Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

sneakyfrog posted:

lol the one on the right is loving dogshit

its a twist on injection syringe no wonder you were having a hell of a time.

you need a new vet if they gave you that to feed a kitten with

might be able to make do with the one on the right if you cut the plastic off the end but even then jaggy plastic bits plus kittens do not mix.

Yeah that's definitely the wrong type of syringe. Most vets should have the slip tip type in addition to the luer lock. Wonder if it was some new person that just grabbed the nearest syringe or something.

You have to be very careful with heating pads, they can cause burns if they get too hot. You may already know this but definitely give the kittens room to get away from the heating pad if its too hot. It should be half warm box, half not warmed box.

Again this may all be info you already have but just in case...
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951456
http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

Vet called, kitten didn’t make it :smith:

I’m not entirely clear on the exact cause, but it sounded like low body temperature played a big part.

I know little kittens die all the time, but it wasn’t loving supposed to happen on my watch god dammit! Mostly I’m just sad and angry. Angry at myself for not doing something about the dehydration sooner, angry at that other vet for telling me to turn the heat on my heating pads down lower (no really, THEY’RE ACTUALLY GETTING BURNED EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE THEY loving LOVE THAT HIGHER HEAT, HONEST :downs::shepface::downs:), angry at myself again for actually listening to that decrepit old geezer vet telling me to turn the heat down lower, angry at all heating pad companies for making that goddamn loving auto shutoff feature in every single pad and giving me no option whatsoever to turn it off, angry at myself a third time for not hauling my rear end to turn the heating pads back on more often than I did when they shut off, angry at Amazon and COVID for completely loving all shipping times everywhere on Earth so my good non-shutoff heating pad couldn’t get here faster, angry at my tiny rear end country shithole town and the brick-and-mortar stores therein for not having non-shutoff heating pads in stock, angry at God for letting this happen

Just angry

Angry and sad as gently caress and hoping to Christ that it wasn’t even slightly my fault

The other two kittens seem to be doing well and in good spirits, so that’s something, but even one kitten dying loving sucks. I turned the heat back up on their heating pads, and I’m gonna keep it that way, and anyone who DARES to loving open their idiot degenerate untermensch mouth to tell me I should turn it back down without feeling it with their own hands can go gently caress themselves with a white-hot railroad spike, OR I’LL DO IT FOR THEM
I'm so sorry. I don't think any of it was your fault. The vet would have definitely had them in the right heat environment and they still passed so I wouldn't assume you did anything wrong. You're just doing the best you can. Thank you for taking care of the little guys.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The trick with sexing is girls have very little space between anus and vulva, boys wiill have a space for the balls (when they descend). It's easier to tell side by side so harder if they are both one or the other.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

Entering week 3 and every time I go into the room to feed the kittens they crawl up into my lap and beg for pets and cuddles. :3:

Aww :3:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Looks like possible uri. Def get em checked out at the vet. Very common issue for kittens!
Edit little tricky to tell but looks like tortoiseshell? They are almost exclusively female

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I took a shitload of pics of both of them last night, but they were almost all in Burst Mode and most of them look identical to each other, so now I have to go through like 500+ photos and reeeeeeally nitpick them for blurs and other dumb ticky-tacky detail poo poo to decide which ones to delete before I can post any of them here.

She’s almost entirely dark grey, with a few tiny patches of light brown-ish on parts of her face and legs. I don’t THINK she’s calico or tortie, but I might be wrong. I’m not a cat coloration expert.

I’ve been calling her female and the other kitten male for the past couple of weeks just based on a guess, but I’m hoping the vet can give me a more positive sex on her(?) when I take her in. I also took a short phone video of the other kitten’s rear end in a top hat so the vet could maybe give me his(?) sex too, since he’s not going in. We’ll see what happens.

I’m waiting until I know for sure what sexes they are before I decide on names for them. Once I know that, I’m gonna ask goons for some name ideas, because I have none whatsoever.

Oh yeah they can definitely sex them for you

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Bonnie and Clyde

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I saw Kelly use the litter box for the first time today! :3:

Kenan was across the room at the time and didn’t see it, but still progress!

Kitten Lady seems to indicate that this means maybe I don’t have to poop-wipe Kelly anymore. Is that right? She’s certainly old enough.

Yeah sounds like they are able to go on their own now! Good job getting them this far :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I went ahead and took her to the vet this afternoon. We didn’t have enough cash to do any blood work or x-rays (this was a different vet than the one we normally go to), but they gave me some Nurti-Cal high-calorie syrup to add to her food to see if it entices her to eat more.

If she stops eating altogether, throws up at all, or loses weight, then I’m gonna take her back in immediately. Otherwise, unless she starts eating more with the Nutri-Cal (and probably even then), I’m gonna take her to our regular vet on Monday or Tuesday and see if they can do any tests for cheaper. If I wait until Tuesday, we should have a bit more money by then.

EDIT: She gained 0.8 oz since yesterday, so hopefully that’s something.

Sounds good!