Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Alteisen posted:

So today I go downstairs to go get one of my boys like I always do at night and this completely beat to poo poo, scruffy bastard comes up to me, first hissing a little then meowing, it takes me a few moments but I place his face, I know this cat but I haven't seen him in 4 years.

His name is Sylvester he used to belong to a couple not super far from my house, I tried going over there but it seems the family moved away, now I'm not stupid, I've seen this to many times, I doubt this little fella will make it through the night, all I can do is keep it warm till it happens and it just breaks my heart so goddamn much and its patently obvious this animal has been on the street for years, he is just utterly beat to poo poo, disheveled, missing patches of hair, drooling, one of his ears is all notched and won't stay straight.

All I wanna do is cuddle him and tell him its all going to be ok but I know better, I know it won't be ok and it utterly destroys me, I'm so tired of seeing this, our little animal friends deserve better.

I know the odds are against him, but did he make it? If so how is he doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Alteisen posted:

He made it.

I don't know how, I can't even begin to describe how utterly baffled I am right now but yea he's alive, I took him to the vet with what meager funds I have and in no particular order he has:

Dental infection, pretty much needs complete tooth removal.
Mild respiratory infection
Full of fleas
Mite infestation in his ears
Malnourished
In need of vitamins

Vet gave him a few injections and just told me to keep feeding him, he says he probably looked like was at death's door because he hadn't eaten in so long but now he's getting meals and has water at all times he's perking up.

Much as I'd like to say I'll see him through his twilight years I can't, I just had a major electrical issue repaired in my home and most of the stuff he needs will require nearly 800 dollars wish I do not have nor can afford anytime soon, especially since I start nursing school in a little 3 weeks, come wednesday I'm taking him to a no kill shelter along with his meds and I'll pledge to make a donation every month to help him out, wish I could do more but its all I can do for now.

I'm just glad he's alive

Hey, as far as I'm concerned by taking him in and getting him to a shelter you've saved his life. If I had a job I'd offer to make a donation to at least get the dental taken care of - that's something that will deteriorate over time and can affect his health as it does so, but is also loving expensive. Call the shelter ahead of time and make sure they will take him?

Good on you for helping this poor guy out. As he gets regular food and water those last two will sort themselves out. The fleas and mites, although gross and disgusting, are easy enough to take care of for the shelter too.

Many thanks for the update, I'm glad he made it through the night.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Found a dog today. Completely on accident. I'm not in any way, shape or form in a good position to foster, but I have a question after the brief story.

I literally found the dog at the bottom of a canyon off of the middle of a mountain road. The only reason I stopped was because it was so windy I needed to puke, even while driving myself. I heard the dog growling from the side of the road and decided to investigate. The poor dude was several yards down, surrounded by discarded trash and extremely unhappy.

I spent hours trying to get help, on the phone with various shelters and counties, all while getting cut off because of poor cell reception in the middle of the mountains. I should mention this is in SoCal, so it's hot and part of it was on fire recently. The best help I got was hours after finding the dog being told that a service officer would be dispatched to see if I was 'in their jurisdiction'. It took them entirely too long to respond to me so I climbed down the hill and got the dog myself. Ultimately I was told that they 'suspected I was in X County' (after being turned away by said county for not being in their territory) and therefore was not getting help, but this was after I managed to get the puppers safely into the car.

He's a puppy. Not fixed, and with a lame back leg and several skin injuries on his paws. I had to approach him slowly because he was absolutely terrified, stuck behind a bunch of branches and unwilling to move. I ended up lugging a blanket down from my car, laying it out and breaking the branches out of the way for him to come crawling out, immediately affectionate and super accepting of water.

I managed to coax him without a leash up to the highway, where he was absolutely terrified and refused to move, so I carried him into the car. He was a very Good Boy and didn't mess up my car at all on the ride to a shelter I trust.

Now, the shelter I turned him into was extremely aggressive in their questioning, and seemed convinced that I was here to abandon the dog. I told them my story a couple times and they took him in, but despite them being a no-kill shelter with only 10 dogs up for adoption right now (They have room for much more in my experience at this facility) they told me they would be 'conducting an investigation to ensure' that I have no association with the dog, just because I live in another city. They kept asking me why I was where I found him in the first place and overall were very suspicious of my behavior, which was a huge turn-off for me. They also told me if he was deemed unadoptable he would be euthanized, which I know is generally the deal but as I said before this is a well known no-kill shelter.

I think they were trying to scare me into taking him back? I have no idea what they were trying to do, threatening officers to come to my apartment as part of the investigation. Do you guys have experience with shelters doing this? Why were they so suspicious of me being in their area? It felt like they were trying to instill a magic rule where I was not allowed to visit the cities they care for, which is super weird to me.

I really hope they don't euth him just for his lame leg, that would be a huge dick move and not really in line with the shelter's history as I've known it. Even if he is euth'd it won't be starving/overheating to death at the bottom of a canyon, in a spot that someone clearly meant for him not to be found. I'm mostly concerned about how aggressive one lady especially was about me knowing that there's a huge fine for abandonment and that she totally wasn't buying my story.

Which is hilarious because I walked into their shelter covered in dirt and foxtails in my shoes, socks and pants from retrieving the pup. I mean...what?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 14, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chili posted:

Skinny boi

So majestic

DeusExMchna posted:

I've named her Anastasia, or Anya for short~

Cat taaax!

Thanks for the words, Chili. I guess my story does sound pretty out-there and suspicious to someone who has been there for a while, and it's not like there's any way they can tell that I'm legit. I can only hope he can get some care and find a good home.

For now, I will live vicariously through you guys and your adorable cats.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did she literally say this? :pwn:

I would have handled that...poorly.

With the legal threats and tone, she didn’t say “I’m not buying it’ in so few words, but made it clear that she thought I was abandoning the dog and not that I found the dog in a bush by coincidence. She made it very clear she’d be sending police to my neighborhood to investigate me and question my neighbors about if I have ‘any association with this animal.’ She also made it clear that she wasn’t convinced that I was simply in the area to be in the area, because evidently I need a reason to drive on public streets and highways.

So no. Not exact words, but it was a pretty close translation, I feel.

Pupdate: I called yesterday and they had him in at the vet and gave him a name at the shelter, so I'm hopeful that they won't deem him unadoptable and euth him. They had him listed as a 'lab mix' which I find hilarious, as he's very clearly a pit, but I understand if it's for legal reasons.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 15, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

You gave her a safe, quiet, warm place to rest. Her chances and comfort were multiplied by your kindness, thank you for caring for her.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

ZoeDomingo posted:

I'm cross-posting from the Cat FAQ Megathread to try to get as much info as possible.

My 2-year-old rescue cat Henry is at the emergency vet for the 2nd time with a bladder blockage. He's doing okay but the doc raised the possibility of doing a Perineal Urethrostomy. I'm researching it to get more info. If anyone has had a cat who got this surgery, can you tell me how your cat did? How old was he when he had the surgery, how well did he tolerate the recovery, does/did he have good quality of life after? And if you also have/had other cats at the same time, did they get along afterwards or did they treat him differently? Thank you!

I used to work as a veterinary assistant and helped on two of those surgeries. In both cases, it was a life-or-death situation, as the blockages on the male cats had been there for a while by the time the owners took them in. They were both considered emergencies and both cats recovered from the surgery well. Given the situation, both bounced back much happier now that they could pass urine. Both cats recovered fully from the procedure and continued on with their lives as normal. The first cat was around 7 and the second closer to 10, if I recall correctly. The younger Tom seemed to have a little aiming trouble in the litter box at first, but otherwise was fine behaviorally.

Unfortunately I cannot report on how other cats treated them, as I do not know. It didn't come up, so there either were no other cats in each family or it wasn't a problem. As a side note, that was one of the more interesting surgeries we performed.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

ZoeDomingo posted:

Thank you both! He's doing better now, but I'm still discussing the surgery option with the vet. One weird thing: the first time he had this blockage, the urine test showed very few crystals. The vet recommended I put him on the prescription diet anyway, and I did. This time the urine test showed that he had tons of struvite crystals, which the diet was supposed to prevent. I don't get it. The vet doesn't either.

I was going to mention the diet and decided against it, as I'm not a professional and if he didn't mention it to you then it means he didn't think the kitty needed it. I don't want you questioning a doctor who has proven to be good based on the off-hand remark of an assistant.

That being said, did he recommend distilled water, too? What kind of prescription diet? The Dr. I used to work for always prescribed distilled water for the rest of the cat's life, as well as Hill's prescription diet metabolic urinary, c/d or k/d depending on the specific diagnosis. There was also a ban on all fish, to prevent salt from getting into the cat whenever possible. Generally if the cat seemed to respond well to the diet, that was what they ate for life.

You can always get a second opinion to see if you can talk to another doctor about the struvite crystals. Most of the time you can't just call them on the phone, as you aren't a client and they won't know your case personally. They will definitely want an exam, and you can have your current vet send over all the information on your case for them to review so you don't need to do all the labs and such that you've already taken care of.

Edit: Royal Canin is fine, we just didn't stock it because the clinic wasn't big enough for two brands of various diets. I am of the opinion that a phone call can't hurt if the vet already knows the cat. It'd be more of a 'do you have any other advice?" sort of call instead of a 'please question the emergency personnel' deal. Like people doctors, vets will have various backgrounds, learning and experience. Your vet may happen to have picked up a tidbit of information over the years that the specific emergency vet hasn't encountered, or vice versa.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 26, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Forest pup update: The shelter said his lame leg was a minor injury, and he is getting all of the parasites taken care of. He is expected to make a full recovery and will be put up for adoption soon!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chili posted:

Hey all, I know it's been a bit but we have some news!

So Butterscotch went to a different coworker than the first we tried who wasn't a good fit.

He ended up in a home with one of our good friends who had already adopted an obese cat that was on the way to losing weight. Pretty funny right?

Butterscotch is mentoring a big boy named Oreo. And, unlike his old brother, these two are getting along like total best buddies. Our friend said she got them two beds but that they insist on sleeping like this:

This is really awesome to see because even at their best, our boys never got along like this. We're so happy!

I am relieved for Butters, but now worried about Monty. Any update concerning homes for him?

Edit: Thank you, please tell us when he gets a good home. He's also a top tier catte.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 23, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a Lizzie update today. She is 8 weeks old, about 2 pounds, loves playing with toys, and has given up the bottle. :3:

Lookit that little life you saved :kimchi: I'm so glad she's doing well.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

OtspIII posted:

My girlfriend and I just got a new pup!

The only one I feel qualified to talk about is the licking, so I hope someone can field the prey drive.

Unfortunately licking can be a lot of things - as you mentioned it can be from anxiety. She's had a lot happen to her recently, and even though you two are providing her a good home and she is probably happy, it's still a lot for anyone to go through, much less a dog.

It can also be a way to relieve itching, as in she has itchy skin from allergies or skin sensitivity in general. This could be environmental, it could be seasonal, it could be both. A visit to the vet would be good for this - most of the time if something isn't mentioned (like excessive licking or hot spots) and they don't catch it in their general review of the dog they will miss it. If you make a vet appointment specifically for this at the very least they can try to treat for it if it's an allergy issue, and if she has no relief after treatment then you know it's not this.

Subset of medical - it could be a parasite of some sort. A vet visit will help treat that and if she has bugs or critters on or in her that's a relatively easy fix. Fleas are a pain in the rear end, mostly because of all the furniture cleaning you have to do, but they are just as treatable as long as you are willing to give your pup flea control. Once again if you put her on regular flea control and she continues her licking habit, you'll know this isn't the issue, but it's a good idea to keep your critters protected from bugs anyway.

It also can be behavioral - a bad habit that she's developed from her old home, like an adult chewing on their nails. In small amounts it doesn't hurt her but we don't want it becoming a sore and turning into something medical. This would require training, much like the prey drive thing, and would be difficult but I imagine it's also just as solvable. It will just take some time and patience, and I would expect her to relapse if she gets extremely stressed.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family and I hope you three have many happy years together ahead of you!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chili posted:

Still just as fun to take pictures of this cat. Portrait mode was made for Butterboy.

Although I am furious at the people you re-homed Butters with (mostly for the abandonment, swiftly followed by not being loving honest with you. How hard is it to say "you know what, we aren't a great match, do you want to take him back and re-home him or would you prefer a foster do this?") I am mostly relieved that he got help and is back to being himself.

Poor guy had the worst weight loss program possible. Welcome home, Butters.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

It's a good picture of a happy Butters that helped soothe a bad day. Thank you.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have no idea but since this seems to be an immediate problem here are my thoughts:

I am guessing a box they can hide in with an electric blanket + some other towel or warmth to cuddle up to is too expensive, given the number of cats. Plus I don't know what that electric bill would look like, even if you have accessible outlets in your garage.

Can you make 'outdoor cat shelters' to put in your garage? If your garage stays closed it won't get quite as cold as outside, and the inside of the shelters should be slightly warmer than that, especially if some of them cuddle up. A steady supply of food so they can keep building up energy to burn off should help, too. A quick google involves styrofoam, rubber maid totes, duct tape, straw and a knife. Those individually are pretty affordable if you can get your hands on them, but I don't know if you have those in easy reach.

If you don't mind taking trips to your garage if you warm up the wet food that might help them be encouraged to eat it and digest it (while warming them in the process for a small while).

If you can get it shipped to you a heated water dish might help, too.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm glad he's so happy and healthy with you. Good job, both of you :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Butterscotch looks like is he enjoying his health and retirement. There are of course other good friends here too.