Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Butterscotch redefines "romp and frolick" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb9Xo6teY7Q

the butterrunning is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Pretty sure I got a similar syringe from the baby aisle at a big grocery store.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

"not in bowls pls fix!"

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Clean butterpaws!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Enlightenment would be achieved upon becoming one with the butter-tum.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Good kitty eat food.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Catnip and/or treats on the new tree might help.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Of the spooky stories told on Halloween night, Butterscotch was most terrified by The Cat That Was Put on a Diet.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Aww, thanks Butters! It's been a really crap day so far because of work. This makes everything better. There were a bunch of good entries, and I hope you continue to run the contest. It's always good to have more Butterscotch.

Sorry to hear there won't be any more Anna and Elsa, hope they get adopted together.

I just saw you feeding and petting Dennis. He's a good kitty. Looked very happy about food. I predict a quick turnaround for him.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Welcome to the club of having black and white cats that weren't in the plan but could not be resisted. Turned out great in my case, sounds like it will for you too. Mine often doesn't sleep with me at night, but he's nearly guaranteed to help with any sort of nap during the day or evening.

Go previously neglected tuxedo cats.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Panda is a great name for a tuxedo cat. I like nicknaming cats after other animals.

I'm not a cat fosterer, but my tuxedo cat was fostered for a while. He and his sister were rescued from hoarders, and he in particular had stopped eating and nearly didn't make it. When I met him at the shelter, he wanted to be petted forever, but I wasn't able to bring him home right away, and he forgot me by the time they dropped him off and just let him out into the house without any plan. He hid for weeks, came out slowly, ran from any unexpected sound, etc.

Now, he's a healthy 16 pounds of big fluffy cat, mostly unflappable and affectionate. I call him a pony kitty because if I've been gone, when I get back he'll rear up at about 45 degrees for head pettings, and (with imagination) he kind of looks like a little horse when he does this.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

"Maybe I could quit cold turkey just a little bit at a time, for instance between snack times. There are still gonna be snack times, right?"

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

MadSparkle posted:

But I feel bad putting her out because it's chilly tonight :(
I left food, water, and a makeshift bed on the porch.
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing... I mean, maybe she's just wayward slut cat that likes wandering around and trying to make herself at home in people's beds. Have no idea.
It's like a whirlwind kitten romance and I'm probably going to get so burned.

I used to live out in the country, and a cat came and adopted me in a similar way. I'd feed him on the porch, he'd purr his rear end off and eat food, but I didn't take him in right away because I wasn't sure if he was somebody's cat or if mine would tolerate him. As it got cold out, I decided if he was anybody else's cat, they weren't very good at it, and mine would probably learn to deal. I took him in and I think he lived with me for about 14 years. He was very much my cat, and while I've had and still have some great ones, he was The Best Goddamn Cat Ever.

Proof:

Also, on slut cats: I currently have one that the shelter called an attention whore, and it's ridiculous how happy he gets when I pet him. He was friendly to other people before me, so I don't think it's that he bonded to me instantly or anything, but: you like her, she likes you, you can make her really happy, over time she's going to loving adore you because of it. Friendly cats kick rear end and it only gets better over time.

Moral: adopt that cat. She likes you. Let her in. She's asking so nicely! gently caress whoever else might think she's their cat; they're wrong.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

MadSparkle posted:

She's currently snoozing next to me in bed as I work.

Congratulations on your new cat! Sounds like she's very happy already.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Seriously? Pancakes with no syrup?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And I know I said this before, but I'd totally chip in to a communal Butterscotch flap extraction fund

Same. I'd look at it as indirectly donating to a small fostering organization as well as helping out the nice Butterscotch. You do good poo poo for cats, Chili.

On songs: all of my current cats are nicknamed after some other animal: little grey Mouse used to squeak, Ponies likes to rear up like a horse for pets, and Bears because he's orange, and to quote Milne, he's That Sort of Bear. (don't ask why they're plural...)

Occasionally there's "ponies the cat" to the tune of Felix's theme, but I just remember those three words. Pretty regularly there's:
bears bears bears
he's a little little bears
he's a little fuzzy bears
a little fuzzy wuzzy bears
(repeat)

sung to him while in the shower, because he hangs out in the bathroom and likes when I talk/sing to him.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I started singing to cats when Simba (previously posted orange and white Best Cat Ever) went blind. It reassured him that I was there, let him know where I was, etc. A few years of that, and it became habit.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It's hilarious what they do to that little blonde kid. What's his name again? Butters?

Wait a minute...that's me!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dienes posted:

Mine get replacement catnip mice, treats, a fresh laser. Tigh always gets a new door mouse toy. Its been his favorite thing since he was a kitten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQxS4zTfhY
(Play with the sound off unless you like to hear a grown woman giggle like an idiot.)

Where did you get this door mouse thing? That looks good for my jumping enthusiast.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Such a good and mellow cat.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Caption Contest - Christmas Edition

B-A-bay, B-E-bee, B-I-bicky-bi argh no it's still in my head

No presents for Christmas says Santa Butterclaws!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Noooooooo but then there aren't any more pictures of her

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Happy Sunday everybody!

Peaceful sleeping Butters is good.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Glorious beans. And the sleeping little face!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

2.5 hour symphony, "Chili, Fill My Bowl".

he'll yell at me

until

butterscarf formation

make insane cat videos with him

Can't wait to see these!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Cats tend to ignore names we give them anyway.

Mine all know two or three names for themselves that weren't the ones they came with. Not sure they ever knew the originals anyway.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Bittersweet news: All the kitties have moved on to their next step. We still have Mama, we'll keep her for a week or so until she's dried up and ready to move on as well.

Good news: Butterscotch found some drugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL75vueIIsw

Good luck, kittens!

Aww, you called him Butterbear.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Yeah, he acquires a new nickname about once every other month or so, but that one has stuck. I've built on it to "big fat stupid bear".

...you say it with love, right? Right?

I have this orange stripey cat that I call bears on a fairly regular basis. I'm very fond of him. He gets a lot of songs (they all do, but he gets the most). Yesterday, I came up with:
Everybody loves our bears
Or else they get punched in the face

It may not be the best song, but it's his.

I'm going to claim this is not entirely off topic because he did need rescuing. Friend of a friend found him left behind after some people were evicted. They'd shut his tail in the door. My friend couldn't keep him because her cat was chronically ill and seemed to hate him. So he lived in the alley for a week or so, then they told me about him, I drove up from Chicago to Milwaukee to get him. He was really wound up and screamy when I got him, but I had him neutered and his tail fixed up, and it turned out he's a really friendly playful smart cat who loves people and other cats. Best bears ever. I call him that because he will sit straight up on occasion, and with that and his slightly upturned muzzle he looks like the kind of bear bottle honey comes in.

Early picture from when he lived in the bathroom until the other cats learned to put up with him:

So, in conclusion, talk nice to Butterscotch or I'll digress wildly.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Ok.

This is his idea of snuggling. He doesn't like being held, and he'll only fully snuggle another cat, but he's very happy to lay on the desk with his head in my hand.

If I were a cat

it would be different.

Wash,

and be washed.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like the starfish story.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

fuss-powered

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It's encouraging to know that 2 weeks isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things!

For the first month or two, I didn't have a cat, I had a little grey streak that I might see up to twice daily, when she'd run up or down the stairs to be on the level of the house I wasn't on. Three years on, she's much better, but still more fearful than the average cat. A big breakthrough was when she was calm enough to be interested in treats. After that, I was able to use treats to get her to try new things, and it got much easier. Weirdly, each part of the house seems to count as a new thing and requires giving her treats there to make her feel safe with me there. Cats. Every time she had a terrifying experience (guests coming over, trip to the vet, etc), once it was over, she seemed a little braver than before.

The lady that fostered her when they pulled her out of some hoarder's place seemed to have much faster progress than I did, but with a ton of work, she's gone from fearful all the time to what looks like contentment all the time. It's been a lot of work, but seeing her come out of her shell has been worth it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Not every cat is going to have such a dramatic turnaround, but you really won't know what's possible for a long time.

Yeah, my skittish grey streak took a while, but her brother was a different story. He was super friendly at the shelter, forgot who I was when they delivered them to me, hid for a few weeks, then got over it and makes an utter fool of his big fluffy self for pets. Same bad home, much different progress speeds.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Be patient--it's pretty tough. I thought we were making progress when I could peek at her and not see fear in her eyes, and she would care more about the food in my hand than the big scary person holding it, which is still probably progress.

That's definitely progress. Can you do a slow blink at her and get her to respond eventually?

With a somewhat similar monster, I observed that she seemed to improve faster when I took away her hiding places and made her deal with being visible. Don't know if that's recommended, though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I've tried the slow blink and she doesn't respond but it does make her pupils go from "INHERENT DANGER ALERT ALERT" to "normal catte." I'm going to block off the space under the bed so if she wants to hide she has to at least do it under the dresser, which is a little more exposed. It is something I've read that can be useful, but I'm not going to force it on her right away.

I get that response sometimes still. Normally my monster is mostly happy these days, but if she's worked up some fear, I can still often get her from huge eyes of "oh gently caress he's finally going to eat me" down to somewhere around normal. I guess she figures if I was going to eat her, I wouldn't screw around blinking at her, and she relaxes. So, you're communicating! That's really good. And your experiences will be different from mine, since mine only scratches as a side effect of trying to escape; she used to growl and hiss but she's only taken a swipe at me once, a few years ago.

It's a good idea to have someone look at her claws now and then. Same monster tends to get ingrown claws now and then. We're at the point I can maybe trim a couple claws on a good day, but she'll freak the crap out, and I don't like to do things that make her afraid of me again.

It's really nice of you to foster a difficult cat like this. Does she have any high furniture to hang out on? Mine, when feeling brave (normal these days) often likes to watch things from a safe place up high.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Hiding spot is good. Probably can't pee on it under the bed or dresser.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Two of mine like to nap (together, even) on the dirty laundry pile. The third one, the fearful one, would pee on it if I ever left any of it on the floor. Cats.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Is Pie really quiet? She looks Siamese or something, which I thought talked incessantly.

If I didn't have three cats (one of which has Issues) already, I'd be really tempted by those two. Such pretty cats, and huge. Thanks for the updates. Peaches and Pie make everything better, just like Butters does.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Commissar Kayla posted:

this positively massive orange and white maine coon mix

*disbelief until photographic evidence is provided*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Commissar Kayla posted:

She will tolerate us putting our faces in it and loves belly rubs.

This is the best thing ever, when you can have a whole face full of fluff, especially if it's purring fluff. That is a splendid, magnificent cat. They both are.

Sorry about Tank. RIP, little guy.