt this little fella will make it through the night, all I can do is keep it warm till it happens and it just breaks my heart so goddamn much and its patently obvious this animal has been on the street for years, he is just utterly beat to poo poo, disheveled, missing patches of hair, drooling, one of his ears is all notched and won't stay straight.

All I wanna do is cuddle him and tell him its all going to be ok but I know better, I know it won't be ok and it utterly destroys me, I'm so tired of seeing this, our little animal friends deserve better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smith:

there is a special place for people who abandon animals.

preferably somewhere off the freeway in a FL swamp.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kitten update.

it has learned to drift on the laminate flooring. its both :3: and :iia:

will attempt to get video, but the little fucker basically does zoom bys now and will only chill or cuddle with you if you are doing something or on the computer.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Alteisen posted:

So today I go downstairs to go get one of my boys like I always do at night and this completely beat to poo poo, scruffy bastard comes up to me, first hissing a little then meowing, it takes me a few moments but I place his face, I know this cat but I haven't seen him in 4 years.

His name is Sylvester he used to belong to a couple not super far from my house, I tried going over there but it seems the family moved away, now I'm not stupid, I've seen this to many times, I doubt this little fella will make it through the night, all I can do is keep it warm till it happens and it just breaks my heart so goddamn much and its patently obvious this animal has been on the street for years, he is just utterly beat to poo poo, disheveled, missing patches of hair, drooling, one of his ears is all notched and won't stay straight.

All I wanna do is cuddle him and tell him its all going to be ok but I know better, I know it won't be ok and it utterly destroys me, I'm so tired of seeing this, our little animal friends deserve better.

I know the odds are against him, but did he make it? If so how is he doing?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o74BnFSr8g

CAT STREAM! Person is fostering kitties.

They had a litter who had possibly been kept locked in a cage and who didn't try to explore. And now they're exploring and playing with all the other kitties. MY HEART.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 15, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chaosfeather posted:

I know the odds are against him, but did he make it? If so how is he doing?

He made it.

I don't know how, I can't even begin to describe how utterly baffled I am right now but yea he's alive, I took him to the vet with what meager funds I have and in no particular order he has:

Dental infection, pretty much needs complete tooth removal.
Mild respiratory infection
Full of fleas
Mite infestation in his ears
Malnourished
In need of vitamins

Vet gave him a few injections and just told me to keep feeding him, he says he probably looked like was at death's door because he hadn't eaten in so long but now he's getting meals and has water at all times he's perking up.

Much as I'd like to say I'll see him through his twilight years I can't, I just had a major electrical issue repaired in my home and most of the stuff he needs will require nearly 800 dollars wish I do not have nor can afford anytime soon, especially since I start nursing school in a little 3 weeks, come wednesday I'm taking him to a no kill shelter along with his meds and I'll pledge to make a donation every month to help him out, wish I could do more but its all I can do for now.

I'm just glad he's alive

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o74BnFSr8g

CAT STREAM! Person is fostering kitties.

They had a litter who had possibly been kept locked in a cage and who didn't try to explore. And now they're exploring and playing with all the other kitties. MY HEART.

Around the 18:36 mark he's fallen asleep with no fewer than four kittens sleeping on him. :kimchi:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

Around the 18:36 mark he's fallen asleep with no fewer than four kittens sleeping on him. :kimchi:

The kittens woke up and started wrestling while he was asleep. :kimchi:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Alteisen posted:

He made it.

I don't know how, I can't even begin to describe how utterly baffled I am right now but yea he's alive, I took him to the vet with what meager funds I have and in no particular order he has:

Dental infection, pretty much needs complete tooth removal.
Mild respiratory infection
Full of fleas
Mite infestation in his ears
Malnourished
In need of vitamins

Vet gave him a few injections and just told me to keep feeding him, he says he probably looked like was at death's door because he hadn't eaten in so long but now he's getting meals and has water at all times he's perking up.

Much as I'd like to say I'll see him through his twilight years I can't, I just had a major electrical issue repaired in my home and most of the stuff he needs will require nearly 800 dollars wish I do not have nor can afford anytime soon, especially since I start nursing school in a little 3 weeks, come wednesday I'm taking him to a no kill shelter along with his meds and I'll pledge to make a donation every month to help him out, wish I could do more but its all I can do for now.

I'm just glad he's alive

Hey, as far as I'm concerned by taking him in and getting him to a shelter you've saved his life. If I had a job I'd offer to make a donation to at least get the dental taken care of - that's something that will deteriorate over time and can affect his health as it does so, but is also loving expensive. Call the shelter ahead of time and make sure they will take him?

Good on you for helping this poor guy out. As he gets regular food and water those last two will sort themselves out. The fleas and mites, although gross and disgusting, are easy enough to take care of for the shelter too.

Many thanks for the update, I'm glad he made it through the night.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
New Tinny Kitten kitten momma and kittens: http://livestream.com/tinykittens/felicity

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well, it's finally happened. My two month layabout has convinced Butterscotch that I'm a bed. This is pretty much my default now.

Also, I present notamused.jpg

Chili fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 21, 2016

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Well, it's finally happened. My two month layabout has convinced Butterscotch that I'm a bed. This is pretty much my default now.

Welp, we won't be hearing from Chili any more. Suffocated by Butters probably wasn't a terrible way to go.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i want a dirigible catte :/

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

butters looks a lot less anxious there than normal

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

I have that shirt!

I am also mistaken for a bed regularly.

The nerdy cat lover life, man.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dismas posted:

butters looks a lot less anxious there than normal

He looks a little bit like he's trying to imitate his human's facial expression there. :kimchi: Butters~

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Butters looks like he needs basically all the snuggles.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

"Are you there God? It's me, Butters"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sylvester's gone, he seemed to be perking up and went to bed after a good meal but when I went to check on him he was gone.

I guess his body had just taken to much abuse. :smith:

Feel like poo poo, I know I did everything but goddammit.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You kept him comfortable at the end and that's as important as anything else. He died loved.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanted him to make it so badly, after he went through he deserved it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That was a kind thing to do.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Alteisen posted:

I just wanted him to make it so badly, after he went through he deserved it.

He came to you. It's the best and worst thing I can say. Who knows what had happened to him in those years, but at some point he was abandoned (or might as well have been), and he went looking for someone he knew to help. Who knows how long that journey was? Months, at least.

Through all those months, through all his struggles, he was trying to find the area he knew, and he finally found a familiar face in you. You took him in, and let him live his final days, as few as they were, without hunger, without fear, without being alone, in a familiar place. He found you, and you rewarded his trust. He died with a full belly, a safe place to sleep, and the kindness of someone who knew his name.

You did great. I know it doesn't make it hurt any less, but you did great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You did a lot. He didnt die alone and hungry. Thats a little less misery in the world because of you.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sometimes, it's just about reframing. When I lost my first foster kitty, it was incident heartbreaking. One of the things that helped me a lot, though, was my forever cat, Monty. He had befriended the kitty as much as I've ever seen him befriend a kitty. As we prepared the kitty we lost, he snuck into her room and while we weren't looking he started sneaking bites of her dinner.

Got a good laugh out of us that he just didn't seem to give the tiniest of fucks.

It helps to remember, sometimes, that the sadness and grief we feel is part of what makes the human experience special and complex. Animals, most of them anyway, are focused on the moment. The moments you provided for an animal in need made the animal as totally happy as possible. And now? There's no pain.

Hold on to the memory as long as you need or want to. Your time and efforts are appreciated by the folks in this thread, and are truly inspiring. But perhaps take even more comfort in the more simple and direct notion that under your care a cat had good moments, and then suddenly, relief.

Anyway, I hope this isn't too hippy dippy, but I love you all. I have weird anxiety all the time about all of the animals out there that NEED my help and aren't getting it. Sometimes reminding myself that they are more closely connected to pure nature helps me feel better. But recently, it's thinking about all of you, doing your bit that's helped me. So, thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm reminded of a C.S. Lewis quote from the movie Shadowlands: "The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."

We feel pain when we lose them because we have the love for them. The pain is terrible. A cat at the shelter I got (overly) attached to passed suddenly about a month ago. I was (am) devastated.

And as much as it hurts and sucks I wouldn't trade it because I would never want to diminish my capacity to love and care for them like I do.

Alteisen, you are the best of people. Take time to take care of yourself now. Never forget you committed a beautiful act of love.