Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
More! You're awesome for taking the poor dog in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
OMG. People are such colossal loving assholes.

Also, drooldoser is a ridiculously awesome title for the head dog.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Kwyndig posted:

Well that just makes me think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_3NQwtz9yo

Oh... I would totally do that.

Also, who the hell puts a dog in a recycling bin. Well, I guess; reduce, reuse, recycle does work in this case. Dog is seeing reuse.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Ah! Sweet little Cayenne! You're the best.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Rescue pets make the best pets. They *know* and they love you forever because of it. All of my most awesome, sweetest pets were rescues.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Ah! That's adorable.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I want to read/see more of these adorable fosters. Oh my gosh. The adorable animals.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

SneakyFrog posted:

In other news today the kitten is now fully powered up. And black, and can run very friggin fast. He blends with everything :gonk:

So he is ninja-ing around the house terrorizing the other animals with tiny attacks while the pibbul is desperately trying to keep up and to lick the little thing to death.

OMG, mommy dog must soothe the feisty cat!

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

SneakyFrog posted:

And I had a heart attack last night when the kitten decided to take a flying leap from my arms down the stairs. Completely bit it and fell all the way down the rest of the stairs. Its apparently fine, because it was running around a few minutes later.

STOP FREAKING ME OUT KITTEH

At least it's learning it's limits while it's still young and (mostly) indestructible.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
WTF? Who feeds kittens cow milk?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
And here I'm all excited because I actually managed to find a source of opossum acceptable formula. Though I have heard that goat milk works for most orphaned animals, but I'm not sure of the validity of that.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
One of my friends found a feral cat colony in our neighborhood, or rather some of the kittens found her. Apparently there was an older guy who was feeding stray cats on his porch and when he ended up in a nursing home, all his strays went unfed, kittens got abandoned by their already pregnant again mothers. It was a mess. There were 4 litters of kittens born within the span of a month as far as the vet could tell after all the kittens were rounded up and taken in for care. My friend ended up being the drop off point for the kittens and cats in the colony. All the neighbors started just bringing them to her, but happily it's working out pretty well. We think they've all been rounded up and homed.

I ended up with one of the rejection kittens at 5 weeks old. Little guy is convinced that I am the source of all love and food and fun. I never wanted a black cat because they're so hard to see at night, but how could I resist. When I got him, he would meow loudly and pitifully any time he wasn't being actively snuggled. When I first got him, I had him on formula/canned kitten food combo but I seriously could not stand the disgusting farts. OMG. And he had horrible cat breath and his butt smelled all the time (which he ever so helpfully got as near to my face as he possibly could at all opportunities). I've transitioned over to raw and he no longer smells. He's also a huge fan of the diet change. Kitten loves his organ meats!

I present Schnoozl:

edit:

Schnoozl is now 9 weeks old and is an absolute terror (which is great and healthy for his age)

Our resident old lady cat, Gypsy is finally cool with him too

Haji fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 3, 2016

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Happily he sleeps on me or against me at night, so I mostly avoid tripping on him. I got him only a few days after dislocating my kneecap though, so he is super dangerous when he's on the ground and on the move. He still has not learned about people feet at all. He loves winding around ankles. He is easier to spot now that he's old enough to be in constant attack mode. If he's trying to kill my legs, at least I know where he is.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Yeah. Black cats will sit forever in shelters waiting to be rescued. The entire colony that my friend broke up, got spayed/neutered and adopted out are all black cats or black & white cats. She still has 3 of the kittens and was only intending on keeping 2 of them. Not sure what's up with the 3rd kitten. She's super skittish and hissy even though she was found and brought in when she was only 4 weeks. I would be totally willing to take a 2nd kitten, just so Schnoozl has someone to wrestle and play with but I don't want the hissy kitten and I'm not going to take one of the two kittens that she actually wanted to keep. That would be a total bitch move.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
My little Schnoozl is getting along so well with our older kitty, Gypsy (18 freaking years old!). She even licked him yesterday.

He's also started exploring the great outdoors, so we had to buy him a collar and name tag.

Unfortunately, he's also discovered my knitting. You can imagine the mess he made.

All in all, for an orphaned, feral colony kitten, he's doing pretty darn good.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Chili posted:

A lovely fall day meant it was time for some more cross training!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChI32ZPhiPo

Catorcise

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I do the TNR/care for ferals & strays in my neighborhood thing and OMG, you rock. Every time I find a loving home for one of the cats that I've spent time and effort taming and caring for, I do a little happy dance. On average, we feed about 10 cats. Numbers go up and down depending on if new cats wander into the area or if old cats get adopted. There are 2 ferals that actually trust us enough to come inside and sleep but I don't think they'll ever be adoptable. We burn through about 40 lbs of kibble and 50 cans of wet food per month. It's worth it though. It's so good to see all the neighborhood cats healthy and happy. Besides TNR, we also give our colony all their vaccines, and they all get wormed and get flea drops. Just a few months ago they all got ear mites, including our pet cats. So they all got ear mite treatment. I've also got one semi feral who likes to fight raccoons. He gets antibiotics for bite wounds pretty regularly. I've tried to find him a inside only home but he runs away and comes back to the colony. Seems he would rather live rough than be pampered

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

How on earth do you get cats to take meds this easily? I have a kitty that except for meds is the best, gentlest, sweetest cat on the planet. But when it comes to meds she'll rip my face off to get away. She won't even eat her wet food if I dare to sprinkle probiotics on it. She's even super finicky with treats so those pill pockets don't work either. Seriously. Is it just Butters, or do you have some sort of medication hiding magic?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Chili posted:

Wrap it up in meaty goo. That's all it takes for butters, anyway. The Jackson Galaxy pill masker is our go-to.

Thanks. I picked up some of this and a couple other things to try. I also got some of those liquid and squeeze cat treats to put into dosing syringes to start teaching my problem cat to not hate dosing syringes anymore. We'll see how that goes

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Your feral shadow is adorable

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What are some behaviors and other things I should be getting the cats used to while they're young and somewhat pliant? Are there things that aren't immediately apparent to a relative cat novice that one ought do with kittens? I'm getting some cat tooth paste to get them started on that.

I've heard something about teaching them that grooming is a social behavior, in the case of being separated from their mother early. That fits, as I've not seen them groom each other, yet.

Make sure kitty enjoys you softly touching and manipulating pretty much everything. Make it part of daily pets. Especially spend time playing with their toes. I also have always let kittens *gently* teeth on my fingers. One, it teaches them to be gentle, Two, it makes brushing their teeth so much easier. Ideally, get one of those finger tip tooth brushes and gently massage their teeth/gums any time they want to teeth on your fingers. I also like to clean their ears with a hot, wet wash cloth. Use the wash cloth to gently clean their face, head, back of the neck. They really enjoy it and it reinforces your role as care taker in their minds.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Chili posted:

Might look cute, but what you're not seeing is that if I don't snuggle him like that he scratches the christ out of my nose until I do.

OMG, that's precious. 100% worth any scratches necessary to initiate The Snuggle™

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Our cats have a dedicated hiding space. We have to clean it out a couple times a month in order to refill the toy box. They also steal and hide our socks there.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

fuzzy_logic posted:

There's a random little cat that's been popping up in my yard the past few days crying sadly all hours of the day and night. I figured it was someone's pet that got lost but got a good look at him today and he has a snipped left ear and had gotten in a fight, poor guy. I contacted the local feral cat people to see if they know him, but is there anything I can do for the guy in the meantime? Is he separated from his colony, or get kicked out, or what happened that he's wandering around yards crying all day? I originally figured he was indoor because he's all dirty and sad and approaches me (though not too close) when I call out to him. I'm not normally a big cat person but the little guy's pulling at my heartstrings, he seems to be having a really bad time.

He may have tamed and become a pet after getting neutered. I was able to tame and find homes for my entire feral colony except 2 cats after I got them all fixed. Getting rid of the hormones tends to calm them down enough that they're willing to interact with people afterward. Just because his ear is snipped doesn't mean he doesn't have a family. He might even be an indoor only kitty now

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

fuzzy_logic posted:

update: according to a neighbor, someone's indoor cat may be in heat, so there's multiple random male cats hanging around the neighborhood and howling trying to locate her, so that explains the screaming and the turning everyone's driveway into kittycat thunderdome anyway. I'm guessing these horny idiots aren't going to be able to make their own way home once this blows over?

This is exactly why I started TNR. Listening to all those cat fights was really stressing me out. Happily my county offers free spay/neuter surgery and a free rabies shot to any stray or feral cat you can catch. You might look around and see if your area does something similar. Your local shelter would know and would like be the source of the free or discount services. They'll likely even have traps to lend to you.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

The highlights of my TNR project tonight included the woman who's house we were at showing us the bags with the ashes of cats she's going to be buried with and her going leaving food outside of the trap we had set for the cats because she felt so bad about us telling her not to feed them for 24 hours before we tried to get them.

Yeah. I can't deal with other people and their weird issues. I basically TNRd my neighborhood against the wishes of some neighbors. I have a few neighbors that also let their dogs run free. I know I neutered at least one neighbors pet. People suck. I'm sorry you're dealing with crazy. But good on you for doing TNR

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

lol it's fine. It's a funny story and we prevented at least 3 preggo moms from having kittens outside.

Rock on! That's a huge win

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Best ending possible. You rock

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I have so much respect for everyone in this thread.

There's a new tom cat hanging around my and the neighbor's houses. He's extremely skittish so right now I'm just getting him used to eating at our house and getting him comfortable near the trap. I've locked it into the open position, both front and back, and put wet food next to it and a sprinkle of dry cat treats at the entrance. He eats the wet food about every other day and snatches a couple of the treats once in a while. I'm going to start to put the wet food just inside the entrance of the trap now and see if he'll still eat.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

Surgery went good! I'm going to get the guy tomorrow and I'll be fostering him for a few weeks at least. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Good kitty! Recovery in a nice home with clean water and regular food should be pretty great for him. Thanks for being awesome

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

Here is the big guy home from the vet and looking very pathetic

Oh. Poor thing. Is he missing eyes too or is that just his surgical recovery face?

If you throw a blanket on the cage and make sure there's just one opening to stare out of, he'll feel safer and thrash less, but make sure to secure the blanket or he'll just drag it into the cage with him and put it in his litter box

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

It's recovery face. His eyes are gooey but I think they are OK. I did have a blanket on the cage last night and left the room super dark when he was upset. He has really calmed down today though. He ate and is letting me clean him a little with a damp paper towel.

I imagine the hot washcloth treatment feels fantastic. Our kitties always get a good purr going for it. Must feel pretty good for him after all the rough time he just went through. I think your fostering plan is going to go really well. After all the care he's getting he's definitely going to understand that people can be pretty awesome. He should make a good pet for some lucky person

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

We've got a litter sitter situation here. He got his drain taken out today. Another week for the stitches.

Is that when he finally gets rid of the cone of shame too?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

Also, I named him Marv after the guy from Sin City. Figured big dude, messed up face so it fit.

We had a similar case a few years ago. We named ours Dorian because he was as messed up as the portrait of Dorian Grey. We don't have a before picture because it was pretty disturbing, but here he is after he was all healed up. He was so friendly and loving with us that we got him microchipped and planned on keeping him. As it turns out, one of my neighbors had made friends with him too and one day she caught him and got him checked for a chip. Which is how I made friends with one of the neighbors. We transferred his chip registration to her since they both love each other and she's elderly and needed a giant former tom cat to cuddle. Best decision. We missed him terribly for a while but now he's indoor only, spoiled rotten and so happy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray

Haji fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 14, 2021

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

mcmagic posted:

We took one of our outside cats that we had previously TNR'd to the e-vet today since none of the regular vets were able to get her in to look at a limp in her back leg and they charged us, a TNR and rescue group, 700 dollars to examine her and take xrays. It's really just reprehensible.

I pretty much hate our local e vet. Everything is about $$ for them. They will absolutely do anything to tack on another unnecessary charge and let your animal suffer rather than giving humane advice. The last time I had to bring a cat to them, they wouldn't tell me what was going on until I told them to stabilize the cat and pack it up to leave and that I was going to bring it to our regular vet in the morning. Then they finally told me that the cat most likely had a perforated lung and that it's chest cavity was full of fluid. So why exactly did they have it suffering in the oxygen box for a couple hours without any pain relief or humane intervention? Wtf! And yes, just like you, e vet knew this was a wild tnr cat.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
We have another option for an e vet to try next time. A recommendation from a friend. We'll see if this new e vet works out better. Hoping really hard that we don't find out any time soon. It's expensive to patch up strays as well as our own kitties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
You sound like you're in a good position to foster. I know that you'd qualify with the shelter I volunteer at. I say go for it.