Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Here for Buttery goodness.

But also here for little babby kitties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

And yeah, Jazzy isn't that bad of a name, but Stinky certainly is. It may have been an affectionate moniker from a previous owner, but a bonded pair is hard enough to get adopted out, we can certainly try and set Mr. Stinkman up better than this.

We have a bonded pair at the shelter I help at named Tywin and Lancel. And they came from a big hoarding situation raid. Tywin is super outgoing but Lancel is still so shy. And they are both black cats. But they came in as BFFs and they will go out as BFFs no matter how long it takes. (I'm so thankful to work at a no-kill)

Sometimes the clinic staff really picks bad names. Bless their hearts, they're doing their best. But sometimes the volunteers have to submit a request to get a name changed. Like little Morticia who had been there for a long time was adopted pretty quickly after we got her stuff changed to Marilyn. And, sure, the adopters usually change their names, but they gotta have good ones at the shelter.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Klaus88 posted:

Morticia is a perfect cat name. :argh:

It's a good kitty name. But it wasn't the right fit for that particular kitty.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's some good buttery cardio!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Once they find out you'll take them in, that's where they'll drop them off. Especially if you live in the country.

You can ask my parents to confirm. They've lost count of the times they've opened their front door to a cat, kitten, dog, puppy (one time a ferret), left on their porch.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
All three of my catbabbies are street rescues. They are my greatest loves.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
We have our very own Butterscotch at the shelter I volunteer at. His name is Sherbert and if I didn't have 3 already, I'd have a Sherbert.

His previous owner passed away and he's so full of love but still very worried about what the shelter is.

We've had to put him on a metabolic diet and he's doing well and has even slimmed down in the few weeks he's been with us.

edit: DAMMIT! I thought this was the cute thread. I got ButterConfused. I hope this post is OK!

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 6, 2016

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Chilli. LivesInGrey.

Y'all are the best people. The best.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

welp looks like the kitten might have a bit of completely dead/broken tail. I suppose we should take it into the shop, doesnt seem to be a DIY type repair.

Instant manx! We had a kitty at the shelter that had to have a full tail amputation and afterwards she was a completely different kitty. Cuddly and full of purrs and wanted to be a lap cat.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I would welcome a happy post. I had a rough shift at the shelter today.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

I didn't stage this. But I won't try and convince you all that I'm telling the truth.

Holy poo poo. I cannot.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I want to share a SuperDuper Shelter Success Story!

This is Doug. Doug came to the shelter on June 25th. Yesterday was his first day off stray hold and in the adoptable cat area. He was there for 4 whole hours before he was adopted by a cute young couple who wanted a sweet young playful cat. Enter stage right: Doug!

Doug also loves catnip.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

That is some serious goddamned mlem right there.

I allllllmost deleted the pic and took another but then I was like "no, the universe needed me to have this mlem."

Another SuperDuper Shelter Success is Ronald The Blur. He came up the same day as Doug (Sunday) and went to his forever home yesterday (Monday)!

(I hope it's OK if I can share my shelter stories in here; I know it's not necessarily fostering)

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 5, 2016

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

RedTonic posted:

(the mlem pic is :swoon:)

Someone on the cute thread posted an Instagram with some solid mlem action: https://www.instagram.com/catswiththeirtonguesout

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Well, it's finally happened. My two month layabout has convinced Butterscotch that I'm a bed. This is pretty much my default now.

I have that shirt!

I am also mistaken for a bed regularly.

The nerdy cat lover life, man.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm reminded of a C.S. Lewis quote from the movie Shadowlands: "The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."

We feel pain when we lose them because we have the love for them. The pain is terrible. A cat at the shelter I got (overly) attached to passed suddenly about a month ago. I was (am) devastated.

And as much as it hurts and sucks I wouldn't trade it because I would never want to diminish my capacity to love and care for them like I do.

Alteisen, you are the best of people. Take time to take care of yourself now. Never forget you committed a beautiful act of love.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
One of my shelter volunteer friends is fostering a brand new set of kibbuns. I think they are named after sodas but I don't have names straight. I might be going over one night this week to help bottle feed. They are just now opening their eyes.

fake edit: this post took way too long because imgur sucks so hard now.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have extended the life of my Armarkat by re-sisaling it myself every year or so. The platforms and overall construction are sill in great shape 5 years later, even from heavy traffic. Adding new rope has saved me cash money and it's not a bad little weekend afternoon project. Also, tearing it down and putting it back together every so often let me tighten up the build to keep it stable.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Does removing part of the tail cause pain for the cat? I feel like cutting up the nerves would result in chronic pain issues.

IANAV, but the shelter I volunteer with does a fair share of partial and complete tail amputations when strays come in with damage (which happens more than any of us like). Except for a few rare cases, the cats become new kitties almost overnight, going from hissing and cowering to warming up into playful cuddlefluffs.

Obviously, we monitor them for any signs of discomfort or pain. But it's safe to say that by removing a damaged/dead tail we are alleviating a greater discomfort/pain.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't foster but I witness a lot of adoptions of the cats I work with.

Can't remember not getting at least a little misty. Partly 'cause I'm so happy they're going home and partly 'cause I'll miss my friend a little.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
ZoeDomingo, I'm assuming you're American and if you are, see if your shelter(s) participates in the ASPCA's Meet Your Match program. We've had a lot of success with getting the right kitties with the right people at my shelter and have seen a reduction in returns.

But even without, you can find your perfect kitty/kitties! Talk to the people who spend the most time with the kitties (usually the volunteers) and tell them what you're looking for. If you don't have a click when you're there, don't be afraid to leave and think on it and come back later, even several times. We actually like that because it shows someone is serious about the right adoption. Plus, there's almost always new kitties coming up. And if you get a vibe for a kitty hanging out in their kitty apartment, just ask the volunteer(s) to help you say hi!

JackMann posted:

And from a practical standpoint, a bored cat on its own will destroy your stuff. If you have two, a bored cat will go and bother the other cat.

This is accurate.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

But the lady that adopted Quartz, a snowshoe, has kept contact and sends me pictures all the time. Zircron was adopted last week. Which leavex Onyx, Flourite, and Jasper. Jasper is starting to get a complex, he has been to four events so far and nothing.

Best kitten naming award goes to you.

Last Saturday (the 6th) my shelter had a HUGE adoption even to celebrate our 10 years as a no-kill organization. We adopted out about 30 adult animals, with a lots of them being adult cats. (We didn't run the special on the kittens for obvious reasons but a boatload of them got adopted too!)

Also, one of my volunteer friends just had a successful batch of kittens, that she got as 1 week old bottle babies, go off to their long term foster (I think I posted a few). They are fat little round kitten shapes.

Successes abound!! But love for y'all with darker clouds right now.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
ORANGE LADY CATTE!!!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You're doing so good, katka. My Henry and Tabitha started out as jelly beans just days old with no momma. My mom fed them every 2 hours, bathed them, pooped them, kept them warm and cuddled almost all time.

Now I have two 7 year old Stage 5 clingers. Bottle babies bond like rubber cement.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Second opinion time for sure. I hope another more competent vet can help you out.

Are the other 2 just playing too roughly with him? My Charlotte is always getting scrapes from playing too roughly with my Henry (best cat name btw).

Allergies seem plausible as well. Have you tried stopping the dry food to see if his condition improves?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you feed them wet in the morning and wet again when you get home, they are not going to starve at all (unless you work long shifts). That's a typical feeding schedule for cats that aren't free fed as long as you are giving the recommended amounts per weight. Chili might have some feeding schedule ideas too because of trying to melt the Butter.

Are there any dyes in the food? My Henry has a bad allergy to those. Is the protein source in the dry food different than the wet? If so, maybe try a dry food that uses the same protein source as the wet.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any chance he ate something he shouldn't have? You said he was getting out and getting into chicken bones and what not. Something hung in his esophagus or not passing? I hope they exhaust examination options before discussing the worst.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Though I will say his favorite thing seems to be coconut oil, which I'm very sure he shouldn't have. But my wife puts in on her legs sometimes and he attacks them like their sausages.

I have a Vitamin E cuticle oil that I mostly use on my hands but will sometimes put on my toes as well in between polishes. I always forget I do, then I go lay in bed to read or play a phone game and not 5 minutes later someone it going *lick lick lick* to my toes.

AND IT TICKLES LIKE MAD

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My Charlotte is very dairy motivated. So, she lives with a lot disappointment at only being given teensy tastes. But it's also how I knew she was really sick once. She wouldn't even touch a whole spoon of sour cream when I offered. (She got better). She also loves all things sugary sweet (jams, jellies, syrups, sweet tea). Since cats are not supposed to be able to taste sweet, I am going to assume she is either highly evolved or a big old weirdo. Maybe both.

Henry and Tabitha are fairly normal when it comes to their tastes but Tabitha is a PB fiend. I once watched her tumble down the stairs because she heard the PB jar open in her sleep and ran down the stairs before she was 100% awake,

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to Triple Cat Club, Zoe.

The first rule of Triple Cat Club is "Never stop talking about Triple Cat Club".

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

I'll head back in soon to check on him. There's not much to see right now, but our foster room stream is live: http://ustre.am/Yktz

Awwwwwwwww but you can see him snoozin' under the bookcase. Precious little duder.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
He's so reduced in fat, he'll have to be MargarineScotch or I Can't Believe It's Not Butterscotch.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone in this thread says they do not make up songs to sing to their pets, they are dirty liars.

This is the one Charlotte gets when she's in my lap, to the tune of The Long and Winding Road:

The long and winding tail
That slaps me in the face
Will never disappear
I've seen this tail before
It's always leads me here
Leads me to your butt

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Oh my god. I'm not the only crazy person who bastardizes songs and sings them to their cat.

I mean it when I say... I thought I was the only one.

I love you all.

And let's not forget the classics

Tabitha Tabitha bo-babitha
Banana-fana fo fabitha
Fee fi fo mabitha
Tabitha!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Kittens are forever engaged in an extended game of "The Floor is Hot Lava".

My bf's cat was basically a flying squirrel til he was about 2.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Teensy eensy kitten meeps. :h:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have 3 kitties sharing one (pretty big) box. I know it's not ideal and goes against the litter box guidelines but it's all we've ever had space for. Henry and Tabitha are litter mates so they've shared since day one and Charlotte is easy going.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Awwwwww Monty N Butters!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You've maybe just explained why my Charlotte scratches around the food dishes. I was always like "The litter box is not even close lady" but she may be manifesting some latent instincts. 'Cause god knows she's never lived on the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

McDragon posted:

I love the kitten thing where they stomp across a room like that :3:

With that pointy little tail stock straight as hell. SO DETERMINED