Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Boogalo posted:

So...potential new friends.

I prefer “House guests”. Heh. I can’t keep them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

mcmagic posted:

I prefer “House guests”. Heh. I can’t keep them.

I prefer "Australian for Beer"

edit: fosters.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hey Mr Chili - how is our friend Butterscotch doing these days? Hopefully getting all the foods he is allowed, and all the attention he can handle!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

I finally got a foster! This is miss Swiss Cheese. She's somewhere around 3 weeks old, so we're still doing bottles but will be introducing solids soon. She's also the biggest snugglebug in the world; my daughter has discovered that she loves being swaddled and held like a baby.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

aaaaaa :kimchi:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy hell that is lethally cute.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm 90% sure they are all girls so left to right:

Jesse, Aerith and Tifa

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mcmagic posted:

I'm 90% sure they are all girls so left to right:

Jesse, Aerith and Tifa

Should’a named the first one Yuffie. COME ON MAN :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Should’a named the first one Yuffie. COME ON MAN :colbert:

LOL I've only played the remake.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Goober Peas posted:

Hey Mr Chili - how is our friend Butterscotch doing these days? Hopefully getting all the foods he is allowed, and all the attention he can handle!

Yeah, I need to know this as well, see that little Butterface.

EDIT: Also hope you and your family are also safe and well of course!

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 31, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kenan and Kelly ate their first wet food without milk replacer in it out of bowls yesterday! :3:

Do I still need to supplement them with a bottle? I just went about 24 to 36 hours without bottle-feeding them at all, and they don’t appear to be starving or close to death from it. They’re right about 6 weeks old now, which is old enough to be fully weaned.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah 6 weeks don't need a bottle anymore. They would be perfectly fine with free-feed dry kitten food and wet food supplementation. That's what I've always done for any fosters I get at that age.

Swiss Cheese is starting to get feisty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ae1hGbrWHw

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That inanimate stuffed kitten doesn't stand a chance.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So my wife and I recently adopted two rescue cats and the smaller of the two was really skittish and found his way into a gap in our unfinished basement ceiling. This is the start of his second day up there. We've seen him a few times but so far it doesn't seem like he's come out to get food. We put water/food up in the ceiling where I last saw him so hopefully he'll at least get something, maybe.

How do we get this cat that doesn't like us/know us out of the floor joists? I'm open to taking down the ceiling if it comes to that, I don't want him trapped up there.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Everyone's heard of that farm where old dogs go to live out the rest of their lives, lay in the sun, chase chickens and sleep as much as they want. My wife and I live on that farm. We currently have four rescues and one foster and live on a 400 acre working farm. (We also have around 30 chickens and 10 guinea fowl around, but no other livestock. Yet.) The four rescues are all older dogs, from a few different rescues. The foster dog is around four, which makes him the only dog on the farm under ten years old. Most of our dogs have either experienced trauma or have medical issues that made them hard to home. Here they are in order of appearance. Please excuse the fact that our fenceline is incredibly overgrown, our weed whacker is broken and I keep meaning to replace it, but then I think I can fix it, but then I realize I need to replace it.

Daisy is my wife's original dog, and is an 11 year old beagle/Aussie shepherd mix. We think. Daisy is an abuse case who came to my wife when she was young. She is a small ball of anxiety that is afraid of strangers, especially men, and loud noises. I was one of the rare people she took to immediately (she precedes me in the house), and my wife tells me that's how she knew I was an alright guy.

Mr. Collin is a 12 year old basset hound/pug mix, who also preceded me. Collin was born blind - both eyes failed to develop correctly. The breeder had no use for a blind dog, of course, and immediately punted him to a shelter, where a rescue took him in and he found his way to my wife at a young age. His shelter name was Catfish and y'know, I can kind of see it. Collin is essentially a living hot water bottle and just wants to be up against you at all times. He is extremely gassy and does not believe in personal space. His nails are terrible because it's an all out battle trying to trim them.

Brody is around ten years old and is a who-the-gently caress-knows. We actually did one of those DNA tests on him, for whatever that's worth, and came back as a staffy/shih tzu mix, which uhhh. Sure. Hobbies include getting his massive head stuck in various places and licking my pillow until it's saturated. He once got a tick on his penis.

Edna is supposedly around 10 as well, but we're unsure of that. Supposedly they aged her based on her teeth, and her teeth are all hosed up from living for years in a dump outside of Bangkok. She came to us via a partnership between a local senior dog sanctuary and the amazing Soi Dog group, which rehomes strays in Thailand. She also has vision problems and is extremely wary of strangers, especially men. She took to my wife quickly but took several months before she'd come near me. She now greets me in the morning when I get off work by squealing loudly - almost like a guinea pig - and wagging her tail so hard her entire butt moves.

Those fangs, tho

Lastly, our current foster is Roscoe, who is a miniature shetland. We don't know much of Roscoe's backstory, outside that he is around four years old and was in a local shelter. He came to us pretty severely underweight and matted. He is the most difficult dog behaviorally - we assume he went through some poo poo, because fast movements and loud noises cause him to panic. It took my wife and I awhile to learn his triggers and his tells, and we've both been bit a few times. We're not experts on animal behavior by any means, and it's been slow going trying to make him feel safe and secure. He adores my wife, which is good, but also tries to guard her from the other dogs and from me, which is... less good. Roscoe also has seizures, which we're treating with medication, but he panics when he feels what we assume is an aura before they come on and will lash out. He also really enjoys sharing my pillow at night, which can be a little unnerving, giving the biting. He's incredibly destructive with toys but loves to play fetch with the plastic squeakers he tears from inside of them. He also loves to mark things.

Ockhams Crowbar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 1, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So my wife and I recently adopted two rescue cats and the smaller of the two was really skittish and found his way into a gap in our unfinished basement ceiling. This is the start of his second day up there. We've seen him a few times but so far it doesn't seem like he's come out to get food. We put water/food up in the ceiling where I last saw him so hopefully he'll at least get something, maybe.

How do we get this cat that doesn't like us/know us out of the floor joists? I'm open to taking down the ceiling if it comes to that, I don't want him trapped up there.

Shy cats need a hiding place to hang out most of the time until they get used to you. This process could take weeks or months. If he seems to be eating, drinking and using the litter box, then it might be ok to leave him up there until he's ready. If not, then for sure be prepared to open up the ceiling. If you do that, just make sure there's a hidey hole somewhere he can get to easily, since the process of extracting him from the ceiling will be pretty traumatic for him.

It might also be a good idea to shut the cats out of the basement in future if you can.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Shy cats need a hiding place to hang out most of the time until they get used to you. This process could take weeks or months. If he seems to be eating, drinking and using the litter box, then it might be ok to leave him up there until he's ready. If not, then for sure be prepared to open up the ceiling. If you do that, just make sure there's a hidey hole somewhere he can get to easily, since the process of extracting him from the ceiling will be pretty traumatic for him.

It might also be a good idea to shut the cats out of the basement in future if you can.

We 100% will not be letting the cats back in the basement until we get the ceiling fully renovated, if at all.
Part of how we missed the opening is that we just moved in a few months ago so what looked like a "fully finished basement" actually had an empty patch right above the washing machine that the cat found in no time. We knew there was a door in one of the basement rooms that fit the doorway to the basement so we put that back on to keep the other cat out.

So far we don't have any signs of the cat coming down to use the litter box or eat anything. We've seen him up there a few times by using our phones to look through the opening so he seems to be able to move around.
We put some smelly wet food out for him and some water in the ceiling itself the last place I saw him but there hasn't been any sign of him this morning.

I think if we don't see any sign of him eating we'll start dismantling tomorrow because that will have been 48 hours.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wouldn't start ripping your house apart as long as you know he's able to get out of he wants to. He's not going to starve himself to death.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't start ripping your house apart as long as you know he's able to get out of he wants to. He's not going to starve himself to death.

Thank you, we really do appreciate the feedback/info. I think we just got really freaked out because we know we hosed up and the cats are bonded so the other one is not super happy he can't find his friend all the time but he's settling in a little more nicely.

This helps calm our nerves. We're so worried for the little fella

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is a little offbeat of a suggestion, but why not leave the door open so the other cat can access the room with the hole? A shy cat can calm down faster if he has a brave friend, and seeing his buddy be fine helps demonstrate that you aren't horrible cat torturers and eaters. Worst case, there isn't much difference between one ceiling cat and two ceiling cats.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been a little absent. Butters is doing very well (no news is always good news).

He's still an utter handful and continues to somehow require more attention and care than our toddler. But, he takes his meds well and he's keeping his weight exactly where it should be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chili posted:

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been a little absent. Butters is doing very well (no news is always good news).

He's still an utter handful and continues to somehow require more attention and care than our toddler. But, he takes his meds well and he's keeping his weight exactly where it should be.

Good to hear, how's the Chili Child coming along?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chili posted:

Hey everyone!

That is the most comfortable cat.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Oh geez, ceiling cat reminds me of when we first brought Sam home. It was after moving to a new apartment and the delivery people brought our bed over a few days later, and they'd left the door open a while as they were carrying the mattress in. Sam vanished entirely and we thought he'd gotten out and I spent hours putting up posters for him, the next day I am crying to my mother on the phone because I am actually the worst person alive who just adopted a pet and immediately lost him and I'm like "Mom I swear I'm going crazy I can hear him meowing in the walls!"

He was.

He loving was. He'd found a tiny hole underneath the corner cabinet and was inside/under the kitchen cupboards. We ended up having to break the baseboard to get him out again because it only bent the way that allowed him to get IN and he couldn't get out on his own. Then we stacked a bunch of technical manuals in front of it and they ended up staying there for the rest of the six months we lived there.

Basically my advice on trapped cat is if it's because they're scared then they're not coming out on their own and you may as well rip the bandaid/baseboard/ceiling tile down and get it over with. Scruff him and get him out of there, he'll forgive you later I promise.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Good to hear, how's the Chili Child coming along?

Very well and even on the days when I can't stand this drama queen of a cat, she never stops loving him. She calls him "my big fuzzy guy" and "the best good boy cat". It's nice because she should have a bunch of friends right now but cos of covid that hasn't been possible. So, her best friend is Butterscotch.

Definitely helps make caring for him easier. He stills wakes me up every night at 4AM and when he realizes that it's been an hour since he's eaten he begins his howling concert. He's also taken to trying to escape now? Like what? He bolts out the door whenever he gets a chance and then tries to hide in the bushes.

Like dude, this nearly killed you, what the gently caress?

Also working from home as a mental health therapist has meant that nearly all of my clients have met him now. I basically have to let him in my office and cuddle on my lap or he howls at the door and is hugely distracting. My clients haven't complained though! I did have to "re-name" him for them so that they couldn't go looking him up/doxxing me accidentally. Since, believe it or not, you can pretty easily find this thread and others if you go googling around for Butterscotch.

So to all of my clients, he is known as Cartman.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I really want to smoosh that cat. You will have to do it for me.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
You are such, such good people, Chili - not only for looking after Butterscotch in heroic ways, but for raising a child in this hellish timeline and teaching her the joys of pets, and for being a mental health therapist (it's people like you who helped to save my life when I wanted to throw it away). Thank you thank you thank you.

I just want to squeeze the 'scotch. Please do it for me if he allows!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mistaya posted:

Basically my advice on trapped cat is if it's because they're scared then they're not coming out on their own and you may as well rip the bandaid/baseboard/ceiling tile down and get it over with. Scruff him and get him out of there, he'll forgive you later I promise.

I think this is the route we're going. We just called a handful of contractors to come tear down the ceiling.
Surprisingly some of them were not keen but we found a small businessman that can do it today. Will post updates

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think this is the route we're going. We just called a handful of contractors to come tear down the ceiling.
Surprisingly some of them were not keen but we found a small businessman that can do it today. Will post updates

I hope he's tall enough to reach the ceiling. :dadjoke:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It seems like he may have found his way under the upstairs bath tub so we're hoping he hasn't found his way into the upstairs walls. God this is the worst feeling
My wife can hardly sleep she feels so guilty and we both just feel like the worst people in the world.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Having a new cat escape into some unexpected nook or cranny of a house is just a part of cat butlering.

My family's last kitten managed to climb the chimney and got to a ledge about six feet off the ground, which took some careful work to get her out of.

She then pulled up a corner of the carpet and hid under it Tom and Jerry style.

My current fuzzbutts managed to get up the chimney in my current place, but happily gave up when they couldn't find a ledge to perch on.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope he's tall enough to reach the ceiling. :dadjoke:

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 2, 2020

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Chili posted:

Very well and even on the days when I can't stand this drama queen of a cat, she never stops loving him. She calls him "my big fuzzy guy" and "the best good boy cat". It's nice because she should have a bunch of friends right now but cos of covid that hasn't been possible. So, her best friend is Butterscotch.

the best good boy cat :kimchi:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

mistaya posted:

This was the case with my cats as well. Progress occurred only after hiding spot was denied.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So good news. Didn't have to cut down my whole ceiling.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So good news. Didn't have to cut down my whole ceiling.

Congrats! And sorry about the damage.

Also daww he's so cute. And the top of that cupboard looks like a good spot for a shy cat to hang out while he gets used to you.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Congrats! And sorry about the damage.

Also daww he's so cute. And the top of that cupboard looks like a good spot for a shy cat to hang out while he gets used to you.

Wall damage is nothing (it's mostly behind our couch anyway so it's no big deal to cover over until we can get it patched)

Here's him with his buddy from the before-times when he didn't live in the ceiling

We hope him being bonded will help him acclimate once we go to bed and they can chatter about how we're so awful for making loud noises to cut through a bath tub.

Bonus video of "Oh poo poo I think he's in the ceiling"
https://i.imgur.com/4TDwD64.mp4

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 2, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL what a little rear end in a top hat. My dumb rear end cat has been behind my waterheater twice and I needed to basically take apart my HVAC system both times.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

LOL what a little rear end in a top hat. My dumb rear end cat has been behind my waterheater twice and I needed to basically take apart my HVAC system both times.

Real props is to the handyman we called (we tried the fire dept, humane society, animal control, and 3 other handymen to no avail) and this guy was just like "Cat in the wall? Yeah, I can come over by 3 does that work"

He's got himself clients for loving life now

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a good dude