Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe you folks can help. We captured two semi-feral cats in our yard, took them to the vet for shots and fixing, now they reside in our spare room.

One of them, Emma, has adapted well and loves to be scratched and enjoys play sessions; a wonderful loving cat. Luna tolerates our presence but is still visibly scared. She stays in the cat tree while we play with Emma and she watches cautiously. We don't approach or pressure her and hope that over time she will begin to trust us, but I don't see much progress. She doesn't respond to toys and rarely watches anything but the human in the room. (We never go in together so there's no human overload.)

Our huge breakthrough with Emma came when she was chasing a toy and I touched her and she didn't notice. After three or four of these she noticed and never looked back. Since we aren't getting a play response from Luna, I'm stumped and don't want to reverse what little progress we have.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
A month since Luna's surgery and almost two for Emma.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I'll give that a go. I went for a visit this afternoon and Luna was shaking, poor cat! Our goal is to socialize the pair then find them a new home. They were together when we caught them and we intend to keep them together.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We will try things out.

Photo op post... Here is our first rescue Fery. (Sounds like fairy, short for feral kitty!) You can see she has a rough life now.

Here is Emma, happy and lovey waiting for scratches and something to chase. (Notice the pro tier loaf)

Followed by Luna who is afraid of cameras

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

queserasera posted:

Fery's facial inkblot just slays me with cute.

Tax: http://livestream.com/tinykittens

Fery a few weeks before we caught her:

Snicket is indeed a good cat! :shobon:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Turns out Butters is a homing cat. They used to tie messages to their tails in WWI.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Sneaky frog, you are clearly an animal wizard.

As for Chili's house o' fosters, I do apologize for going dark for a bit there.

It wasn't for lack of fostering, however. In fact, just the opposite.

My wife and I had to go out of town for the weekend so we dropped off our current batch at the SPCA. When we came by to pick them up, we were informed of another litter that needed help. So we cleared out the guest bedroom and set up foster room number 2.

Upstairs we've got the fabric batch (Cashmere is the mom, and Cotton and Velvet are the kittnes)

And downstairs we've got the candy batch (Sophie is the mom, Warhead, Peanut, Apple, Ludo, Tic Tac, and Peep are the kittens)

Pictures!

Peanut

Peep

Tic Tac

Velvet & Cotton

Cotton being a lion

And of course....

Holy poo poo, I just squeaked!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Cat progress update:
Luna = Status unchanged; humans bad.

Emma = Purrs upon eye contact.

Fery = Diva. Enjoys destruction, naps and poo poo posting.

On a lighter note, I turned the sprinkler system on tonight and discover that prior to being captured, Luna and Emma decided to chew holes in every single drip line in the yard. Spent hours on repairs while they peered mockingly at me from their room.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

porkswordonboard posted:

I guess what I'm asking is this: Am I doing the right thing? Is there something I could do better? When I took in strays before I was in a different living situation and my landlady worked with the local stray cat rescue team, so I was more hands-off. And I know I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here; I've only seen the cat twice and there was a gap of at least a week or so between sightings.

You're absolutely doing the right thing. You've obviously put a great deal of thought and energy into this situation and have a solid plan, so please continue! You said you live near a busy road so you will likely be extending the life of this cat, plus if it hasn't been fixed you can reduce the number of potential future strays by catching this one.

Not everyone in the world is kind to stray animals so you should feel good about helping this one!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Well, it's finally happened. My two month layabout has convinced Butterscotch that I'm a bed. This is pretty much my default now.

Welp, we won't be hearing from Chili any more. Suffocated by Butters probably wasn't a terrible way to go.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

*Ahem*

:colbert:

And I'll have you know that when he's in there, he's in his "butter forest."

That is an amazing tree! Butters is a lucky fellow. I built one from scratch for two of our flock and they have wrecked it over the years. I am so proud of them. :3:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
This is exciting! Looking forward to seeing some new happy additions to the thread.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Ferals/Rescued update! Emma and Luna, two of our three yard-capture-cats are doing well. Emma has accepted humans and is very affectionate and always playful. She gets along well with 4/5 cats in the house and is quite happy.

Luna still barely tolerates humans and dislikes all cats except Emma so they are roommates.

My girlfriend was eating a salad in bed one night. Emma sauntered up to inspect, sniffed a cucumber, snagged and ran off to devour it. I'd never seen anything like it. Plant eater! The vet said cucumbers wouldn't hurt her so now she gets her own salad on occasion and she loves it.

Luna somehow removed the vent from the floor and escaped into the ducting. Whenever we'd go in to visit she escape into to floor. Took me several days to outsmart her and close it off. Here she is seconds before diving into the pipe.

Booger Presley fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 30, 2016

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Not sure why that Luna pic failed. Uploaded to Imgur three times and got the same result. I am going to lay on the floor with them and read tomorrow. This usually ends with Emma attacking my moving parts and Luna watching skeptically from a cat tree. Either way I'll try for some usable pics of the girls!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

my cat is norris posted:

Norris is super obsessed with peanut butter. He gets vicious in his demands for it if I ever eat peanut butter toast.

Emma's sweet! Would love to see that last pic working, so I can get a peek at Luna, too.

Luna pics. She's barely tolerant of humans as you can see by her expression.

After this long we don't think she will ever be really comfortable around people. We keep her well fed and with plenty of toys and cat things, she just doesn't like us. Can't blame her I guess. We captured her and took her to a place with needles and knives and other scared animals. She seems happy with Emma and her toys so we give her space and let her do her thing.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Cat tree gets here tomorrow, can't wait to see what my beasts do with it. :3:

Pics please! tia

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

smilingfish posted:

So this is Charlie, a low-fat Butterscotch.

Hi Charlie! You are a fine cat indeed.

Butters is getting downright svelte these days. Congrats to him for leveling up!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
High quality cats and updates on this page!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Holy cow, I am jealous. So much cute stuffed into tiny little kittens. I am sure you'll have two happily purring lap buddies in no time.

You're the best! :hfive:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Is it used and smells of other cats?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

smilingfish posted:

I don't think Charlie quite has gotten the hang of using Google Cardboard.

I can't believe it's not Butter

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Gonna start a new weekly tradition:

Butterscotch Caption Contest: Week 1

Go!

Why are you carrying a thermometer, Chili?!!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Chili, I think the US is going to need more Butters pictures to survive the next few years.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
We have a plastic cat igloo that we leave in the yard along with daily food and fresh water. We made into an outdoor fort warms by adding the heated cat pad for those snowy frozen days. We have three visitors at various times day and night which stimulates the five inside cats!

This thread makes me happy with all of the awesome people taking care of pets that just need some food, an extra bit of love and attention or some dietary discipline.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Logicblade posted:

What is love? Chili don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more?

Caddaway?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Thanks!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Here is Fery supervising the feeding of one of our our yard/feral cats.

Pumpkin is not amused; wants more food!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

taiyoko posted:

So all of our fosters have found forever homes now. I'm happy for them, and I heard all the families were enthusiastic about their new darlings (my mom and sister were the ones involved in the handovers), but I'm gonna miss the little buttholes zooming around with no regard for humans coming through, climbing pants legs when we're getting their food ready, having to keep them from destroying curtains/lamps/cords, and my preferred way of "get out of there": a minute or so of aggressive snuggling. It's so quiet without them, and their mom keeps looking for them. I think I should nab some feliway because momma cat seems to have started pulling out fur, too.

If that doesn't work maybe give momma some extra scratches and hugs, then some extra play to refocus. She needs to cat again instead of mom.

Kudos to you for helping those kitties find their forever homes and bringing happiness to all involved!

Love this thread

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Good morning everyone! Have a cute--if not relatively uneventful--update from the foster room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvVUHkZG6Xw

Awwwwsome video! The background sound of Mom trying to bury the food the entire time had me laughing.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Chili's generous glimpses into the kittenery and Butter updates really offset a lot of bad things in this world.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've been visiting the girls and establishing a routine of play and non-threatening presence.

Behold!
First contact with Luna.

Emma supervised.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Cat helper story
Congrats on your new friend!

I've never fostered, so my experiences differ from Chili's but we've had success with three ferals and the common ingredient has been patience.

Your new friend just came from a shelter with many different neighbors, people, sounds and smells to your quiet, foreign room. Guessing a trip inside a cage in a car preceded this new environment, so there's a fair amount of stress and shock to be dealt with.

Right now she needs a safe place to process all of this which she's found, so let her have that space and wait for her on the floor in the other part of the room. Sit down, read, relax and ignore her.

This might take a while since you mentioned she was hesitant to get pets at the shelter. That was a known environment and she was still cautious so this new one may take time.

Just be calm, quiet and patient and she'll see you aren't a threat once she adjusts to all of new stresses around her.

Another thing that really helps cats adjust is posting pics of them in the Butterscotch thread!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My foster was home alone most of yesterday due to some volunteer stuff I had to do after work. She was pretty chilled out when I got home so I fed her and went to bed. I got up in the middle of the night, peed, and went to wash my hands and was met with a pair of flattened ears. I didn't even notice she was in the sink. Her look said "not another step," so I washed my hands in the kitchen and went back to bed.

Really wish I'd gotten a picture. Next time, for sure.

Sorry you almost died. That's progress though, she's on the move and exploring! You have a cat tree or anything she can stake out for her territory?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

taiyoko posted:

I would accuse you of stealing my catte, but Milly is a short hair, while Momma Cat (or Sugar Sprinkles if you ask my niece what her name is) is a medium hair. :kimchi:

Pics or it didn't happen. :colbert:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

smilingfish posted:

So you may remember my cat Charlie, aka this guy:

Well recently a friend of ours got a new kitten, named Smew, and brought her over to meet Charlie.

She's very snuggly. (Sorry about the fat gently caress she's sitting on, that's me)

Charlie was skittish about her at first.

But later we saw him possibly trying to groom her.

Good stuff going on in this house Mr. fish!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

We're getting there:

Uhh, I don't think so. Butters is tasting dog with his eyes.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I had a huge problem with Fery sleeping on my legs. Over time I've found two solutions. In the summer when it's hot I turn the ceiling fan on (she hates the motion) and she sleeps in another room. In the winter we keep things chilly (lol) so she prefers a fort warms over my legs. Try to give him a better option than your heads.

I hope you find an acceptable solution. You and Katdicks are good people and I've really enjoyed following your fosters and Butters! Best wishes and good luck.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

Doing some paperwork, butterscotch is helping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GouncyUKKvU

Lol! You're so serious but the power of Butterlove kept you distracted.

You, sir, are a good man!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Emma and Luna status, not amused with pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I love you Sneakyfrog. You are the patron saint of dogs in need.