Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dick Trauma posted:

I see at least two non-buttery cats.

That's because good ol' Butters is not restricted to the foster room, as he is now a glorious king of the house. Moreover, the foster room simply can't contain his majesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Look! I practiced real good in case we get mice this winter...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'd consider it, but the wife and just took on our second cat this past July. Kitties like Cherokee will probably not be waiting long for a home, though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jenner posted:

:smith: I wasn't able to convince my partner. I tried. I showed them the gifs and videos! They agree that she is cute but they just don't want two cats. I'm gonna keep working at them but even if they do eventually come around it won't be in time to get my hands on that precious stripey queen of yours.

I'm sorry.

I'm quite sad.

I had to work a little bit to convince my wife to get a second cat, but I think now we'd both argue that our lives (and theirs) are ultimately better with two cats around.

It really helped that I got my wife to come to the shelter to see the cat, because it is hard to say no to a cat when they are being super-cute (which thankfully, our second cat turned on just in time for our meeting)!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't think Grizzly understands the concept of hiding

Grizzly does understand the cat concept of 'if I fits, I sits' perfectly though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chili posted:

She's a real pretty kitty. Not as sociable as some but her independence makes her a good fit for a lot of folks. You don't happen to live anywhere near MD do you?

Don't tempt my wife and I. We have two cats - one older and one younger - and our younger one clearly wants a friend who's OK with roughhousing. I am near MD - specifically, DC.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll talk to my wife and see if we're ready to commit to a third catte. I'll let you know ASAP, but I do have a question - if we do decide to come on around, would it be OK for her to meet her potential playmate to see how (if) they get along?

Context: This past summer, my wife and I adopted a 2-year old one-eyed dilute tortie who was surrendered with four other cats (one technically a kitten) that we renamed BB. She came to the Humane Society in a deplorable condition - she had a raging URI that also came with full-blown conjunctivitis (which is what eventually caused the loss of her eye). In addition, she weighed 5 pounds and was pregnant with five kittens at her time of intake.

She is a trooper though, and toughed it out in quarantine for six months until she was finally ready for adoption (which took another two months until we snagged her). She has been living with us and her 'big sister', our 11-year old catte Cocoa.

Cocoa doesn't really want to have anything to do with BB though, probably on account of their differing priorities thanks to their age (Cocoa much rather prefers to nap on us, ideally when we have blankets over us - BB does what BB does, up to and including bothering Cocoa and taking shoulder rides on us).

On my PS4, I rather proudly have a kitten theme as my background. In addition, sometimes I play Catlateral Damage. Whenever I leave my PS4 on the main screen or play Catlateral Damage though, BB wants to play with the cats on screen, which makes us feel 1) bad because they're not real cats 2) sad because we think she wants a cat buddy who will play with her (as Cocoa does not, which is where the interest in Teddy comes in).

I think we're resigned to Cocoa not getting along with any new catte we get and will be pleased with grudging tolerance (which is what Cocoa gives BB right now), but I think our major areas of concern are the following:

1) Are we ready for a three-catte-house?
2) Will BB and Teddy get along?
3) Are we ready for a kitten?

We're hopeful on #2, but it's likely that even with the introduction of a new catte into her 'space' BB will still be very weird about it. Luckily, we have a house and many doors that we can use to easily separate the cats if it comes to that!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 20, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kojiro posted:

Renaming seems to really depend on circumstance- we didn't rename our cats, but they were adopted (inherited?) from a family member who passed away, so it would've been kinda.. disrespectful? I dunno. The pets themselves don't mind anyway, it's all about the tone, so do whatever suits you.

Ps. everyone in this thread is great, thank you for being kind in an often cruel world.

We got Cocoa when she was 7, and we couldn't rename her because she already responded to Cocoa. BB was easy - the Humane Society named her Bluejay on intake. We thought that was dumb and she didn't respond to it anyway.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll have to decline regarding my interest in Teddy. My wife and I took stock of our situation and, given the timing, we feel that we can't support a third kitty at this time :( March and April are very busy travel months for us, and we don't feel comfortable leaving a kitten among cats without being able to spend the proper time acclimating them. We're sure that she'll go to a very loving home in the area!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Other good reasons to support animal rescues/shelters:

http://www.humanerescuealliance.org/blog/posts/talleyrand-takes-first-steps

This is my local rescue, and so far I've adopted two cattes from them. This one finally went up for adoption, but I think she'll have a little bit of a difficult time being placed, given that she'll need treatment and care for the rest of her (hopefully) long life.

If I had all the money, I would certainly consider it (although I don't think I can or should convince my wife to spring for a third catte, especially one with special needs that we can't spend most of the day with).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The amount of Butter contained within this bag is truly staggering.

In order to carry him in this bag, you must have Understanding of your limits, Knowledge to control his bulk, Courage to show the world this unrelenting tide of butter, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

All these traits are necessary to master the Butterscotch Special Mega Carrying In Bag Challenge!

...You are unable to carry him in this bag in your current state.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chili posted:

No new fosters yet. We needed some recharge time after Peaches and Pie. Kitten season is around the corner but until then, have Butter tweet:

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/856390660898869249

He's already got over 100 followers :3:

Cats on the internet who knew?

Cat shapes!

Sometimes our oldest cat likes to make shapes by laying down in weird ways:

That's pretty tame by her weird shape standards, though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Anne Whateley posted:

The ASCPA's personality test: http://aspcapro.org/resource/saving-lives-adoption-programs-behavior-enrichment/meet-your-match-feline-ality-graphics

It doesn't cover kids or other pets, it's about how the cat relates to new situations and people.

One of my cats is a Personal Assistant, and the other is definitely a Secret Admirer.

Both are good cattes.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Butters' long lost brother spotted:

http://dcist.com/2017/06/video_this_dc_fat_cat_needs_a_home.php

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Butters' long-lost brother found!

http://www.kingstreetcats.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=11987550

(Note: he came from Anne Arundel County, so... it IS possible)

As additional clarification - he has been adopted out. The wife and I just went to see if he was still available on Saturday, and they kindly informed us that a family adopted him a few days earlier. It's a shame, because we just lost one of our cats and our remaining cat is looking for a friend, but we're happy to know that he's going onto a good family (the shelter clearly cares a lot about him, as do the animal control officers who found him in the first place)!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

How long has it been since you needed to clean him regularly?

I am sure his weight loss journey has been extremely beneficial in that regard.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

He's taken over a thread, he's taken over a sub-forum, and now he's taking over the forums :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wroughtirony posted:

Momcat Is going back to her owner- I dropped her off for her spay half an hour ago. I paid the vet to shave her butt while she's under so she'll have at least some time without having horribly matted fur...

...and I left my number in case the owner is a flake and for some reason doesn't pick her up on time. I give it 50/50. :/ I know the owner won't keep her inside- when I talked to her previously she actually asked me where cats poop and pee if you don't let them outside and seemed bemused by the idea of a litter box. I just keep telling myself "not my cat, at least she's getting spayed."

All four kittens are going to FANTASTIC homes though, so that's a huge plus!

All of those kittens were ridiculously cute, and I am glad at least one of them is remaining within the family, so to speak.

Sorry to hear about the issues with momcat's previous/current owner. Maintaining a litterbox is probably the lowest-intensity pet maintenance activity out there next to feeding them (and cats take to it pretty naturally/readily), so the reaction to that is just a little concerning.