Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

i saw a new pair of beyers at the store recently and it looks like they got rid of the velour pads and replaced them with some pleather poo poo???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I bought the grados sr-80s or whatever they really hurt my head. maybe I got a weird shaped head idunno

ah the stock pads are p janky

i love my grados but they didn't turn Great until i 'upgraded' the pads with these $12 sennheiser pads you can get off amazon, place a quarter in the middle and x-acto around it, then fold them inside out and mount - you end up with this:

more comfortable and sound over 9000 times better

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

sennheiser hd650 supremacy

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sniep posted:

i love my grados but they didn't turn Great until i 'upgraded' the pads with these $12 sennheiser pads you can get off amazon, place a quarter in the middle and x-acto around it, then fold them inside out and mount - you end up with this:

Are those over-ear or on-ear?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Fayez Butts posted:

Are those over-ear or on-ear?

on ear, mostly over but on.

soft foam, but i've never had them bother me for an hour or two.

if you need to wear for 8 hours or whatever that might not be the best

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i have some old rear end hd500s that i would like to use once in a while but i cant find the cable and i refuse to buy another because im sure the cable is here somewhere :saddowns:

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

my autistic little cousin lives for headphones and poo poo and we always joke about jecklin floats

he's a good kid :unsmith:

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

qirex posted:

changing my answer to these

I bought my roommate these from the indiegogo kickstarter BS, they literally had to send us 3 replacements because brookstone ended up buying them and manufactured a ton of lovely broken ones.

2/5 stars

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

Sniep posted:

i got the hd414 headphones for which those pads were made. the impedance is like 2000 ohm, so i use them on an old budget lafayette amp

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
op based on your musical tastes i think you will be served well by any pair of comfortable headphones, provided you leave them unplugged

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sniep posted:

Yeah, I need to get better pads for my Grados. They hurt after about an hour or so.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

op based on your musical tastes i think you will be served well by any pair of comfortable headphones, provided you leave them unplugged

my 558s are very good thank you for asking

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I really should go to Audio Consultants one of these days and test out headphones instead of just blindly ordering poo poo on Amazon, shouldn't I

in any case my lovely panasonics at work are falling apart and it's time to upgrade

should I get a tube headphone amp? I just think they're cool looking, I really don't care about what improvement it makes over the built in dac on my MacBook Pro

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

molded in-ears are the most comfy noise blockers of anything I've used so far at work, but goddamn if my coworkers don't walk up and start blissfully talking to the side of my head way more than they did with headphones

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

flakeloaf posted:

if it says sennheiser on it you're probably doing something right

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the yeti posted:

molded in-ears are the most comfy noise blockers of anything I've used so far at work, but goddamn if my coworkers don't walk up and start blissfully talking to the side of my head way more than they did with headphones

this is why i wear bigass cans

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

im wearing sennheiser HD 205s rn

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
the more i wear the 558s the more i wonder why anyone would choose headphones that flatten your ears out instead of going around them

is that comfortable for anyone?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the more i wear the 558s the more i wonder why anyone would choose headphones that flatten your ears out instead of going around them

clown men from clown land

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yeah i often wonder the same

i think i have weird ears though because I've tried many kinds of earbud and none will stay in my ear for any time at all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is the thing of all headphone recommendations, there should always be a giant asterisk with "if it fits you right" on all of them

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

same, circumaural supremacy

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

this is the thing of all headphone recommendations, there should always be a giant asterisk with "if it fits you right" on all of them

It should be the first thing on the list.

What the gently caress is the point of having cans that sound amazing if it hurts your ears too much to wear them

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
another reason to buy sennheiser, they are designed for low clamping force

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

another reason to buy sennheiser, they are designed for low clamping force

didnt know ur mom was german

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i often wonder the same

i think i have weird ears though because I've tried many kinds of earbud and none will stay in my ear for any time at all

lol @ ur blown out holes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
last earbuds i wore with any regularity shipped with my epic gameboy. classic gameboy. fat gameboy.

sincerely,
fat gameboy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my work cans are free

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

my work cans are free

same

oh i thought you meant toilets

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lol if ur headphones arent exacting a blood price

u arent even listening to the same music

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

same

oh i thought you meant toilets

doesn't cost me anything to post at work

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol @ ur blown out holes

are there ear kegels im supposed to be doing?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

are there ear kegels im supposed to be doing?

aural sex lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i bought a set of sony mdr-v6 headphones off a goon way back in 2003, they're still going strong. a+++ would recommend

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I don't usually like earbuds butttt

the zune premium earbuds were legit really good

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
IEMs are the true way because people who wear big headphones in public look like dinguses

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my bose QC20s' right channel went out so i'm back to my ancient senn HD280's

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Power Ambient posted:

IEMs are the true way because people who wear big headphones in public look like dinguses

"my office/lab" isnt the same as "in public" tho

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ie the doofuses at the gym wearing dj headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

yard salad posted:

my bose QC20s' right channel went out so i'm back to my ancient senn HD280's

sometimes the universe drops an upgrad on ya