Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LivesInGrey posted:

I just woke up to feed the Sailor Kittens and found Mars dead in the bottom of their cage. He was fine a few hours ago before I went to bed, so I have no idea what could have happened unless it was related to him generally not growing as well as his siblings.

I'm so sorry. Sometimes kittens just don't thrive, unfortunately, or have some congenital issue that only shows up like this; I don't think there's anything you could have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Be careful: cats will expand to 105% of their available volume of bed/roost/cardboard box. It may take a while, but it'll happen.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Time to make a Buttervest for him to keep all that skin tucked up. (Sweaterscotch?)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

ZoeDomingo posted:

What I know I'm looking for:

Not kittens; I've never had a cat before and I'd rather have one that already sort of knows how to "cat." Also, I would like one whose personality is already somewhat established, so I have a better idea of what he's going to be like with me.

I'm open to getting two cats if they are a bonded pair. I have plenty of room in my apartment for two and I know that having two will help keep them from getting bored and lonely.

I've been leaning toward getting a male cat, but only because it seems that, on the whole, they tend to be more affectionate and more likely to be a "lap cat." And that's kind of what I want: an affectionate cat that likes to play but also likes pets and sitting on or near my lap.

Does anyone have any advice for finding a cat that kind of fits my criteria? The only other thing is that I'd prefer short-hair to long-hair cats, but only because I don't want to deal with a lot of cat hair.
My advice would be to talk actively with the people at your local shelter about what you're looking for in personality. Shelter volunteers generally know the cats and their needs, and they're happy to guide people towards animals that are a good fit. When we adopted our last cat, we talked about our concerns (wanting a younger adult cat with some confidence, because we had another cat who had some bullying/dominance tendencies) with a shelter volunteer, and she steered us right. Their goal is to get pets into the right homes, and they're happy to help prospective owners, so be open about your experience level and desires. All of the criteria you mention are really reasonable, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

I also recommend finding a shelter with colony rooms or other environments where you can interact with the cats prior to adoption, because that's a really good way to get a feel for them and see if they like/are interested in you. They're not always completely accurate -- when we hung out in the colony room with our cat, she was more interested in the picture window than humans, but at home she's really clingy and affectionate -- but they're a lot better than just walking by cages and sticking a hand in. Take your time and get to know the cats; don't feel like you have to adopt the first time you go, or from the first place you go to. Good luck!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

So we've decided to name her Soraya- it's a Persian name that means Princess, which seemed appropriate.

She got a flea treatment yesterday, so today she came inside. She'll be sequestered in my daughters' room until we get her checked out at the vet at least. So far she seems to dig it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWXrG66OJ0

Soraya is a treasure. Wanna hug that cat

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I don't have any firsthand experience, but I've heard that nursing mother cats will generally accept and care for kittens other than their litter, presumably because of cast social organization in the wild being big ol' cat piles. Trying to find a nursing foster mom seems like a good idea.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Babyscotch is the highlight of my week thus far.

Are there any modern photos of Precious? She's gorgeous!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alteisen posted:

He'll live, but his outdoor days are over, so now I have a question, what can I do to make life easier for a cat that was outdoors so much? He's lived his whole life out there but I can't trust him anymore, so I need to make something for him so he's calm and chill inside the house.
I'd focus on giving him a lot of stimulation: toys, places to explore (including vertical spaces like cat trees), and window views. You might also consider a catio or other way for him to lounge "outside" in a controlled, enclosed space. Glad to hear he's going to be okay!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Cotton, Silk, Satin, and Wool. (Satin and Silk should be the twinsies.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

He's still looking pretty Hoverscotch there, I have to say.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alteisen posted:

So I'm not entirely sure how to feel right now.

2 days ago my brother's cat went missing, thankfully she showed up again, this reminded me a lot of the animals I've had that went missing and never back, something possessed me to try again so I went door to door with a picture of her asking people and wouldn't you know it I found a group of people that knew who she was, rather far from my house to, turns out she found her way there and the family kept her, she lived a nice life with them and passed a year ago.

So I don't know how to react, I wanted to closure but this isn't the closure I wanted, should I be glad I know? Should I be sad at a time like this? They even showed me pictures and where she was buried, they clearly came to love her very much but she's still my cat ya know.

So I just don't know, never been faced with a situation like this.

I think it's pretty reasonable to be sad. It sounds like things ended better for her than they could have (being taken in by a family and living a decent life), but she's still a cat you lost, so I think it's okay to mourn her, especially knowing for sure that she's passed. Just feel whatever you feel about it; it's okay.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Briefly gripped by crippling ennui, Butterscotch shakes it off and reminds himself of his sacred purpose: meowing at Chili.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Mine is "here comes Meyer, he's a berserker" sung to the tune of that weird little song from the end of Clerks. I should probably switch which cat I sing it to, given that Meyer has gotten downright polite and Rosie's the twenty-pound battering ram of enthusiasm, but old habits die hard.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Uggh, wanna hug that kitty so bad

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Is it just me, or are the buff boys getting dark little tails? It's adorable.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

We've adopted three shelter cats now, and two of them (Luke and Meyer) have kept their names. The other one came to us as "Liz," which was the name of several human acquaintances and my boyfriend's ex, so she became Rosemary in pretty short order.

A friend of ours adopted a "Simba," which also didn't last long, and her brother adopted a "Luna" who turned out to be a boy, so... name changes all around.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Don't tempt my wife and I. We have two cats - one older and one younger - and our younger one clearly wants a friend who's OK with roughhousing. I am near MD - specifically, DC.

doooo iiiiiiiit

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I want to hug Peaches and Pie so bad. I love that fat-cat turnaround move; my parents' tuxedo, who is a weird perma-kitten in frame but has gotten chunkier as he's aged, does it with a kitchen nook all the time and it's amazing to watch.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

queserasera posted:

There's some progress with the little soot sprite. He's eating and litterboxing and playing with toys--as long as we're not around. I've been camped out on the guest room bed since I put his food down and managed to see him eating, but the second he saw me he froze and backpedaled under the bed.

I've tried interactive toys and treats without success. Am I just too impatient?

He probably just needs time, but I suspect the best thing to do here would just be to hang around the room while pointedly not interacting with or looking at him; basically, just be an non-threatening presence and let him get acclimated to you. He may be a little too nervous to be getting a lot out of positive attention yet.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

So what are the SIDEKICK, EXECUTIVE, EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT, etc. notes on the kennel tags for? Socialization levels the cats like? How well they get along with other cats/dogs/kids/etc.?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tabby boy should clearly be Mackerel (or Mac for short)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tiny baby Eve is doing me in. What a delicate little kitty!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Boogalo posted:

Gus Gus is 16lbs of cuddles. Until he doesn't want them any more and bites.

I love Gus Gus's weird face. I see he's got an eartip off; is he an ex-TNR?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dwight is delightful.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

How's my foster doing?

He's super handsome, super lovey, super insane, and super healthy. In other words, I've completely failed. Three cats isn't too many, right?

Giant ears! :3:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

neongrey posted:

it's always the ones whose personality notes say "shy, needs time to get used to new people" who are all over me, cuddling and rumbling.

Same, little friend, same.

We adopted our shy little dude because he was just the purriest dang cat in the colony room, hanging out in his little cave on a cat tree but happy to accept pets. He never got less shy around novel or scary situations, but he loved us a lot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Uno's the one who's doing me in this time, although Tiani is a close runner-up, but... what a sweet scraggly old man. I hope he finds a nice home.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

How long has he been meowing and scratching? Everything I've heard about this has suggested that this behavior dies out eventually once the cat realizes it's not going to get results.

I wish I had more advice to give (our cats can take or leave our bed and don't mind being closed out), but you have my sympathy. I really hope you can work something out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This isn't technically about a foster cat, just our regular idiot, but because the subject came up: what do people recommend for bathing cats with butt problems? We need to get our long-haired moron in for a proper sanitary clip, but we want to get her cleaned up beforehand. Are there particular soaps for this, or do we just want a lot of warm water and time?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I found this Butterganger in a Twitter reply thread and figured this thread might appreciate her:

https://twitter.com/NEHumaneSociety/status/1007357253119299585

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Chili posted:

The Buttersitter:

Exceptional sitting! Good work, Butters.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

:kimchi: indeed. Look at that happy family!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

We have a friend who gives her cat either Prozac or Valium (I can't remember which) via a cream she rubs into her cat's ears, as prepared by a local compounding pharmacy. It's worked pretty well for calming down an anxious cat and seems to have helped with cat aggression, too. I'd definitely pursue meds as an option; they may not work, but they're worth a try.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I can't quite tell from the gif -- is Butters a "terror! must escape soft prison!" cat or a "oh well, this is my life now" cat when he gets covered by a blanket?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I hope it works out! It sounds like they'd be a good fit, and hopefully you can keep in touch. It's bittersweet, definitely, but you're doing the best you can for Butters.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Chili posted:

I know that I had slowed down a lot with posting pictures, but I 100% vow to you all I will forward along whatever I get from his new people.

I'll love and appreciate any Butters content you give us, but please don't stress over this if it becomes difficult to deliver. You've already shared so much of that cat with us Internet randos, and I don't want you to feel like you owe us anything. Just seeing him go from Saddest Cat-Brick In The World to that healthy, contented guy he is now has been a joy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm sorry to hear that the adoption fell through, but I'm glad you're looking out for Butters and making sure he finds a great forever home.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

:3:

Newt is a great cat and you're a good person for giving her a home.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Chili posted:

Monty's result was not as easy. We ended up going back to our pals at the MDSPCA and they took him in. The process was relatively painless but still challenging. We've been in touch with them and he's currently in a good foster home and will soon be up for adoption. We actually do have some friends now that have surfaced who may be up for adopting him through their agency. So, not as fun/ideal but still pretty good!

This may not be as perfect as the Butterscotch Oreo cat pile up there, but it sounds like Monty's in a good place too. You've done well by your cats and I'm glad to hear things are working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tilly looks like a fantastic gremlin and I wish you many happy years of being complained at. (Also, LOOK AT THAT TAIL :3:)