Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Greetings Foster Friends

I owe you all a story. If you’re not interested in the story, just scroll down to the bottom. This does have some tough parts, but the ending is happy.

January of this year, as many of you know, my wife and I were met with the unfortunate reality of having to rehome our two boys, Monty and Butterscotch. We were private with those reasons at the time, but it largely came down to the fact that our newborn baby daughter was showing pretty clear signs of cat allergies. This wasn’t a surprise as both my wife and I are pretty drat allergic to cats. But, while we can tolerate it, it was not advisable from our daughter’s doctor to continue to have a newborn exist in an environment with breathing concerns. This was a fear of ours, but it finally became realized when the symptoms worsened and we had to follow through on what felt like an impossibly difficult action: rehoming our boys.

Butterscotch was the easier to rehome. He was more social and we knew people, personally, who were interested. We also hoped that perhaps only rehoming one cat a time would clear the other as not being an allergic problem. But, after he left, it was clear that it was still not optimal. So we rehomed Monty through the SPCA we fostered so many kittens through. They were phenomenal with us and I have confidence that Monty found a good home. They do good work.

That is where Monty’s story ends for us. We wish him well, and I still think about him.

Turns out though, the cat gods had a different plan for Butterscotch.

He went to one of my wife’s former coworkers. A person who we came to like who only gave us reason to believe that she would be a good owner for Butterscotch. Everything seemed perfect: She already had adopted a fat cat that she was helping make weight and she was always friendly at work to both my wife and myself when I visited.

So, Butterscotch went to her. She sent us a couple of pictures here and there for a couple of weeks, but communication slowly phased out. I was expecting as much. My wife left her job to go back to school so they didn’t have as many opportunities to talk. We were hopeful, though, that Butterscotch was happy and healthy.

Cut to one month ago.

We get a call from our old vet, back in the town we relocated away from. They found Butterscotch. More specifically, Butterscotch turned up on the porch of an old couple. They brought him in, got a quick scan of his microchip and our name popped up. His new oner had not reregistered him. That wasn’t a surprise, people don’t think to do things. What was a surprise?

Butterscotch weighed a little under 9 pounds.

Yes, the cat who once clocked in over 30 pounds was below 9.

We texted his owner, she responded that “Oh, yeah I had been letting him out, and he just didn’t come back one day. That was about a month ago. The last time that happened, he was crashing with a neighbor, so I figured he was ok. Where is he, I’ll go get him?"

Ladies and gentlegoons, it’s hard for me to convey just how much rage built up in my heart when I read that text. And not just rage, disappointment. In both her and myself. It was devastating. She drat well knew that Butterscotch was not an outdoor cat. Not only did we tell her, but you only have to watch The Butter Mile once on youtube to get an idea of just how little interest Butters has in being out of a home. This wasn't a one time mistake, she was making a habit of putting him outside.

We entrusted her with caring for our boy. By her failing us, we had failed him. loving painful.

We didn’t respond to her text at the time, largely because life suddenly became very chaotic. After all of the dust settled, we realized that she hadn't followed up with us at all over the week of his intensive care. And, since then, she still hasn't followed up even once.

I went and picked up Butters from the kind couple who found him. He had turned up a few days before, on their porch, and he was not in great shape. He was still his kind and smooshy buttery self, but not in great health.

We took him back to our house, set him up in one of our bathrooms in quarantine, got rid of his fleas, and started feeding him, trying to get weight back on him.

We also couldn’t quite stop our very eager 17-month old from discovering him in the bathroom. When she eventually managed to see him, she squealed and screamed and instantly fell in love. What’s more…. She wasn’t allergic. We had rehomed him first, so we couldn’t run that test, but she was hugging him and rubbing her face all over him... and no sniffles or anything. Turns out it was just Monty, which makes sense. They have very different coats.

So it seemed like all was well. We were gonna keep this cat, because hey… he was still ours anyway. We hadn’t heard from his owner at this point for over a week, and she never bothered to re-register him. She also seemed to make a habit of having him be outside for some god drat reason.

The next day, things took a turn for the worse. His breathing was very labored and he wasn’t eating. Big red flag for him.

I’ll be brief about the details of this part because most of it is just hard, sad, and of course hilariously expensive. Suffice to say, after a lot of tears, nights in the hospital, medication, close calls, and mountains of money, Butterscotch is in good health and is acting like himself yet again. Being out in the elements for a month brought on congestive heart failure. Which, while not curable, is manageable, and the vets believe that, with proper meds, he has a good chance at living out the rest of his life as normal. The positive side of this is that the vets could not believe how quickly he recovered once he was on the medication he needed. They actually told me that they all would gather around his cage to watch him eat because it was like nothing they had ever seen before… that’s our Butters alright.

He is in our care now, and he isn’t going loving anywhere. Sidenote is that, for the first time that we’ve known him, he’s actually at the weight he should be. Shame he didn’t get there the right way, and lord knows he’s already vying to get back to being a porker with how he’s eating.

I held off on posting until now because I wanted to ensure that Butters's health stabilized so that when I came back to report I could give you all as much certainty as I could that we're in a good place. He's been steady for about three weeks now. Fingers all kinda crossed that it stays this way.

So to those of you who scrolled down, past all of that, the takeaway here is…

Butterscotch is Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aw, Butters! I'm so sorry that the rehoming ended so disastrously, but I'm glad he's back with you and your kid's doing well with him.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Good job Butters, you learned that one weird trick that doctors don't want you to know about!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This can't possibly be Butter-

BUTTERSCOTCH!

I'm so sorry Chili, that's absolutely monstrous of them and poor Butterscotch... I'm so glad he managed to find his way back to you. That chip saved his life. If anything happened to him we'd all be devastated.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Butters!!! I'm happy he's back with you and everything worked out. It's awful that it had to happen the way it did, though. gently caress his temporary "owner".

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

mistaya posted:

This can't possibly be Butter-

BUTTERSCOTCH!

I'm so sorry Chili, that's absolutely monstrous of them and poor Butterscotch... I'm so glad he managed to find his way back to you. That chip saved his life. If anything happened to him we'd all be devastated.

Yeah... I shudder to think about what would have happened if that person was suddenly responsible for all of the medical care he now needs. To say the least, it's a bit much. 4 different pills twice a day, probably for the rest of his life and some pretty frequent monitoring at the vet. I don't think she would've been up for getting him this far, let alone dealing with his new needs.

This does raise a good point to make sure your pets are microchipped!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh, and posting in here felt too sad for me since we had to rehome our cats, but I have been quietly following along. And oh boy, Pumpkin just looks like a Butterscotch in the making.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
If you want to see him moving about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0cwCpmTh8

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well we've missed you too, so hope to see you posting again! Have some Pumpkin pre-de-flea-ing, I finally managed to get him to sit still.

Pumpkin and Cinnamon have learned how to run up the back of my legs and flying leap off my shoulders onto the table where I was opening the food tins so I have now moved all food tins out of the room for everyone's safety.

They did this in perfect sync at lunchtime, one off each shoulder, though I would have been more impressed if it wasn't for the stabbing trail of pain left in their wakes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

If you want to see him moving about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0cwCpmTh8
I got teary reading about what happened. I'm so happy he was found and that he's back with people who care about him. Welcome back, buddy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so glad Butters is okay and I want to hurt his "owner" because christ

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I don't even have words about that, except to be grateful that she didn't bother to get the chip info changed. Bless the couple who brought him to the vet, though.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Welcome back!

Booger Presley fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 9, 2019

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

baby loev butter

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
He’s back!!

I hope Monty is well with his new owners. That is such an awful thing to have to go through once, let alone twice.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Still just as fun to take pictures of this cat. Portrait mode was made for Butterboy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, please tell me you at least sent that person a very rude message or called them dirty names or something. Because jesus christ they need to be told exactly how much of an rear end in a top hat they are.

But now at least your kiddo gets to grow up with a super affectionate kitty that they can love all over. Its really the bestest thing ever.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Oh poor dear sweet baby! I'm so glad he found his way back to you and that you can keep him.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Oh my gosh, that poor sweet Butterboy. I'm so glad he's back with you and is somewhere safe and warm. Welcome back Butters!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Poor fluffy child! I'm glad that story has a happy ending and that he's back where he clearly belongs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Let me know if you need to kill some motherfuckers because I've got some spare time and a garden hose.

There's no greater sin than abandoning a creature that depends on you. I'm just so glad you have so much room in your heart that you can save his life twice. His life is immeasurably improved by your entrance into it. You've already done more than anyone can reasonably ask.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tendai posted:

I got teary reading about what happened. I'm so happy he was found and that he's back with people who care about him. Welcome back, buddy.

Exactly this. Makes me so angry even the day after reading this. Welcome home Butters.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I appreciate the good wishes, and even a little bit of the anger directed towards that owner. We haven't followed up with her and we don't want to. We're focusing on our family now, Butters included, and she doesn't deserve any more of our consideration. I have far too much to think/worry about on a daily basis.

I live with a breakfast bandit, after all.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
It belongs in a museum.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely it belongs on a cathedral ceiling?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Chili posted:

I appreciate the good wishes, and even a little bit of the anger directed towards that owner. We haven't followed up with her and we don't want to. We're focusing on our family now, Butters included, and she doesn't deserve any more of our consideration. I have far too much to think/worry about on a daily basis.

I live with a breakfast bandit, after all.

I like how Chili Jr is all "Just you try it, cat. I dare you. I DARE you."

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Butters means business, he's rolled his sleeve up. :imunfunny:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You're good people Chili. Butters is a blessing to us all!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I love his little bow tie. :kimchi:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

What a saga! I'm glad things have worked out* and your family is reunited. And yeah, you're good people.

* Except for the whole thing of Butters needing medication for the rest of this life. :(

He's looking so comfy and photogenic again though. :3:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Bathsheba status: cute.

She's started hanging out with us for at least half the time we're around, beginning to get comfortable being up on furniture, and even jumps up on the bed with us sometimes. Turns out she's a toe biter, so we generally shut her out of our room when we sleep. She also really loves wrestling violently with our faux fur rug in the bedroom.

She's still a bit leary of hands, but will let us pet her now quite often, especially around feeding times. Oh, and she's pretty photogenic now that she'll let us get close enough with a camera:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

This pictuer makes her look very small. I want to very delicately pet her. :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This pictuer makes her look very small. I want to very delicately pet her. :3:

Indeed, those are some good stubby gams.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Seriously, how did that cat have nine kittens? She's so tiny!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chili posted:

Still just as fun to take pictures of this cat. Portrait mode was made for Butterboy.

Although I am furious at the people you re-homed Butters with (mostly for the abandonment, swiftly followed by not being loving honest with you. How hard is it to say "you know what, we aren't a great match, do you want to take him back and re-home him or would you prefer a foster do this?") I am mostly relieved that he got help and is back to being himself.

Poor guy had the worst weight loss program possible. Welcome home, Butters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm happy Butterscotch is home with his family. If only every lost kitty had a happy ending.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Seriously, how did that cat have nine kittens? She's so tiny!

It is a mystery.

I dunno, one theory I have is that she picked up another mother's brood and took care of them on top of her own.

But apparently cats can have really big litters. I think the most recorded was 15 or something. Remember to spay or neuter your animals folks.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Hi, I just lurk but I'm really glad Butter's is safe at home again.

You're all such good people here.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
oh drat, I've had this queued up to be posted for a week now, totally forgot about it:

me never posted:

so what's butterscotch been up to these days anyway? thread title needs to stay relevant dagnabbit.

now I'm happy to have gotten any news, but also incredibly sad to hear all that. poor butters, thank you for taking care of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I swear these little furballs just went from needing one hand to pick them up to two hands overnight. :psyduck: