Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

BigPaddy posted:

The wife and I have been approved to be a foster home for a Pug rescue and we headed down to one of their fund raising events today and there were 20_ little curly tailed snorty mutants who wanted rubs :3:

Could you explain a bit about what being a dog foster-parent entails? There's been a lot of great info in this thread for cat fostering, but allergies make cat care a non-starter in my house.

I've already got a pug, and I know he'd love to have other goofy snort-dogs around to play with. However, my husband and I both work 9-5 jobs and I know separation anxiety can be a really common issue among foster dogs. Is it worth it to try and foster if we can't check in on the dogs every few hours?

Also, your link must be broken. No matter how many times I refresh your post I'm not seeing a picture of the pug-mob. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

BigPaddy posted:

Well here are some pug mugs and some info on the money raised yesterday

https://www.crowdrise.com/6ThPRoNE5K

The rescue we work with are fine with the dogs being left alone but you would probably not want to foster any with severe special needs such as those who are blind. If you have another dog then as long as they get on I don't see separation anxiety being an issue.

Thanks for the link! That's a good point, I guess I wasn't thinking about how much work the rescues do to make sure dogs are placed in good situations for them.

Chili posted:

We've fostered a dog, and though it was great, it was very time consuming and he did not do well on his own.

The short answer is this is a big bowl of YMMV. If you sign up as a foster, and make it clear to the organization between 8-6 the house will be empty, they'll make sure to get you a pup that they think can handle it. Most of the time, that'll mean crating as they will only have a limited concept of the dog.

If, when you get home, you can give the dog attention, it'll probably be just fine in most cases. But your best bet is too just call up an organization and talk to them about your situation.

Also a good point. I know I'm over-thinking it and I should just apply and let the rescue tell me if we're a good fit for one of the dogs or not. There is a pug rescue in our city, but with how much our little guy is shedding right now I'm tempted to look into rescues for other small breeds who won't leave behind a cloud of fur every time they jump off the couch. I know there's a boston terrier rescue somewhere nearby. I promise if I build up the nerve to apply I'll come back with pictures and stories!